Larcenous Strike possible change

in Thief

Posted by: Stalefish.7615

Stalefish.7615

This skill makes the thief a boon stealer wich i really love! However i also love how most of the thief skills has to be used strategically and at the right moment, as this is not the case for Larcenous Strike (very spammable, no penalty for over use) I suggest the following:

make it so that it can steal 3 boons but cost 1 initiative for each condition stolen.

this would result in making this skill what i belive it was ment for. if only dealing dps this skill would be a bad choice, also if the opponent has only say regen and might this skill would also not be the best choice. however it would be an amazing choice still vs say a plauge form and a guardian with the protections and stability. I believe this change would be a change both nerfing AND actually making the thief S/D more fun.

what do you guys think?

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

That might work for a 1v1 thief but a PVE thief says no thank you.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

And low initiative traited non-boon theft thief says no as well.

I want to be able to use all skills on my weapon set, instead of just #2 #5 #1, the recent
1ini increase already made it hard to put in a FS>LS when needed.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

(edited by Ghostwolf.9863)

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

costs too much ini already

All is vain.

in Thief

Stalefish.7615

That might work for a 1v1 thief but a PVE thief says no thank you.

Making this post i did not consider PvE and neither can i since i am not even remotely interested in pve, so if this would be too big of a hit id suggest it as only spvp change!

And low initiative traited non-boon theft thief says no as well.

I want to be able to use all skills on my weapon set, instead of just #2 #5 #1, the recent
1ini increase already made it hard to put in a FS>LS when needed.

for a none boon none ini build prehaps this skill should be extremely situational since it is so powerful? But i get your point none the less. But considering the current meta, i still think a change like this is justified

in Thief

Stalefish.7615

Really? i mean.. really? My intentions is not to try and grind thief to the bottom cause im having trouble with them, i am trying to be constructive and change the ability rather than nerf it. please respond accordingly and stop infecting the forums

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

Really? i mean.. really? My intentions is not to try and grind thief to the bottom cause im having trouble with them, i am trying to be constructive and change the ability rather than nerf it. please respond accordingly and stop infecting the forums

you’re nerfing it…please go back to the elementalist forums. this skill was already nerfed in a previous patch increasing the initiative cost by 1.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

Really. 3x LS in row is hard paming lol. Beafore nerf LS 4x in row and after your “change” only 2x

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
OupĂ­ lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

Really. 3x LS in row is hard paming lol. Beafore nerf LS 4x in row and after your “change” only 2x

you can only use it 2x right now without investing heavily into acrobatics which is hardly spamming – after “change” only 1×. besides if you use it 2x, you’ll have no more initiative to stealth leaving the thief extremely vulnerable.

unlike warrior mace’s skullcrack which has 50%+ stun uptime, it has a unique animation and it’s very slow allowing for easy dodge. so it’s pretty much a L2P issue if someone doesn’t want to dodge the LS.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

why do non thieves pretend to be thieves then suggest changes that are bad for thieves? theives are in the bottom 2 of all classes. get real:P

LS is our answer for not being able to beat bunkers in SPVP…its SPVP only skill basically

in Thief

Travlane.5948

srry ur perception is skewed and biased. ANY thief skill can be use more than once in a row. so you could say that about every skill and nerf every skill. silly idea. plz think about the large picture and the base skill mechanics of the thief class. silly post.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Why does every thread that is some huge nerf disguised as “possible change” or “adjustment”?

No, please stop trying to get our class nerfed! S/d is a lot of spamming 3, does that mean it should be nerfed into oblivion and make it unusable? No!

Warriors just spam stuns in a row. Surely, according to your logic of brain dead play this should also be nerfed. How about d/d ele? That’s even more brain dead rotate through attunement a spamming whatever skills aren’t on cd, way more spammy than s/d. Lets nerf that too, right?

