I'm done playing thief. How about you?

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Thief has lost what little fun it brings. Bad players who know nothing about the class are still complaining. Anet is still nerfing the profession when 60% of its traits are situational or weak and has nothing going for it besides being the best at ganking terribads. Seems like a good time to ditch it.

A few days ago I placed my thief on the shelf and only use him for gathering and crafting. I am still looking for a new main and even though I like guards and warriors for their low skill ceiling I don’t want either of them MAINLY because every thief friend I know of switched to one of them. I like to keep myself away from the general public so I guess war and guards are out. I still have an ele and mesmer to work on. Whatever…

If you are suffering from a severe case of the ****its, which class do YOU plan on switching to once you retire your thief?

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

worrior or guard because of lower brain usage

in Thief

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

I have always found my thief fun and useful in pve content. I bring a dps build with stealths, but honestly instead of backstabbing as originally intended, more often than not I just end up spamming cluster bomb and using my stealths/smoke wall as support as a sort of “ninja-medic”.

On day two of the early release I made a charrdian, which eventually became a healing guardian (mace/shield +staff full clerics, helaing symbols etc.) I have always enjoyed playing both and felt it was great being able to switch back and forth as I wished to keep things fresh.

Recently I’ve found that I leave my thief in the mists or LA more and more, even with my allegedly “sub-optimal” heal build my guardian feels like it contributes so much more to the group, also, in all honesty the content is WAY easier on a guardian, which makes sense it is a supporty class that I took all the way into support, but honestly I feel that my thief ends up being “high risk…..same reward” with most fights. Stuff doesn’t seem to die any faster, I’m just a lot more squishy and aside from cluster bomb spam into fields and the occasional shadow refuge, I don’t feel like I do much.

Combine that with nerf after nerf, and all the unnecessary whining about the profession, it is just hard to take off the shelf too much anymore. hopefully that will change, but who knows…

in Thief

Posted by: Adrift.8596

Adrift.8596

Never ever ever would quit a thief for a warrior or guardian. Why? because I don’t like be one of 32% of game population of warriors who picked this class because it’s OP and easier to play than any other.

Lets see mhm:
Best damage?
Best health?
Best defense?
Same movement as thiefs?
Huge buffs? (compared to thief which has 0:D )
Better damage boost traits?

Yeah kinda because of that:) if Quit then for any other high skill required class like Engi or Mesm.

P.s. Plz give warriors like 10 sec of stealth and few pets then we can actually make a warrior wars 2 begin

I wonder if that would make the population drop same amount like it did on pandas in you know what game:)

No offence just my sarcastic oppinion.

so yeah back to the topic if not thief… Engi, Mesm all the way.

in Thief

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

I’ll never switch my thief for nobrain class like warrior or guard.

And tbh they are easy frags since 32% of population plays them but only 0,00001% knows how to do so.

Anyway thief is still great from my experience. Just sux we are left with 1 build only :/

Still playing and don’t think I ever stop (unless they kitten up our last build which is more than possible knowing what they did in the past).

in Thief

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

I would never buy ascended gear for my thief . Because
i know this class has no future , nerfs will never
Stop . So yea I “main” a warrior .

in Thief

Posted by: Tempest Darqmane.4862

Tempest Darqmane.4862

Biggest mistake i ever made was kitten ing away laurels on my thief. I PROBABLY would still be playing if I spent them on gear for (surprise, surprise) my warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I enjoy thief because I have fun with it. Stealth makes its own fun. Get in on someone and back out and just watch them failflail around trying to hit something that isn’t there. Mid-zerg mashup stomping the downed. Love Shack teammate rallies in those same mashups. Playing Slap-a-yak until they call in enough people to keep you away, and then hit the yak over there instead. Thief. SO. MUCH. FUN.

I also have a necro (epidemic whee), mesmer (no no, I’m not the real one) and guardian (ZOMG, I’m still alive?).

Edit: Play what you enjoy. Don’t worry what others are playing. Or how for that matter.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Biggest mistake i ever made was kitten ing away laurels on my thief. I PROBABLY would still be playing if I spent them on gear for (surprise, surprise) my warrior.

I feel the same way but for my Guardian.

