Just got 80 on my Thief, need advice.

in Thief

Posted by: SaLaMi.5867

SaLaMi.5867

I just reached level 80 on my thief. I’m mostly a PvE player, but i also enjoy WvW.

I would like some advice in playing a fun build that is good at both. I don’t like glass cannon builds, but if it’s the only way i will consider it.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

What weapons are you using now? What kind of combat do you enjoy on other characters?

There are fun, and none glassy, options for most weapons in both gamemodes. I’d say “anything” that will work for WvW will work in PvE. You won’t be maxing out in PvE with your WvW build, but you will be more than effective regardless.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

play ghost thief like everyone else

in Thief

Posted by: Westenev.5289

Westenev.5289

As a person who plays thief often, I suggest going glassy to begin with (zerk/scholar) – thief has a lot of evades and manoeuvrability to survive, and you can’t learn to take full advantage of them if you’re under the assumption you can take a hit without consequences. Developing a healthy paranoia is the key to staying alive – especially in a meta that is so anti-thief.

in Thief

SaLaMi.5867

What weapons are you using now? What kind of combat do you enjoy on other characters?

There are fun, and none glassy, options for most weapons in both gamemodes. I’d say “anything” that will work for WvW will work in PvE. You won’t be maxing out in PvE with your WvW build, but you will be more than effective regardless.

I’m using P/D condi build right now. It packs a punch and i have good survivability, but i think it can be improved. I don’t necessarily want a condi build though, just a solid build for mostly PvE.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Look at my signature for the P/D build I use. Only change from that vid is taking both Rending Shade and confusion on steal.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVl0MhimYnTwpJw/ELtEmWA4AsAmHhrwXoXZoNMHA-TxhWAB49EAQVfQ2KBNW5XenCAcV/Bg9HIFwiKrA-e

Here is what I run in PvE. Mostly relies on stacking conditions and not getting hit.

For PvP I use the same build, using Deadeye Amulet, except Mug instead of Dagger Training.

Good luck out there. Have fun!

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

As a person who plays thief often, I suggest going glassy to begin with (zerk/scholar) – thief has a lot of evades and manoeuvrability to survive, and you can’t learn to take full advantage of them if you’re under the assumption you can take a hit without consequences. Developing a healthy paranoia is the key to staying alive – especially in a meta that is so anti-thief.

Pretty much this. If you want to improve, you’re gonna have to suck and just get better.

There are so many nuances depending on each weapon set that I don’t even know where to begin. Again, this is kind of a practice thing.

The best place to start in PvP environments is to learn how the other professions work so you know how to beat them. The thief requires the most knowledge of its opponents as well as a high degree of mechanical skill compared to the rest of the professions. Not knowing what to expect will get you killed and make you frustrated, regardless of how good mechanically you are.

in Thief

SaLaMi.5867

Thank you all for the advice

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Vanilla GW2 for free-to-play / non-expansion accounts:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAoY6alsMhunYnTwwJw/EHIF1OK3s2j3ABwD0rqrsEA-TxSAABIcQAM4BAQwJAAp9Hkw83Oq/YlyPc0DMrSQAOCAvoZAA-e

Features:

• Critical build with low HP but lots of utility and condition cleansing
  • Huge single-target damage
  • Some party utility as a DPS role
  • What I used to run before Acrobatics got changed and Specializations / HoT happened

For Heart of Thorns, because Elite specs are nachos.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAW6an8lCdPhdOBGOBkmiFtiarFvrkbO5f+svLmmxAA-ThSAABCcBAA4IAYlyPJM/9imh61Bsj6PI8QAQa/hZVCCA-e

Features

• Swaps dual daggers for staff to gain better auto-attack and DPS
  • Loses easy access to stealth but gains Daredevil, which gives the best heal
  • … and even more damage
  • … and an additional, 3rd dodge
  • … and damage reduction after dodging (and capitalizes on your Pack runes for even more swiftness)

Both builds are modeled off the concept of exploiting Thief’s various ways of gaining healing through damage. Invigorating Precision returns 15% of all critical damage as Health gained, and Assassin’s Reward heals you for using weapon skills. You can use Unload to restore about 1,400 to 1,600 HP in a single use, for example. And because you have nearly an 80% critical rate, Weakness has little effect on you and nearly every hit you land will heal you appreciably (and far more than Signet of Malice can).

Skills 7 through 10 can be swapped out to suit your mood, and the healing skill is more of a suggestion than anything.

Likewise you could swap for Superior Runes of Strength to maximize the effect of your pistols, if you wish.

in Thief

SaLaMi.5867

Thats exactly what i’ve been looking for! Thank you very much, it’s perfect for my playstyle.