I can't understand the purpose of S/D

in Thief

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

Since we get 20 secs of revealed instantly I gave a little break to my D/D and went for S/D since it depends more on evasion, but ? cant really get why you would want to use it unless you have extremely awesome reflexes and dodge everything (which ? can’t)

not high damage as D/D, not useful against melees like P/D, ( though I thing its easymode, press 3 and watch your enemy die in torment stacks)

I’ve seen some awesome guys with S/D in youtube and in game, even today, a guy just wrecked me, but I fail at it for some reason, maybe the lack of complete gear,or.. i don’t know really I fail at D/D too, if I miss my first burst i just leave my pc and go get a cold drink, think its time for me to play ranger press 2 and watch ’em all melt at 1500 range, but what has thist o do wit the topic ? Well, umm yeah why is S/D used ?

in Thief

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

S/D coupled with trickery is a great boonhate weapon, and the teleports ability with the good evade rate makes the spec really effective at kiting. It requires more awareness than a sa spec, though. Try using sigil of air and fire for a successful burst, and retreat when necessary.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Thief

Posted by: skyd.9678

skyd.9678

Since we get 20 secs of revealed instantly I gave a little break to my D/D and went for S/D since it depends more on evasion, but ? cant really get why you would want to use it unless you have extremely awesome reflexes and dodge everything (which ? can’t)

not high damage as D/D, not useful against melees like P/D, ( though I thing its easymode, press 3 and watch your enemy die in torment stacks)

I’ve seen some awesome guys with S/D in youtube and in game, even today, a guy just wrecked me, but I fail at it for some reason, maybe the lack of complete gear,or.. i don’t know really I fail at D/D too, if I miss my first burst i just leave my pc and go get a cold drink, think its time for me to play ranger press 2 and watch ’em all melt at 1500 range, but what has thist o do wit the topic ? Well, umm yeah why is S/D used ?

Too many crap all together. You played weapon set viable just in wvw (but also here S/D is stronger) ; S/D, S/P, D/P are all better weapon set than D/D or P/D, if you can’t dodge an hammer stun or eviscerate by a warrior that’s not a problem of weapon set it’s yours. Just play with this weapon set and learn to dodge trough looking at enemy animation, so you will become a good thief.

R.I.P. thieves

in Thief

Posted by: Infiniafication.2394

Infiniafication.2394

It was very difficult for me to pick S/D up, but I’m starting to get the hang of it.
To me, it seems to have to do with timing your dodges right (especially key dodges like dodging CCs & heavy damage also with the help of Withdraw), knowing when to retreat and when to reengage.
It is definitely much harder than most other weapon sets but way more rewarding and satisfying.

in Thief

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

It was very difficult for me to pick S/D up, but I’m starting to get the hang of it.
To me, it seems to have to do with timing your dodges right (especially key dodges like dodging CCs & heavy damage also with the help of Withdraw), knowing when to retreat and when to reengage.
It is definitely much harder than most other weapon sets but way more rewarding and satisfying.

well most people think its no more rewarding though, thanks to anet

in Thief

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

S/D = my fav weapon set

but y play it?

people dont play it because it is “good” people play it because they like the move set!

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Basically it’s a build that can chase down and deal with high damage, glassy opponents, because the berserker stats alone are enough to hit high on those with low armour. Such opponents’ only defense is their burst to try and force you out of the offensive, but S/D is able to avoid the burst if the player is aware enough and experienced enough to know what to look for and what and when to evade. Unlike those high damage and glassy builds though, S/D has enough evades which when combined with the mobility used to kite and dart in and out to avoid AoE, enabling it to also 1v1 tankier opponents rather than having to range at team fights and pop in for a quick spike then back out.

On top of that you have more mobility with infiltrator’s strike and return, a condition cleanse with infiltrator’s return that other main hand weapons lack, your auto attack cleaves (dagger now hits 2 targets but before it was unable to cleave downed players), you can steal more boons (although not as easily as before the patch), and darn it you just look cooler.

The downsides are that in team fights it doesn’t have the burst to take targets down anywhere near as quickly as a dagger thief, or the blinds that protect not only yourself when attacks miss, and if you are forced to range, your shortbow isn’t as effective as the shortbow of a more offensively built dagger thief.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

As d/d, perhaps you were more used to cnd+blind on stealth, but you changed builds? Don’t try that old sword meta build 20066, try something like 04460 and retain some of the defense you enjoyed on dagger (namely, shadow arts), do an sd/sd build just to get used to the weapon set.

I think sd/sd is fun! Go 6 acro=quickpockets, and really get used to sd, equip like this, sword in primary weapon slow/nothing in off hand, then nothing in primary weapon slot/dagger in offhand. That’s an easy sd/sd.

There’s no reason an A+ thief shouldn’t be well versed in every weapon set, and sd is super fun, immerse yourself. It’s all about clutch interrupts with auto-attack1 out of stealth. You basically trade damage (with dagger back stab and poison on third strike) for control (stun out of stealth or weakness on third strike).

With S/D, you control the fight, or you die.

Kole —Thief
youtube