Since ANet ruined S/P all the constant nerfs what is the point. I get frustrated every single patch, not worth it.

I’m never one to complain much about nerfs but thief is such a sloppy design at this point it’s quite sad. Play any other character and they just feel more complete.

Thief is still my main because we all know how we aren’t allowed to gear multiple characters with ascended… but I am playing less and less, didn’t play at all last week.

Don’t care about halloween or anything else if I can’t enjoy my character the way I want to, so I’m just going to stay logged out until pistol whip stun is corrected.

If never, so be it. I’m really curious if any devs even play thief, never seen one on their streams or anything really. I love how 90% of my damage can be dodged now before my first strike even lands… these devs are clueless. It’s almost as if they’re trying to force immob venom, wink wink.

No thanks… add another utility slot and I’d consider it.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in Thief

Posted by: aspry.6975

aspry.6975

Very much want to transit to face roll warrior, but i is lazy.

Do you even balance anet?

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

I’ve been considering to main warrior for a long time now, but I don’t even play enough to make the transition. Thief has no future.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Guardian dps or elementalist is the right choice

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Posted by: HeNnAz.8913

HeNnAz.8913

If I ever retire my thief I’m going straight for my engi. Man that thing is insanely brutal and I can 1v5 if needed. To me a thief and an engineer are similar. They both have the ability to 1v5+, they can both do mass amounts of damage very quickly and both of them can easily get out a sticky situation. I also have been playing my engineer alot in tPvP and sPvP and for some reason, switching between nades and bombs is just so much fun!

It’s ya boy fred.
I’ll suck volcanus for stability.

in Thief

WyldKat.4712

To me a thief and an engineer are similar.

We are Batman!

in Thief

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Too many skill-less backstab thieves here.

Roll troll and win or gtfo. Go play another class since you don’t know how to make the winning thief build.

in Thief

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

i switched from my warrior to thief, lv72 now
going to faceroll people in wvw brainlessly

plus my friends thief have used his poison sharing dps bd and took down a regen war in 5 seconds with another teamate, insane

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Already been face rolling on warrior since before last patch. Thief sucks now. Thanks arena net for making my fav class suck!

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Too many skill-less backstab thieves here.

Roll troll and win or gtfo. Go play another class since you don’t know how to make the winning thief build.

Why do I have to put forth more effort each patch when I can just roll warrior, use 42/1337/cat/69/?!?! with GS and 2spam my way to winning?

It just makes sense.

in Thief

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I knew this thread was from zacchary before even entering this section.

I give you 7/10 for determination, but it’s getting kind of boring after half an year. Try new styles, alà Burnfall.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I’ve moved to Elementalist, because I’m evidently a masochist.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

To be honest i understand you, Zacchary. It’s pretty horrible having to hope patch after patch after patch that Anet didn’t/won’t nerf your class into ground and nullify all the effort and time you put into learning your class, getting your ascended gear, etc. Tbh i’m quite tired of it considering i’ve been through this with my ele and now with the same history repeating with the thief, i’ll just go and hop along on the warr and guard train fulltime, at least that way i’ll be sure i won’t be at mercy of the balance guys.

in Thief

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

Wow whats with all the QQ? Can’t learn how to play thief and blaming it on the patch? This looks like a ranger thread to me. P/D is one of the most op tactics in game right now with condi meta. S/P is just as useful as it ever was for PvE, blinding powder and pw still wreck all NPC’s . Can’t forget S/D still has perma evade and damage, so sorry it lost 1 boon from all the QQ eles and guards gave it. Thief has it really easy compared to other classes when it comes to patches.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

If its so OP then why aren’t you playing it?

in Thief

Posted by: Kenmei.7138

Kenmei.7138

Wow whats with all the QQ? Can’t learn how to play thief and blaming it on the patch? This looks like a ranger thread to me. P/D is one of the most op tactics in game right now with condi meta. S/P is just as useful as it ever was for PvE, blinding powder and pw still wreck all NPC’s . Can’t forget S/D still has perma evade and damage, so sorry it lost 1 boon from all the QQ eles and guards gave it. Thief has it really easy compared to other classes when it comes to patches.

