Jump + Dodge

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: GreenRipper.6432

GreenRipper.6432

I dont have difficulty pressing two keys to accomplish this, but sometimes the movement seems to fail several times in a row, and it returns nothing to do. Could be the LAG?

PS: I tested it several times followed, and it seemed LAG because I leave them one beside the other keys.

Nightmare Clown – RUSH guild [Yak’s Bend]
www.twitch.tv/nightmare_clown

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Why are you trying to do this in the first place? Not being mean just wondering. If you are talking about those thieves that flip in their vids, that’s because they have dodging and jumping mapped to the same key I believe, to make dodging easier with some thief elements added for freshness

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Technically mapping them to the same key violates ToS. Regardless it’s super easy to do since v+space bar can be clicked in the same motion in one stroke.

Back to the OP it has never lagged outside of my net or failed to work properly for me.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

I regularly jump+dodge, just took some practice to get the timing right.
It’s quite similar to performing a Guard Break or Jump Power Attack in Dark Souls 2, although those are slightly harder.

It’s fully unaffected by lag.

Not quite sure, but all sorts of movement (movement keys, jump, dodge) seem to be treated separate from the abilities, like when you press a weapon or utility based ability your PC requests to use it to the game server, the server permits it and the spell gets fired off.

Movement on the other hand (movement keys, dodge and jump) the server uses some other sort of technique for, when someone experience a lag spike in a jumping puzzle people can for instance see how he/she runs and falls to their death, since running towards their death was the last action the server recorded from the players pc, but once the connection is re-established the server asks the players pc for position and movement and other details, and suddenly the player pops back up from where it fell.

(note: dodge itself doesn’t seem to have a cd, but the evade does, and lag spikes seem to split them allowing dodge to be spammed infinitely while your pc is trying to request to the server to evade 2 times).

This would also be why speedhacks, teleporthacks and flyhacks are possible to create for most online games, since pretty much all movement takes place in the players pc and gets reflected to the server.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Fun Fact: You can even jump dodge with a double tap evade, while a bit harder to do, you you do a regular double tap, but on the second tap is when you hit your jump button

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Technically mapping them to the same key violates ToS.

Technically the jump-dodge is one action (it has it’s own animation), binding one action to one key is ok.

Regardless it’s super easy to do since v+space bar can be clicked in the same motion in one stroke.

I prefer C for dodge, I have small hands and it’s easier to press C+space with the thumb while simultaneously walking or strafing.

It fails sometimes but I think that is more to due to me not pressing the keys perfectly.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

Technically the jump-dodge is one action (it has it’s own animation), binding one action to one key is ok.

Regardless it’s super easy to do since v+space bar can be clicked in the same motion in one stroke.

I prefer C for dodge, I have small hands and it’s easier to press C+space with the thumb while simultaneously walking or strafing.

It fails sometimes but I think that is more to due to me not pressing the keys perfectly.

Technically it’s 2, since you literally start the roll frame a fraction of a second before jumping and just because you created what appears to be one action, doesn’t mean it wasn’t both a dodge and a jump (2 separate actions occurring virtually simultaneously).

Violates ToS.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Technically it’s 2, since you literally start the roll frame a fraction of a second before jumping and just because you created what appears to be one action, doesn’t mean it wasn’t both a dodge and a jump (2 separate actions occurring virtually simultaneously).

Violates ToS.

Technically it is one action, it has a unique (set of) animations and specific properties, such as always jumping the the same distance in and out of combat. It is no accidental or glitched merging of two actions, it was specifically programmed to do what it does. It is one action.
It’s not about your actions, but in-game actions, double tapping to dodge doesn’t make it two actions, or just jumping sideways.

The action is ‘promoted’ as a pro-tip in the Super Adventure Box QA
Under Pro Tips it reads:
“Dodge Jump” for a little extra height and length by hitting evade (V) right after Jump (Space Bar). Practice rolling your thumb from the Space Bar to the V key in one smooth movement.

I wouldn’t know which one to press first, I just press C and space simultaneously with my thumb, I don’t know which one makes contact first. It doesn’t do much in combat, just feels more acrobatic then a regular jump.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

It’s definitely not a unique animation. It doesn’t seem to serve a real purpose either, unless you travel slightly further than a normal jump.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

It’s definitely not a unique animation.

No? Where else did you see it?

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Where else did I see it? Every single time I try it and get the timing slightly wrong.
It looks exactly like the regular dodge.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Tien.3865

Tien.3865

Where else did I see it? Every single time I try it and get the timing slightly wrong.

Are you an asura?

Borlis Pass solo roamer

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

Violates ToS.

Technically it is one action, it has a unique (set of) animations and specific properties, such as always jumping the the same distance in and out of combat. It is no accidental or glitched merging of two actions, it was specifically programmed to do what it does. It is one action.
It’s not about your actions, but in-game actions, double tapping to dodge doesn’t make it two actions, or just jumping sideways.

Under Pro Tips it reads:
“Dodge Jump” for a little extra height and length by hitting evade (V) right after Jump (Space Bar). Practice rolling your thumb from the Space Bar to the V key in one smooth movement.

I wouldn’t know which one to press first, I just press C and space simultaneously with my thumb, I don’t know which one makes contact first. It doesn’t do much in combat, just feels more acrobatic then a regular jump.

The fact that anet has even commented on it being a combination of keys and movements to accomplish this is evidence of it.

How about this, we compile a list of players admitting to doing it and we’ll send it to anet and see what happens =)

Can I add you to the list? At any point have you ever keybound it to one single key?

