I fell in love with shadow trap

in Thief

Posted by: castillle.5248

castillle.5248

Everyone knows that shadow trap has to be the most Op ability EVER! It effectively allows you to have 1 node completely undefended and itll just telEport you to it! Yes there is a max range on it… But it is friggin huge! In quite a bit of maps, you can be in mid and have the trap on either side and you get pulled right to it if its activated!

Simply amazing skill! Have any of you guys tried it yet? My disruptive tanky condition thie uses it and i can ruin peoples days with it o.o

Theyd be all like “freee node!” and id be like ZIPPIDY DOODAA EAT MY CALTROPS!

Its kinda awkward though when im in a fight and i get zipped to the trap… Lol

Test it out! :o

in Thief

Posted by: Robert.9086

Robert.9086

5 second stealth timer too without the trait, and it’s really great for getting the backstab opener on them because they don’t know you’re going to be there. It’s a really good trap, one of my favorite.

Maguuma
Inceptio [NOVA]
Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

I never see anyone using the traps for thief, and I just don’t get it. Shadow Trap, and Tripwire are great.

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

castille@,the only problem with Shadow Trap is that you have 3 UI slots.
If 1 is Shadow Trap,2 is Caltrops ,3 would be either Stun Breaker OR Shadow Refuge.Imo both Shadow Refuge or the Stun breaker(Roll for Ini,or Shadowstep) are far more important and useful that Shadow Trap.

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

ZLE

castille@,the only problem with Shadow Trap is that you have 3 UI slots.
If 1 is Shadow Trap,2 is Caltrops ,3 would be either Stun Breaker OR Shadow Refuge.Imo both Shadow Refuge or the Stun breaker(Roll for Ini,or Shadowstep) are far more important and useful that Shadow Trap.

Shadow refuge or shadowstep won’t teleport you across a map behind someone’s back, who just began to ninja a base. But if you just run around killing random people, then shadow trap (and traps in general) is inferior to pretty much any other skill you can choose.
BTW. you can have built-in stun breaker from sword in main hand.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

The only reason I don’t use it is that I tried it in beta and could never get it to actually work. Maybe I should give it another go.

in Thief

ZLE.8293

Dagins@,condition builds don’t run well with sword.

in Thief

castillle.5248

@ZLE – Shadow refuge is not a very good ability to have. Usually, they just flood that with aoe and youre dead even with shadow rejuvenation. Or worse. They knock you out. I stick to blinding powder or roll for initiative. If I get teleported and Im out of combat, Im definitely using tripwire though. And yes. Traps are friggin awesome.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

@ZLE – Shadow refuge is not a very good ability to have. Usually, they just flood that with aoe and youre dead even with shadow rejuvenation. Or worse. They knock you out. I stick to blinding powder or roll for initiative. If I get teleported and Im out of combat, Im definitely using tripwire though. And yes. Traps are friggin awesome.

If you’re only using Shadow Refuge to escape from a bunch of people chasing you, you’re missing the majority of one of the thief’s most malleable and powerful utility skills.

in Thief

ZLE.8293

Peace.Stick to Shadow Trap,i will stick to the only thief’s Dark Combo Field.

in Thief

castillle.5248

Tuli – My experience with it even as an initiation tool, everyone just peppers the shadow refuge with aoes or guardians just knock me right out. How do you use shadow refuge? aoe blindness/lifesteal? o.o

Edit : Im only talking about pvp. I use shadow refuge in pve but for some reason, people always knock me out/pepper me with aoes in pvp.

(edited by castillle.5248)

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Throw it on downed allies, throw it on allies trying to stomp enemies, shoot out of it to heal yourself, throw it on a point to heal allies shooting enemies standing on the point, use it to do multiple stealthed autoattacks (like backstab or tactical strike), use before you round the corner into combat to give yourself 15 seconds of stealth movement without any indication that you’re around, use it and SS out around a corner while they AE the circle they think you’re in, throw it down and drop a bunch of caltrops in it for when someone comes to try and knock you out.

