It's not the nerfs, ANet, it's how you do it

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

It’s just… silly design, if it can be called ‘design’ at all. Here is a small list off the top of my head, past and present:

Revealed duration 4 secs ended the ‘rhythm’ of stealth. Reverted the changes in wvw where stealth was a problem, kept the changes in pvp where it wasn’t a problem…

Shortbow #2 – Reduced range to 900, just enough so that thieves couldn’t fire off wvw walls anymore, despite still being able to be hit my many damaging enemy abilities

Sword #3 – The sole requirement for an unblockable ability is now blockable

Pistol #5 – Used most often for effectively securing stomps against most classes rather than the ranged blind, now fails due to 2 sec blind pulse

Assassin’s Equilibrium – A GM stealth trait in the Acrobatics line. The fix? Increase the duration…

Post your favourite silly design decisions below.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

dagger #4, no one complains? lets halve the damage. also, lets halve the cripple duration. and as a pity treat lets reduce the cost by 25%. Making it worthless for pretty much everything.

in Thief

Posted by: Gallant Pigeon.5807

Gallant Pigeon.5807

Shortbow #2 – The speed of the projectile is laughable. You can outrun it with swiftness.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Ooh, ooh! I get to do hard to catch? Wee!

Ok, let’s start with a question – what do you call it when an enemy hits you with an ability that changes your position. If you said “crowd control”, congratulations! Oh and also for some unknown reason hard to catch.

Ok, so let’s run down the problems with hard to catch –
- changes your position at the whim of another player (like a knockback or pull might)
- doesn’t break the stun
- fires even If you have stability (which you almost certainly got from someone else because a thiefs only access to it is fairly new and laughably bad)
- the position change is random and only 600 range

Someone at Anet thought this was worth a master tier trait. Then a whole bunch of people play tested it and approved it! They Also ignored a 20 pages feedback thread where 95% of the comments about this trait were begging for it to not be implemented in this manner.

So glad I got to do this one!

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

any underwater thief combat

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I think you forgot the class mechanic got fixed. Steal is now balanced.

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in Thief

Posted by: Tempest Darqmane.4862

Tempest Darqmane.4862

any underwater thief combat

Tow Line.

in Thief

Posted by: AyuReady.3952

AyuReady.3952

I love all of the kittened traits they try to incorporate like healing on critical damage in a damage trait tree. Or stability for one second after reveal? Why? Why not give us better blinds and evades that we can actually use and dont have to sacrifice points in damaging trait trees that we desperately need to make up for the lack of utility?

daed gaem daed

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

I love all of the kittened traits they try to incorporate like healing on critical damage in a damage trait tree.

Exactly! If you’re traiting in the crit line, you’re traiting for damage. That means, you’ll take Executioner. A measly 8% heal on crit? No, 20% more damage, please!

Even the 100% crit out of stealth trait (its name escapes me) would be better off in the power tree.

My favourite is Power Shots… The +5% shortbow damage in the toughness/healing stealth focused tree. Shortbow, one of the three weaponsets with no access to stealth. If I didn’t laugh, I’d cry.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Can’t balance pistol whip? Increase initiative to 7 in pvp…

Can’t balance s/d? More like can’t realize certain acro traits + fire/air sigils + the buffed zerker amulet is the cause.

Can’t balance IP or AE Gm traits? Give them mediocre buffs without considering any opportunity cost.

Can’t balance panic strike? Didn’t even realize it needed balancing, most 30/x/x/x/x thieves die from looking at them.

Can’t fix venoms? Buff 1 trait to function the way it should of from the start and pretend venoms are for condition builds.

Can’t fix steal? Incredibly underwhelming without traits, bugged beyond belief for months now. Fun stuff when your class mechanic is clunky.

Can’t balance underwater combat? What is underwater combat and how does one stealth underwater without hide in shadows or hidden thief?

End result: Disappointment, my builds really haven’t changed in months now. At least I can still play it though, but man has it fallen behind.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Can’t balance pistol whip? Increase initiative to 7 in pvp…

Can’t balance s/d? More like can’t realize certain acro traits + fire/air sigils + the buffed zerker amulet is the cause.

Can’t balance IP or AE Gm traits? Give them mediocre buffs without considering any opportunity cost.

Can’t balance panic strike? Didn’t even realize it needed balancing, most 30/x/x/x/x thieves die from looking at them.

Can’t fix venoms? Buff 1 trait to function the way it should of from the start and pretend venoms are for condition builds.

Can’t fix steal? Incredibly underwhelming without traits, bugged beyond belief for months now. Fun stuff when your class mechanic is clunky.

Can’t balance underwater combat? What is underwater combat and how does one stealth underwater without hide in shadows or hidden thief?

End result: Disappointment, my builds really haven’t changed in months now. At least I can still play it though, but man has it fallen behind.

The sad truth is that the thief was perfectly balanced before the last patch if compared to some other realy OP builds.
In a perfect world they shouldn’t touch the thief at all, instead they should focus on balancing weak and OP builds on other classes

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Death Blossom. I think my mortal mind just can’t comprehend how this would as an offensive skill work in any build because in every scenario I can think of, you’d just end up spamming 3 and be too low on initiative to do anything else.

As a defensive skill: it’s got the shortest evade out of any skill with an evade in the game

….that happens in the middle of the animation (start is for normal people)…

……with a horrid aftercast, making using it as an evade in any serious context signing your own death warrant.