Is this a good PvE build?

in Thief

Posted by: Nesoroth.3026

Nesoroth.3026

Q:

Hi, I am new to Guild Wars 2 and was looking for a decent build for my low-level thief and came upon this: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mckzzc9cMMwhMMMwhmxx9MamRbzaqV I’d like to find out from anyone who is willing to help me. Is it a good build for PvE, also if you do not think it is a good build could you please suggest one that is.

in Thief

Posted by: Gungnir Grimm.7123

Gungnir Grimm.7123

that is a glass canon build, and not the best one ever. since you are new to guild wars 2 I would recommend sword/pistol or dagger/dagger for conditions with death blossom

for sword pistol. use black powder to blind melee enemies and pistol whip/auto attack to finish them off, and use infiltrators strike or shortbow for ranged enemies. here is a good starting point to build towards. put priority on critical strikes and acrobatics while leveling to slowly move into this build.
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mckmMc9coFLCMoFLCMax0GaoozqMaV

for dagger/dagger condition damage a good starting point is
http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mckzzMz9MoFnrMoFLCM9MxGGVmqMaVk

priorities being shadow arts and trickery. you jump in, drop caltrops once you have them, and death blossom till you are out of initiative. then you dodge away and kite the enemies until they are dead or your initiative recharges. on single strong enemies you switch to pistol/dagger and go in and out of stealth with cloak and dagger to stack bleeds with sneak attack while healing yourself in stealth. the build makes stealth a good source of healing, and turns shadow refuge into a second heal skill, so it has high survivability.

Gungnir Grimm – 80 Thief
Gungnir Aurus – 80 Guardian
[AUX] Isle of Janthir

(edited by Gungnir Grimm.7123)

in Thief

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I agree with Gungnir, S/P and D/D Condition are both good to level. Pistol Whip and Deathblossom both have Evasion built in which will mitigate a lot of incoming damage.

For S/P I’d build slightly different with a 0/30/0/25/15 build. Important traits are Opportunist and Feline Grace while leveling. Executioner is quite nice once you hit 60. Pistol Whip as your main attack is a frontal AoE with Evasion, Signet of Malice will refill your health quite nicely. Use stealth utilities to get out of tough situations. I usually use Black Powder as a last resort here as your Pistol Whip gives you damage and evasion for the initiative cost, allows you to move through kills faster. Heal on Crit food is nice here.

For D/D Condition I prefer a 0/20/0/20/30 build. At 80 this is great to keep the initiative rolling for more Deathblossom bleeds (DPS!) and dodge/caltrops using Signet of Malice ever 12 seconds for 6 initiative and Vigor. Only thing this lacks is dependable condition removal which can be brought in with utilities. Key leveling traits will be Preparedness, Uncatchable and Feline Grace. Throw in your Deathblossoms and dodge away, kite um until you have initiative again for more DB. DB hits up to 4 targets if I recall correctly so round up a pack and take um all down, just don’t try to stand and melee them. Hide in Shadows is a good heal until you get Signet Use and Hastened Replenishment online. Condition Duration food is great, can really increase the DB bleed damage per application.

GL out there.
Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Thief

Posted by: Albane.8367

Albane.8367

For leveling up, you are better off gong with Condition gear and D/D, as stated above. You can easily handle 3+ mobs at a time and you will be able to solo those Veterans for Skill points and events. Get 10 points into Trickery for the Caltrops on dodge for an easy snare/bleed.