I don't believe the patch broke thief

in Thief

Posted by: Mystogan.5689

Mystogan.5689

As advised in the title. I seriously don’t believe the patch broke the job. Yea It does suck that stealth doesn’t break aggro like how it used to, just gotta change up your play style a bit. I mean, if you are running a stealth build, there are many ways to stealth yourself for long periods, long enough that you can get away from the mob or long enough for someone else to take aggro. The way I see it is that you can’t be a Zerg thief anymore, gotta plan your bursts and play smarter.

I’m also reading that thieves are no good in dungeons. Hmmm, I’m usually a great help in dungeons and sometimes thanked by my party members. I always hear this and that about stealth, attack power, etc but not one is talking about combo fields. I haven’t really played around with other jobs much but as a thief I abuse the hell out of combo fields. Thieves have a lot of skills that compliment fields and also moves of their own to combo by themselves. The fields help the party so much as well, especially in fractals and dungeons. So no, I don’t believe thieves are useless in dungeons at all.

(edited by Mystogan.5689)

in Thief

Posted by: aracus.6145

aracus.6145

I agree, it didn’t break it. Just made it more challenging.
Personally I’m hoping it forces us to find other ways to use all that stealth to our advantages (hopefully much more effective).

in Thief

Posted by: Mystogan.5689

Mystogan.5689

Yea I agree with you. Hope it opens up new styles as well. I’ve been playing the game for awhile and haven’t seen many thieves take advantage of smoke screen, this is my first example. Fun facts… Cluster bomb and smoke screen stacks stealth up to 10 seconds (master of deception, downtime is only 24 seconds!!!!), heart seeker and smoke screen hits mob and puts you in stealth, dancing dagger and smoke screen hits up to 4 mobs and gives 100%!!! Again 100% blinding to all mobs it hits, other moves are 20%!!!! Also shadow refuge is a fun combo with a lot of moves as well, especially “area blindness” with cluster bomb, dagger storm elite combined with smoke screen gives 100% AOE blindness to all Also cluster bomb creates boons with other people’s combo fields.. I mean, the list goes on. One of my favorites are the fire fields that give area might.. spam that and enjoy your 20 stacks of might instantly. I really don’t hear people talk about this stuff… Maybe the good thieves keep this on the down low, not sure…

(edited by Mystogan.5689)

in Thief

Posted by: killimandros.5087

killimandros.5087

Its a shame a nerf intended for wvw hits the pve players :-/

in Thief

Posted by: Laika.8795

Laika.8795

How in the holy hell does a “nerf” that doesn’t reset aggro tables on mobs when you stealth translate, in your mind, to something aimed at WvW?

I don’t mean to be rude, but this does not compute…

in Thief

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

It pretty much broke CnD on animals atleast in WvW thus the d/d build will suffer quite alot , not to mention the PvE dire situation. What could be the logic behind this ? None probably , stealthing should make you dissapear and lose aggro not pop out of it and mobs tag you instantly I call this major kitten. I for one will take a brake alltogether and only do the ocassional spVp wtfpwnage on my mesmer. That is all I guess the qq’ers win again.

play hard , go pro.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

How in the holy hell does a “nerf” that doesn’t reset aggro tables on mobs when you stealth translate, in your mind, to something aimed at WvW?

my brain got a BOB (blue screen of death) ^^
remove critters (or make them not grant stealth when C&D) and i will be even more happy

in Thief

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I’m also reading that thieves are no good in dungeons. Hmmm, I’m usually a great help in dungeons and sometimes thanked by my party members. I always hear this and that about stealth, attack power, etc but not one is talking about combo fields. I haven’t really played around with other jobs much but as a thief I abuse the hell out of combo fields. Thieves have a lot of skills that compliment fields and also moves of their own to combo by themselves. The fields help the party so much as well, especially in fractals and dungeons. So no, I don’t believe thieves are useless in dungeons at all.

You’re missing the reason that people are upset. Combo fields are great and all, but the issue is if your a thief and and you’re getting focused in a group… stealth is a class defining ability that we can use to get out of a rough situation.

