I want to switch my build up for WvW... help plz

in Thief

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

My Thief became my main PVE toon for awhile, and recently I got into WvW and love it. Originally I didnt like it but its grown on me. My thief is full zerker, only 10k and has been using s/p and sb forever. Recently started using s/d and I like that too, never really got into dual dags. Prob gonna be a follower and try D/D if a build catches my interest… so whats out there? I tried looking at the forums but I see more people crying and complaining than anything else :\ thanks!

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

You should try p/p as glass cannon. For some reason people say it is weak, but against mindless zerglings it works wonders. Awesome look, epic sounds, range, interrupt.
It has unique feel of power, just standing and raining bullets on your enemies.

in Thief

Azure.8670

I dont need to be a glass cannon… im willing to redo all my gear and such, doesnt bother me. I use P/P now and then its ok I prefer p/d.

in Thief

Azure.8670

thats how im rolling now

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

^

So squishy!

in Thief

Posted by: Webley.1295

Webley.1295

I dont need to be a glass cannon… im willing to redo all my gear and such, doesnt bother me. I use P/P now and then its ok I prefer p/d.

Well you got stealth builds

You got Evasion builds with no stealth

You got cannon builds,

Conditions builds

I had zerker gear and tried all sorts of builds. Gameplay only really changed for me when i bought carrion gear and I havent thought of going back any time soon

A condition build will be a new challenge for you, completley different playstyle and logic

Buy carrion gear and do your research like you did with zerker gear and s/p

Youll have a new world open up

The first few hours was basically repair bills, but after the learning curve i think i ended up with a better all round build

I run with 5/0/30/30/5

My build is for WvW: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoYVlUm6OHfy9E+JFB3Djq0m6LQXQ3DsKftC;T8AgyyuEcJ5S1liLKYMwIgx2kDGJMLPGBMXA
YOU MAY HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK

The gear stacks the conditions and the traits stack survival and init regeneration

(edited by Webley.1295)

in Thief

Azure.8670

im SUPER squishy lol! But from doing dungeons for so long ive gotten good with the s/d 3 and I rarely get hit… I dunno. I feel like everything I do, I could do with d/d kinda. That carrion idea sounds very interesting I may give that a whirl as well! any other ideas?

im also considering keeping my build and just adding jewels for some health and defense. hmmm

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

S/D does not benefit from your zerker gear.

in Thief

Azure.8670

you dont think so? please explain. id like to make changes that would benefit me. I dont mind being glass cannon, and I dont mind being glass cannon. I was thinking of keeping my build and just rolling daggers instead. Maybe throwing jewels on my trinkets for more vit and toughness. Carrion does sound good tho

in Thief

Webley.1295

you dont think so? please explain. id like to make changes that would benefit me. I dont mind being glass cannon, and I dont mind being glass cannon. I was thinking of keeping my build and just rolling daggers instead. Maybe throwing jewels on my trinkets for more vit and toughness. Carrion does sound good tho

With carrion and 5/0/30/30/5 I have 20.7k hp

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

A little known fact is that P/D incredibly effective with berserker gear, your attacks don’t hit as hard but you hit much more often and it’s MUCH easier to survive. Make sure you specc into power if your using venoms and always spec 30 into shadow for the sexy healing.

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

in Thief

Webley.1295

A little known fact is that P/D incredibly effective with berserker gear, your attacks don’t hit as hard but you hit much more often and it’s MUCH easier to survive. Make sure you specc into power if your using venoms and always spec 30 into shadow for the sexy healing.

yea you can swap out sb with p/d and run both in my build

The Roll provides a CC breaker if it does not serve as a ini regen

in Thief

Webley.1295

another amazing statement found in the GW2 thief forums

in Thief

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

What the fux…

I think you better explain your reasons for that one.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

What the fux…

I think you better explain your reasons for that one.

Ichishi has a very narrow view of what constitutes an effective S/D setup. Basically, he thinks there’s only one right way to utilize the weapon set and it doesn’t involve ‘zerker gear. It really isn’t any different from the bajillion thieves that insist the only way to be effective as a thief is exactly X gear with D/D and backstab. They’re all entitled to their opinions, and their immalleability.

in Thief

Webley.1295

thats how im rolling now

If you had scorpion wire… this build would be complete

in Thief

Azure.8670

wait until you see my next toon! aiming to make him look like Quan Chi. ive decided to try stealth build for now since it looks like its going to get nerfed, ill try it out while I can. After that im def going to try Carrion set up

in Thief

Azure.8670

Only thing I dont know is what to do with equipment. Trying to decide if I want to put full power/tough/vit or power/crit/vit crests on my trinets…maybe armor too?

in Thief

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’d say use what you’re most comfortable with on you melee set. Just understand its limits. I suppose the same can be said for ranged but I really find my Shortbow invaluable. Infiltrator’s Shot, Signet of Shadows and Shadow Refuge has really gotten me out of some sticky situations. My melee set is S/D and I find it good for chasing down loners while still being able to contribute in big fights. My other utility is Caltrops, for the added edge in a fight, and I switch between Dagger Storm and Thief’s Guild as I see fit. Usually have DS in zergs do capitalize on all the cross fire and use TG to finish small scale fights quickly. I go 0/0/20/30/20 in traits and find I what this build has opposed to other classes is the mobility and illusiveness. I can camp around an area with a high concentration of enemies, harass and possibly kill anyone who strays too far from the zerg and easily escape them when they decide I’m too annoying to ignore. Good for scouting too report enemy activity too. Oh and I have Withdraw as my heal cause of its fast recharge and quick space maker properties.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Thief

Posted by: Daevara.9038

Daevara.9038

I personally play D/D or D/P combined with Shortbow in WvW. Shortbow really is the secondary weapon to use, there is absolutely no excuse not to bring it to WvW. Clusterbomb is the only strong AoE we have and, especially with a glass cannon build, can hit for insane numbers. Additionally Infiltrator’s Arrow is one of the best escape tools we have. So bring your bow, period.

In melee I personally prefer the stealth/backstab gameplay. I tried S/D and while the autoattack hits really hard and the additional shadowstep is nice Flanking Strike is quite useless and all in all it felt more like an attrition build. Yes I have to admit that I like the big crit numbers

I like both D/D and D/P. The pistol offhand gives you a lot more utility with Headshot as an quick interrupt and Black Powder for easy stealthing (combo with heartseeker even when no enemy is near) and protection. Additionally Shadow Shot is a decent gap closer and would be great if it wouldn’t root you for a short time after using it, allowing the enemy to get away again.
D/D has the amazing Dancing Dagger and with Cloak and Dagger you pay 3 less initiative for your stealth. I personally use both sets and switch occasionally.

For my Traits I run a 20/30/0/20/0 Build combined with Valkerie Armor. This gives me some degree of survivability which in WvW is needed imo. There are just too many AoEs flying around that I would be comfortable using a pure berserker setup.

thats how im rolling now

If you had scorpion wire… this build would be complete

Scorpion Wire is nice to have in siege situations but not very good anywhere else. I occasionally put it on my bar but in most WvW situations the skills Azure uses are golden.

Lynessa | Daevara
Kodash [DE]

in Thief

Posted by: Jefzor.7145

Jefzor.7145

Practiced tolerance and a couple of Valkyrie pieces should get you 15k hp.