Your suggestion is as rediciulusly kitten as the above.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

This skill makes the thief a boon stealer wich i really love! However i also love how most of the thief skills has to be used strategically and at the right moment, as this is not the case for Larcenous Strike (very spammable, no penalty for over use) I suggest the following:

make it so that it can steal 3 boons but cost 1 initiative for each condition stolen.

this would result in making this skill what i belive it was ment for. if only dealing dps this skill would be a bad choice, also if the opponent has only say regen and might this skill would also not be the best choice. however it would be an amazing choice still vs say a plauge form and a guardian with the protections and stability. I believe this change would be a change both nerfing AND actually making the thief S/D more fun.

what do you guys think?

i also think it should cost 13 ini !

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Why does every thread that is some huge nerf disguised as “possible change” or “adjustment”?

No, please stop trying to get our class nerfed! S/d is a lot of spamming 3, does that mean it should be nerfed into oblivion and make it unusable? No!

Warriors just spam stuns in a row. Surely, according to your logic of brain dead play this should also be nerfed. How about d/d ele? That’s even more brain dead rotate through attunement a spamming whatever skills aren’t on cd, way more spammy than s/d. Lets nerf that too, right?

I Agree wholeheartedly. It’d almost to the point of hilarity with some of these “adjustment” suggestions – they’re usually so blatantly a nerf that you have to wonder which version of stupid the original poster is – do they honestly not understand how thief works to such a level that they made an obviously dumb suggestion, or do they have just enough low cunning to have convinced themselves that their nerf has been brilliantly disguised as a net-neutral “Change”.

“Hey guys, I’ve got a suggestion to change Shadow’s Embrace – how about instead of removing a condition every 3s in stealth, it instead makes stealth last 1 less second but gives you 20 extra power?”

Idiocy.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

Noone can be that stupid, so yea it’s really a nerf topic disguised as a suggestion topic.

Now I know apparently the S/D thief is quite high up in the tiers recently for tPvP (based on popular opinion), usually A or S tier (especially since we were B or C tier recently and haven’t gotten any relevant buffs since), but I can’t figure out why exactly. Larcenous strike can be easily dodged and it’s slow, FS/LS can’t be spammed like before, removing mass condis requires landing CND which can be dodged easily as well, the thief is squishy as hell and pretty much has to use a zerk amulet to do any damage. It’s just not very good in the current condi meta imo.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Noone can be that stupid, so yea it’s really a nerf topic disguised as a suggestion topic.

Now I know apparently the S/D thief is quite high up in the tiers recently for tPvP (based on popular opinion), usually A or S tier (especially since we were B or C tier recently and haven’t gotten any relevant buffs since), but I can’t figure out why exactly. Larcenous strike can be easily dodged and it’s slow, FS/LS can’t be spammed like before, removing mass condis requires landing CND which can be dodged easily as well, the thief is squishy as hell and pretty much has to use a zerk amulet to do any damage. It’s just not very good in the current condi meta imo.

You can’t just hit skills against an S/D thief whenever you want…you have to play with timing and skill – this annoys people for some reason. Lets also note that any latency on the server can make an S/D thief even more infuriating to fight.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

they pretend to be a thief wanted to help but in reality its a troll asking for nerf. L2P issues as always. sad isnt it?

in Thief

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

How do you guys think things would have looked if Flanking strike cost would be up-ed to 4 ini, with larcenous activating with 0 initiative cost IF flanking strike connects(I mean – deals dmg, not if it’s blocked/etc)?

in Thief

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

I’d suggest reverting the ini change and make it so you have to actually hit with Flanking Strike to get the chain skill. Would also kind of resolve the boonsteal-spamming.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I remember when no-one used S/D because of how unreliable flanking strike was and it’s lackluster damage, now it’s one of our best sets.

Anyway, I agree with most people here, don’t change it. S/D has a lot of good skills, if you just spam 3 over and over, you’re not using its full potential. Infil. Strike, C&D and the Auto Attack is pretty strong too. Dancing Dagger though, bleh.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

How do you guys think things would have looked if Flanking strike cost would be up-ed to 4 ini, with larcenous activating with 0 initiative cost IF flanking strike connects(I mean – deals dmg, not if it’s blocked/etc)?

well lets say you miss 2 in a row. dead thief standing. srry wont work. using 2 puts you at 4 init left which is generally saved for some defensive maneuver or finishing burst. if u miss 2 you do 0 dmg in total. atleast now people can dodge FS but not LS…we get SOME dmg. hence why they did this.