This is literally a direct violation of ToS. So regardless of whether or not you personally do it, are you telling people it’s ok to do this?

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

You’d probably have to suffer from a motoric discoordination to not be able to perform a dodge jump regulary.

Retired GW2 Player

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

Violates ToS.

Under Pro Tips it reads:

The fact that anet has even commented on it being a combination of keys and movements to accomplish this is evidence of it.

How about this, we compile a list of players admitting to doing it and we’ll send it to anet and see what happens =)

Can I add you to the list? At any point have you ever keybound it to one single key?

This is literally a direct violation of ToS. So regardless of whether or not you personally do it, are you telling people it’s ok to do this?

Wait up. After doing some research I found the following on a forum elsewhere:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/hi-end-keyboard-ban/first#post673121
“We do not terminate accounts based on the use of hardware, unless that also involves third-party programs that give an advantage to a player. A single one-to-one bind is fine. Binding 11 different skills to one press of a key isn’t so fine.”
Based on this response from actual Anet support, I believe it is more than safe enough to say that binding dodge roll to a single key is fine and will not result in a ban.

What part of that is confusing?

They literally say binding more than ‘one-to-one’ is not fine.

It’s been explained many times by devs that macros of this nature are a violation of ToS.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Jump-dodge looks nothing like a regular dodge and everyone can see that with their own eyes. I seriously hope we don’t have to upload video’s for this

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

What part of that is confusing?

It seems to be confusing to you. The next sentence makes clear that with one-to-one she is referring to skills.

A single one-to-one bind is fine. Binding 11 different skills to one press of a key isn’t so fine.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Jump-dodge looks nothing like a regular dodge and everyone can see that with their own eyes. I seriously hope we don’t have to upload video’s for this

Already done, man;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3kkb3Mb7uo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FagF1oKfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npXqSGeDlY0

The animation is exactly the same.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Already done, man;

I am sorry, but to my eyes even the Asura animations are different.
I have human and norn characters, the dodge is basically a roll at ground level for them, with the the dodge-jump they reach character height.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

As for 1-1 skill keybinding
dodge=1 skill
jump=1 skill

dodge-jump is a synergistic technique that can be used when both techniques are used within a very small window of time.

This does not make it an exclusive technique, but more so a promoted phenomenon of these 2 skills.

If the game supported the keybinding of this specific technique (dodge jumping), then you’d be able to keybind it in the game. Instead you literally have to download a third-party program and macro 2 skills to 1 key for a 1-2 keybind which is a literal and direct violation of the ToS.

To quote Ramon Donke, German Community Manager who specifically lays out the general criteria used when assessing case-by-case if something of this nature violates the ToS (This is a german to english translation since this was posted on the official German forums):

“You should always ask yourself the following three questions, if you want to affect your gameplay in Guild Wars 2 with third party programs:

Allows me this program an automatic advantage? Can I thus so longer, faster, more precise will play when someone of this program is not used?

Allows me this program to play the game for me, even if I do not sit at the computer?

Allows me the program access to illegally obtained rewards, or access to – under normal circumstances – inaccessible places?"

The bolded part is the relevant section.

Does binding dodge and jump to 1 key give you an edge over players who have to click both? Does it let you perform the skill more reliably? More precisely? Well since by binding the key you will perform it correctly 100% of the time, meaning everyone else who doesn’t use it must also perform it correctly 100% of the time for it to not give you an edge over other players who do not 1-X keybind via 3rd party programs.

https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Account-zu-unrecht-gebannt-od-Probleme-mit-Razor-Naga-Maus-1

[SoF]

(edited by Moderator)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Already done, man;

I have human and norn characters, the dodge is basically a roll at ground level for them, with the the dodge-jump they reach character height.

If you’re talking about how they rise off the ground, that isn’t an animation. They’re just doing the regular dodge roll while lifting into the air from the jump.
You clearly said that they had taken the effort to create a unique animation for it, which was your argument for why it was all intentional. But that isn’t the case.
It’s replacing the normal jump animation with that of the dodge, while maintaining the vertical movement from having jumped.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

haha all this discussion on whether dodge jumping has its own animation or not.

By jumping the character elevates on the Y-axis, while the characters 3D model enters a specific animation, combining it with dodge just makes the dodge animation override the jumping animation not creating a new animation.

Macroing dodge and jump on the same button is not permitted, this covers everything.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Emi.4152

Emi.4152

so its fine as long as we press 2 buttons to do it right…? it would a be shame if i had to stop bouncing my characters around!

Yak’s Bend – Hello Kitty and Friends (aFK)
Lv 80 Thief – Emi Smacks / Lv 80 Ele – Emi Casts / Lv 80 Necro – Emi Nox

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

so its fine as long as we press 2 buttons to do it right…? it would a be shame if i had to stop bouncing my characters around!

Perfectly fine to do it by pressing 2 buttons. It’s even encouraged by developers to do it.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Perfectly fine to do it by pressing 2 buttons. It’s even encouraged by developers to do it.

Developers had no idea about possibility to combine jump and dodge until players started doing it. It wasn’t intended, same as fiery exploit sword 3 and 4 in corners. They messed up there and trying to fix the outburst by supporting it as intended game mechanic. So saying “its encouraged by developers” is a bit funny.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Already done, man;

If you’re talking about how they rise off the ground, that isn’t an animation. They’re just doing the regular dodge roll while lifting into the air from the jump.

With a separate animation. Everything has predefined animations, the game doesn’t magically combine two animations into one.

