How to make Pistol/Dagger thief work?

in Thief

Posted by: Sealey.1653

Sealey.1653

Hey guys,

I have been for a while trying out a number of builds to run as p/d in HoT content. I like the set, think it’s good fun. BUT I haven’t found anything that works out in the Jungle..

Any suggestions on what may work?

Presently I have a full sinister set, and a full zerker set.

Thanks

in Thief

Posted by: ESKan.6782

ESKan.6782

Been there, done that. Unfortunately P/D is atrocious.

Assuming you never get into fights with more than 1 enemy at a time, your best option is Deadly Arts/Trickery/Daredevil and build for condition damage. Take as many stealth options as you can to get Sneak Attack off, possibly even forego Lotus Training for Bounding Dodges so you can stealth off your black powder.

[PD] – Far Shiverpeaks.
Nameless Inversion/Ascension/Evasion/Ruination/Impression/Perdition/Compassion/Tactician
Guild Wars 2 will be an amazing game when it’s finished. Compare Prophecies to EotN!

in Thief

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

I"ve played around with P/D because I also think it is fun. Terribly effective? Maybe not. But fun. My only suggestions are:

You need gap closers. This could be stealth (with Hidden Thief trait), Scorpion Wire, etc. The P/D thief is a close up class not a ranged class, owing to the fact that Shadow Strike is your best DPS.

Carrion is a good set. Sigils of Bursting and Whatever. You could run Dire obviously in PvE, but not PvP. Carrion probably better because white damage from Shadow Strike not bad.

Condition runes, take your pick. Runes of Torment, Krait, whatever.

Bewildering Ambush for confusion.

Short bow second weapon set because you need some AoE.

I have found both Spike Trap and Spider Venom to be great utilities for this play style.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

(edited by that baby stealing dingo.7216)

in Thief

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

My suggestion is to have D/P as your other weapon set. that way you can switch between them, using #3 to gap close or gap open with your target, D#5 to stealth followed by stealth pistol attack, etc. Deadly arts and Daredevil, with either SA or Trickery depending on playstyle.

in Thief

Posted by: Zilvereen.2091

Zilvereen.2091

in Thief

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Is it just me, or is it annoying when people leave a link, and not even a sentence explaining what the link is there for so we know whether we would want to look at it or not? I don’t think I’ve ever clicked on a naked link before.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Sealey please feel free to PM or message me on game for P/D advice.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

to make p/d work u swap it into d/p and spam 5-2 all day

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Thief

Posted by: Trueshots.9456

Trueshots.9456

to make p/d work u swap it into d/p and spam 5-2 all day

lol, its sad but its true…such easy mode and lacks skill, completely broken

~Poison Caltrop~
I apologize, If you didn’t outnumber me, it wasn’t a fair fight

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

One element people tend to overlook about P/D is its Dual Attack. The second hit of it does a substantial amount of damage, enough to make even Power P/D usable in world content. And of course, there’s always abusing (re)stealth and backstab…

in Thief

Posted by: thegreatbronk.6890

thegreatbronk.6890

I was actually going to say I made a guide on this and link my video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rjp9HKb-SM

But I see Zilvereen already beat me to it lol. I’m glad they’re being spread around. I did all 6 sets. I didn’t cover staff…I don’t think I will either.

- Red

Redeemer
Badly Mannered – YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/c/BadlyManneredSRRYXOXO

in Thief

saerni.2584

I’ll post a condition based P/D video in a bit. The hate that conditions get is unreasonable and both power and condition P/D variants rely on sneak attack for much of their damage.

It is an excellent counter to any class that relies solely on melee. It is also an excellent counter to ranged attacks because it has excellent access to stealth—with many ranged classes relying on a target.

It does medium DPS in exchange for lots of flexibility. Immobilize on demand. Cripple on demand. Stealth on demand. Evade teleport on demand. Basically, this set is the king of soft cc, evade, and stealth—if you play it right.

Thief (Daredevil)

in Thief

saerni.2584

Try this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Shadow-Venom-Duelist-P-D-Build

It works in PvE, as well as in HoT where it can survive quite nicely.

Thief (Daredevil)