I don't understand

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

The amount of teleportations the thief or I think Daredevil has is ridiculous.

They dive back and forth between stealth and teleporting somewhere else it almost feels like hacking.

I play warrior and sometimes it’s downright absurd.

If a skilled thief can explain to me how this works, I’d like to know.

Essentially I want to learn what the build is, since it’s so common and cheese, their weapon/utility skills and general rotation.

(edited by Tzozef.9841)

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

The meta thief is along those lines :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVn8lCFOhlPBmOB8PhFYCzLNcGaDaJgAwuZOEeCbhA

you have max : 5 teleports on that build ( 2 from shadowstep, 1 from steal, 2 more on lucky improvisation for shadowstep ), usually just 3.

you have on demand stealth : blinding powder, d/p black powder + heartseeker ( heavy initiative drain ).

The funny part is the general rotation : there is none, a good thief will mostly react to what you do. In general you will have a steal followed by a burst and if it failed the thief will kite with either shortbow of stealth.

btw you should make a DrD in pvp and play a few game with it ( the template build is the meta one ). You will quickly see what is possible and what is not.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Well after the Update I’ve seen a lot more sword thieves than usual in WvW at least, and the ports on Sword builds are pretty much endless thanks to IS.

But yeah, play Thief for a spin. Best way to learn is by doing.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Well after the Update I’ve seen a lot more sword thieves than usual in WvW at least, and the ports on Sword builds are pretty much endless thanks to IS.

Lucky you, in Our MU B bay are still full of d/d condi spammers and the odd power thief but thats still d/p.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Lucky you, in Our MU B bay are still full of d/d condi spammers and the odd power thief but thats still d/p.

Oh don’t get me wrong, they are still dominant over here as well… Just not as much as before.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Interesting as to how they distributed across servers. On HOD and the servers I face I rarely see D/D condition. I recall seeing one just a few weeks before I went on vacation and have seen none since.

I played one for a while to get a grip as to how they worked so can readily recognize them,

There are a whole pile more p/p thieves then D/d condition thieves.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Khazik.8052

Khazik.8052

I’ve been doing my s/d tricks/acro/dd build. Ports with s/d #2, withdraw, RFI, and shadow step if I feel like it. So I have endless ports, condi removal, disengage/kite, and if I run d/p swap (with or w/o bound) – add stealth.

If you party doesn’t have another thief to match my mobility, you’re not catching me – even d/p or staff thieves have issues keeping up.

“No valid path to target” – Thief life (Dragonbrand)

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Lord Velar.1509

Lord Velar.1509

The amount of teleportations the thief or I think Daredevil has is ridiculous.

They dive back and forth between stealth and teleporting somewhere else it almost feels like hacking.

I play warrior and sometimes it’s downright absurd.

If a skilled thief can explain to me how this works, I’d like to know.

Essentially I want to learn what the build is, since it’s so common and cheese, their weapon/utility skills and general rotation.

They may seem ridiculous, but they are very much needed for pvp as thief is meant to be risk vs reward

High risk, High reward

Meaning that we can dish out tons of damage, but cant really take any and those teleports and invis’ are really our only means of defense unlike guards who have blocks and other classes who have invulns

Shadow step, bow 5, theres a trap that has a teleport with amazing range to it, most weapon sets for thief have at least 1, etc

A good thief with even the meta build will manage to chain the teleports to cover long distances

As for the invis’, if I’m running power i either use them to escape outnumbered fights i know i cant win, or to get a free back stab in

It seems unnecessary at first, but once you get a good understanding of it all itll make sense

Youll also understand why there’s a “witch hunt” for thieves lol

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

you should try playing around with sword thief you will find out quickly a thief cant do it as often as it seems. best way to fight a thief is to have a way to deal with blind after that you just trade hit.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

High risk high reward is kind of op. I play spec that have higher risk than thief and low reward as kitten. I don’t even understand why thief have stealth because they can survive without stealth better than many other classes.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

I don't understand

in Thief

Lord Velar.1509

High risk high reward is kind of op. I play spec that have higher risk than thief and low reward as kitten. I don’t even understand why thief have stealth because they can survive without stealth better than many other classes.

What about engis? Rangers? Mesmers?

