I'm kinda new and would like some help

in Thief

Posted by: Zlater.6789

Zlater.6789

Hey guys, I’m playing a bit of guild wars 2 because my uncle says I should play it because its fun, and it sure is I really fell in love with pvp and now that’s pretty much all I play when I play GW2. I am playing the thief and I have spend a lot of time coming up with something I really love playing and that is still very strong. I’m not sure I like the community in GW2 though, they are very mean and rude, I often get bullied for just being a thief, I have made some great friends though, there are really nice people here too.

I use mostly dagger + pistol for my main bar, it has everything I could ever ask for and I feel like no skill there is wasted, especially not shadow shot xD It has the sigil of force and the sigil of accuracy.

I also use sword + dagger for when I have to get into a group fight because it has some ranged damage lots group damage and some really great escapes that fit pretty well for group fights. the cloak and dagger skill is also really useful for stomping, I’m always visiting this bar. Not to mention the extra evade I get which is sweet. It has the sigil of energy and the sigil of leeching.
A lot of people I talk to think I should use bow, but I would only use it for poison gas and cluster bombs, and only for a little bit, its also super lame. The shadow step ability is cool and stuff if you plan to never get into a fight, but I need my initiative and daredevil gives enough of a movement buff, I’m always the first person anywhere anyway, and by a long shot too.

I use Withdraw for my healing skill, but I tried the others and also thought signet of malice is good too, the cast time kinda makes me not use it, the heal over time is hard to resist though.

Shadow Refuge is my mostest favouritestest skill of all time! The cooldown is soooooo long, it feels like its always got 10 seconds left on it xD I can use it for escape, opening, rezzing, stomping, for situational group play, for the healing and life steal… whatever I want. So I don’t mind that the cooldown is long.

Shadow step is also a usual ability, it is really helpful for escaping, re-positioning myself if I need to LOS, getting out of CC combos, but I mostly use it for getting around the map xD I have also tried most of the others and also don’t mind using them, but not as much as this one. What do you think, is there a better ability I could use here?

The last 2 are ones I struggle with though, I use signet of agility mostly because it gives me more damage and helps me trigger on crit effects that I need for self healing, it takes my crit chance to 70% without fury, but do you think assassins signet gives me more self healing with invigorating precision? I cant seem to decide, I know that passive health regen is super important for helping with that damage I cant avoid with dodge or blind, but what do you think would work best here, or have I chosen the best choice?

My elite skill is thieves guild. I also like the others, but having the thieves up just changes everything about my next fight. I think the most important thing it does is just add to the busyness of a fight and I can summon them right before I engage so I don’t have to worry about stupid cast times later. Dagger Storm is bad because it means I cant dodge, basilisk venom has a cast time which makes it wayy to tricky to use it when I actually really need it right now. Impact strike is nice, I find it sometimes getting wasted between when I start it and when I make a stomp. Am I using those elite skills wrong?

My amulet choice is the marauder, someone told me I should go with the berserker amulet, but I cant resist all of that extra health, I didn’t really find the DPS difference to be too much anyway. What are your thoughts about the other amulets, do you find them to be very useful, especially with the barbarian and celestial amulet?

Rune choice is hell for me. I really struggle, at the moment I use the rune of the eagle, but I also love rune of the thief for the superior DPS with the auto attack poison, the Rune of infiltration because I can execute quickly and have a free access to backstab or to just disengage, or rune of the pack which doesn’t have anything in particular but it has some very nice stat bonuses that I think might out perform the thief in combat.

Finally is the specializations. In daredevil I choose havoc mastery because all of my damage comes from melee range, but what do you think of that vs weakening strikes? escapists absolution is a pretty obvious choice I think. I also use unhindered combatant. I love this change to roll dodge because it wont pull me from stealth, it also means I don’t need to worry about conditions when I can just roll dodge, it has increased distance and bonus swiftness which makes it great for map control and getting in and out of melee range very quickly to annoy the hell out of whoever I have to kill. the reduction in incoming damage is also a very huge bonus if I get caught. I really feel like all of the traits are useful.

I also love critical strikes. I use side strikes which should take my crit to close to 100% during combat, sundering strikes because my crit is really high and Invigorating precision which blends really well with my crit, but I wonder if you guys find the insane up-time of fury with no quarter to be that much better? I think I would have to change a lot of my build if I ran with that though and would need signet of malice.

