Is Scorpion Pull at all useful?

in Thief

Posted by: Amor.1658

Amor.1658

So, I’ve been playing around with WvW a bit, and while I’m an admitted novice and still learning, it seems like Scorpion Pull is next to useless, especially when compared to the other pulls professions have. Despite at least a near dozen times trying to use it, it only succeeded once – and that was against a Mesmer who was standing still. It seems that unless they’re right on top of me (invalidating the need for the skill, really) its impossible to grab someone because they’ll just be out of range by the time the second long animation finally ‘hits’ them.

Is there just something I’m messing up? Or is this skill really that useless and doesn’t deserve being on a skill bar?

in Thief

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

It’s terrible.

Scorpion wire: Pulls your target, it’s a projectile, 30s cd, 1/2 cast time, buggy pull
Necrotic grasp: Grants life force, chills your target, pulls your target, it’s a projectile, 30s cd, 3/4 cast time, buggy pull.
Into the void: 2 skills in one, not a projectile, pulls multiple targets reliably and you can choose where you want to pull them, unlike the two others doesn’t even requires your targets to be at the extremity of a fort wall to hope getting a pull, 25s cd, 1/4s cast time.

I think the comparison speak for itself. It should at least steal 2 boons.

That being said it still have some uses, pulling someone can result in a free kill.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

(edited by Puru.4217)

in Thief

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i use it on jumping puzzle vs campers, i stealth and pull them before they knockback/fear me
outside JP i find it uselss, skill is easy to dodge /block, and it won’;t pull more then 600 range:)

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Thief

Posted by: Zephyric Reaper.3049

Zephyric Reaper.3049

As a GC thief you might find it a waste of utility. But as a survival thief I can give myself the luxury to sometimes carry it around and pick people off cliff or the sort. It’s fun, it’s buggy, not the best pull but SOMETIMES it’s good for a gank. Should have much less CD imo for it terribleness but there’s nothing more satisfactory than seeing someone desperately trying to avoid their inevitable fall.

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

I use it tons for dragging people off keep walls in wvw, for dragging people trying to escape back, dragging people from the middle of their zerg to the middle of our zerg.

Heck even got some use out of it in dungeons to pull the odd mob and there was a real nice use for it on CoF until the stealth agro nerf.

Yes its kind of buggy at times and it can be hard to judge the distances and such but it can be great fun.

Not saying its the best utility in the world but there are worse, I would love to see its buggyness fixed and maybe a flip skill allowing you to pull yourself to the target/area it landed if the pull actually failed.

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

It has a few uses but yes the range and casting time are a pain. I use it when Im with other people and don’t worry about dying. Closing in on something with shortbow and yanking it back towards your zerg = free kill. Same with pulling people off obstacles and walls.

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

technically its out second longest ranged attack at 1200 range.

Only thing that goes further is a properly timed cluster bomb.

in Thief

Amor.1658

i use it on jumping puzzle vs campers, i stealth and pull them before they knockback/fear me
outside JP i find it uselss, skill is easy to dodge /block, and it won’;t pull more then 600 range:)

That’s actually the most use I’ve gotten out of it against a Mesmer who was camping in Obsidian Sanctum. But beyond this, I’ve never managed to pull someone off of walls yet (always get obscured) and it seems that by the time the wire hits where they now are, they’re far enough away from the initial cast of the wire to be out of range.

I think it’d be a lot better if they’d only check for the range on the skill’s cast. It can keep the animation/cast time, so player’s can dodge it. But if they were in range from when it was cast, it should still hit. Or heck, if they’re still in range of you (it seems like it compares the range from where they are when it hits, to where you were when it cast – which I think is the major reason why it seems so bloody useless when I try).

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Compared to some other pulls (the example mentioned was Necro’s “Necrotic Grasp”), it’s really not that great; however, it definitely is pretty useful. The time you’re going to use it most is when you’re attacking a tower on WvW. Just pull enemies down from above, and they’ll pretty much die instantly under your army.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

it is so unreliable (targeting the lower torso/feet), and you get ~1/3 chance to pull him

other outcomes: target is knocked down for 0.1 sec (lol buggy skill)
miss/block/out of range etc.
no synergy with any trait
i wouldn’t take this skill even it had 15 sec cool down

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

it is so unreliable (targeting the lower torso/feet), and you get ~1/3 chance to pull him

other outcomes: target is knocked down for 0.1 sec (lol buggy skill)
miss/block/out of range etc.
no synergy with any trait
i wouldn’t take this skill even it had 15 sec cool down

If it had a 15 second cooldown I wouldn’t run anything else in WvW… a great CC on that kind of cd? Yes please.