You clearly said that they had taken the effort to create a unique animation for it, which was your argument for why it was all intentional. But that isn’t the case.

Oh, did you reverse-engineer the code of client and server to determine that that isn’t the case? Dodge-jump over a fence and see how you don’t get rubber-banded. If this was an animation glitch, the server would happily put you back against the fence as if you were lagging. It is intentional.

Developers had no idea about possibility to combine jump and dodge until players started doing it. It wasn’t intended, same as fiery exploit sword 3 and 4 in corners. They messed up there and trying to fix the outburst by supporting it as intended game mechanic. So saying “its encouraged by developers” is a bit funny.

It’s listed as a ‘pro-tip’ in an official Guildwars2.com publication, how is that not ‘encouraged by developers’?

(edited by frans.8092)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Already done, man;

With a separate animation. Everything has predefined animations, the game doesn’t magically combine two animations into one.

Oh, did you reverse-engineer the code of client and server to determine that that isn’t the case? Dodge-jump over a fence and see how you don’t get rubber-banded. If this was an animation glitch, the server would happily put you back against the fence as if you were lagging. It is intentional.

It’s listed as a ‘pro-tip’ in an official Guildwars2.com publication, how is that not ‘encouraged by developers’?

Well, not only do I have eyeballs, but I also work on games, so I think I have a better idea of how they function in general.
The animation does not lift them off the ground. Two animations are not being combined. It is not a unique animation just because it has vertical movement.
Like I said, the character jumps, starts moving vertically, then the jump animation is REPLACED by the dodge animation while you are still in the air.
Would you call it a unique animation if pressing jump part-way through a dodge launched you in the air while still rolling? They’d have to create a “unique animation” for every single frame of the dodge that you could press jump during.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Well, not only do I have eyeballs, but I also work on games, so I think I have a better idea of how they function in general.
The animation does not lift them off the ground. Two animations are not being combined. It is not a unique animation just because it has vertical movement.
Like I said, the character jumps, starts moving vertically, then the jump animation is REPLACED by the dodge animation while you are still in the air.
Would you call it a unique animation if pressing jump part-way through a dodge launched you in the air while still rolling? They’d have to create a “unique animation” for every single frame of the dodge that you could press jump during.

Good points, but both variations, jump-dodge as well as dodge-jump seem to have the same acrobatic animation; the character jumps then rolls in mid-air (it changes height during the roll btw).

(swap bindings of dodge and jump, this should swap the relative timing)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Allows me this program an automatic advantage? Can I thus so longer, faster, more precise will play when someone of this program is not used?

You should really not try to quote a machine-translated text, especially if the same material is covered in English.

It’s also really not about what is in the ToS, but if it applies to binding dodge-jump to a single key. So, the questions are
1) is it a single action or not
2) does it give an advantage (over someone not using the program)

@1) we’ve been discussing this, well to be precise, you haven’t, but other people have.
@2) does it actually give an advantage, in combat, against a player? I don’t see it, you don’t dodge any further or longer and using endurance for jumping around while not being able to steer seems more of a waste then a boon.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: SMDonnie.5672

SMDonnie.5672

By jumping the character elevates on the Y-axis, while the characters 3D model enters a specific animation, combining it with dodge just makes the dodge animation override the jumping animation not creating a new animation.

Macroing dodge and jump on the same button is not permitted, this covers everything.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first

Wouldn’t it be the Z axis, being height/depth, in 3D?

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

You should really not try to quote a machine-translated text, especially if the same material is covered in English.

It’s also really not about what is in the ToS, but if it applies to binding dodge-jump to a single key. So, the questions are

@1) we’ve been discussing this, well to be precise, you haven’t, but other people have.
@2) does it actually give an advantage, in combat, against a player? I don’t see it, you don’t dodge any further or longer and using endurance for jumping around while not being able to steer seems more of a waste then a boon.

except you’re the only one who is suggesting it’s not a violation of the ToS.

Oh, except one person who literally said it was not a violation of tos and his post was deleted (and he was likely infracted for it).

What’s wrong with quoting an english translation of what the german lead said? I even quoted the direct link to his post. Where does that violate any ToS (where actually if you were familiar with ToS posting in any other language besides english is an infraction). Does it offend you that I posted the first relevant, direct information from the german lead? Have I violated your sense of evidentiary procedure? Where are these made up rules that you follow?

Bottom line is that you’re the only person who has not had their post deleted who even remotely interprets the ToS in that way.

So, for the third time, my very basic and simple question to you (which you have avoided answering directly):

Are you telling people it’s ok to key bind dodge-jumping to 1 key?

Oh and as for your ignorance about the mechanics, it does give an in-combat advantage and the dodge-jump in combat takes you noticeably further. This has been covered in dozens of guides and is pretty much wide-spread common knowledge.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Grimwolf.7163

Wouldn’t it be the Z axis, being height/depth, in 3D?

Some engines use Z as up, some use Y as up. Y is actually more common.
It depends on whether you perceive the screen to be the axis surface, or the ground.
If it’s the screen, then Y would be up. If the ground, then Z would be up.
I think Y is more common in games because of a holdover from the original 2D ones, where it was easier to perceive the game in the same manner that you would a flat drawing, and Z essentially did not even exist.
Z-up only makes sense in 3D games which heavily utilize every axis, like Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

No, I am not the only one and I am giving reasons as to why I think it is not, while you are giving reasons as to why you think it is and we don’t agree. That is not uncommon for a discussion.

Oh, except one person who literally said it was not a violation of tos and his post was deleted (and he was likely infracted for it).

