Interview with a top thief (Ningyou)

in Thief

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

Hey guys I wanna thank you so much for 400 subs so far and I will continue uploading videos everyday
I am trying my best to provide you guys with the best content possible and therefore i had the honour to invite Ningyou of Team Dopplers Effekt/Team Cheese Mode to an interview to share his opinion about his class the game and the current meta!
Also he told me a few tipps and tricks for new thieves!
I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did and much more interviews with top players will follow!
As always leave a like and subscribe to my channel to join Sensotix’ Army for more videos, interviews and guides!

I am aware of the fact that the video is quite long but I think that’s pretty nice!
I have added an overview in the description so make sure to check it out if you want to skip a part because you think you already know enough about it

Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR5OL9GB-VA

Thanks for all your support guys, rating the video and leaving a comment is always appreciated!

Link to my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialSensotix

(edited by Sensotix.4106)

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

This is very nice! I have been looking for some more thief resources ever since SOAC ended the thief podcast. +1

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

glad you enjoyed it really tried my best

in Thief

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

Try not to use “Top”, which implies [Better than everyone else] in your threads, you done this with the Guardian section too lol.

There are alot of other good/great Thiefs in GW2. You are disregarding hundreds of thousands of other thieves.

“Best at 1v1?

- Best 1v1 against Necro’s
– Best 1v1 against Engi’s?
– Best 1v1 against Guard’s?
– Best 1v1 against Ele’s?
– Best 1v1 against other Thiefs?
– Best 1v1 against Warriors?
– Best 1v1 against Ranger’s?
– Best 1v1 against Mesmer’s?

Best at Bunkering?

- Best bunker against Necro’s
– Best bunker against Engi’s?
– Best bunker against other Guard’s?
– Best bunker against Ele’s?
– Best bunker against Thiefs?
– Best bunker against Warriors?
– Best bunker against Ranger’s?
– Best bunker against Mesmer’s?

Best Healing Spec?

- Best self healing Spec?
– Best group healing Spec?

Best DPS Spec?

Best Condi removal Spec?
– Best group condi removal?
– Best self condi removal?

With so many builds and play styles, when you place “Best” infront of any one, that just completly disregards all other builds and players out there.

Thanks for the support though.”

I just copied and pasted what I wrote in your thread “Interview with a top guardian (Azshene)” Which was renamed from “Interview with GW2 top guardian (Azshene)” or so because you made the mistake of using “Best” in your post.

Crazy Leg

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

title: “a” top thief….not “the” top thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

Wow this was amazingly informative. Really appreciate the time you guys took to put this together.

I haven’t touched sPvP in a while now for much of the same reasons discussed in the interview. Build variety and viability is definitely in a horrible place for Thieves at the moment.

Builds that make heavy use of Stealth and related mechanics such as Stealth Attacks and related traits (consisting of a large majority of the Thief’s build repertoire) give up the ability to effectively contest points, which makes them completely unviable in high-level sPvP. Yet the constant Stealth related QQ from the mindless masses from WvW and sPvP hotjoin scrubs has already resulted in the extension of Revealed by 33% (which is still not yet reverted in sPvP where Stealth needs the most help), and will soon result in further decreasing the viability of Stealth in the form of enemy-induced Revealed.

I would like to ask for Ningyou’s opinion on the prospect of possibly removing the Invisibility aspect of Stealth altogether (call it something different) in return for the ability to contest points. The user would still be untargettable by single-target skills, but can still be hit by AoE’s, Cleaves, and non-targeted projectiles, and would remain clearly visible throughout the duration. Let AI continue to treat Thieves in this state as if they were Invisible as before, to retain the mechanic’s utility in PvE and improve its viability against AI-heavy builds in sPvP.

I feel this idea is worth experimenting with, because in my humble opinion, the entire Stealth mechanic will never truly be viable as a mechanic to build around for as long as the Stealth state itself precludes contesting points. I’m also hoping the removal of Invisibility will bring a slightly more civilized tone to the balance “debate” in the forums and elsewhere that forced ANet’s hand in nerfing Stealth to this sorry state to begin with.

I would very much appreciate any input a Thief player in the high-level competitive scene can offer on this idea.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

glad you enjoyed it!
and i will talk to ningyou about it and/or collect all questions and do another video

in Thief

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

Try not to use “Top”, which implies [Better than everyone else] in your threads, you done this with the Guardian section too lol.

There are alot of other good/great Thiefs in GW2. You are disregarding hundreds of thousands of other thieves.

