In love with a subpar weapon set

in Thief

Posted by: Shotzo.6209

Shotzo.6209

Specifically Dual pistols, I was curious if I can make it work in pve/wvw/events
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUm6O3ey5E95Ex2DgmTe6pAsiVTBOfJA-jAyAYLBRyCARAM5VEN2yaR0Y11YKXioa7dR0qFCY0CA-e
was what Ive been playing around with, especially for group play.. Would it be viable?

in Thief

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Anyone choosing P/P is in store for a tough road ahead. With dual pistols, you’ll have to work much harder than other players to achieve the same results, any mistake you make will probably get you killed, and even playing flawlessly against other classes or builds may not be enough to get a win if your opponent is worth his salt.

That said, it is an incredibly fun and rewarding weapon set to use if you’re the type of player who enjoys playing games on hard mode. I’ve got four level 80 characters with multiple gear sets for different builds and NOTHING comes close to how much fun I have playing my gunslinger.

Here’s some links to get you started:
http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/thief/P-P-thief-wvw-roaming-video-Build

http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/thief/Stealthless-Gunslinger-Dueling-Edition-video

in Thief

Posted by: Shotzo.6209

Shotzo.6209

Would it be worthwhile to use shortbow for aoe situations? Zergs and the like?

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Would it be worthwhile to use shortbow for aoe situations? Zergs and the like?

Shortbow is the only viable ‘zerg weapon’ thief has. #4 +#2 combos for aoe weakness which is useful, as well as one being a big poison field and the other very, very high damage aoe. Dagger storm is also a great ability to kite zergs and deal a bunch of damage with to support your own zerg.

As a thief in wvw your job is not to attack with the zerg but to pick off single targets and deal big damage and lay down poison fields while kiting the enemy melee train. Shortbow is really good at that.

As for group situations and dungeons, with pistol/pistol instead of shortbow you are giving up a blast combo finisher which gives area might on fire fields as well as other boons and healing. You also give up AoE ability and extra evades when necessary, as well as mobility.

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

in Thief

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

PvE-wise:

Ricochet is surprisingly awesome with P/P, though. But yes when I play it on my thief I typically go shortbow in the other slot, because well. It is the strongest group support weapon a Thief has, in my opinion.

However, in champion zergs it’s also pretty awesome to always supply 25 vulnerability if needed as P/P.

in Thief

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

I enjoy gunslinging also. After watching Taquito’s videos I had no excuse not to make one. I made him a few days ago, he’s almost level 20 and just shooting up a storm.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

I use it for PvE, I like its synergy with signet of malice.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

Dual pistols are like career cheerleaders – pretty to look at and fun to use, aside that they are an embarrassment.

in Thief

Posted by: Jakare.6807

Jakare.6807

I’d consider training into acrobatics instead of deadly arts, as you need as much initiative regen as you can get with dual pistols, due to unload spam being your main source of damage.

I had a look at your build and switched some stuff around:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUm6O3ey5E95Ex2DgmTe6pAsiVTBOfJA-jAyAYLBRyCARAM5VEN2yaR0Y11YKXioa7dR0qFCY0CA-e

Taking 20 points out of deadly arts means you lose the 200 power, 5% damage on dual skills and vuln on crit, but to make up for it I took power of inertia, as you can get 3 might stack dodge rolls with feline grace, which gives you back some of the power you lost.

I swapped flanking strikes for thrill of the crime, and combo critical chance for furious retaliation, as you otherwise didn’t have any access to fury and having a low crit chance can really hurt your damage with pistols, as unload damage is spread across multiple hits, so you want as many of them to crit as possible.

If you want more init regen you could take signet recharge in the critical strikes trait line and take infiltrators signet in place of roll for init, as you’d be able to get back 4 init every 24 secs by activating signet of shadows and infiltrators signet, which means 8 init every 48 secs, as well as still having a stun break.

Úchî/Aulrathil
[TI] Team Ignition (Gandara)

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

As a thief in wvw your job is not to attack with the zerg but to pick off single targets and deal big damage and lay down poison fields while kiting the enemy melee train. Shortbow is really good at that.

My WvW suggestions:

• Drop blast finishers to heal or buff depending on the situation
  • Use a SB with Sigil of Flame on it. Ouch!
  • If going down the SA Line, Signet of Malice is ridiculously good. Stealth to the back line + Dagger Storm + Signet of Malice = LOTS of dead squishies and you are practically unkillable from a surprise position. This trick is also a very fast camp killer.
  • After that, I start zerg surfing and picking off wounded players with D/D or S/D which is also made easier with the SA Line
Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”