Really? And you can show us that post? No, you can’t, so what value does your comment have.

What’s wrong with quoting an english translation of what the german lead said?

It is a bad translation. It is non-sensical english. Post the original with your own translation but not the gibberish produced by some translation program

I even quoted the direct link to his post. Where does that violate any ToS (where actually if you were familiar with ToS posting in any other language besides english is an infraction).

I never said it did violate any ToS, does your world revolve around violating a ToS?
Citing a piece from am article or post in a foreign language withing your english post does not violate any ToS. To claim quoting from a non-english post violates forum guidelines would not just be unreasonable, it would be silly.

Does it offend you that I posted the first relevant, direct information from the german lead?

No, relevant information does not offend me, but I can understand German just fine and presenting me this horrible translation is what offends me.

Have I violated your sense of evidentiary procedure? Where are these made up rules that you follow?

My rules? It’s not about rules but about interpretation and you present an unconvincing interpretation of the rules. Your case rests upon the assumption that the jump-dodge is two actions.

As a matter of fact, I found a thread with the question where a developer joins in the discussion on binding it to one key, or mouse-button and when he says: … I don’t even know if you could bind that with a programmable mouse., that sure doesn’t sound like he is very focussed on the UA aspects of it.

Bottom line is that you’re the only person who has not had their post deleted who even remotely interprets the ToS in that way.

Incorrect, see for example this post

So, for the third time, my very basic and simple question to you (which you have avoided answering directly): Are you telling people it’s ok to key bind dodge-jumping to 1 key?

I recognize a C&D when I see one and I will carefully watch my back when I know someone is going to take any opportunity to take a stab at it.

Oh and as for your ignorance about the mechanics, it does give an in-combat advantage and the dodge-jump in combat takes you noticeably further. This has been covered in dozens of guides and is pretty much wide-spread common knowledge.

Ignorance? Really? Well, I have tested it (I know how to perform it reliably) and it does not take you further when dodging, it does not improve your dodges, so it does not give an advantage in combat. It gives a longer jump when in combat but jumping is irrelevant in combat. On the downside, you can not steer like you can with a regular jump.

(edited by frans.8092)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

so you’re making the argument that it’s perfectly fine for people to do it, but you’re not actually going to say it?

You really sound like you believe what you’re preaching /sarcasm.

And yeah, apparently you don’t even know the benefits of dodge-jumping. Since—according to you—it has NO advantage what-so-ever why are you even bothering posting about this at all? Why do people care if they reliably can do it?

Maybe do some actual research on the subject before saying it’s useless.

I could take the time to shred everything you’ve just posted, but it really is a non-issue.

Bottom line is that you’re telling people it’s ok to violate ToS and I’d rather not have that misinformation spread. I do it 100% reliably without macros and could care less if everyone could do it w/ or w/o a macro. The only reason I bothered to post was to prevent the spread of this misinformation by the willfully ignorant when this issue and similar issues have been addressed.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

It’s probably lag, human lag

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

so you’re making the argument that it’s perfectly fine for people to do it, but you’re not actually going to say it?

Like I said, and argued for, I believe binding dodge-jump to a single key or button is not against the User Agreement. The main reason is that, in my opinion, the dodge-jump is a single action.

And yeah, apparently you don’t even know the benefits of dodge-jumping. Since—according to you—it has NO advantage what-so-ever why are you even bothering posting about this at all?

I didn’t say that, I said it gave no advantage over other players in combat. It has an obvious advantage in jumping puzzles where it (supposedly) allows you to make a full length jump even while in combat-mode. But since jumping puzzles typically do not involve other players as opponents, that is not an issue with the rules / UA.

Why do people care if they reliably can do it?

I think because if you happen to press jump before dodge you might end up only jumping when you needed the dodge.

I could take the time to shred everything you’ve just posted, but …

… you couldn’t, if you had any real arguments you would have posted them by now.

Bottom line is that you’re telling people it’s ok to violate ToS and I’d rather not have that misinformation spread.

I am disputing your reading of the ToS, and in my view . I hate it when people start to spread FUD so they can tell other people what they should do, or not do.

The only reason I bothered to post was to prevent the spread of this misinformation by the willfully ignorant when this issue and similar issues have been addressed.

Off course you do.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

“No, I am not the only one and I am giving reasons as to why I think it is not, while you are giving reasons as to why you think it is and we don’t agree. That is not uncommon for a discussion.”

Yes you are. We are talking about the specifics of this thread. Unless you’re putting words in my mouth or lying. Please quote the other people in this thread?

No? Oh yeah so you ASSUMED I meant outside of this thread too. Or you shoved those words in my mouth. Lack of specificity? You should have asked for clarification. As such you’re 100% wrong.

“Really? And you can show us that post? No, you can’t, so what value does your comment have.”
Show this post? What kind of ridiculous question is that? Do you really think I am screenshotting every single post just in case a mod deletes it and someone else goes “SHOW ME PROOF THIS POST EXISTED”

That’s absurd. If you don’t believe me and think that I would lie about something so petty then good for you. I don’t care that you don’t believe me but going so far as to randomly suggest I post proof of this post which was up for hours for other people to read as well is a bit ridiculous.

Regardless, you’re 100% wrong if you don’t think it happened.

“It is a bad translation. It is non-sensical english. Post the original with your own translation but not the gibberish produced by some translation program”

Bad translation? I completely 100% understood the meaning of the translated text and speak 0 German. Furthermore I went so far as to elaborate on the relevant parts of the quotation.