You must be playing other game than us

There’s only 1 viable build for thief atm

in Thief

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

Please all line up, so I can kill your warriors with my thief.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Please all line up, so I can kill your warriors with my thief.

That’ll be a little bit harder since we already know what you are capable of. :3

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

this is pretty funny, being a pve thief the only nerf ive taken is PW -15%, in fact i’d say theyve given me multiple buffs

in Thief

WyldKat.4712

There’s only 1 viable build for thief atm

Politician?

in Thief

Mathias.9657

Guardian dps or elementalist is the right choice

Guardian DPS can be really fun I agree, and they always have a need in pve and pvp. What team runs without one? .. bunker is so incredibly boring though.

in Thief

Posted by: jonwar.4186

jonwar.4186

Ironically I decided to roll with sword dagger in world verses world the other day. spent about 4 hours out there with this set up. Mind you I need alot of time and practice to learn the style of it but I felt like I was being punished for not using or having access to that much stealth as other builds do. strangely I noticed I fared better against necromancers than I usually do, maybe they were just bad players.(fought I think 2 or 3 of them). lost so many fights this day to other classes though that I wanted to throw my pc across the room.

fought a healing/greatsword warrior who I couldnt even touch, once I realised I was going to lose, I simply stopped fighting and let him kill me, that was definitely a “whats the point” moment and honestly playing my thief anymore feels like a chore. Yes “imadbro” and “qq”

Sword Dagger Thief
Ferguson’s Crossing [MAIN]

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

How about me? Not quitting Thief, that’s what. My identity as a player isn’t wrapped up in incremental changes to whatever the latest abuse is. I’ve changed my build a dozen times since I started playing this game in beta. When they nerf what I’m running today, I’ll change it to something else tomorrow.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I’m not quitting thief because I can’t learn how to play it. It’s just that other classes are so much better in terms of solo roaming. I like to solo or small man roam . Thief is no longer that class because other classes do it better.

Eventually thieves will receive the buffs they need to make them useful again. Until that day happens ill play my warrior because he’s stronger for my play style.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Mathias.9657

How about me? Not quitting Thief, that’s what. My identity as a player isn’t wrapped up in incremental changes to whatever the latest abuse is. I’ve changed my build a dozen times since I started playing this game in beta. When they nerf what I’m running today, I’ll change it to something else tomorrow.

Things are a lot different when you’re a competitive player. Right now, pretty much only viable build for thief in tpvp is venom share which admittedly is pretty good and great support although what if I don’t like that play style or enjoy it?

It’s unfortunate that my main build S/P took a huge blow because warrior stuns were and still are too OP. ANet has no clue how to balance, and for some reason thief always gets it in the back end whether intentional or not.

May as well switch to a profession that isn’t getting screwed 24/7. I’ve played thief main since beta, I’m not a flavor of the month kind of guy that switches classes constantly but I can only take so much of this bull.

I have had to switch builds and play things that I don’t even like just to stay in the game.

It’s time to bite the bullet and just main my guardian until ANet figures out just what the hell it is they want thieves to be good at.

I guess our only option now is venom support medic. If you like that, well good enjoy not having any stun breaks and spamming infiltrators strike because venoms are terrible by themselves. Enjoy being useless unless you’ve got a team mate near you..

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Thief is still good in roaming (both spvp and wvw) and still probably the best trolling class. It is also a good pve class because of high dps. Why would you shelf your thief?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

Things are a lot different when you’re a competitive player. Right now, pretty much only viable build for thief in tpvp is venom share which admittedly is pretty good and great support although what if I don’t like that play style or enjoy it?

That’s a choice you made by getting into hyper-competitive play, which by definition risks making a trade-off between what you like, and what’s the most efficient. I have a little bit of sympathy, but not a lot. The story of e-sports is a story of margins and edges, not fun.

It’s unfortunate that my main build S/P took a huge blow because warrior stuns were and still are too OP. ANet has no clue how to balance, and for some reason thief always gets it in the back end whether intentional or not.

I can’t take seriously any post here that claims that “ANet has no clue how to balance” (which is against the rules, FYI), but I’ll assume that you were just caught up in hyperbole.