I still struggle with choosing between deadly arts and trickery but I think I will go with trickery because it makes spamming steal a bit more appealing without losing much damage and it comes with a lot of extra initiative. I chose thrill of the crime bountiful theft and quick pockets. I struggle thrill of the crime vs caltrops and quick pockets vs both of the other 2. I chose thrill of the crime because I found vs other thieves that caltrops kinda gives away your direction and tells your pursuers where you went. I like to have the initiative there when I need it, so for example when I need to stomp and I cant use my bling field, I can just stomp with my cloak and dagger. I don’t know how useful a 1 second daze is, but i imagine it would add an extra layer on steal by making it interrupt or how far a bit of torment will go toward killing the person I’m facing. What are your thoughts on this?

I know I am asking so many questions, but I wanted to get your opinions on these things. I can 1v1 (except I only stand a chance if I have thieves guild up) decap/cap and zip around the map like I’m supposed to, but when its in 1v2 or even 2v2+ I kinda suck. I know everyone says that thief is bad but this is my first time playing so please help me out a little bit. Thanks everyone for your help.

in Thief

Posted by: roelvanesch.2817

roelvanesch.2817

For meta (good) builds, check out metabattle.com

Some traps you seem to fall in making your choises:
-Too many passives; this is pvp, burst is better than sustain on thieves. For sigils: air + fire give you better burst. Crit signet is good on daredevil since both its passieve and its active are welcome.
- Double melee: If there is one weapon that is absolutely required for pvp it is shortbow. Both the damage and range are mediocre and most skills you’ll never even use. However: infiltrator’s arrow. Since thieves have a disadvantage in both teamfights and 1v1, their main role in the meta is to +1 (search for ‘unfair’ fights) and backcap (they leave a capture point, get to it!).
- Long cooldowns: Since you are running d/p, I can recommend blinding power over refugee (both skills are good, this is mainly preference). The blast in #5 smoke field gives quite some instant-stealth around you. Also, thieves guild is a really long cd. Might I reccomend the physical ult, or elsewise basilisk venom.
Unhindered combattant: It might put you out of stealth if you use it at the wrong time, but it also puts you IN stealth with the use of pistol #5. This combo alone gives very easy stealth acces.

The Thief’s role is kinda weird right now. It is not a role focussed around combat at all, but rather focussed on objectives. Also, its somewhere on the bottom of this meta, sadly enough…

in Thief

Posted by: assassin.7895

assassin.7895

“The Noob’s manifesto”

either this is an attempt to troll or someone is a little stupid.

thief is the worst class in the game now, deal with it. there’s nothing you can change about that, the best have tried, but failed horribly. dreams were crushed.

in Thief

Zlater.6789

But I wanna fight!

How do you do high burst and is it enough to kill someone? I couldnt find anyway to burst someone hard enough to down them.

I don’t really need a short bow to get around the map in pvp, and it really annoys me having useless abilities on my bar, with shadow step at 1200 range and unhindered combatant I tried and have I can move from one to the other in almost half the time it takes my to get there with infiltrators arrow, which is about as far as I need to go in any short period. I also use the dodge for the condition removal, if I bump into a tanky player I usually dodge around them a lot, maybe a bit too much at times xD So the hits don’t usually bug me, but its all of the little bits of damage I cant avoid which usually kills me. What do you use instead for condition removal? I really think that black powder and bounding dodger is a really cool combo that I never thought of.

I was using the physical elite for quite some time, I found it was real good when I could land it, otherwise it gave me so many of those “gotcha… ohh nevermind moments.” What I loved about thieves guild is that they persist even if I get downed, its a really strong elite, but you’re right its on a very long cooldown. Is it only because of the cooldown that thieves don’t use it?
If it is, its only in situational times I use it, when I’m “backcapping” or I’m in a 1v1 I dont really need it; unless I know that I’m about to get into a tough fight. I think I will continue using it.

in Thief

Zlater.6789

“The Noob’s manifesto”

either this is an attempt to troll or someone is a little stupid.

thief is the worst class in the game now, deal with it. there’s nothing you can change about that, the best have tried, but failed horribly. dreams were crushed.

