Idea to make P/P viable

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Momekic.8603

Momekic.8603

I rarely ever start topics on the forums, but I sometimes reply to them. So, here goes my 1st topic.

I have seen many ideas to make P/P viable, and some would be decent, while others would be kind of OP. I just haven’t seen any that just sparked my interest. So, I thought I would share my idea to make the weapon set viable in PvP.

Basically skill number 2 on the P/P set is never really used, so it needs to be changed to something useful. My idea would be to change it to a skill I would call ‘Dragon Gun’ (an ode to a crappy Witch Hunter skill in Warhammer):

Dragon Gun: Shoot an incendiary projectile at your feet, causing the ground to catch on fire and cause burning damage anyone within its radius
- Initiative Cost 3
- Burning (3 seconds) 1,000 Damage
- Ring of Fire Duration: 1 sec
- Combo Finisher: Blast

The skill would be a blast finisher with no direct damage, just the burning damage. I propose this because it allows the thief a way to stealth (Black Powder [Smoke field]+ Dragon Gun [Blast Finisher]), and the skill would not be able to spam a powerful direct damage attack, but would still do some damage with the burn.

Just thought I would share this as an idea for discussion, please share any feedback.

I also posted to possibly try to get some attention from anyone at ANet that might be reading this to look into a minor fix(buff) for the P/P weapon set.

~ Momekic

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

Great suggestion, would also add much needed viability to the P/D set (though I’m sure it wouldn’t be enough, especially with the caltrops nerf)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

*Sigh….. I really don’t want to come off as condescending or rain on anyone’s parade, but it’s so nuts how many people focus on Body Shot when Body Shot is merely a casualty of the real (massive) design flaw of the set – That Unload has to function as your ‘autoattack’ because Vital Shot is too weak to carry the set’s basic DPS the way it should. This one problem ruins the whole set through resource starvation. In other words, Body Shot only sucks because using it siphons away Initiative that you need to do basic DPS through Unload and therefore causes your DPS to tank more than it should, which is a design problem with Vital Shot/Unload more than it is an issue with Body Shot.

Here’s what needs to happen:

Vital Shot needs to be about 20% faster so it can function as the set’s primary source of basic DPS.

Unload needs to be reworked into a utilitarian option, such as a spray AoE, that supplements Vital Shot rather than replacing it and is good in different situations than Body Shot (zerg vs. single target), so that you can use either flexibly as the situation calls for.

That will fix 90% of the problem with the set.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

Then there’s still the problem with mobility. I think vital shot’s auto attack is slower than what the tooltip says like most other ranged aa’s. Another suggestion would be for all pistol attacks to be piercing.

Also that trait that bounces bullets needs some type of rework as well.

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

I agree with Einlanzer.1627.

Another big issue plaguing P/P specifically is that while Unload is a power based attack, Vital Shot is a condition stacking one.

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: casey.1546

casey.1546

Completely agree with Einlanzer and Imperatora. I also think the weapon skills shouldn’t be the same. P/P has completely different playstyle than P/D, so while Vital Shot works on P/D it really should be completely different attack on P/P and Sneak Attack rarely gets because of no access to stealth . I would like to see Body Shot give 0.5 sec of stealth and Head Shot teleport to the target, but only on the P/P set. I like Momekics suggestion mainly for the access to stealth and the fire damage would be cool. My only concern with it is the blast finisher. We will end up having to burn all initiative just to get stealth similar to D/P. With Unload being our main DPS you would never have enough initiative to stealth or not enough to put out decent damage.

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

I think PP is pretty decent as is… just my 2c.

I rock the PP & DD … pretty cruisy time.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Is there even any word from devs that they are aware of the sucky state of p/p? Or are they trying to ignore this weapon combination out of the existence?

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: Foddzy.6291

Foddzy.6291

P/P can be ignored because it is not a weapon set that has ever been widely used, this is “Anet-logick”. The “good” weapon sets, used by the good players of course, get all the attention.

Another consideration for P/P is lack of condition removal, I think a light field on #2 might be reasonable.

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

Is there even any word from devs that they are aware of the sucky state of p/p? Or are they trying to ignore this weapon combination out of the existence?

I recently tried getting an answer from ANet regarding this issue, without success of course. :/

Idea to make P/P viable

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

P/P can be ignored because it is not a weapon set that has ever been widely used, this is “Anet-logick”. The “good” weapon sets, used by the good players of course, get all the attention.

Not sure if srs.
Considering That P/P once upon a time pre-release was good. Then they nerfed it.
Then there was release and they nerfed S/P, minor touched D/, then S/D, then /D, nerfed SB, and made P/D a worse secondary set that could only 5-1. Nerfed quickness hitting S/P, S/D and P/P again.It doesn’t matter if something was “good” or not. They do what they feel and you’re along for the ride brah.

P/P seemingly will never get movement.
Boost the damage on Vital shot, Headshot and Black powder. Let body shot return 1 initiative if it goes through a combo field so it’s cheaper for P/P to defend itself.

The great forum duppy.