I am also an S/P Thief. The accidental nerf to Pistol Whip is really annoying, I agree, but ANet appears to have acknowledged that it was a mistake. I’ve been compensating with Devourer’s, Stun sigils, and Infiltrator’s Strike. This is not a solution, but it’s fine as a band-aid.

It’s time to bite the bullet and just main my guardian […]

I’ve got bad news for you: if you are unsatisfied with Thief, it’s unlikely you’ll be satisfied with Guardian, either.

in Thief

Master of Timespace.2548

I can’t take seriously any post here that claims that “ANet has no clue how to balance” (which is against the rules, FYI), but I’ll assume that you were just caught up in hyperbole.

Why not? It’s the truth. They have came up with so many bad ideas* that it would be silly to say they know what they are doing.

*dhoomsfire, warrior stun spam, condition meta, skyhammer, bad matchmaking balance, wvw bloodlust bonuses and petting zoo to name a few.

in Thief

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

im shelving my thief for iether mesmer or necro prolly the first since its closer to thief gameplay. I would defenatly consider engii though but anet hasnt given them enough attention imo.

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

Why not? It’s the truth.

Even if it were the truth (which I don’t grant), that doesn’t excuse the behavior of the poster. I’ve found that people who go over the top instead of being measured about it, generally have less useful things to say, so I don’t pay as much attention to them. If you can’t stay grounded about proclamations of an entire company’s intelligence level, I sure don’t feel like trusting you on game mechanics.

in Thief

Master of Timespace.2548

Why not? It’s the truth.

Even if it were the truth (which I don’t grant), that doesn’t excuse the behavior of the poster. I’ve found that people who go over the top instead of being measured about it, generally have less useful things to say, so I don’t pay as much attention to them. If you can’t stay grounded about proclamations of an entire company’s intelligence level, I sure don’t feel like trusting you on game mechanics.

It’s not an entire company lol. They have 1 or 2 guys in the balance team and that shows.

in Thief

Mathias.9657

It is the truth, instead of listening to players Anet goes and does something completely off the grid and breaks things in the process. They are still in the testing stage of balance and the past months of atrocious spvp can attest to that.

We wait what.. 4 months? for some ridiculous patch that hardly touches on any of the pvp balance issues, ruins all thief stuns, hilariously keeps warriors OP which was their entire intention of fixing in the first place, and condi meta untouched.

It only pains me that they ignore all of the feedback in spvp forums and wave their hands going “Whateva! Whateva! I do what I want!”

There is a reason spvp is dead and e-sports didn’t take off, and probably never will. They can’t even implement a half decent match making system because there aren’t enough teams playing the queue’s would take ages… rofl.

I’m not hyperbole anything this is all the truth. Terrible balance since day 1, feel free to correct me.

Even the simplest of issues like last refuge giving a free revealed didn’t get touched, complained about since its inception. Sooooo sad… any other gaming company would have woke up by now and listened to its community outcry. What sucks even more is Anet wasn’t always like this, and we actually had player testing in GW1.

in Thief

Posted by: Nuorus.8415

Nuorus.8415

have been playing warrior over a year, a week ago I made a thief just for pvp… was easiest class I have ever tested… I give hardest to drive -title to engineers ^^

Feel free to argue with me. You learn something every time and it develops your personality.

People seems using word “trolling” out of context way too often…

in Thief

Posted by: Mist Pivot.8452

Mist Pivot.8452

have been playing warrior over a year, a week ago I made a thief just for pvp… was easiest class I have ever tested… I give hardest to drive -title to engineers ^^

Seems like you play against some bad players.

Engineering, brutality, and thievery.
Blackgate since day one.

in Thief

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

Some of you sound like thief is a high skill or brain class, which make me lol. The only thing you ever need to do as thief is mass clicking the stealth button then mass spamming auto attack. That "I have skill " illusion come from so many easy wins by auto attacking nooby players in stealth mode while they could not fight back for there was no hard counter. I suffered a lot from thiefs when I were a WvW noob, but once I figured out how to deal with them, Jesus Christ need to kill hundred crap thiefs to find a decent one. The lowest skill and dumbest class in the game in my opinion.

in Thief

Master of Timespace.2548

Some of you sound like thief is a high skill or brain class, which make me lol. The only thing you ever need to do as thief is mass clicking the stealth button then mass spamming auto attack. That "I have skill " illusion come from so many easy wins by auto attacking nooby players in stealth mode while they could not fight back for there was no hard counter. I suffered a lot from thiefs when I were a WvW noob, but once I figured out how to deal with them, Jesus Christ need to kill hundred crap thiefs to find a decent one. The lowest skill and dumbest class in the game in my opinion.