Additionally, when the Guardian we run with is in hot water, I throw down a Shadow Refuge or Blinding Powder for him to get back on his feat and maybe get the monsters off his back for a couple seconds.

Check this out: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro
Now, assuming that the High Toughness/Low Vitality causes more ‘threat’ – it would seem the Thief is naturally prone to being the focal point of attention general speaking as we are on the low end of the HP pools with Guardian & Elementalist.
This could be a potential issue for thieves being the focus of attention in dungeons when we run with Warriors, etc – as their high HP pool doesn’t always encourage toughness in their builds.

Yes, I’m probably reading too much into this… but I love to min/max my stats, and coordinate with the group I run with. Knowing I have to sacrifice some stats to beef up my vitality because of a stealth change is a bit disheartening… especially when its a change to a CLASS DEFINING ability.

This of course leads in to more issues, like builds becoming ineffective and trying to find Ascended gear having stats like Valkyrie that don’t exist.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

in Thief

Posted by: killimandros.5087

killimandros.5087

I dunno if you got the answer you were looking for, but; steal on trashmobs in wvw is quite frequantly used (well, any ability that you can use on targets to get away and or disappear). It is to stop this, basically they added it. Correct me if I am wrong.

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

It pretty much broke CnD on animals atleast in WvW .

You mean they’ll follow you and make an easy target. P/D is going to enjoy this change.

in Thief

Posted by: Laika.8795

Laika.8795

It pretty much broke CnD on animals atleast in WvW .

You mean they’ll follow you and make an easy target. P/D is going to enjoy this change.

Pretty much. I’m S/D, but last night I was running business as usual. Never really noticed any difference with the mobs, other than they pretty much just sit there and wait for you to come out of stealth.

Not a big to do for me. In fact, 90% of the time, if I use a critter to stealth off of in battle, my opponent will hit it and draw aggro to him, so really it’s a plus for me.

However, if a normal PvE mob causes that much trouble for you, I’d be willing to say you’re not exactly the best player…

in Thief

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Stealth was broken before the patch. Channeled abilities still target you and continue to attack you through stealth. In other words, stealth doesn’t break targeting.

Now, they made it so that you remain in combat during stealth. Like a debuff. They broke stealth even more than before.

The funny part about all of this is that they thought it would be a good idea to not fix anything about stealth and break it even more.

If an NPC has a channeled ability that is equal to the time of your stealth, the NPC will continue to attack you through the entire duration of the stealth and chase you after stealth runs out. This now makes stealth completely ineffective in those situation.

This spells poor design, poor coding and overall low quality.

(edited by Calae.1738)

in Thief

Posted by: Killersquall.5730

Killersquall.5730

It pretty much broke CnD on animals atleast in WvW thus the d/d build will suffer quite alot , not to mention the PvE dire situation. What could be the logic behind this ? None probably , stealthing should make you dissapear and lose aggro not pop out of it and mobs tag you instantly I call this major kitten. I for one will take a brake alltogether and only do the ocassional spVp wtfpwnage on my mesmer. That is all I guess the qq’ers win again.

Well, this will probably decrease the thief population in wvw.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

Well, this will probably decrease the thief population in wvw.

i really really hope so ^^, all those bad thieves need to go away and “vanish”
maybe then we can get some PvE buffs

(edited by DanH.5879)

in Thief

Posted by: BojacDR.2104

BojacDR.2104

It doesn’t seem to affect my D/P thief much. I purposely aggro’d a few mobs on me and then stealthed and ran. Came out of stealth and they aggro’d on me again so popped another stealth and kept on running. Lost aggro this time. They regained health but so didn’t I. That seems fair. I promptly went back and killed them.

I love thieves but I don’t understand the “Hey! You’re not suppose to hit me anymore! I stealthed! I stealthed!” mentality. Stealth is a great tool but not meant to be a one-button “Get Out of Jail Free” card.

in Thief

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I have to disagree.
This has made low duration stealth abilities totally worthless. Like Blinding Powder. In 3 seconds you can’t get enough away unless you have a shadowstep utility slot, since Infiltrator’s Arrow breaks stealth as you use it.
What now? We have to throw a Shadow Refuge to effectively run away?
This isn’t balancing, this is messing things up.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

I have to disagree.
This has made low duration stealth abilities totally worthless. Like Blinding Powder. In 3 seconds you can’t get enough away unless you have a shadowstep utility slot, since Infiltrator’s Arrow breaks stealth as you use it.

infiltrator’s arrow doesn’t break stealth (nor does shadowstep) it’s only a graphical issue.

This change has nearly 0 impact in WvW, the only thing that change are dungeons where the thief is less useful now.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

In fact it’s not a WvW issue, it’s PvE. Thief already was not the most desiderable class for dungeons and fractals, and this made them even less desiderable.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

It doesn’t seem to affect my D/P thief much. I purposely aggro’d a few mobs on me and then stealthed and ran. Came out of stealth and they aggro’d on me again so popped another stealth and kept on running. Lost aggro this time. They regained health but so didn’t I. That seems fair. I promptly went back and killed them.

I love thieves but I don’t understand the “Hey! You’re not suppose to hit me anymore! I stealthed! I stealthed!” mentality. Stealth is a great tool but not meant to be a one-button “Get Out of Jail Free” card.

That’s why most games don’t allow stealth to lose aggro. The change made great sense, and thieves are still very powerful.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

That’s why most games don’t allow stealth to lose aggro. The change made great sense, and thieves are still very powerful.

There is something terrible wrong or seem wrong with the aggro table. When I stealth, the mob will de-aggro and attack someone else but as soon as I leave stealth it seems to me that I am automatically place first on the aggro table. I even tried this with SF for long duration stealth and it still happens.

I don’t mind that we will have to manage aggro more closely, however I do mind that just because we use stealth thief are auto placed to the top of the aggro table.

Anet should look into this.

in Thief

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Once again no.

I don’t no what point you’re trying to make by bringing up this “but but in most games…” comment, but it’s a very vague and doesn’t prove anything.

The change doesn’t make much sense at all.

This change mainly effects thieves effectiveness in PvE, where they’re particularly weak already. So please tell me how this makes sense to you or are you still bitter because you struggle against them in PvP?

in Thief

Posted by: Lofat.2406

Lofat.2406

GW2 isn’t most games, and most games aren’t as good as GW2 or you’d be playing them instead of GW2. Please stop trying to compare apples to oranges… It’s getting old.

I think the change was fine but aggro should be aggro. If the thief has done enough damage to still maintain aggro after he pops out of stealth than sure, the mob should pick him back up. But if someone pulls ahead in aggro then the thief shouldn’t be instantly targeted when he comes out of stealth.

P Sutton – 80 Warrior
Ferg Crossing

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

BTW, I bet that mobs reacting more ‘intelligently’ to stealth is only the first step Anet took in improving the AI. Next step will be probably making Mobs actively avoid heavy AoE areas, so let’s see how the community reacts when the problem affects several other classes.
I wonder if the change will also ‘make great sense’ and Eles, rangers and other clases depending on AoE will still be ‘very powerful’

in Thief

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

BTW, I bet that mobs reacting more ‘intelligently’ to stealth is only the first step Anet took in improving the AI. Next step will be probably making Mobs actively avoid heavy AoE areas, so let’s see how the community reacts when the problem affects several other classes.
I wonder if the change will also ‘make great sense’ and Eles, rangers and other clases depending on AoE will still be ‘very powerful’

They already did this in beta. Enemies would run out of AoE circles. Made abilities like Dragon Tooth never hit their targets. ANet reverted that change by release. Will never happen again.

Stuff goes here.

in Thief

Posted by: BojacDR.2104

BojacDR.2104

GW2 isn’t most games, and most games aren’t as good as GW2 or you’d be playing them instead of GW2. Please stop trying to compare apples to oranges… It’s getting old.

I think the change was fine but aggro should be aggro. If the thief has done enough damage to still maintain aggro after he pops out of stealth than sure, the mob should pick him back up. But if someone pulls ahead in aggro then the thief shouldn’t be instantly targeted when he comes out of stealth.