Grammatically incorrect? Sure. Nonsensical? 100% wrong. If it was nonsensical it wouldn’t have made sense. You’re absolutely wrong about that since I was able to understand and apply his translation EXACTLY as the english version explains to us.

“I never said it did violate any ToS, does your world revolve around violating a ToS?
Citing a piece from am article or post in a foreign language withing your english post does not violate any ToS. To claim quoting from a non-english post violates forum guidelines would not just be unreasonable, it would be silly.”

My point of discussion that I’ve chosen to involve myself in is the legitimacy of dodge-jump to be keybound to 1 key. As such that’s the focus of my discussion.

As for quoting a German translation I was mocking the vehement opposition you showed to my translation. Who cares if it’s translated? What rule have I broken? None. Your opposition to it is completely unfounded and that’s the point I was making.

Suggesting my world revolves around ToS is equally ridiculous, except unlike you I recognize you’re being facetious.

Again, you’re 100% wrong and at this point hypocritical.

“No, relevant information does not offend me, but I can understand German just fine and presenting me this horrible translation is what offends me. "

Who cares? What if I told you that it offends me that you’re don’t find computer generated translations legitimate? No one cares. That was my point all along, no one cares about your personal preferences and pet peeves so bringing them into a discussion is useless. The fact is I quoted LEGITIMATE information that made complete sense. Unless you’re suggesting I am psycic and magically understood EXACTLY what he meant.

“My rules? It’s not about rules but about interpretation and you present an unconvincing interpretation of the rules. Your case rests upon the assumption that the jump-dodge is two actions.”

What are you talking about? You took that quote COMPLETELY out of context and turned it into some screwed up piece of information to voice your random comments.

I was SPECIFICALLY talking about quoting the German lead. What right do you have to impose your sense of offense on me? I don’t care if you’re offended. It’s PERFECTLY good information. Was I about to spend hours looking for some english response on a very niche and specific issue? Absolutely not. Could I have? Sure. But why would I care to—and more relevently: why would I HAVE to? Because you want me to? Who cares what you WANT in a discussion? I posted FACTS by a LEAD DEV.

So again I ask you, why do I have to follow your made up rules of evidentiary procedure?

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

“As a matter of fact, I found a thread with the question where a developer joins in the discussion on binding it to one key, or mouse-button and when he says: … I don’t even know if you could bind that with a programmable mouse., that sure doesn’t sound like he is very focussed on the UA aspects of it.”

Completely irrelevant. The dev doesn’t even know if it’s POSSIBLE to time-macro (when it obviously is which shows his lack of knowledge on the subject)
Furthermore you quote a terrain designer? Please show me EXACTLY where he suggests at all that you can either multi keybind or that you can safely keybind jumpdodge to one key.

“Ignorance? Really? Well, I have tested it (I know how to perform it reliably) and it does not take you further when dodging, it does not improve your dodges, so it does not give an advantage in combat. It gives a longer jump when in combat but jumping is irrelevant in combat. On the downside, you can not steer like you can with a regular jump.”

Absolutely ignorance if you don’t know of the in-combat advantages.

100% wrong again.

I’ll get to your next post when I get home. Looks like you were also 100% wrong of me not having anythnig to reply.

Also these are just samples, I’ll post full responses more in-depth when I get back.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Reaper.1748

Reaper.1748

I honestly don’t get why people make such a big song and dance about something so small. Whether I slam down my jump key and dodge-roll key at the same time to do a jump roll, or if I input a macro on a keyboard to do it similarly it makes no visual difference. If the player spent whatever time or money to make the macro good on them, if they don’t fine too. If you felt a fight was close cause someone jump roll, probably wasn’t the case.

The only benefit it has is a slightly longer roll distance, so long as I’m aware which in some cases can matter, but really only to melee ranged skills. Besides out of all the things to pick at in this game you choose macroing a jump dodge roll key.

The priorities are real bro

[Syn] Syndictive I [PYRO] Pyromancers I Sea of Sorrows

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I always find ANets attitude to this amusing… I mean I am 99% sure they didn’t intend this to be a thing and weren’t even aware of it during development. I say this because it’s not a dodge-specific thing. You can jump+skill anything (at least I assume anything, I know you can do it with any of the ranger Sword and Dagger skills because I do it when running around and I’m bored. Jump+Sw3 is particularlty amusing to me).

So anyway.. I think ANet were never aware of it until players found it… but now have just jumped onboard with it and now advertise it as a piece of pro-play / skilled play simply because this game has very little of that and they are happy players have found at least some cool quirk in the mechanics. And now they just quietly ignore the whole macro issue because on the one hand, it’s clearly 2 seperate actions jammed together so having 1 button for it should be against the ToS, but on the other hand it’s such a small thing and if they say macroing it is against the ToS a significant portion on the community will, inevitably, missinterprit that as JumpDodging in general is against the ToS and hate on their hardcore players using it… which they cant have.

And so goes on the quiet ignoring of the issue

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

“No, I am not the only one and I am giving reasons as to why I think it is not, while you are giving reasons as to why you think it is and we don’t agree. That is not uncommon for a discussion.”

Yes you are. We are talking about the specifics of this thread. Unless you’re putting words in my mouth or lying. Please quote the other people in this thread?

A bit odd to confine the search to this thread, but a sly move. Anyway, you don’t determine where I can look for information, reference, quotes, opinions etc …..