At least you can tell the difference between a crap thief and a good thief. Can’ t say same about warriors.

in Thief

Eodwen.2613

I suffered a lot from thiefs when I were a WvW noob, but once I figured out how to deal with them, Jesus Christ need to kill hundred crap thiefs to find a decent one. The lowest skill and dumbest class in the game in my opinion.

Lol and that proves that thief class is easy mode? quite the opposite id say. If thief class was dumb and easy mode 1v1 god etc etc then descent players would lose to new players rolling thieves. Maybe you are biased because thieves annoy you.

in Thief

Dragonax.6487

Let say if a noob thief vs a noob of other classes. Noob thief has 99% chance of winning just for the stealth button.

If a noob thief vs an experienced other classes who know how to deal with them, noob thief has 99% chance of losing because once their stealth is countered, they are like a naked woman in a life time prison for males.

But if a skilled thief vs a skilled other classes, skilled thief has much higher chance to win… again because now they know how to use stealth better + know how to counter stealth counters, and there was no hard counter to stealth so suck it.

(edited by Dragonax.6487)

in Thief

Eodwen.2613

Let say if a noob thief vs a noob of other classes. Noob thief has 99% chance of winning just for the stealth button.

If a noob thief vs an experienced other classes who know how to deal with them, noob thief has 99% chance of losing because once their stealth is countered, they are like a naked woman in a life time prison for males.

But if a skilled thief vs a skilled other classes, skilled thief has much higher chance to win… again because now they know how to use stealth better + know how to counter stealth counters, and there was no hard counter to stealth so suck it.

I cant agree more with the first 2 parts.

However i dont see where you base the third one.

1) 2 skilled players fight one hell of a battle and thief happens to win. Does that mean it was the class that won and not the player? How do you measure that? You assume both have equal skills? In the end both are human and one is bound to make a mistake.

2) A skilled thief can excape easily even vs other skilled players i can give you that. But thats quite different from winning. Running away is the same as losing.

Edit: 3 ) You only need basic knoledge to counter noob thieves which doesnt mean the class has a low skill cap, it might be easy to start with but in order to truly excel at it you need a lot of time and practice. And you also need to know the other classes and builds they are using which is easier vs a thief that only has 2 viable builds atm.

(edited by Eodwen.2613)

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

A couple of questions to you kind sir.

What’s the hardcounter to healing signet and adrenal health?
What’s the hardcounter to CC when you don’t have access to many dodges nor stability?
What’s the hardcounter to minions, clones and spirits sucking up your dmg ?
What’s the hardcounter to having a lot of, in many cases unavoidable conditions on you when your condition removal and health pool is lowest in the game?

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Eodwen.2613

Ghostwolf is right focusing too much on stealth counter and ignoring the fact that thieves have little to no counters to cc, massive spikes, phantasms and high sustain.

in Thief

Dragonax.6487

A couple of questions to you kind sir.

What’s the hardcounter to healing signet and adrenal health?
What’s the hardcounter to CC when you don’t have access to many dodges nor stability?
What’s the hardcounter to minions, clones and spirits sucking up your dmg ?
What’s the hardcounter to having a lot of, in many cases unavoidable conditions on you when your condition removal and health pool is lowest in the game?

1. Condition build with poison , or 16k back stab, anyway Tanky regen warrior deals no damage so unless you suck kitten u should come out winning after a long fight no matter what
2.Blind is the best counter for soft CC, hard CC doesn’t last long
3. Stealth, and u have plenty of time to find the true target
4. There is no unavoidable condition, if it’s target surrounded conditions, again stealth and wait for it to cool off. Low health ? Stealth and reset the fight at will.