Man the community here really does suck.

in Thief

Posted by: roelvanesch.2817

roelvanesch.2817

But I wanna fight!

How do you do high burst and is it enough to kill someone? I couldnt find anyway to burst someone hard enough to down them.

I don’t really need a short bow to get around the map in pvp, and it really annoys me having useless abilities on my bar, with shadow step at 1200 range and unhindered combatant I tried and have I can move from one to the other in almost half the time it takes my to get there with infiltrators arrow, which is about as far as I need to go in any short period. I also use the dodge for the condition removal, if I bump into a tanky player I usually dodge around them a lot, maybe a bit too much at times xD So the hits don’t usually bug me, but its all of the little bits of damage I cant avoid which usually kills me. What do you use instead for condition removal? I really think that black powder and bounding dodger is a really cool combo that I never thought of.

I was using the physical elite for quite some time, I found it was real good when I could land it, otherwise it gave me so many of those “gotcha… ohh nevermind moments.” What I loved about thieves guild is that they persist even if I get downed, its a really strong elite, but you’re right its on a very long cooldown. Is it only because of the cooldown that thieves don’t use it?
If it is, its only in situational times I use it, when I’m “backcapping” or I’m in a 1v1 I dont really need it; unless I know that I’m about to get into a tough fight. I think I will continue using it.

You want to fight? Winning fair fights with thieves is a matter of outplaying your opponent. When your skill level is equal to your opponent’s, he will win. Unhindered combatant makes you move faster but kittens you over in fights imo, you get out of melee range everytime you dodge. Short bow 5 is the best weapon skills thiefs have, you are missing out. The physical elite van be used on downed opponents for safe stomping (doesnt work against all classes) because of the blowout. I don’t think thieves guild is too strong of a skill in pvp, when I am up against a Thief who uses is, I never even notice too much of it.

in Thief

Zlater.6789

Then I guess I will have to be the most skilled xD

The range is really low and initiative cost is super high, it takes a while to land, by then you’ve already covered half of the distance of the shot. Every time I’ve tried it I find it really is slower than the combo I am doing now. Oh I do spam shadow shot a lot so I like that I can get out of melee range when I want with a dodge. On a side note, wow there are so many gap closers to use!

Yeah I wish they would hit harder too. The extra blinds and just general noise really do change the fight ahead. Its those little things that have made me love it more though, like when you and your opponent are down, they are almost a guaranteed rally.

I thought you were supposed to use it when they are like 10% health, because if you use it when they are down its only a tiny bit shorter than a normal stomp?

What is kittens and kittening? I see it everywhere, it sounds really lame though, no offense meant.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Kitten is the swear word override.

As for your build http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ this site lets you post to us. Use “Get Quick Link” on bottom when you finish building.

I tried to recreate yours though I missed some of it because you seemed unsure:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa84klOBvnA7TosTYbBAm5CC-TZBBAByXGAgHAAN7PsxRAIgTAAA

People say you need shortbow simply because it is our better ranged choice (pistols are good in certain scenarios, whereas shortbow is better in general sense) and because of the massive mobility. The other thing to remember is since we have no cooldowns, it is far more practical to grab a single set for fighting and a single set for supporting.

My personal suggestion for a build (assuming you can rotate d/p and s/d) is http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa8Yn0MBVOh9OBmOBkmiFfCzrJsEiCbBgXTAaeAmAjgA-TpBGABeXGIhDCAAPAg0OBAHcEASf/BA

You have a lot of resistance to control, a lot of mobility provided you have someone targeted, a good deal of sustainability, and some general support. However, it is far more efficient to swap crit strikes for deadly arts with all mid traits. Mug and Improv are life savers, panic strike is just good in general and you can’t get rooted so condi reflect has no meaning. On top of that, I’d highly recommend finding which set you like better then swapping the other for shortbow. High area damage and control along with high mobility is too good to pass up until we can one on one. Also, have you tried the staff yet? The reason I am asking is you have an all-in set with dagger/pistol and a burst engage set with sword/dagger and these two styles are far different, however staff has both styles but misses out on boon steal and stealth.

Just some thoughts, hope I helped. I probably didn’kittens a wall, people don’t read walls.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Zlater.6789

Kitten is the swear word override.

