Issues with Area Stealth combos and other group stealthing not working

in Thief

Posted by: Rakanishu.2980

Rakanishu.2980

I recently got to 80 and respecialized my thief to a build that focuses on stealthing/healing my teammates and keeping them alive – an extremely handy build in dungeons. For my utility, I normally run with Smoke Screen / Blinding Powder / Shadow Refuge (except in WvW, I swap out smoke screen with shadow signet of course), and most of the time I’m running with shortbow unless we have a single mob to fight.

So a large focus of my build is providing 5s of regeneration any time I stealth someone. I’ve ran several dungeons with this build now, and the problem I’m running into is that stealthing teammates is very unpredictable. Shadow Refuge seems to work just about every time as far as I can tell. However, blinding powder doesn’t always stealth people right next to me, and combining Smoke Screen + Cluster Bomb hardly ever works at all, even on myself.

The problem is not coming from the fact that players cannot restealth a few seconds after coming out of stealth, I always leave enough time in between stealths. The problem is not distance, I do this right next to people. I know the combo is working, because the “Area Stealth” message pops up. I know it’s not just a visual problem, because we don’t get the regeneration boon either. They just do not seem to work all of the time, and I can’t find a pattern as to why. Sometimes one person will stealth, but another won’t. Has any one else run into this? Am I just crazy?

(edited by Rakanishu.2980)

in Thief

Posted by: Spifnar.4712

Spifnar.4712

Blast combos have a very tight area of effect. It’s a problem with many combo-buffs. I think the area of the field is the limit, but I’m not sure.

With a ranged blast and a ranged field, there may be a chance for things to get out of sync?

in Thief

Rakanishu.2980

I thought that might have been the case too, with Smoke Screen at least, but when I test it out of combat (just around lion’s arch) it seems to affect an even wider field than my Cluster Bomb cursor

in Thief

Posted by: castillle.5248

castillle.5248

If your clusterbomb hits enemies, it will count as damage during stealth and give you the revealed buff. Fail I know.

in Thief

Rakanishu.2980

OHHHH that makes perfect sense now, thank you Castillle. The blinding powder issue was probably just me not noticing the person attacking immediately or something.