Is dagger/dagger bad for pvp

in Thief

Posted by: Paladin gecko.5697

Paladin gecko.5697

Q:

So i was entering team que with my buddy and he says “since when do i play thief” so he runs over to my character looks at my weapons and says WHY THE HELL DO U HAVE 2 DAGGERS ur so bad. So we got in this huge argument and my statement was that dagger/dagger is the same as dagger pistol in most fights. I mean u stealth nuke and finish them. His arguments were that pistol give more dps and is ranged(who needs range when ur going to be melee anyway). How i see it is that dagger pistol (great for pve dont get me wrong, i mean dat perma blind) is basically a ranged stealth and dagger dagger is a cheaper melee stealth. So does it really so bad that i use dagger dagger???

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

No. The guy is stupid. Ignore him.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Wouldn’t say CnD is a cheaper stealth, unless you mean initiative, otherwise it’s more risky

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

They each have their positives and negatives, but I’m of the opinion that you’ll find D/P more generally useful (assuming your investing heavily in SA)
D/P’s dual skill is infinitely better than D/D’s in a direct damage setup. Black powder and headshot are pretty amazing skills, and while BP→HS is a more expensive way to enter stealth, it’s also target independent – the only way to prevent it is to somehow interrupt you before your HS completes.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

D/D provides more burst but its heavily reliant on cds. you utterly wreck someone every 60 seconds or so, and inbetween your a pretty mediocre dpser.

D/P has less burst, requires preparation, provides better survivality and takes more skill in general to play. but it isnt reliant on cds so you can be a threat at any time.

other than that, your friend is a total imbecile and knows nothing of thief

(edited by Konrad Curze.5130)

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

D/P is so much better than D/D. Death Blossom is a total waste on your bar compared to Shadow strike which is a free blind+ gap closer which can be used to Backstab someone running away very easily. Not to mention Pistol 4 can be used to interrupt heals and enemy rezs. Blind field also allows you to keep up with heavy melee classes in close combat.

D/P blows D/D completely out of the water in every aspect if you are running a power based build. Don’t let D/D fanboys convince you it’s anywhere near as good as D/P.

Ranger//Necro

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

D/D is stronger but require support to play right.

D/P is weaker but require no support to play right.

that simply do to trait roots. overall D/P is stronger simply because it require them to be foolish to lose with it. well D/D can lose simply because you cant stay in cloak.

in Thief

Posted by: Void.4239

Void.4239

that simply do to trait roots. overall D/P is stronger simply because it require them to be foolish to lose with it. well D/D can lose simply because you cant stay in cloak.

Why you think stealth is thiefs only way of doing anything ????

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/PVP-D-D-dodger-build-updated-14-09-2013

evades are the way to go in spvp , ( stealth doesnt allow to hold/ take points in spvp )

in Thief

Posted by: Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

D/P is so much better than D/D. Death Blossom is a total waste on your bar compared to Shadow strike which is a free blind+ gap closer which can be used to Backstab someone running away very easily. Not to mention Pistol 4 can be used to interrupt heals and enemy rezs. Blind field also allows you to keep up with heavy melee classes in close combat.

D/P blows D/D completely out of the water in every aspect if you are running a power based build. Don’t let D/D fanboys convince you it’s anywhere near as good as D/P.

looks like someone got rolled hard by a D/D thief.

it all depends on how you use your thief, the skill per se wether is is DP or DD, which play style you are comfortable at.

Thief DD : DP : PD : SB
Elementalist S : DD
Blackgate

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

it all depends on how you use your thief, the skill per se wether is is DP or DD, which play style you are comfortable at.

How do you even get the assumption he got “rolled hard” by a D/D thief? Everything he said is pretty much true. D/P just has so much more utility over D/D. D/D No.3 skill is a bleed skill on a burst set and Crippling Dagger is just rubbish. D/P you get Shadow Shot and Headshot (one of the best skills evar).

in Thief

infantrydiv.1620

Lol. It’s extremely easy to beat a D/D thief over and over again on a D/P due to the fact that they usually miss their CnD because of the blinds from D/P #3,5 and the fact that D/P an extra gap closer that is going to hit anywhere from 3-4K on another glass thief. You don’t see good thieves playing D/D. You see noobs hoping the set will work for them because they like the look of double daggers. Also, even if they do land a CnD you can just stand in Black Powder and they will usually miss their backstab over and over.

D/P= better mobility, utility, dps, and has more stealth on demand. If you can actually come up with an argument instead of just shouting that I must have been ‘rolled hard’, I’d like to hear it.

