Is thief anything like the TF2 spy?

in Thief

Posted by: FalconPunch.8076

FalconPunch.8076

I’m just getting into this game and can’t decide between thief, mesmer and engineer.

So far the only class I’ve tried in pvp is the Engineer and I was a bit disappointed that the most effective way to contribute in WvW was spamming grenades. I am still attached to the ideas behind the thief concept: the adrenaline pumper who operates in high-risk areas, gets quick kills and books it. Is how the thief plays? How do they stack up 1 v 1? I watched some videos of Guardians fighting Warriors and was blown away by how dynamic the duelling was compared to WoW. Is the thief similarly engaging or are they sort of a one-trick pony?

I’ve played a lot of TF2 spy – I enjoy the hit-and-run style. Not to self-aggrandize, but I am not your typically useless spy and can carry teams. However my game comes from knowledge of the maps, player psychology, positioning and etc rather than superb ambassador aim/trick stab coordination.

Do you think thief is right for me? Thanks for the input.

in Thief

Posted by: Iron Wolf.5973

Iron Wolf.5973

Backstab thief builds (the one people complain about being OP if Im thinkin right) are pretty much the closest youll get to TF2 spy if you want to compare. Stealth backstab for high dmg, and then spam skills to finish up.

Its a glass cannon. The difference though is that in this game, stealth is a more limited resource. In TF2, depending on equipment, you could stay stealthed. This is more of hit stealth before a kill, or to save your kitten

But there are other builds to consider too. So keep those in mind as well.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

It does sound like the Thief is right for you. Go ahead, roll one, head to sPvP, and start messing around with builds you find on the forums. If you don’t like it, consider creating your own build. If you still don’t like it, it may not be.

Good luck, and just remember to have fun.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Im like you, I love spies, I love being spies, usually a spy sniper but the only spy like class is the thief, and possibly rifle warrior with the koda skins not including helm or shoulders. I was maining as a ranger but they suck atm which sucks because I love archers, sadly anet cant do archers properly. So Ill probably lvl thief and or rifle warrior. I say play thief tho, fun, takes skill to position, and you get to LOL at the flaming.

in Thief

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

Not really. The Thief is much more direct, often stealthing right in front of targets, and evading attacks rather than the misdirection, and “never being seen” part of the TF2 spy.

Still, the thief is the closest you’ll find in this game.

in Thief

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

Depends. Using the TF2 cloak which stealths you after taking a single hit, and showing the enemy that you just died, is more Mesmer than Thief.

But yes, hiding and then attacking from behind is the Thief. Hit and run … depends on your build.