“Really? And you can show us that post? No, you can’t, so what value does your comment have.”
Show this post? What kind of ridiculous question is that? Do you really think I am screenshotting every single post just in case a mod deletes it and someone else goes “SHOW ME PROOF THIS POST EXISTED”

That’s absurd. If you don’t believe me …

Actually without the thread and the context it is hard to judge what was said and why it might have been removed. And, no, I really don’t trust your ability to reliable and objectively handle the context of these issues.

You have, btw, not given me any reason to trust you and many reasons not to. Without the thread we don’t know what was in it or why it was removed.

Bad translation? I completely 100% understood the meaning of the translated text and speak 0 German.

That you managed to make sense of it is basically a form of adapting the facts to ones fiction, you simply made it fit to whatever you believed.

Why did you not refer to this english text that you claim matched it so well? Why did you dig up this screwed up translation from a German text if you have an English text available?

My point of discussion that I’ve chosen to involve myself in is the legitimacy of dodge-jump to be keybound to 1 key. As such that’s the focus of my discussion.

Why all the irrelevant side-tracking? I’ve been trying to get the discussion back on track by returning the two core issues in just about every post, but you keep dodging it and instead post irrelevant musings.

Suggesting my world revolves around ToS is equally ridiculous, except unlike you I recognize you’re being facetious.

Then why did you read that into my critique of the poorly translated text?

“No, relevant information does not offend me, but I can understand German just fine and presenting me this horrible translation is what offends me. "

Who cares?

Oh, now I am so sad, I really thought you cared, after-all you thought I seemed offended, so I explained. My mistake.

What if I told you that it offends me that you’re don’t find computer generated translations legitimate? No one cares.

Only if they are so bad that they aren’t English anymore. Excuse me for needing understandable and correct English with these kinds of issues. Why would that offend you?

“My rules? It’s not about rules but about interpretation and you present an unconvincing interpretation of the rules. Your case rests upon the assumption that the jump-dodge is two actions.”

What are you talking about? You took that quote COMPLETELY out of context and turned it into some screwed up piece of information to voice your random comments.

I was SPECIFICALLY talking about quoting the German lead. What right do you have to impose your sense of offense on me? I don’t care if you’re offended. It’s PERFECTLY good information. Was I about to spend hours looking for some english response on a very niche and specific issue? Absolutely not. Could I have? Sure. But why would I care to—and more relevently: why would I HAVE to? Because you want me to? Who cares what you WANT in a discussion? I posted FACTS by a LEAD DEV.

Wow man, you do same pretty upset about me critiquing a seriously poor translation.

So again I ask you, why do I have to follow your made up rules of evidentiary procedure?

What are you talking about? Evidentiaty procedure? I’d like an open minded discussion with reasonable arguments, specifically why do you think it should be considered as two actions and not one and why do you think there’s any advantage to using dodge-jump in combat over simply using dodge.

You see, there they are again the core questions, (a) 1 or 2 actions and (b) combat advantages over other players.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Completely irrelevant. The dev doesn’t even know if it’s POSSIBLE to time-macro (when it obviously is which shows his lack of knowledge on the subject)
Furthermore you quote a terrain designer? Please show me EXACTLY where he suggests at all that you can either multi keybind or that you can safely keybind jumpdodge to one key.

I never said that, I said he didn’t seem concerned in the slightest about the legality of binding it to a single key.

Absolutely ignorance if you don’t know of the in-combat advantages.

You seem to be having a hard time summing up the issues I am so ignorant about. It really can not be hard to list them.

I’ll get to your next post when I get home. Looks like you were also 100% wrong of me not having anythnig to reply.

Are you home yet? I am waiting for you to get back on topic, you know, these two key questions, (a) 1 or 2 actions and (b) combat advantages over other players.

Also these are just samples, I’ll post full responses more in-depth when I get back.

Samples of what? I hope interesting points about these two questions, (a) 1 or 2 actions and (b) combat advantages over other players.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

“A bit odd to confine the search to this thread, but a sly move. Anyway, you don’t determine where I can look for information, reference, quotes, opinions etc …..”

A bit odd? You literally assumed 100% incorrectly.

Where on Earth did I say you could only look for information in any particular place? Quote me. Show me exactly WHERE I said you COULD ONLY LOOK FOR INFORMATION FROM.

Again you’re lying and trying to manipulate what I’ve said to mean something COMPLETELY different.

JUST because I pointed out where you assumed I meant any post or thought in existence as opposed to the discussion at hand does NOT imply I am saying you must (or even should) just limit your search to these forums.

That being said when I am talking about posts in this thread and using generalized statements as a representation of our current active discussion, quoting other threads and basically saying “see you’re wrong, someone else in existence happened to think/post this too.”

So you’re digging yourself a deeper hole here. I never said you weren’t the only one to think/post it at any point in time. Nor did I ever say that you should only limit your search to this thread. Where did I ever suggest that I was in a position to determine where you search for information? Please, specifically quote where I said that because as I see it you’re manipulating my mode of CLARIFICATION as a way to suggest that I am saying I am in charge of determining where you look for information—which is absolutely not the case.

“Actually without the thread and the context it is hard to judge what was said and why it might have been removed. And, no, I really don’t trust your ability to reliable and objectively handle the context of these issues.
You have, btw, not given me any reason to trust you and many reasons not to. Without the thread we don’t know what was in it or why it was removed.”

What on Earth are you talking about? What thread? No one said anything about a thread. Why are you shoving words in my mouth?

Someone came here and made a post saying something to the affect of: “Fine, I’ll be the one to say it. It’s ok to key bind jump-dodge to 1 key /thread.”

Give or take a grammatical difference and a word or two that’s the heart of what he posted. /report later + 1 day and the post is gone.