“Best at 1v1?

Best at Bunkering?

Best Healing Spec?

Best DPS Spec?

Best Condi removal Spec?

With so many builds and play styles, when you place “Best” infront of any one, that just completly disregards all other builds and players out there.

I just copied and pasted what I wrote in your thread “Interview with a top guardian (Azshene)” Which was renamed from “Interview with GW2 top guardian (Azshene)” or so because you made the mistake of using “Best” in your post.

You need to chill out, if sens says this is a top thief, he is a top thief.

You saying azshene is not a top guardian is blasphemy. If you are in high level tourneys, you are a top player in this game. Let’s not get all nerdy and try to be like, “well he is only top vs x class.”

Stop the h8.

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in Thief

Littlefeather.8623

“Best at 1v1?

Best at Bunkering?

Best Healing Spec?

Best DPS Spec?

Best Condi removal Spec?

You need to chill out, if sens says this is a top thief, he is a top thief.

You saying azshene is not a top guardian is blasphemy. If you are in high level tourneys, you are a top player in this game. Let’s not get all nerdy and try to be like, “well he is only top vs x class.”

Stop the h8.

I respectfully disagree, As I down 9 out of 10 melee players on my guardian, I can not comfortably take some one down if they kite me, as I can down 9 out of 10 players at range 1v1 on my P/P theif, I have to escape if I get doubleteamed. Every one in this game has their certain play styles which they prefer for their build, a “Top Team” is made up of organized team players. This does not mean they can 1v1 for anything though, now I know PvP is a “Team” environment, but if a no name player from a no name team is great at 1v1 for fighting in one situation versus another, IMO this would make that single player better than any one on a top team. For example if any one on a “Top Team” gets defeated 1v1 against a no name player, IMO that no name player is better than the “Top Team” player who got downed.

Crazy Leg

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

oh god do i really have to explain it again..i have been watching him playing via stream i saw him in several good tournaments i talked to other good/highranked players and i think after one year of pvp only i can tell if a player is good and is one of the top or not

in Thief

Littlefeather.8623

oh god do i really have to explain it again..i have been watching him playing via stream i saw him in several good tournaments i talked to other good/highranked players and i think after one year of pvp only i can tell if a player is good and is one of the top or not

As a player I respect your groud, but as a member of free society and consumer of a free market / economy, this is just like researching an article on a product from a website where the author is biased and promoting a certain product over others in the text.

Thats all im saying, Im sure there are a lot of readers who look at your posts in awe and amazement, but in order to appeal to the masses you should at least have some kind of unbiased approach to these things. I would agree with your opinion if you offered comparisons, made valid points to credit an aspect of PvP you want to communicate.

In LIBS 101, you learn this, you need to do a good amount of research to communicate to your target audience, whether it is unbiased or not is soley up to you, but these things can be picked up on.

Crazy Leg

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

tpvp is fast action hard duels positioning tactic and movement and if you are in the top 100 you have mastered all of these..so if u are in the top 20..like ningyou..

(edited by Sensotix.4106)

in Thief

Posted by: Sceinna.3561

Sceinna.3561

Wow this was amazingly informative. Really appreciate the time you guys took to put this together.

I haven’t touched sPvP in a while now for much of the same reasons discussed in the interview. Build variety and viability is definitely in a horrible place for Thieves at the moment.

Builds that make heavy use of Stealth and related mechanics such as Stealth Attacks and related traits (consisting of a large majority of the Thief’s build repertoire) give up the ability to effectively contest points, which makes them completely unviable in high-level sPvP. Yet the constant Stealth related QQ from the mindless masses from WvW and sPvP hotjoin scrubs has already resulted in the extension of Revealed by 33% (which is still not yet reverted in sPvP where Stealth needs the most help), and will soon result in further decreasing the viability of Stealth in the form of enemy-induced Revealed.

I would like to ask for Ningyou’s opinion on the prospect of possibly removing the Invisibility aspect of Stealth altogether (call it something different) in return for the ability to contest points. The user would still be untargettable by single-target skills, but can still be hit by AoE’s, Cleaves, and non-targeted projectiles, and would remain clearly visible throughout the duration. Let AI continue to treat Thieves in this state as if they were Invisible as before, to retain the mechanic’s utility in PvE and improve its viability against AI-heavy builds in sPvP.

I feel this idea is worth experimenting with, because in my humble opinion, the entire Stealth mechanic will never truly be viable as a mechanic to build around for as long as the Stealth state itself precludes contesting points. I’m also hoping the removal of Invisibility will bring a slightly more civilized tone to the balance “debate” in the forums and elsewhere that forced ANet’s hand in nerfing Stealth to this sorry state to begin with.

I would very much appreciate any input a Thief player in the high-level competitive scene can offer on this idea.

The only mistake that was made is stealth stacking higher than 3s, completely useless in sPvP of course. If stealth would always be 3s hidden 3s revealed~ you wouldn’t have so much QQ about it.

Where stealth/perma stealth is completely useless in sPvP, it is extremely OP in WvW. Thieves in sPvP is a joke tho, no cc, not able to hold points unless you’re going S/D and evade/step like crazy. I’m personally not into the crowd control game.. though WvW gets really boring and repetitive too. Kinda hoping for GvG, Anet?

in Thief

Posted by: Bartthas.5329

Bartthas.5329

Ohh glad for us, we have someone like you <3
I watched maybe a 5-10 minuts, of movie, and my knowledge of spvp of thief has grown soo muuuch. Tommorow I hope i will have time to watch all of that, and become better with my thief:) Keep makin!

in Thief

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

…as a member of free society and consumer of a free market / economy…

As a human being I’m ambarassed that we live on the same planet.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Thief

nagymbear.5280

The link leads to the ranger interview.

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

Why? I thought Littlefeather articulated their point quite well.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

The only mistake that was made is stealth stacking higher than 3s, completely useless in sPvP of course. If stealth would always be 3s hidden 3s revealed~ you wouldn’t have so much QQ about it.

Where stealth/perma stealth is completely useless in sPvP, it is extremely OP in WvW. Thieves in sPvP is a joke tho, no cc, not able to hold points unless you’re going S/D and evade/step like crazy. I’m personally not into the crowd control game.. though WvW gets really boring and repetitive too. Kinda hoping for GvG, Anet?

I think the stealth stacking in pvp is actually a great mechanic since it can open up great teamplay

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

Ohh glad for us, we have someone like you <3
I watched maybe a 5-10 minuts, of movie, and my knowledge of spvp of thief has grown soo muuuch. Tommorow I hope i will have time to watch all of that, and become better with my thief:) Keep makin!

Thanks a lot If you have any questions dont hesitate asking me I plan on doing a Q&A with Ningyou

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

The link leads to the ranger interview.

sorry my bad! changed it now

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

I understand his point but I would say I am experienced when it comes to knowing who knows how to play his class and who doesn’t and I explained it in an other thread how I choose the people I interview and I am really tired to do it again sorry :/

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

As a player I respect your groud, but as a member of free society and consumer of a free market / economy, this is just like researching an article on a product from a website where the author is biased and promoting a certain product over others in the text.

If you really are “a member of free society and consumer of a free market / economy” then why don’t you conduct your own research and prove to us that the promotion is indeed biased?

So far, you have not shown any research of your own.

Thats all im saying, Im sure there are a lot of readers who look at your posts in awe and amazement, but in order to appeal to the masses you should at least have some kind of unbiased approach to these things. I would agree with your opinion if you offered comparisons, made valid points to credit an aspect of PvP you want to communicate.

If you take your own advice and conduct a research of your own, you won’t say such things.

In LIBS 101, you learn this, you need to do a good amount of research to communicate to your target audience, whether it is unbiased or not is soley up to you, but these things can be picked up on.

Well, to be honest, you failed at communicating. The video and the content of the interview is a solid proof. For each player who plays thief and watch this guy can attest that he is indeed a top player.

So please, spare us with your non-sense.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Kaon.7192

Even if we set aside the contents of the interview for a moment (which easily demonstrates his profound knowledge of the Thief profession and the state of the current competitive meta), the simple fact that he has been accepted by a highly competitive sPvP team as a regular member, and has demonstrated excellent plays in high-level publicly broadcasted tournaments, really should be sufficient grounds to claim that he is a top tier Thief player.

I’m not even sure why there is any debate about this… Would you claim any of the players who participated in the International are not top tier Dota 2 players?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Even if we set aside the contents of the interview for a moment (which easily demonstrates his profound knowledge of the Thief profession and the state of the current competitive meta), the simple fact that he has been accepted by a highly competitive sPvP team as a regular member, and has demonstrated excellent plays in high-level publicly broadcasted tournaments, really should be sufficient grounds to claim that he is a top tier Thief player.

I’m not even sure why there is any debate about this… Would you claim any of the players who participated in the International are not top tier Dota 2 players?

ikr?