And the first part of your post makes no sense whatsoever. People don’t dodge/block it because they don’t see it coming, even more so because most thieves roll with the hurrdurr backstab spec and it’s actually easy to land if you know how it works. Anticipate where the enemy is going and make sure you’ll be in range and he won’t be behind cover/hills when it connects.

in Thief

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

i like it very much. a lot of potential wasted by bugged stuff .

i think, if the game was not burst/bunker-centric, scorpion wire was something like a must on thief. btw it is so underused that almost 90% of the times i used every opponet were hit by it.

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

I once ran 100 attempts of using it and can’t be bothered to dig up the post of the stats but it was something like a 28% success rate of using it.

Tiger

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

I tend to make sure im hitting them with shortbow autoattacks before I hurl it as well making sure they aren’t obstructed and are in range and all that.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

And the first part of your post makes no sense whatsoever.

this→

I once ran 100 attempts of using it and can’t be bothered to dig up the post of the stats but it was something like a 28% success rate of using it.

in Thief

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Heck ya it’s useful especially when you’re being snipe or group is and you pull that sniper to where you’re at giving that sniper a bad day

Pineapples

in Thief

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

It would be useful if it had a 3 second CD if it missed.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Thief

Amor.1658

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky with it then, but considering I have to decide between Shadowstep or Scorpion Shot (Signet of Shadows and Shadow Refuge are my other two utilities)… I’ll keep trying to slot in Scorp when it seems like it’ll be more useful, but with how the distance part of it is calculated I don’t think its going to be any use on anything running away.

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Scorpion Wire should be faster/100% pierce through enemies and pull all of them back to you.

CD lowered to 15 seconds and also steal a boon.

in Thief

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

Scorpion wire is Situational.

in Thief

Daecollo.9578

Therefore it will never find its place on a utility bar where non-situational abilities are going.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

Therefore it will never find its place on a utility bar where non-situational abilities are going.

Scorpion Wire is one of those things that won’t really make it into a build, but is something you can use superior mobility to drop out of combat and swap into. I tend to run out and swap it in for offensive siege fights to pull people off of walls, or to pull pesky people out of zergs and into friendly battle lines.

Situational abilities have their place as something you throw on your bar when you foresee the need for it, they aren’t useless just because they make poor standard choices.

in Thief

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-

I used it in the first month of GW2. But then found out about more useful utilities and haven’t looked back.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

as mentioned before, i also use it in EB’s jumping puzzle if there are campers.
besides that, i never carry it around, there are WAY better utilities to use.

Prob here is that the devs instead of improving poor utilities to make them useful they nerf the good ones so that the poor ones actually look better….

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

I actually like using it in TPvP .. My third utility is an optional skill, so I test how to play with certain utilities without rly giving up my effectiveness and SW works well for the knockdown (the pull-over part is what’s bugged mostly, but I only need it for the knockdown)

The skill could use some buff, but it’s fun enough to have a place in my bar.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: Scorpio Spork.9568

Scorpio Spork.9568

I like it underwater, actually. We have so many gtfo abilities underwater, so SW is a nice re-engage.

in Thief

Gwalchgwn.1659

I like it underwater, actually. We have so many gtfo abilities underwater, so SW is a nice re-engage.

Yes, great skill underwater, unlike our “gap closer” throwing spear skill .. seriously I don’t get why you’d use that one.

Ring of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: Scorpio Spork.9568

Scorpio Spork.9568

Yes, great skill underwater, unlike our “gap closer” throwing spear skill .. seriously I don’t get why you’d use that one.

Because I’m still learning/leveling my thief, and because I like pulling enemies into a friendly zerg instead of pulling myself into an unfriendly zerg. It actually got me several easy kills earlier today.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

2 options to fix this skill:
1) make it almost instantaneous (less than .2 seconds)
2) make the knockdown last 2-3 seconds like every other classes KDs

in Thief

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

They should make scorpion wire as it was in GW1:

Hex Spell. For 8…18…20 seconds, the next time you and target foe are more than 100’ apart, you Shadow Step to that foe and that foe is knocked down. This spell has half the normal range.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Scorpion_Wire

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Thief

Gwalchgwn.1659

Because I’m still learning/leveling my thief, and because I like pulling enemies into a friendly zerg instead of pulling myself into an unfriendly zerg. It actually got me several easy kills earlier today.