Please stop lying and manipulating what I’ve said into something completely different.

What proof do you have to show that you’re credible either? Isn’t it obvious that no one here has what would be considered ‘notable credentials’ outside of a moderator or dev coming in and posting relevant information? As such you’re using it as a soap box to attack my lack of credibility (which is the exact same as anyone else’s who has been posting in this thread).

I could go on to attack your lack of credibility in a similar fashion. Especially since you’ve taken it a step further to manipulate nearly every comment I’ve made. But that’s not the point of the discussion.

Many reasons not to trust me? Please list off all of them.

“That you managed to make sense of it is basically a form of adapting the facts to ones fiction, you simply made it fit to whatever you believed.
Why did you not refer to this english text that you claim matched it so well? Why did you dig up this screwed up translation from a German text if you have an English text available?”

You’re presenting one farfetched reason as to how I magically came to understand the text.

You know, an alternate and more convincing explanation would be that the german to english translator actually made a lot of sense and from that I was able to fully understand the meaning.

Why are you manipulating the discussion where did I ever say or even suggest that I had the english version of this when I made that post? Where did I say I was ever referring to the original translation at the time of that post?

Never. You’re making this up out of thin air.

After I had posted the german translation another user came across the literal english version that was posted by an english dev and shared it with the thread.

Surprisingly enough my first analysis of the german to english translation was spot on and I understood it completely and went so far as to present a proper mini analysis of its relevance to the discussion at hand.

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

“Why all the irrelevant side-tracking? I’ve been trying to get the discussion back on track by returning the two core issues in just about every post, but you keep dodging it and instead post irrelevant musings.”

Irrelevant side-tracking? Is this a joke? I post a german quote SPECIFICALLY on the issue, hours later another person finds the english version saying the same thing that was analyzed earlier and you spend a significant portion of your response harping on how a german to english translation OFFENDS you even though it has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand since the translation and interpretation made enough sense to get a solid analysis of it and continue the discussion?

Now that I call you out on your unnecessary tangent you try and pretend to be the victim by saying I am responsible for this point of discussion when you were the one who randomly decided to impose your sense of offense in the thread?

“Then why did you read that into my critique of the poorly translated text?”

What are you talking about? I realize you’re not good with english so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that something got lost in translation here. Your question literally makes no sense in any form of context I try and put it in.

“Oh, now I am so sad, I really thought you cared, after-all you thought I seemed offended, so I explained. My mistake.”

Outside of the sarcasm, for someone who was just moments earlier was making such a huge fuss about irrelevant tangents, you mock me for pointing out how irrelevant your pet-peeve’s are?

As for me thinking you were offended, you literally said that the horrible translation offended you.

“Only if they are so bad that they aren’t English anymore. Excuse me for needing understandable and correct English with these kinds of issues. Why would that offend you?”

Except no one else had problems with the post for the ~12+ hours that it was posted.

Why would it offend me? Who cares? It’s an example to prove a point. It doesn’t offend me and even if it did I wouldn’t bring in my ridiculous pet peeve’s unnecessarily into a discussion—you know, like how you mentioned irrelevant tangents?

[SoF]

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Lux.7169

“Wow man, you do same pretty upset about me critiquing a seriously poor translation.”

So you ignore all the questions I asked? You won’t even clarify on why you manipulated my statement to voice something completely irrelevant? So instead of responding to the issue you just pretend it didn’t happen and make an ad hoc attack on me?

“What are you talking about? Evidentiaty procedure? I’d like an open minded discussion with reasonable arguments, specifically why do you think it should be considered as two actions and not one and why do you think there’s any advantage to using dodge-jump in combat over simply using dodge.
You see, there they are again the core questions, (a) 1 or 2 actions and (b) combat advantages over other players.”

What am I talking about? Evidentiary procedure: the process by which evidence may be brought into a discussion. Since you made such an enormous deal about me quoting a german dev via a german to english translation and linking the specific source of information you are obviously following some made-up rules and are expecting everyone else to follow these same rules.

As such I am asking what these rules are? Where are you coming up with these completely random rules for the discussion?

You say you want a discussion with reasonable arguments, but who is the judge of reasonable? You? You sure seem to be acting like that by saying that the translation is so horrible that it is nonsensical except I made perfect sense of it.

So are you claiming to be the almighty judge of reasonable here? If not then by what standards are you suggesting everyone come into this thread? Do you think we all share your interpretation of reasonable?

At the end of the day whatever the devs declare to be status quo is all that really matters with the part of the discussion I have chosen to involve myself in. For me there is no evidence suggesting it is ok to key bind jump dodge to 1 key, and it even makes it worse that by doing this you literally have to set a time macro on the mouse for a fraction of a second later, so not only is 1 key activating 2 actions, but it’s setting one on a micro-second specific timer in order to perform a skill the devs call a ‘pro tip’ to perfection.

“I never said that, I said he didn’t seem concerned in the slightest about the legality of binding it to a single key.”

Thanks for clarifying—that being said who cares what a terrain designer thinks (or doesn’t think about) in this case? Don’t you have some hidden agenda of evidentiary procedure? Apparently, according to you, I can be berated for quoting a german english translation via computer, but you can quote terrain designers? Have you seen him clarify keybinding issues in the past? Does he hold a spot on the panel that created the ToS? What at all—besides the red blob—suggests that his opinion (or lack of opinion in this case) holds any levity on an interpretation of the ToS? I’d genuinely like to know—especially if your only basis for quoting this as evidence to support the legality of this is the fact that he is a dev.