It’s really funny how he mentions about “research” yet he failed to do so. lol. fun stuff.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Imagi.4561

I understand his point but I would say I am experienced when it comes to knowing who knows how to play his class and who doesn’t and I explained it in an other thread how I choose the people I interview and I am really tired to do it again sorry :/

From what I read, Littlefeather wasn’t questioning your credentials so much as protesting the use of “top thief” and any related terminology. Their point was that it’s vague and undefined, and therefore implies bias.

#ELEtism

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

From what I read, Littlefeather wasn’t questioning your credentials so much as protesting the use of “top thief” and any related terminology. Their point was that it’s vague and undefined, and therefore implies bias.

I say it’s a brilliant marketing scheme, but that’s just my biased opinion. IMO, all interviews are biased in favor of the guest. So what’s the big deal?

in Thief

Littlefeather.8623

^ Exactly,

And I am not the person trying to communicate to readers who is one of the best theifs and why, that is the authors responsibilty. I am just pointing out that the author is lacking unbiased criteria. Advertisement agencies are completly biased on trying to get their audience to buy certain products over others by using keen wording, flipping numbers, unbalanced polls, etc.

As a reader of this and many other threads, In all honesty, I would appreciate your work if you provided actual data, analysis, comparisons, to proove that your find is true, instead of personal opinions. Not trying to be disrespectful at all, just being honest.

Crazy Leg

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

the reason I use top thief here is because new players (who obviously need tipps and tricks) may not have heard of him so they might think it’s just an interview with some thief that was available in this minute for the interview so they might think it’s not worth watching it…but if i use the term “top” they will think oh wait he might be good let’s check it out….

So why do that?

• It helps the player to get better known (which is nice since he deserves it and it was a lot of work doing this interview)
  • It helps new players since the chance that they actually click on the thread is higher if I use the term “top” (so it helps them because they can actually learn smth which they might have missed if they ignored this thread)
  • I appreciate the views…I don’t get anything from it..for me it’s 1 hour or smth of research (i know 1 hour is not that much but I have been playing with/against most of the guys I interview so I know who is good)…3 hours of rendering and cutting the video…14 hours of upload to youtube..during this time I can’t use my pc because it is too slow…and then I tried to write the scenes in the description so it’s easier for people to get what they are searching for…the only real thing i get from doing this is to know that I could help new players..because I know how important that is since at the beginning of gw2 when I was new i was confused and a guide like that could have helped me a lot…

in Thief

Kaon.7192

^ Exactly,

And I am not the person trying to communicate to readers who is one of the best theifs and why, that is the authors responsibilty. I am just pointing out that the author is lacking unbiased criteria. Advertisement agencies are completly biased on trying to get their audience to buy certain products over others by using keen wording, flipping numbers, unbalanced polls, etc.

As a reader of this and many other threads, In all honesty, I would appreciate your work if you provided actual data, analysis, comparisons, to proove that your find is true, instead of personal opinions. Not trying to be disrespectful at all, just being honest.

“… the simple fact that he has been accepted by a highly competitive sPvP team as a regular member, and has demonstrated excellent plays in high-level publicly broadcasted tournaments, really should be sufficient grounds to claim that he is a top tier Thief player.”

As such, the burden is on you to dispute the fact that he is a top tier Thief player, if you have some valid reason to believe he does not deserve this title despite his accomplishments, and not on Sensotix to prove it. The very core of your complaint is ill-formed.

And if you have listened to the interview at any length, you would find that it does very little to promote the player himself, but rather simply acts a venue for him to share his knowledge, experience and opinions of the profession and the competitive meta with other aspiring Thief players.

They took time out of their own schedules to contribute to the Thief/sPvP community, and instead of appreciating their time and efforts, you come into this thread and baselessly attack their credibility and make ill-directed comparisons of this interview to some dirty attention grabbing marketing scheme (because there is just so much personal gain to be reaped in becoming famous in the GW2 sPvP scene, amirite?).

At this point the least you could do is offer an apology for misinterpreting the intent of their work.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

I don’t really like you for your whiny attitude towards S/D thieves / Infil strike, but this guy Ningyou speaks out of my soul. Very interesting interview so far (still listening), thanks for the effort.

Edit 1: apology accepted
Edit 2: Nothing really new for me, but the weakness part vs. Necros was kinda interesting, will definitely try this strategy.

Retired GW2 Player

(edited by laquito.5269)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

^ Exactly,

Well, gee, what’s so “great” about Gatsby? The title of the book is so bias.