Ranger//Necro

in Thief

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

D/P provide an safe newbie play style , since you are not punished when you make mistakes, and that make it an better set for 1 vs 1 (thief vs thief or thief vs warrior)
D/D got 2 nearly useless skills 3 and 4 , however CnD is an cheap initiative alternative to stealth, against some classes (necromancer /rangers /mesmers -as an special mention since they got clones /pets that won’t dodge /avoid your cnd )
if you are going to play D/D against D/P you might have an hard time , however if you are familiar with D/P, you can counter and avoid his burst ( keep in mind that BP + hs will spend more then half of his initiative pool, and he can take damage in his BP by DB and ranged skills ( bow / pp -as an secondary set).
For small groups fights , D/D is better ( easy acces to stealth , light initiative cost, also DB works great with signet of malice)

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in Thief

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

Lol. It’s extremely easy to beat a D/D thief over and over again on a D/P due to the fact that they usually miss their CnD because of the blinds from D/P #3,5 and the fact that D/P an extra gap closer that is going to hit anywhere from 3-4K on another glass thief. You don’t see good thieves playing D/D. You see noobs hoping the set will work for them because they like the look of double daggers. Also, even if they do land a CnD you can just stand in Black Powder and they will usually miss their backstab over and over.

D/P= better mobility, utility, dps, and has more stealth on demand. If you can actually come up with an argument instead of just shouting that I must have been ‘rolled hard’, I’d like to hear it.

i do agree with you having a lot of D/P has a lot of utility and survivability but it doesn’t mean that set is superior, like i said it all comes down to the skill of the player using it.

seems you have been fighting a lot of lost pugs as of late, you should roam more, you might find some worthy adversary.

Blackgate

(edited by Zeke Azul Falcon.5176)

in Thief

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

D/P provide an safe newbie play style , since you are not punished when you make mistakes, and that make it an better set for 1 vs 1 (thief vs thief or thief vs warrior)
D/D got 2 nearly useless skills 3 and 4 , however CnD is an cheap initiative alternative to stealth, against some classes (necromancer /rangers /mesmers -as an special mention since they got clones /pets that won’t dodge /avoid your cnd )
if you are going to play D/D against D/P you might have an hard time , however if you are familiar with D/P, you can counter and avoid his burst ( keep in mind that BP + hs will spend more then half of his initiative pool, and he can take damage in his BP by DB and ranged skills ( bow / pp -as an secondary set).
For small groups fights , D/D is better ( easy acces to stealth , light initiative cost, also DB works great with signet of malice)

yes i agree with all you said. it all boils down to the skills of the user.

Blackgate

(edited by Zeke Azul Falcon.5176)

in Thief

infantrydiv.1620

i agree with you having a lot of D/P has a lot of utility and survivability but it doesn’t mean that set is superior, like i said it all comes down to the skill of the player using it.

No. Two equally skilled players, one playing D/D, one playing D/P… D/P will win 90% of the time. And the 10% loss will only come from very lucky CnDs. I dont think you understand: two of D/Ds skills are near useless in a power build and all 5 of D/Ps are very useful. It’s like trying to say a build which voluntarily doesn’t take two utilities can be better than the same build with 3 utilities.

There is a reason no good thieves run D/D. It’s a broken weapon set. Same with P/P. You can like it, you can play with it, just don’t presume to think it’s anywhere near as good as D/P. Both P/P and D/D are incredibly weak weapon sets. Quite possibly nearly the weakest in the game.

Ranger//Necro

in Thief

Zeke Azul Falcon.5176

i agree with you having a lot of D/P has a lot of utility and survivability but it doesn’t mean that set is superior, like i said it all comes down to the skill of the player using it.

No. Two equally skilled players, one playing D/D, one playing D/P… D/P will win 90% of the time. And the 10% loss will only come from very lucky CnDs. I dont think you understand: two of D/Ds skills are near useless in a power build and all 5 of D/Ps are very useful. It’s like trying to say a build which voluntarily doesn’t take two utilities can be better than the same build with 3 utilities.

There is a reason no good thieves run D/D. It’s a broken weapon set. Same with P/P. You can like it, you can play with it, just don’t presume to think it’s anywhere near as good as D/P. Both P/P and D/D are incredibly weak weapon sets. Quite possibly nearly the weakest in the game.

you really think a skilled DD player will just use CnD without timing it, yeah 2 utilities are quite useless on DD but it doesn’kittens broken.

i wont discuss with a close minded guy, like i said you need to roam more.

Blackgate

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

In SPvP, there’s no power difference between D/P and D/D, due to the 33% less damage on CnD – in fact, D/P hits harder on targets under 50% with your typical “burst” rotation (BV->CnD->steal->BS compared to BP->BV->HS->Steal->BS). The only real difference in SPvP is the cost to enter stealth using weaponskills – 6 (traited 4) for D/D, and 9 (traited 7) for D/P. D/D requires a target that you must hit (hard against skilled players, easy on petting zoo), and D/P can be completely target-less (with the added bonus of being able to stack extreme lengths of stealth if you are able /skilled enough to land multiple HS’s through your BP).

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

you really think a skilled DD player will just use CnD without timing it, yeah 2 utilities are quite useless on DD but it doesn’kittens broken.

i wont discuss with a close minded guy, like i said you need to roam more.

It’s really hard not to see how D/P should be owning D/D in this particular situation- it’s called Black Powder, and it shuts down D/D hard. Unless there’s an extreme skill or Gear (WvW only) difference, D/P has all the advantages in this fight. Utilities might come into play, but assuming neither side has made absolutely silly Utility choices, There’s nothing D/D does better than D/P in this situation.