Is Thief the class for me?

in Thief

Posted by: XZERO.3014

XZERO.3014

Hey Thief community, i’ve spent the last 5 hours playing thief, and so far in SPvP its awesome!

My current main is a Necro(only lvl 32), and i’ve just lost touch with him, mainly because guildies are saying i should be using staff, and its damage makes me want to chop my arm off and huck it out the window.

let me get back on topic. I’m part of a massive PvP guild, which has squads and each squad has a captain, when assigned to your squad(at lvl 80) those are the people you will be doing stuff with in WvW and PvE, currently our guild is short on thieves, and an opportunity for me to make one my main has come up.

I want to run a Burst build, but i also enjoy survival, in SPvP i run a axe/focus Dagger/Dagger spec on my necro, and im almost impossible to kill due to all the siphoning i do, i also hit for around 8k burst damage in SPvP. If i can find a thief build similar to my necro build, or any build that will provide better results then staff(makes me cringe everytime i see the sad damage i shouldn’t be doing) i will most likely re-roll thief.

Is thief the class for me?

(edited by XZERO.3014)

in Thief

Posted by: Zerowolf.2097

Zerowolf.2097

If your focus is PVP then, yes, thief is the class for you. For a burst build you can run D/anything and Shortbow (SB on the forums). D/D, D/P, D/whatever will give you great burst while SB will give you mobility and AOE. You can go full GC if you want, but while you are learning the class some survivability is nice. Get zerker trinks at 80 and mix knight and valkyrie armor. There are about 8,000 builds posted in this forum so I won’t post another here. You can also definitely PVE on your thief, just don’t expect to pug a lot of high level fractals or CoF speed runs on a thief. Not because you can’t do it (hate shield) but because of poor thief rep and held over hatred from everyone who has ever had their zerg smashed by a solo thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

if you run most of the times with your guild i suggest guardian
thief is more for solo players
the utility you provide is poor compared to other classes , and in high lvl sPvP or wvwvw you might not be able to finish the oponent you get downed.
As well 8 k damage every few seconds in mas pvp will be poor compared to constant 1000 – 4000x 5 targets

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

no
Message Body length must at least be 15.

in Thief

Posted by: Noctis Assassin.4035

Noctis Assassin.4035

Only if you want to be awesome :p

in Thief

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

I think the real question should be, “Is that guild for you?”

They sound like a really fun group to play with…Not Really

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in Thief

Posted by: XZERO.3014

XZERO.3014

LOL my guilds awesome, thanks for the chuckle trolls.

funny how after school hours i get the random immature comments on my thread.

Before you troll ask yourself, are you mad because your parents never put your picture on the fridge?

in Thief

Posted by: Kazuhiro.5809

Kazuhiro.5809

Before you troll ask yourself, are you mad because your parents never put your picture on the fridge?

This fellow seems like a perfectly reasonable individual who we should definitely be giving advice to.

in Thief

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

This fellow seems like a perfectly reasonable individual who we should definitely be giving advice to.

Nah, he sounds like the perfect candidate to be a thief. He will feel right at home here.

Stuff goes here.

in Thief

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Honestly you need to take it out i the world and get a feel for it. Thief is not the greatest dungeon class or support but its has moment where your party will be glad they brought you if you do it right. In WvW might as well call it our playground. Spv kitten pvp you are one of many.

The thing thief has going for it is it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. Imho its one of the more complex classes if you build it to be (engi takes the cake here). It has some of the most versatile builds of any class.

I would take Zerowolf’s advice go D/ anything and see what you like.

Now the real question is if what you like your guild will to? Maladon might have been trolling a bit but the point is legit.

Also note with Dagger http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wild_Strike has an endurance gain of 10 due to how quick the chain is this can help full zerk by allowing extra dodges.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Here, I’ll link a few builds here to help you with your needs:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsaVlcmaOHfS6E95Ex2jdKUeypooG1TBYJLA

This is a build that I run fairly often. It’ll give you a fair amount of survivability while also giving you some pretty sweet bursting. It’s also fairly flexible (for the 20 in Trickery, if you really want to be versatile, you can switch out either of the major traits for “Trickster”. Before you go into battle, anticipate what you’re going to need on your utility bar, and with this trait it makes things a heck of a lot easier for you to use those utilities. However, note that this is better suited for WvW and not PvP). Basically, you’re going to Infiltrator’s Strike + Pistol Whip as much as possible to stun opponents and lay heavy damage on them. The issue here is that you’re going to find that this build is somewhat lacking in the excitement aspect that you often find with thieves. It also doesn’t burst quite as well as D/whatever (but has far better survivability). However, it is a fairly trustworthy and reliable build, that aside.

Other utilities that you can have with this build are Shadow Refuge, any of the Signets, Haste/Scorpion Wire (best if you take Trickery, however), Ambush, and, of course, Hide in Shadows.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoYVlUmaPHfS6E95Ey2jdqCJKuHFFS1UdFwKA

This is going to be your more typical Backstab build. This particular one focuses more on the survivability aspect of the build, while ditching other options for more damage. The one main problem that this build has is that it has virtually no init regeneration, so you might want to factor that in before you play this build. IMHO, init is the lifeblood of the thief. However, for this build, it might be acceptable not to have any (or much), due to the fact that you’ll be Backstabbing a lot. A lot. Like, a lot a lot.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlcmaOHfS6E95EBniiaUPFfFsdPuqV1KA

Finally, I’ve thrown in this one because it might help you transition from a necro to a thief more easily. It’s the build that I use currently. It focuses on mitigation, tactical shots, and survivability. In exchange, this build is going to be a lot more passive aggressive, meaning that you might not get the same bursting that you get from more typical thieves. That being said, it still has nice access to a lot of the same stuff that you might get from the other thief builds, as well. You still have access to Backstab, for instance (which is made more accessible if you use Hide in the Shadows instead of Signet of Malice, which is a great option for you to choose). It gives you access to mountains of Heartseekers with its faster initiative regeneration and Shadow Shot. It gives you plenty of interrupts and blinds. It also will keep you alive a lot longer than, say, a D/D Backstab build, due to the fact that you’re getting more dodges and initiative regen (which is particularly useful for things like Infiltrator’s Arrow, which you might find yourself using often). The only real downside that I see to this particular build is its lack of high damage output. It’s really great for stomping players, but when they’re still up, it’s often going to be more preferable to use a SB and weaken them until they reach less than 50% health or so, which then gives you high damage output through spamming Heartseeker. However, due to its nature, PvP makes a great battleground for a build like this because you can access gear that allows you to increase damage output for free (Berserker’s Amulet, especially). So if you’re looking for a really survivable build for regular PvP that has great sustainable damage, this would be my suggestion.

Good luck!

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter