Is anyone else annoyed by the kneejerk nerf our "Descent of shadows" trait got?

in Thief

Posted by: TheBob.9863

TheBob.9863

It is obvious that they nerfed this because if we took a lot of fall damage in a short amount of time we could stack A LOT of stealth time so instead of them nerfing the ability to stack stealth time from the trait they put a cooldown on the ENTIRE trait. Anyone else frustrated by this?

in Thief

TheBob.9863

I would like to add that no other class has any cooldown on their “take 50% less fall damage” trait which I think is proof that what they intended to nerf was our stealth from it not the fall damage reduction.

in Thief

Posted by: RiskRagger.7540

RiskRagger.7540

doesn’t affect the builds im using. but good observation!

in Thief

TheBob.9863

doesn’t affect the builds im using. but good observation!

Indeed it isn’t a very popular trait but that doesn’t change the fact that ArenaNet reacted in a very silly manner to the semi-“exploit” people were doing with the stealth part of the trait, instead of taking the time to fix the stealth aspect they just kneejerk the entire trait, pretty ridiculous, I hope this isn’t a way they’ll act in the future and put more thought into their nerfs/changes in regards to more popular traits.

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

The stealth stacking was just a symptom of a larger problem, but they decided to band-aid the symptom instead of attacking the issue, which is that you can take several sets of fall damage from a single fall in the first place.

in Thief

TheBob.9863

The stealth stacking was just a symptom of a larger problem, but they decided to band-aid the symptom instead of attacking the issue, which is that you can take several sets of fall damage from a single fall in the first place.

Yes, which in turn made our stealth stack up to ridiculous numbers, this could’ve easily been fixed by adding a cooldown on the STEALTH part of the trait instead of kneejerk nerfing the entire trait. Pretty ridiculous reaction from ANet crew.

in Thief

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

actually, stealth can only be stacked to 10 secs, I don’t know why this was nerfed lol

in Thief

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

I think the thief forums are in pre-emtpive crying mode.

We know we can stack up a bit too much damage, we know some slight nerfs will be coming, so our subconscious guides us to cry about every tiny slight coming our way in the hopes it will somehow lessen the impact of future balance changes.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

in Thief

TheBob.9863

Shredicus and LiuliRenai you people are ridiculous whiners that have no intention of responding to this post instead came here to whine about thief’s burst or PvP overpoweredness. Please just get lost or make your own whine threads in regards to that aspect, this isn’t about PvP or burst.

in Thief

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

I though only blinding powred is on 8 sec cooldown, not fall damage reduction. I will check this soon.

@edit
I believe this source is correct, so no need to test by myself:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Talk:Descent_of_Shadows

Signed, level 1 alt

(edited by Dagins.5163)

in Thief

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I think the thread is a bit more scathing than it needs to be, but I do agree. Even with just the stealth on cooldown, that still means you burn up half your stealth sliding down the hill. I never go anywhere in WvW without this trait, and I love it to death. (The only use I’ve found outside WvW is for jumping puzzle oopses)

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Thief

Posted by: Asierid.5906

Asierid.5906

Do plan on throwing yourself off of steep inclines every 8 seconds?

It’s a useless trait. Fixing the exploit does nothing to hinder anyone who isn’t already hindered by using this skill. We can quit whining about it now.

in Thief

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Hehe waste of nerf imo xD ohh sure you could get 12 sec stealth.. But woaw:b you need to take falling dmg xD

in Thief

Posted by: Humorless.1573

Humorless.1573

Why the kitten would you want to stack a stealth timer while taking falling damage.

I run this trait 100% of the time in WvW and it’s completely fine as it is. Lol @ thread creator calling OTHER PEOPLE whiners.

in Thief

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

the damage reduction from the trait is NOT on an 8s cooldown, just the stealth.

I think they should fix taking falling damage multiple times in a row down some hills rather than bandaid fix.. but hey.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Thief

Dagins.5163

Sliding down a sheer hill isn’t that healthy, so taking multiple damage portions probably isn’t a bug.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

Damage is still 50% less with no cooldown, and a life saver, and the Stealth is on cooldown now. Pretty decent change which prevents the Stealth abuse. Lock thread please.

in Thief

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

Shredicus and LiuliRenai you people are ridiculous whiners that have no intention of responding to this post instead came here to whine about thief’s burst or PvP overpoweredness. Please just get lost or make your own whine threads in regards to that aspect, this isn’t about PvP or burst.