It make sense for thief to have invis since its the rogue class of the game

And that’s not exactly true, even as an s/d thief, if i don’t land steal on the other thief that does I’m going to be in hot water

So what you want guards and warriors to have invis?

And what class is that? I have a necros, a ranger, a guard, a Mesmer, ive had a rev too

Before patch there wasn’t any class that wasn’t able to compete with the rest, and even though necros’ shroud trait got nerfed and band aid, i still take to damage with him every match so I’m confused as to what class youre referring to

Also, invis doesn’t equal invincibility so even after they go invis you can still damage them

So what was your issue with thieves having invisibility again?

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: rbbthole.9074

rbbthole.9074

He tried to look polite but he is essentially another whiner, next one.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

He tried to look polite but he is essentially another whiner, next one.

Not to mention a warrior who has trouble killing thieves. I’ve been S/d for four years. Competent warriors are always a tough fight, and often don’t go my way.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

Thanks for the posts guys, this helps a lot for a returning GW2 player after 2 years.

I was trying to swat flies in my room recently, and all of a sudden I Mr. Miyagi’d myself and realized fighting Thieves/Daredevil’s (Mostly DD) was like trying to swat a fly.

Anyway, I dueled a few thieves and crafted a better build with some helpful Warriors who’ve been playing more often recently.

Really it’s not so much Thieves that are the issue, it’s Daredevil’s, the extra dodge and ways to get Endurance back get’s them all over the place it’s absurd. Like a fly, gotta swat em and maintain the energy and strength to continue the swatting till they go splat.

Now….about mesmers..

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Now….about mesmers..

DODGE!

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Now….about mesmers..

DODGE!

Drink ectoplasm !

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Now….about mesmers..

DODGE!

Drink ectoplasm !

Breakfast of Champions :p

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Thanks for the posts guys, this helps a lot for a returning GW2 player after 2 years.

I was trying to swat flies in my room recently, and all of a sudden I Mr. Miyagi’d myself and realized fighting Thieves/Daredevil’s (Mostly DD) was like trying to swat a fly.

Anyway, I dueled a few thieves and crafted a better build with some helpful Warriors who’ve been playing more often recently.

Really it’s not so much Thieves that are the issue, it’s Daredevil’s, the extra dodge and ways to get Endurance back get’s them all over the place it’s absurd. Like a fly, gotta swat em and maintain the energy and strength to continue the swatting till they go splat.

Now….about mesmers..

That’s not just daredevils, brother. Base thieves are pretty kitten stupid too with a near endless supply of dodges and blinds.

Shortbow? Gives a dodge on demand.
Pistol off hand? Gives blind on demand.
Double Daggers? Dodge that bleeds
Healing skills? Has a dodge on a 20sec cool down.
Acrobatics? Makes dodging cheaper.
If I recall correctly… there’s a dodge in the utilties.
Blind in the utilities.
A “GET OVER HERE” if you want to run away like a kitten.
Oh… and one of the trees gives the thief boons for successfully evading attacks.

There’s a reason why Bruiser build thiefs are so uncommon. It’s because they can prety much dodge anything.

I don't understand

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Now….about mesmers..

That’s not just daredevils, brother. Base thieves are pretty kitten stupid too with a near endless supply of dodges and blinds.

Blind in the utilities.
Dagger’s basic attacks restores endurance.
Oh… and one of the trees gives the thief boons for successfully evading attacks.

There’s a reason why Bruiser build thiefs are so uncommon. It’s because they can prety much dodge anything.

I don't understand

in Thief

Lord Velar.1509

Now….about mesmers..

Blind in the utilities.

…..you really just over exaggerated that, and I mean over exaggerated

There are no endless dodges, eventually due to endurance and initiative burn out we either fight or run

Not to mention the dodges aren’t actually still yet endless, just like how we have to time the frame at which your ability begins to dodge it you can count the frames to where our evades will end

That is how I win 90% of my thief on thief fights, instead of spamming like a numbskull and I know how their evades work, I simply count and then steal to cut them off from dodging again

Matter of fact ive had plenty of other players from other classes do it to me

Each evade has a frame, it starts, then it ends, you can catch a thief between the evades by timing it right, your reflexes need to be on point, but its do able

Not to mention that also, a thief with that many evades isn’t going to be doing much in terms of damage

The best a build like that is for is for capping, decapping, and quick and I do mean quick +1s

2/10 nice try