As for your build http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ this site lets you post to us. Use “Get Quick Link” on bottom when you finish building.

I tried to recreate yours though I missed some of it because you seemed unsure:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa84klOBvnA7TosTYbBAm5CC-TZBBAByXGAgHAAN7PsxRAIgTAAA

People say you need shortbow simply because it is our better ranged choice (pistols are good in certain scenarios, whereas shortbow is better in general sense) and because of the massive mobility. The other thing to remember is since we have no cooldowns, it is far more practical to grab a single set for fighting and a single set for supporting.

My personal suggestion for a build (assuming you can rotate d/p and s/d) is http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa8Yn0MBVOh9OBmOBkmiFfCzrJsEiCbBgXTAaeAmAjgA-TpBGABeXGIhDCAAPAg0OBAHcEASf/BA

You have a lot of resistance to control, a lot of mobility provided you have someone targeted, a good deal of sustainability, and some general support. However, it is far more efficient to swap crit strikes for deadly arts with all mid traits. Mug and Improv are life savers, panic strike is just good in general and you can’t get rooted so condi reflect has no meaning. On top of that, I’d highly recommend finding which set you like better then swapping the other for shortbow. High area damage and control along with high mobility is too good to pass up until we can one on one. Also, have you tried the staff yet? The reason I am asking is you have an all-in set with dagger/pistol and a burst engage set with sword/dagger and these two styles are far different, however staff has both styles but misses out on boon steal and stealth.

Just some thoughts, hope I helped. I probably didn’kittens a wall, people don’t read walls.

Haha oh yeah fair enough, that’s my fault.

That is really helpful actually, I really like your suggestions, the build you suggested is a bit more defensive than mine I think but I’m really curious why you chose roll for initiative over shadow refuge. I kinda wrote practiced tolerance off for DPS because I was finding that sundering strikes was just a bit better and much better in groups. But now that I see you chose it I think I will give it another go.

I wonder about the healing from mug, how does it compare to the healing from invigorating precision, I will check this soon.

I’m also curious why you chose the rune of leadership, I’ve actually never even considered it before.

This is the build I’m using right now:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa8Yl0MhunYpTwwJw+EL4EmXW4KsD2OABgG0cDsC2BB-TpBBAByXGojjAAAPAgi2fYjDCQAnAAA

in Thief

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

That is really helpful actually, I really like your suggestions, the build you suggested is a bit more defensive than mine I think but I’m really curious why you chose roll for initiative over shadow refuge. I kinda wrote practiced tolerance off for DPS because I was finding that sundering strikes was just a bit better and much better in groups. But now that I see you chose it I think I will give it another go.

I wonder about the healing from mug, how does it compare to the healing from invigorating precision, I will check this soon.

I’m also curious why you chose the rune of leadership, I’ve actually never even considered it before.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoa8Yl0MhunYpTwwJw+EL4EmXW4KsD2OABgG0cDsC2BB-TpBBAByXGojjAAAPAgi2fYjDCQAnAAA

Hi, I’m glad you’re having fun with thief in PvP, unfortunately, the sad truth is that while your build and playstyle works to a certain extent, it’s however not very viable in higher levels of PvP. Forgive me, but if you are having an easy time 1v1ing pretty much any class in pvp, chances are that you’re up against more inexperienced players.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism, and nothing more. I’m not trying to offend you, but rather give you an insight as to why some of the thieves on the forums are so cynical when it comes to your idea of PvP.

First, regarding shortbow. as you may have known, the whole reason PvP thieves take shortbow is because of SB5. You stated that by using Dash and Shadowstep, you can get around faster than with Sb5. I agree. However, you are wasting dodges, which if you take Bound instead, would give you +10% damage, up to 4k crit damage per dodge, and a leap finisher.
You’ll also be wasting a very long cooldown stunbreaker. In my experience, if you are ever caught in a hard CC without a stunbreak, you are prtty much dead.
The reason why we can afford to take SB is because we lack cooldowns, so there is no real point in taking more then 1 damage weapon set. Sure you can be more versatile with 2 weaponsets, but you’ll be giving up one the reason why thieves are taken in the first place, +1 and decapping.
And, shortbow gives you unparalleled vertical mobility. You can’t get to the roof of khylo with just one Dash now can you? Or getting past the choke points of the stairs of windmill by simply porting up the side of the ledge. SB5 is not about horizontal movement alone.