You are hilarious. I play a thief, it’s my class. Acknlowledging that my class is quite strong and might end up with some tweaks in the future <> whining. You should adapt that attitude, things wouldn’t seem so dire when changes will come, then. If changes miraculously won’t come? I won’t care, I’m a thief.

Do notice how my previous post very intentionally used words like ‘a bit’ and ‘slight’.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

in Thief

bwillb.2165

Sliding down a sheer hill isn’t that healthy, so taking multiple damage portions probably isn’t a bug.

I’m fairly certain it is a bug, You should take one large fall damage instead of several small ones right after each other. Some of the falls are only for like 50 damage because they’re so short, even though you just fell off the empire state building.

in Thief

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

i use that trait and noticed it too. at first i thought it was my imagination, but after reading this thread… im sure.

this is what a non-serious second rate game would do.
i expect better “fixes” from anet.
fix it soon. im using that trait.

in Thief

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

I would like to add that no other class has any cooldown on their “take 50% less fall damage” trait which I think is proof that what they intended to nerf was our stealth from it not the fall damage reduction.

because those traits are fluff. the thief one gave a decidedly tactical advantage

NOBODY takes their similiar traits in the other classes.

in Thief

bwillb.2165

because those traits are fluff. the thief one gave a decidedly tactical advantage

NOBODY takes their similiar traits in the other classes.

The warrior one does damage to anything you land on…

in Thief

Posted by: Rorixius.2348

Rorixius.2348

I`m aware of 1 other classe that have CD on fall damage skill.
Chaos Storm on mesmer is on 20-30 sec CD.

in Thief

Dagins.5163

To be honest, if you play without exploiting this trait, you won’t feel any difference. It’s still useful, for example: if you see somebody comming to destroy trebuchet in Battle for Kyhlo, simly jump at them and backstab or whatever. You won’t suffer any serious injuries, but free stealth attack + blind may be devastating.

Signed, level 1 alt

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

I’m trying to figure out of the posters complaining about the nerf in this thread built their entire character around this, or if they’re just looking for something to complain about.

Useless trait, the change isn’t game breaking, how often are you jumping off cliffs and REQUIRING that stealth buff anyways. =P

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I’m trying to figure out of the posters complaining about the nerf in this thread built their entire character around this, or if they’re just looking for something to complain about.

Useless trait, the change isn’t game breaking, how often are you jumping off cliffs and REQUIRING that stealth buff anyways. =P

Its simple:

If they built their characters around it, they were abusing the stealth aspect. If they didn’t, they’re complaining for no reason other than complaining.

There’s hardly ever a case where you can take falling damage while ambushing someone as an offensive tactic (I’ve never seen one but I’m sure people will find one and it will be nerfed). There are definitely areas you can take falling damage and use the trait to survive…but when you do, you’d better not be fighting anyone anyway.

in Thief

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Honestly, I can think of a few times that sliding down a moderate cliff for a bit of damage and a stealth entrance could have been useful in WvW. Making a small squad who all have the one ‘reduced falling damage’ trait for their class (No elementalists alowed!) could allow for some ambushes that otherwise wouldn’t be feasible.

For example, a lot of the cliffs around WvW roads won’t kill you, but some will knock you down on arrival. (Anything around 3/4ths health I think) But with this trait, you’d be taking less than half your life and arriving stealthed. Really 8 seconds is about long enough, in my opinion.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

(edited by Softspoken.2410)

in Thief

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Honestly, I can think of a few times that sliding down a moderate cliff for a bit of damage and a stealth entrance could have been useful in WvW. Making a small squad who all have the one ‘reduced falling damage’ trait for their class (No elementalists alowed!) could allow for some ambushes that otherwise wouldn’t be feasible.

For example, a lot of the cliffs around WvW roads won’t kill you, but some will knock you down on arrival. (Anything around 3/4ths health I think) But with this trait, you’d be taking less than half your life and arriving stealthed. Really 8 seconds is about long enough, in my opinion.

Oh don’t get me wrong the reduced damage has it’s use I think it’s a good trait in and of itself for just the thing you outlined. As well as the 8 seconds being plenty of time

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast