Just reached Gold Division with a P/D build

in Thief

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

I see people bashing P/D and condi thieves all the time but it definitely works. Paired with venoms you got good burst damage (although less than D/P Marauders) insane mobility and you’re almost impossible to kill since you can kite anything and evade a lot of damage. Here’s the build I’m using if anyone is interested:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqYVn8lCFNhNNBGmC8PhlmiibJPgAw7Fah0b+8X/5H-TpRAAB9s/AHHBAPOEAA8AAIrMQ0nAAA

Main burst is just Activate Venoms(best if there are also allies around you) -> Steal -> Shadow Strike -> Autoattack. You can cancel the shadow step by jumping while activating SS, but I don’t do this very often. Biggest weakness atm are other thieves ironically. Very good Guardian killer since you’ll activate their traps with steal and then blink away instantly, avoiding all the damage.

in Thief

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

you can get to plat playing without HoT lol

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in Thief

Posted by: scarydogie.3024

scarydogie.3024

Is gold supposed to mean you climbed high? because gold is not high, lol

Lyss
Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Call us again when you are in legendary, or manage to convince Sindrenerr to play with this build for the rest of the season.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Thief

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

One shares his piece of information and gets bashed for it.
This community is really toxic.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

It’s nice to now people can have fun with other builds on thief

I’m having fun with p/p at the moment. It’s nice to have a breather from current d/p build. It makes you look at part of game mechanics you overlooked before because the playstyle is similar (thief role I mean) and yet different.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Lexander.4579

nice way to distort the situation boi

guy boasts reaching a meaningless rank with a meaningless build, is explained that build is still bad and that rank can be achieved with pretty much any build whatsoever

“gee gee toxic community”

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

guy boasts reaching a meaningless rank with a meaningless build, is explained that build is still bad and that rank can be achieved with pretty much any build whatsoever

Actually, there is two ways to see this. You can stay humble ( and nice ? ) and recognize that for each person their level and don’t kitten on everyone.A comment like “Glad for you, I’m in division **** and I don’t think p/d will be efficient upper gold 3, keep going and see for yourself” for example. Or you can just be a kitten and answer like people did.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

(edited by Wargameur.6950)

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

Lmao hilarious how mad some people can get. Was just saying that P/D actually works since i got a 60% win rate with this build. I’ll make another post when I get to legendary using only utility skills, cheers

(edited by Revolutionen.5693)

in Thief

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

People want to crap on it because they want to believe it doesn’t work … maybe because they are terrible themselves. Oh well, the closed minded people will always be first to find a way to diminish someone else.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I think the point is that a player can get to Gold with below average play so using that rank as proof of a build concept doesn’t really work.

The overall point is that if a build is strong, players will see it replicated. If this build works well, top tier players will use it. Sure someone has to blaze the trail but many hours on P/D tell me it is still weak comparatively speaking.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

I think the point is that a player can get to Gold with below average play so using that rank as proof of a build concept doesn’t really work.

Are you dumb? There’s no way to climb ranks if you’re below average, since a win to loss rate below 50% will keep you in bronze.

And I don’t care what the elite players use. This build works great for me so thought I’d share it, but apparently that’s called boasting

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i made it to gold 2 playing trapper for lols

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

i made it to gold 2 playing trapper for lols

Congrats! im amazed you can put your traps down repeatedly until gold rank “for lols” you should have made a comedy documentary about it!

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i did… it posted few week ago lol

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Congratulations on making it to Gold and good luck getting to Platinum.

I’d like to point out that builds perform better in the hands of mechanically skilled players. An upper division player is more likely to stick with the build types that have worked for them to get to where they are. Any changes they make are going to be smaller and not as drastic as switching to an unfamiliar weapon set. So I welcome newer people to learn to play P/D or more experienced players on alts rather than merely relying on “no one plays this in legendary.” Which is to say, as one might expect, most players do not play anything in legendary at all.

I agree that other thieves can be dangerous to P/D. But that holds relatively true for D/P and the like. If they are on PI then they are less dangerous because their cleanse is much more limited. But if they take EA then you are forced to learn how to burst and hold your attacks long enough for their health to melt. Or you can trick them into wasting their dodges and then load them up before repeating as needed to kill them over time.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

first one change to the build to help you out
take rending shade which will help you better in team fight to pressure the ele, ranger, warrior and engi. 5 boons stealing will help your team in the burst as you are not burst type thief (rather as solo type necro with better escape utilities)

dont go to 1v1 as you lost the edge of your venoms. look for 2v2, 3v3. not even +1 as you dont have much burst (depends on the enemy)

most of your fight in 1v1 will end that enemy thief will +1 so you wont achieve much but crippling your team. so think like condi necro steal boons at the right time. look to rip protection, regen, stability mainly or to rip might to help with your burst

if you see you struggling to do dmg with too many reflect blocks just focus on decap/cap points and harassing the ele and force him to use utilities which hinder his abilities to heal better his team

i tried it and its nice build just for fun but still d/p is much better for thief

in Thief

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

First, no wonder you don’t notice toxicity when that seems to be the way you “Pros” communicate. One gets used to everything, it seems.

Second, the only distorted thing here is your perception. There was no boasting at all, no evaluation. Only facts, almost scientifically. No “It was awesome” or “I think this is great/better than others”. Only what he does when using this build and how it works out for him. Boasting is “I am plat, you are gold, so all you say is wrong and what i say is right. If you don’t see my point, you are dumb”. See the difference? Glad to be of service.

Last, don’t “boy” me. You know nothing about me. I could be 14 or I could be 55. At least you were right about the gender, grats. There is a certain line one should not cross to conserve the mutual respect. And knowing respect, among other things, is a good part of the difference between men and boys. So basically, all you did was “boy” yourself – with your actions.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

(edited by Plautze.6290)

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I am in plat on alt account w/o HoT. AMA :P

On more serious note, i think anything works till like plat 3 where you start facing top 10 players that play to win and are actually good.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Lexander.4579

First, no wonder you don’t notice toxicity when that seems to be the way you “Pros” communicate. One gets used to everything, it seems.

Second, the only distorted thing here is your perception. There was no boasting at all, no evaluation. Only facts, almost scientifically. No “It was awesome” or “I think this is great/better than others”. Only what he does when using this build and how it works out for him. Boasting is “I am plat, you are gold, so all you say is wrong and what i say is right. If you don’t see my point, you are dumb”. See the difference? Glad to be of service.

Last, don’t “boy” me. You know nothing about me. I could be 14 or I could be 55. At least you were right about the gender, grats. There is a certain line one should not cross to conserve the mutual respect. And knowing respect, among other things, is a good part of the difference between men and boys. So basically, all you did was “boy” yourself – with your actions.

idc what rank people are, its common that better players are disrespected by their worst in nowadays gaming because there is all that matchmaking thing in every game that protects worse players and allows them to blame their teams whole day

therefore i dont really mind if he made gold or bronze with p/d, “the scientific facts” as you said are that reaching either of those rank is not really showing anything and even less it says anything about the build

and since he mentions reaching gold rank as a proof that the build he used works I had no other way around than saying that you can get to that rank with pretty much any build

you should probably learn to not be offended with every single piece of information, not everyone is going to treat you or other people like your moms do especially on the internet

moreso you are the first person to mention to me that being called “boi” offends them, you should probably check on those complexes or phobias of yours, boi

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

@Revolutionen: Grats for reaching Gold. Go Legendary and show them they’re all wrong

Thank you! ^^ It’s a very fun build even if I don’t reach higher divisions, so I’ll definitely stay P/D for a while. Hopefully I’ll meet these guys in a game so I can kitten them off even more lmao

Also thanks for the tips @messiah , I’ll switch to rending shade and see how that goes

in Thief

Straegen.2938

Are you dumb? There’s no way to climb ranks if you’re below average, since a win to loss rate below 50% will keep you in bronze.

I hope not. Getting to Gold means you have beat mostly casual and crappy players. Basically Gold means you and your build can beat scrubs. Getting to the next two tiers has significantly better players and builds to get through. I am pretty sure on play skill alone a decent player could get Gold on a vanilla necro.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

I hope not.

Let me explain maths to you. Below 50% is below average, otherwise you’re above.

Getting to Gold means you have beat mostly casual and crappy players. Basically Gold means you and your build can beat scrubs. Getting to the next two tiers has significantly better players and builds to get through. I am pretty sure on play skill alone a decent player could get Gold on a vanilla necro.

lol ty for your explanation and examples. I’d call myself a casual player aswell so I’m glad I’m much better than everyone else in my range

in Thief

Straegen.2938

Let me explain maths to you. Below 50% is below average, otherwise you’re above.

Got me there. Gold being the halfway point between crappy players and good players… guess you were beating the good players and losing to the crappy ones… wait… no… you were beating the crappy players and losing to the good ones… no wait… yeah I am clearly the moron here that needs “maths” explained to me.

Get to Legendary with the build and crow all you want. Even Platinum would at least show player skill or build meta worthiness. Gold just means the build has attained average-ness but doesn’t indicate exceptional player skill or a potential meta build. It is basically like saying the build works because you got third place over the guy that doesn’t really play much and the “special” cousin that keeps failing 3rd grade.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

You do you OP, don’t listen to the haters.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Revolutionen.5693

Got me there. Gold being the halfway point between crappy players and good players… guess you were beating the good players and losing to the crappy ones… wait… no… you were beating the crappy players and losing to the good ones… no wait… yeah I am clearly the moron here that needs “maths” explained to me.

Get to Legendary with the build and crow all you want. Even Platinum would at least show player skill or build meta worthiness. Gold just means the build has attained average-ness but doesn’t indicate exceptional player skill or a potential meta build. It is basically like saying the build works because you got third place over the guy that doesn’t really play much and the “special” cousin that keeps failing 3rd grade.

But your way of explaining maths is not rational. You thinking that 60% of all players are terrible or equivalent of mentally disabled cousins doesn’t prove kitten. Stop taking everything so seriously

in Thief

Straegen.2938

But your way of explaining maths is not rational. You thinking that 60% of all players are terrible or equivalent of mentally disabled cousins doesn’t prove kitten. Stop taking everything so seriously

What I am saying is that most of the good players are sitting at Legendary and Platinum playing other Legendary and Platinum players. Most of the try hards, don’t play much or up and coming players are at Gold or below. The pool of players is of shallow skill/play time by comparison to the players above. The only time a Gold sees those really good players/builds is when they go on a winning streak. Once a player moves up to Platinum and Legendary they are going to consistently see good players in good builds most of the time not half of the time or less.

Not knocking the build or the player and I doubt many on here are either. What is being pointed out is that a good player in a horrible build can get Gold (as in it can beat below average players most of the time and still lose to decent players most of the time) so we really don’t know right now if this build is actually performing well beyond consistently killing scrubs which as pointed out any number of sub-optimal builds can do.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in Thief

Posted by: Static.9841

Static.9841

I am in plat on alt account w/o HoT. AMA :P

Is that because Darais carried you? :p

[Zeus] Guild ~ Desolation. Not some silly muffin thing, stop stalking me Dhiania!