The current role of thieves are 2 things, decapping and +1 fights. Decapping uncontested points will deprive the enemy from points, while +1 will either save your teammates, or makes it faster for your teammate to capture a point. Your job requires you to be constantly on the move, exploiting weaknesses in the enemy’s team, and ending a fight as quickly as possible, hence the emphasis on burst damage. The longer the enemy stays alive on a point, the less points your team is earning/the more points the enemy is earning. A well played thief can turn a game around, provided that he is able to do his job effectively (bunker chronos, I’m looking at you. =_=)

Having 2 offensive weaponsets may work well when dueling, which you can do in private rooms, that much is certain, but in conquest, or stronghold in that matter, winning is not about killing an enemy, its about playing the objective.

As for utilities, it largely depends on your playstyle. You’ll rarely see people running shadow’s refuge anymore because of the amount of reveal and AOE flying around in the current state of the game. Dropping an SR is equivalent to saying “BOMB HERE”, or the enemy will either reveal or knock you out of SR. I’m not saying SR doesn’t work, but its harder to play against experienced enemies with SR.
Hence people take blinding powder instead, for in uninterruptable access to stealth, and an instant blind.

I personally will never play PvP without Shadowstep, if only for the stunbreak or a safe stomp. Having 2 stunbreaks and a 1200 range shadowstep is just too good to pass.

As for thieves guild, I’ll say unless you are playing a venomshare build, it’s largely a wasted elite. It deals negligible damage, and decent players will simply ignore the clones and focus on you. Basilisk venom and impact strike brings more utility to the table. Having a 2 second hard CC, or potential for an instant stomp, is better then having 2 clones with hardly does anything, objectively speaking.

As for traits, the reason why people run Deadly Arts is because of the Burst Damage. Yes, Critical Strikes may deal more damage overall, and Invigorating Precision heals a lot more then Mug if you manage to land decent amounts of damage, but Deadly Arts’s Mug gives you additional burst damage and a mediocre heal.
It applies weakness and poison on the target when you steal, immobilises the target when it’s below 50% hp, and either gives you a 20% damage boost when your target is below 50% hp, or gives you 2 uses of a stolen ability, and randomly resets your utility skills. Some stolen abilities are extremely valuable, namely Mesmers’s Ecto, Guardians’s Daze, Revenant’s OP stolen skill (slows and deals 4k crits), Thieves’ stealth for example.

Compared to Deadly Arts, Critical Strikes simply gives your more sustained damage (not burst dmg), while DA gives you more utility, and comparable damage.
I’ll personally say CS is better in PvE, but DA is better in PvP. (But then i’ll take both in PvE)

As for trickery, Sleight of hand is very much better then quick pockets. A CD reduction on steal and a Daze in steal is very useful, compared to an extra 3 initiative when you swap weapons (which is something standard thieves rarely do during fights).

For DrD, I’ll really recommend taking Bound over Dash, for more AOE pressure as well as a +10% damage boost, but that’s my opinion.

Hope you found something useful in my post, and you’re welcome to have your own opinions. I’m simply stating the current role of thieves to be effective in the current meta (but with so many bunker mesmers nowadays… they need to be toned down).

Have a nice day, and please, continue enjoying playing thief. There’s so little of us left who’s still enjoying playing thieves nowadays.

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

in Thief

Zlater.6789

Hi, I’m glad you’re having fun with thief in PvP, unfortunately, the sad truth is that while your build and playstyle works to a certain extent, it’s however not very viable in higher levels of PvP. Forgive me, but if you are having an easy time 1v1ing pretty much any class in pvp, chances are that you’re up against more inexperienced players.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism, and nothing more. I’m not trying to offend you, but rather give you an insight as to why some of the thieves on the forums are so cynical when it comes to your idea of PvP.