You misunderstood me
I said “UNLIKE our throwing spear skill”. That skill pulls you to your enemy while crippling them (4#skill on the spear). I don’t get why anyone would use the 4#skill since it’s actually a self-knockdown underwater.
I love scorpion wire underwater. This is a different skill.

Ring of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

I actually like using it in TPvP .. My third utility is an optional skill, so I test how to play with certain utilities without rly giving up my effectiveness and SW works well for the knockdown (the pull-over part is what’s bugged mostly, but I only need it for the knockdown)

imo as a knockdown it is not very good either since it has a cast time and roots you for the full animation of the skill…

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

It’s good for catching someone off guard who is point blank in front of you. Other than that, not really.

I wouldn’t use it except in a duel maybe.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I use it with my S/D build as an interrupt and only at point blank range.

If you play a warrior and you use Bull’s Charge, you’ll know how to use Scorpion Wire.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Cyzaine.8061

Cyzaine.8061

In WvW it’s… limited. Nice when it works, and over time I’ve learned to land it about 50% of the time. Would be nice if it’s cooldown worked like steal though.

In PvE I find it invaluable, particularly in dungeons. You’d be surprised what you can single pull from groups with it, into the waiting hands of your team mates. Used it a lot when my dungeon team was learning Arah to make some of the pulls more manegable. Being single target becomes a feature there.

[CC] of {JQQ} – Fighting the good fight since BWE1

in Thief

Posted by: Asomal.6453

Asomal.6453

It is good with P/D build, when you can pull fleeing peepz into your Caltrops. Maybe, not so much nowdays, since they nerfed Caltrops :/
And it’s really fun to use on that elementalist trying to rtl away

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

It is good with P/D build, when you can pull fleeing peepz into your Caltrops. Maybe, not so much nowdays, since they nerfed Caltrops :/

I pull people to my Ambush trap plus Thieve’s Guild for an easy kill.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: lurak.9365

lurak.9365

I pull people to my Ambush trap plus Thieve’s Guild for an easy kill.

I use it for PvE all of the time pulling into Needle Trap. I’m still new to WvW and I’m trying to figure out how useful it is in this setting. I like to be a little different since I’m not good enough to pull off the high DPS builds.

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

“Get over here!” does not cause a get over here as advertised. 9 times out of 10 it only knocks them down.

in Thief

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I tried using it but its seems pretty buggy. A lot of the time it doesn’t actually pull even though there doesn’t appear to be anything in the way. It could still be used as short knockdown I guess.
If it did work it might be useful (though not a every situation kinda skill). When I read the description I had intended to use it for pulling enemies and keeping them off teammates, pulling enemies into traps and for preventing escapes but it’s not reliable at all and the cooldown imo feels a bit to long..

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

Tried it again last night – it simply doesn’t work… ‘obstructed’ being the biggest problem when there is no object in the way… and as others said, it still very often just knocks people over at 1200 range – awesome…. not.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

change SW to

shadow step your opponent to your place,

a reverse shadow step skill

i think it is cool

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Yeah the pathing of the skill is buggy, but this is not just this skill but other skills also that displaced your thief like Disabling Shot (SB) or Shadowstrike (P/D#3).

in Thief

Posted by: Kajiri.8215

Kajiri.8215

change SW to

shadow step your opponent to your place,

a reverse shadow step skill

i think it is cool

The problem being – it would then have all the same bugs as shadowstep, which means it wouldn’t change at all…

in Thief

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

It’s nice in PvP for that situation where a Ranger or a Necro or some other chicken is trying to snipe you from the top of a wall. Scorpion Wire solves that problem real quick, and provides them with a nasty shock when they’re suddenly nose-to-nose with you.

However, Thieves Guild includes a Scorpion Wire as part of the package, as well as a Thief with Unload. So while Scorp Wire is fun, other utilities just seem to have more to offer.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

scorpion wire is not a useful utility always have running. however if your good player like some people they will flip to it when they need it such as pulling people off a wall in World vs World where your protected by your allies making that utility fine because your not likely to need a stun break. another good place is have it running when your at a stand still between 2 zerg because a thief should always be trying to find opening well he searching for that opening he can be pulling people who over extend.

over all scorpion wire is a game changing skill if used right

in Thief

Gwalchgwn.1659

imo as a knockdown it is not very good either since it has a cast time and roots you for the full animation of the skill…

The cast time and the reaction time is enough to interrupt a healing skill. Ofc you could just use headshot on a /P set but there are moments you prefer this.

Ring of Fire