Agreed. This “fix” needs some tweaking. Also, I was still being attacked with ranged spells while in stealth. Even I know that is wrong.

(edited by BojacDR.2104)

in Thief

Posted by: Okamakiri.8746

Okamakiri.8746

That’s not even true. Every single MMO that I’ve played treats stealth exactly the way it worked prior to this patch. Puts you out of combat, resetting the aggro table. This change makes no sense, both from a logical and a gameplay standpoint. I don’t care how much you try to justify it for WvWvW reasons, it’s game breaking in PVE. Stealth is a core mechanic and main form of defense for thieves, if we cannot manage our threat using it, we’re as good as dead.

in Thief

Posted by: knight.4379

knight.4379

Thief without aggro breaking stealth, combined with low toughness and health = dead thief.

Apparently we are also doing lower damage compared to other classes :/ I’ve played thief since closed beta and its so sad to see it dip so low.

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

It’s not because of WvW. It’s because Thieves were dropping resetting mobs when they didn’t want to. Things like putting Lupi into its reset cycle in the middle of battle. It’s incredibly annoying when a champion drops combat and gets full health.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

LOCO.1785

with culling, stealth doesn’t drop. GW2 isn’t that different from those other games.

Didn’t you hear the news? Culling is gone next patch.

Also GW2 IS different though isn’t it. It’s not the same, it’s a different game. Maybe YOU need another game…

What’s your next angle?

in Thief

Dual.8953

That’s not even true. Every single MMO that I’ve played treats stealth exactly the way it worked prior to this patch. Puts you out of combat, resetting the aggro table. This change makes no sense, both from a logical and a gameplay standpoint. I don’t care how much you try to justify it for WvWvW reasons, it’s game breaking in PVE. Stealth is a core mechanic and main form of defense for thieves, if we cannot manage our threat using it, we’re as good as dead.

No. Aion, dark age, wow, EQ all had stealth drop once a stealther attacked or took damage.

Aion, Dark Age, EQ and Wow all have passive evasion. GW2 doesn’t.

so what? there’s no connection. they had worse graphics too, lol.

The connection is this. In all those other game every attack had chance to fail even if the animation was a clear hit. Attacks going through wasn’t determined by hit boxes but by a set of equations random numbers akin to Dungeons and Dragons rules. In those games in you hit a stealther you have low chance of the attack actually working, things like 40% chance to hit or worse. In GW2 if the animation hits you hit box, and you don’t have evade, blind or block status, there is a 100% chance your attack will hit.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Exactly where is our separation of pvp and pve coding? What happened to that? I thought that was a thing 2 months after launch.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Thief

LOCO.1785

lol many attacks fail. obstruction blocks half my bow shots

That’s a L2P issue, not a class issue.

What else you got?

nope. it’s evidence that attacks do miss. thus, it refutes your argument.

It’s missing because you’re trying to range the thief when there’s an object between you. That’s what an obstruction is…

My god.

in Thief

Posted by: Lofat.2406

Lofat.2406

What else you got?

It’s missing because you’re trying to range the thief when there’s an object between you. That’s what an obstruction is…

My god.

I always try to get behind a tree or something when facing another range if I’m going P/D spec. Obstruction is just that… an obstruction… do you honestly expect your arrows to go through trees and rocks? Geeze… I think your mentality has been nerfed…

P Sutton – 80 Warrior
Ferg Crossing

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

What else you got?

My god.

err.. i would challenge this.. in AC trying to hit the burrows with shortbow auto attack is painful.. (with nothing between you and the burrow targetted)

err.. i would challenge this.. in AC trying to hit the burrows with shortbow auto attack is painful.. (with nothing between you and the burrow targetted)The word that pops up on my screen is indeed Obstructed.. I had a very hard time finding what that obstruction is.

in Thief

Dual.8953

What else you got?