First, regarding shortbow. as you may have known, the whole reason PvP thieves take shortbow is because of SB5. You stated that by using Dash and Shadowstep, you can get around faster than with Sb5. I agree. However, you are wasting dodges, which if you take Bound instead, would give you +10% damage, up to 4k crit damage per dodge, and a leap finisher.
You’ll also be wasting a very long cooldown stunbreaker. In my experience, if you are ever caught in a hard CC without a stunbreak, you are prtty much dead.
The reason why we can afford to take SB is because we lack cooldowns, so there is no real point in taking more then 1 damage weapon set. Sure you can be more versatile with 2 weaponsets, but you’ll be giving up one the reason why thieves are taken in the first place, +1 and decapping.
And, shortbow gives you unparalleled vertical mobility. You can’t get to the roof of khylo with just one Dash now can you? Or getting past the choke points of the stairs of windmill by simply porting up the side of the ledge. SB5 is not about horizontal movement alone.

The current role of thieves are 2 things, decapping and +1 fights. Decapping uncontested points will deprive the enemy from points, while +1 will either save your teammates, or makes it faster for your teammate to capture a point. Your job requires you to be constantly on the move, exploiting weaknesses in the enemy’s team, and ending a fight as quickly as possible, hence the emphasis on burst damage. The longer the enemy stays alive on a point, the less points your team is earning/the more points the enemy is earning. A well played thief can turn a game around, provided that he is able to do his job effectively (bunker chronos, I’m looking at you. =_=)

Having 2 offensive weaponsets may work well when dueling, which you can do in private rooms, that much is certain, but in conquest, or stronghold in that matter, winning is not about killing an enemy, its about playing the objective.

As for utilities, it largely depends on your playstyle. You’ll rarely see people running shadow’s refuge anymore because of the amount of reveal and AOE flying around in the current state of the game. Dropping an SR is equivalent to saying “BOMB HERE”, or the enemy will either reveal or knock you out of SR. I’m not saying SR doesn’t work, but its harder to play against experienced enemies with SR.
Hence people take blinding powder instead, for in uninterruptable access to stealth, and an instant blind.

I personally will never play PvP without Shadowstep, if only for the stunbreak or a safe stomp. Having 2 stunbreaks and a 1200 range shadowstep is just too good to pass.

As for thieves guild, I’ll say unless you are playing a venomshare build, it’s largely a wasted elite. It deals negligible damage, and decent players will simply ignore the clones and focus on you. Basilisk venom and impact strike brings more utility to the table. Having a 2 second hard CC, or potential for an instant stomp, is better then having 2 clones with hardly does anything, objectively speaking.

As for traits, the reason why people run Deadly Arts is because of the Burst Damage. Yes, Critical Strikes may deal more damage overall, and Invigorating Precision heals a lot more then Mug if you manage to land decent amounts of damage, but Deadly Arts’s Mug gives you additional burst damage and a mediocre heal.
It applies weakness and poison on the target when you steal, immobilises the target when it’s below 50% hp, and either gives you a 20% damage boost when your target is below 50% hp, or gives you 2 uses of a stolen ability, and randomly resets your utility skills. Some stolen abilities are extremely valuable, namely Mesmers’s Ecto, Guardians’s Daze, Revenant’s OP stolen skill (slows and deals 4k crits), Thieves’ stealth for example.

Compared to Deadly Arts, Critical Strikes simply gives your more sustained damage (not burst dmg), while DA gives you more utility, and comparable damage.
I’ll personally say CS is better in PvE, but DA is better in PvP. (But then i’ll take both in PvE)

As for trickery, Sleight of hand is very much better then quick pockets. A CD reduction on steal and a Daze in steal is very useful, compared to an extra 3 initiative when you swap weapons (which is something standard thieves rarely do during fights).

For DrD, I’ll really recommend taking Bound over Dash, for more AOE pressure as well as a +10% damage boost, but that’s my opinion.

Hope you found something useful in my post, and you’re welcome to have your own opinions. I’m simply stating the current role of thieves to be effective in the current meta (but with so many bunker mesmers nowadays… they need to be toned down).

Have a nice day, and please, continue enjoying playing thief. There’s so little of us left who’s still enjoying playing thieves nowadays.