“You seem to be having a hard time summing up the issues I am so ignorant about. It really can not be hard to list them.”

Oh I could teach you, or you could spend the thousands of hours I have in pvp learning the in-combat advantages or spending more hours reading guides on the advantages.

As for you trying to hijack this thread and turn it into your soap box, the POINT of the discussion is whether lag is affecting the OP’s ability to reliably perform jump-dodge.

The next person told him that people who do it most likely key bind it to 1 key and that’s where I chose to clarify that it violates the ToS.

So are you forcing me to enter the metaphysical discussion you’re turning this into? I don’t care if you consider it 1 action or 2 and the devs don’t either.

You seem to be overlooking the final rule the devs laid out: when in doubt, don’t do it.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

Where on Earth did I say you could only look for information in any particular place?

With “We are talking about the specifics of this thread” and “so you ASSUMED I meant outside of this thread too” in this post:

We are talking about the specifics of this thread. Unless you’re putting words in my mouth or lying. Please quote the other people in this thread?

No? Oh yeah so you ASSUMED I meant outside of this thread too. Or you shoved those words in my mouth. Lack of specificity? You should have asked for clarification. As such you’re 100% wrong.

I never said you weren’t the only one to think/post it at any point in time.

You did actually when you said, and I quote,

That is you referencing another post, with ‘except’ linking it to ’you’re the only one’ implying there really is no one except me saying this.

Nor did I ever say that you should only limit your search to this thread.

Yes, you did, right here:

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

Forum wars, gotta love it.

Don’t see why people need to macro it, it’s really no biggie to pull of if you practice for 5 minutes with the v+space combo. If you got small hands you can even bind it to, let’s say, c+space.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

“Actually without the thread and the context it is hard to judge what was said and why it might have been removed. And, no, I really don’t trust your ability to reliable and objectively handle the context of these issues.
You have, btw, not given me any reason to trust you and many reasons not to. Without the thread we don’t know what was in it or why it was removed.”

What on Earth are you talking about? What thread? No one said anything about a thread. Why are you shoving words in my mouth?

All right, so it was a post. While you get a clarification from a mod when a thread you posted in is removed, you don’t get a clarification when a post is removed. You don’t know why the post was removed, it might even have been the original poster who deleted it. You do not know.

Someone came here and made a post saying something to the affect of: “Fine, I’ll be the one to say it. It’s ok to key bind jump-dodge to 1 key /thread.”

How would you know why it disappeared?

What proof do you have to show that you’re credible either?

Anyone can decide for themselves who they trust or find credible.

“That you managed to make sense of it is basically a form of adapting the facts to ones fiction, you simply made it fit to whatever you believed.
Why did you not refer to this english text that you claim matched it so well? Why did you dig up this screwed up translation from a German text if you have an English text available?”

You’re presenting one farfetched reason as to how I magically came to understand the text.

No, common psychology, we all try to interpret new facts with our existing understanding.

You know, an alternate and more convincing explanation would be that the german to english translator actually made a lot of sense and from that I was able to fully understand the meaning.

Not possible as the English translation is incorrect English, gibberish even.

Why are you manipulating the discussion where did I ever say or even suggest that I had the english version of this when I made that post? Where did I say I was ever referring to the original translation at the time of that post?
Never. You’re making this up out of thin air.

You said I was able to understand and apply his translation EXACTLY as the english version explains to us right here:

Grammatically incorrect? Sure. Nonsensical? 100% wrong. If it was nonsensical it wouldn’t have made sense. You’re absolutely wrong about that since I was able to understand and apply his translation EXACTLY as the english version explains to us.

After I had posted the german translation another user came across the literal english version that was posted by an english dev and shared it with the thread.

I don’t really see such a link. The only link I do see is to Gaile Gray’s post saying it’s not ok to keybind multiple skills to one key. But that one doesn’t explain the faulty translation.

Surprisingly enough my first analysis of the german to english translation was spot on and I understood it completely and went so far as to present a proper mini analysis of its relevance to the discussion at hand.

Right …

Speaking of relevance, you still haven’t explained why you believe it is (a) two actions and not one and (b) what advantages this action (or actions) gives over other players.

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I really really don’t understand WTF IS THIS TOPIC EVEN ABOUT?! You are soon gonna go into page 2 over…nothing.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Jump + Dodge

in Thief

frans.8092

“Why all the irrelevant side-tracking? I’ve been trying to get the discussion back on track by returning the two core issues in just about every post, but you keep dodging it and instead post irrelevant musings.”

Irrelevant side-tracking? Is this a joke? I post a german quote SPECIFICALLY on the issue, hours later another person finds the english version saying the same thing that was analyzed earlier and you spend a significant portion of your response harping on how a german to english translation OFFENDS you even though it has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand since the translation and interpretation made enough sense to get a solid analysis of it and continue the discussion?

I originally spend one sentence on the poor translation, it was blown up by you afterwards. And the whole german quote is already sidetracking because we already know these things and the issue comes down to two things,

2) does the action (or actions) give an advantage

Which I have posted in that same post where I question the use of the poorly translated quote, and to which I have been trying to get back to in almost every post.

“Then why did you read that into my critique of the poorly translated text?”

What are you talking about? I realize you’re not good with english so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that something got lost in translation here. Your question literally makes no sense in any form of context I try and put it in.

I think the ‘that’ in ‘why did you read that’ was about your “Where does that violate any ToS” in:

What’s wrong with quoting an english translation of what the german lead said? I even quoted the direct link to his post. Where does that violate any ToS …