My god.

err.. i would challenge this.. in AC trying to hit the burrows with shortbow auto attack is painful.. (with nothing between you and the burrow targetted)

err.. i would challenge this.. in AC trying to hit the burrows with shortbow auto attack is painful.. (with nothing between you and the burrow targetted)The word that pops up on my screen is indeed Obstructed.. I had a very hard time finding what that obstruction is.

Even so, that particular obstruction is an unintended bug, not dictated by an RNG system. When you miss in the other games Columba mentioned, it isn’t a bug, but rather an intentional result of the RNG system at work.
And when Columba’s shots at a thief are getting obstructed, it’s likely because he doesn’t account for the terrain around him, and the arrows collide with obstacles in the terrain.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

What else you got?

My god.

Even so, that particular obstruction is an unintended bug, not dictated by an RNG system. When you miss in the other games Columba mentioned, it isn’t a bug, but rather an intentional result of the RNG system at work.
And when Columba’s shots at a thief are getting obstructed, it’s likely because he doesn’t account for the terrain around him, and the arrows collide with obstacles in the terrain.

Wow My edit made duplicates..

back to topic.. yeah ok that is a fair point.. GW attacks doesnt miss (unless obstructed or bugged, OR not in range.)

in Thief

Columba.9730

What else you got?

My god.

I always try to get behind a tree or something when facing another range if I’m going P/D spec. Obstruction is just that… an obstruction… do you honestly expect your arrows to go through trees and rocks? Geeze… I think your mentality has been nerfed…

nope. not a thing in sight. nice try. proves that not ever attack hits. mate.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in Thief

Dual.8953

What else you got?

My god.

Either you’re delusional or your weapon has bugs. Attack success in GW2 isn’t dictated by RNG.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

LOCO.1785

What else you got?

My god.

Either you’re delusional or your weapon has bugs. Attack success in GW2 isn’t dictated by RNG.

He’s neither. He’s a flat out liar.

He said half his attacks fail because of obstructions, then says there’s nothing in sight. Don’t need to be a genius to work out he’s full of it.

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

What else you got?

My god.

Game Mechanics means attack never miss unless obstructed or dodged. (or if you are blinded)..

thats the mechanic, if you are seeing repeated misses in a certain area (like in AC burrows ) then it is most likely because of a bug.

in Thief

Columba.9730

What else you got?

My god.

Go read the hundreds of posts on the ranger forum about problems in open field fights with long bows getting obstructed. No terrain, tree or other obstruction in sight. Sorry some attacks do miss for no logical reason. Learn game mechanics, son. If its a bug, then it still proves you wrong when you say all attacks hit. They don’t. Lets also include the out of range bug with the bow, when the target is nearly in me lee range, lol.

in Thief

Dual.8953

What else you got?

My god.

Go read the hundreds of posts on the ranger forum about problems in open field fights with long bows getting obstructed. No terrain, tree or other obstruction in sight. Sorry some attacks do miss for no logical reason. Learn game mechanics, son.

I’ve already stated that the obstructions are unintended bugs. Bug are coding errors. RNG is intended random variables.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Columba.9730

What else you got?

My god.

Go read the hundreds of posts on the ranger forum about problems in open field fights with long bows getting obstructed. No terrain, tree or other obstruction in sight. Sorry some attacks do miss for no logical reason. Learn game mechanics, son.

I’ve already stated that the obstructions are unintended bugs. Bug are coding errors. RNG is intended random variables.

So not all attacks hit. Thank you.

in Thief

Dual.8953

What else you got?

My god.

So not all attacks hit. Thank you.

The difference is, in this game if there are no obstructions your target isn’t using an active defense and your attacks should hit. If they’re not, they’re not working properly.

In the games you mentioned. Your attacks miss sometimes because they’re meant to miss sometimes.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

I have to disagree.

But it’s OK if a warrior has to burn through utilities just to survive 5 seconds longer?

Sense. This makes none.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in Thief

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Redacted. Read that wrong lol.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

in Thief

Posted by: Killersquall.5730

Killersquall.5730

Sense of smell is powerful, such that you know someone is hiding behind an object.

in Thief

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Since this thread is not inviting to constructive and healthy discussion, it is now closed.

Thank you for your understanding.