Hehe I think you are right, and thanks for being very positive. I’m still very new to the game and I’m only at the second tier so far, so I thought most of the players I’m fighting would be as bad as I am xD

I get why everyone uses the bow, and I think I would use it in WvW, but I’ve never tried WvW before. I see that I have to choose at least 1 resource to sacrifice for map control, I figured its easier to do that with endurance because its easier to recover and I can still offset dodge onto my initiative if needed. Is it a bad idea to look at my initiative and endurance as I would in a game with emphasis on resource management?
I completely forgot that I can teleport through roofs lol.

Oh I never really notice it much, I think you are definitely right about quick pockets and losing a stun break, this is definitely a weakness of mine that has come up once or twice before. I don’t think its technically the same, but couldn’t I use sleight of hand just to steal to get out of a sticky situation when shadow step is still on cool-down? I’ve done this a few times on gravity wells and other crazy cc like that but without the daze.

You are also right about shadow refuge. I really want to keep using it though, I learnt when I first started using it for escaping to make sure to use my surroundings with shadow refuge. For example I never place it at my feet, I always place it ahead of me and against a wall (or across a door if possible) so that way I can roll into it, LOS behind a door or arch, or just stand against a wall so they only knock me into the wall.

HAHA oh my gosh you agree! All of the crazy tanky mesmers I bump into on far, catapults and just out and about are almost the whole reason that I am playing more defensively. They can spam their skills almost as fast as I can, however I found I can kill them if I can just keep the pressure up for long enough, its freaking hard work though and then I still only win about half of the time, the rest I’m usually forced to make escapes or get rekt seriously badly by me doing something stupid like habitually roll dodging out from them when I should be using black powder after I know their endurance is low.

Haha yeah I couldn’t be bothered re-rolling another char just yet, I’m not even level 80 xD Hopefully by the time I reach lvl80 the devs might have done some re-balancing and people wont be so rude to me anymore. Am I allowed to report those people that bully me for being a thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Spurrlock.3219

Spurrlock.3219

Glad to hear you’re having fun on thief. They’re really not as bad in the current meta as people say.

You can right click on people’s names in chat to report them for bullying. I think it says abusive chat or something.

Also, unhindered combatant is a really good dodge for dealing with necros. I always take it if the other team has more than one necro because their chill hurts.

Keep having fun on thief! Hone your skills and outplay your opponents to death.

in Thief

Posted by: Gibimo.2193

Gibimo.2193

Glad to hear you’re having fun on thief. They’re really not as bad in the current meta as people say.

You can right click on people’s names in chat to report them for bullying. I think it says abusive chat or something.

Also, unhindered combatant is a really good dodge for dealing with necros. I always take it if the other team has more than one necro because their chill hurts.

The ultimate troll which is eventually make him quit

in Thief

Posted by: Gibimo.2193

Gibimo.2193

Here’s my advise.

Frist, Thief is at the bottom of the food chain.
deal with it.
You can’t win every single 1v1 situation.
It’s true and it will never chaged before balance patch.

And second, so QUIT thief and play other class.
I’m not trying to be bully but to make sure, you need to know every single skills and it’s mechanism.

Even if you mastered thief, there’re some ‘unoutplayable’ profession like druid or chronomancer.(even in teamfights) and if you didn’t know that you will engage and eventually you’ll lie on the cold floor and rally them even your teammates got them.

(edited by Gibimo.2193)

in Thief

Zlater.6789

Thankyou Spurrlock.

I had this really awesome game the other day in ranked arena, it was 6 thieves 3vs3 each side with a necro also a elementalist and another profession that I forgot, and it was the most fun I’ve had in PvP yet. Everything was super fast paced, it was like a sushi kitchen and I naturally got the most points at the end xD. There were lots of 1v1’s everywhere and what was great was that there weren’t flashy epilepsy bombs going off all over the place so it was all about the combat. I wish I could do it again!

But Gibimo is right to a small extent, thieves are a little bit weaker than other classes, but I don’t feel its really much as long as I play well. I wont quit playing thief because its so fun, but I will have to eventually play other classes with their stupid cooldown abilities eventually to get ‘The Ascended’

Some things I think he is wrong about is that I’m not learning how to play so I can 1v1 against any class, I want to be better than that. And I think Chronomancers, Druids and Dragon Hunters are very hard to kill in group fights, but I also think they take a lot less work in a 1v1 vs a group fight, so given the chance I find its a good idea to deal with them alone. But that’s just my observation I guess.

(edited by Zlater.6789)