It is a targetable pulsing healing combo field, there’s so much that can be done with it, both with the effects it actually has and the reactions it creates in your opponents.

in Thief

castillle.5248

Ill try the juking thing with shadow step! But even with 2000 toughness, all people seem to do is peppering it with aoes and killing me even from full hp and like.500 hp ticking on it (shadow refuge ticks + shadow rejuv) .
As for 15 seconds of stealth movement…I tried that once but even after the aoe pulse thing faded, I got the revealed debuff the moment i leave where the circle was. Is there a way of not makign that happen or should I wait inside longer?

in Thief

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

Yea, i used shadow refuge for a while. Then I went to wvw and got pwned cuz I depended on it too much. Instead of using tripwire (had that for a couple of weeks also), I use caltrops, MAIN reason being the kitten wire dies after 1 person hits it -.-’ Caltrops, however, can cripple MOA than one. Traps are SO aweome … but for thieves there’s so many awesome utilities it’s really hard to choose

in Thief

Posted by: Lan.1968

Lan.1968

I’m surprised you would focus your build to perform more than one task by using shadow trap. I’d focus on my own safety first and defeating my opponents first before defending nodes. Otherwise, I’d go pure defensive utility skills if I focus solely on defense.

in Thief

Posted by: Shadow.1568

Shadow.1568

Last time i tested this it still followed the rules of shadowstep. So if i was on a ledge or something or around a corner the trap would not work. Unless this has been changed?

If this has been changed i would like actual evidence to support please.

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

I’m surprised you would focus your build to perform more than one task by using shadow trap. I’d focus on my own safety first and defeating my opponents first before defending nodes. Otherwise, I’d go pure defensive utility skills if I focus solely on defense.

Shadow trap is high risk – high reward ability. You can save a day with it, or waste a skill slot. Risk dramatically decreases, when you begin to tactically plan your moves. Tactical thinking is hard, and often requires use of teammates. For me, it’s one of the most powerful abilities in thief’s inventory. Sure, sometimes I waste it’s potential, but in most games it gives me huge advantages.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

If you’re only using Shadow Refuge to escape from a bunch of people chasing you, you’re missing the majority of one of the thief’s most malleable and powerful utility skills.

This. Anyone who doesn’t think Shadow Refuge is the most awesome skill ever is Doing It Wrong. It is not to be used for escaping, but it is amazing for saving or ressing allies and stomping enemies. Start thinking more about your team than about yourself and you’ll realise how good the skill is.

in Thief

Posted by: Sleylock.9413

Sleylock.9413

I like using it for doubling back (to a capture point for example). I set the trap while leading an enemy away from the point. Once tirggered I run invisibly in the oposite direction back towards the point.

in Thief

Posted by: Teerwik.1650

Teerwik.1650

Shadow trap sounds like it works very well for spvp.

(edited by Teerwik.1650)

in Thief

Posted by: rickshaw.5279

rickshaw.5279

I slot Caltrops, Shadow Trap & Reguge. I use primarily an anti bunker build. Shadow trap is invaluable for the exact reason the OP notes. I know, I know… a non back stabber thief that prioritizes winning the match and not kill count.

That’s just crazy talk.

in Thief

Posted by: Zeveross.4320

Zeveross.4320

Seriously great skill. I tried it out after seeing this thread and I’m hooked for sPvP. It’s also good in WvW for small skirmishes, you just poof and they have no idea where you went. It’s hilarious to watch people bombard the area you last were with AoEs while you sit back, laugh, and plot their demise recover.

in Thief

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I like to use this trap when the zerg is chasing me down. If I have a bit of a lead I will drop it and keep running. Soon as I am teleported back, I run the opposite way.

One problem I have with it is that white critters trigger it. I was very confused one day when I ported back and could only find a bunny by my trap.

~ AoN ~