If you read the book, you’ll know why. If you watch the video/listen to the interview, you’ll know why.

You just have to do your part of the research.

With all honesty, you can find that out on your own if you research — just being honest.

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

I don’t really like you for your whiny attitude towards S/D thieves / Infil strike, but this guy Ningyou speaks out of my soul. Very interesting interview so far (still listening), thanks for the effort.

Edit 1: apology accepted
Edit 2: Nothing really new for me, but the weakness part vs. Necros was kinda interesting, will definitely try this strategy.

Yes i understand that you didn’t like the attitude sometimes it’s hard to keep your emotions together in this game tho shall not be an excuse tho

Also I have learned many things I didn’t know about thief myself so it was a pleasure to interview him and that’s exactly what I was looking for..smbdy experienced to explain to me why thief was not too strong in a detailed and objective way

in Thief

Divinity.8041

what rank are you again? If you are not in top 100, please don’t ever respond to this thread, or even talk against sens, or anyone he interviews.

stop being “that guy” who just likes to annoy everyone and be like, well technically he isn’t x etc.

bads will be bad.

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in Thief

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Careful guys. This man is a pro:

Littlefeather.8623 Personal best rank 970 (0 hour ago)

[SoF]

in Thief

Posted by: Destiny.6738

Destiny.6738

Careful guys. This man is a pro:

Littlefeather.8623 Personal best rank 970 (0 hour ago)

Apart from this littlefeather guy is right or wrong. Never use GW2’ ranking as an argument for skill. People should stop talking about LB before it’s not fixed.

Anyway, good work here Sensotix, appreciate it!

(edited by Destiny.6738)

in Thief

nagymbear.5280

Rank has nothing to do with judging who is a top player. That is not the point. The point is that is not necessary to start an argument about who you can call top player. It is arguing for the sake of arguing.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

If he plays better than me, he’s a top player in my book. Care to argue?

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

I don’t really care about the arguing it’s just funny for me
for example arguing that azshene is a top pvp player..he is both top 1 team q and solo q (i know solo q doesnt really count) still ^^

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

My point is, it’s my opinion and if I think he’s a top player, then he is. In your opinion, if you think he’s a top player, then he is.

The sour buckets here are just trying to be politically correct even though they violate the very standard they want to impose on you.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

Does he have any videos of his gameplay in tpvp?

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Posted by: Walker.3056

Walker.3056

Does he have any videos of his gameplay in tpvp?

I dont know if he has it uploaded on some channel but ive seen him playing some matches as part of Car Crash [CC] (PAX winner) while Lady Nag Nag couldnt play and he just rocked

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I don’t care about the stupid top thief discussion, I just want to see examples of his gameplay. The only good s/d thief i’ve watched from the thief POV is jumper and his 2x s/d build was pretty different.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Divinity.8041

When is someone going to interview sens…or another mesmer? ^^

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

I can’t really interview myself also that’s like I would call myself a Top Mesmer which is quite arrogant so if someone wants to see an interview with me I would b eup for it

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

I really tried to get gameplay but Blu and Grouch told me I had to talk to an other Dev to get Gameplay from the tournys…so i am afraid you have to search on your own..

in Thief

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Very Interesting interview.

Arena.net,

Another evidence of Favoritism of your Favorite class; Thief, alongside Warrior.

You Intentionally Nerfed Spirit Ranger and our pets in favor for Favoritism,.

That was all i needed to hear.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Thief

Imagi.4561

Very Interesting interview.

Arena.net,

Another evidence of Favoritism of your Favorite class; Thief, alongside Warrior.

You Intentionally Nerfed Spirit Ranger and our pets in favor for Favoritism,.

That was all i needed to hear.

The claim that “Thief is ArenaNet’s favorite class” never ceases to amuse me.

#ELEtism

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

haha as if anet would have a favourite class…every class has seen it’s ups and downs…the only class that was viable all the time was the bunker guardian and that’s only because of it’s role in pvp

in Thief

Imagi.4561

Out of curiosity, what are the downsides of Warrior?

#ELEtism

in Thief

Sensotix.4106

What is this business of “a top thief”? This is quite kitteny to come into a forum and post “a top thief” as if everyone knows anything about this shadow. The ones that advertise themselves get torn down the fastest.

I bet I could nail down this “top thief” >:) What say you good sir? A duel, or multiple?

if you don’t know ningyou you have never played guild wars 2 pvp

thanks for the comment.