Learn to be good thief - assassin

in Thief

Posted by: Figerion.6159

Figerion.6159

Hi, I am Human Female Thief and I want to learn how to be deadly player in PvE and PvP.

I know that here on forum is a lot of informations about thief, but my english skill is not so good and my GW2 skill is worse – i just playing for 3 days and everything difficult for me.. I have some points, please answer me nice and easy and you can write more about things about i don’t know anything…

1. I would like to play with dual daggers and short bow – it looks nice for me! Can I be strong with those weapons in PvE and PvP?

2. I want to be invisible DPS – stealth+power(crit)bleeding/poison. It’s possible? Or how to play as thief effectively?

3. Which skills do you recommend to me? Acctualy I don’t know, what they doing.. O:)

4. I’m really lost with Traits. I don’t understand what they acctualy do. And which are really useful?

Please again – answer to me easy and nice! Don’t use shortcuts – I don’t understand to them!

Thank you!

in Thief

Posted by: nerovergil.5408

nerovergil.5408

Hi! I can help you a bit with traits

I think the best is 10 30 30 0 0

always get 30 on shadow arts, because you need that healing in stealth skills

dagger pistol is easier than dagger dagger because dagger dagger need to be traited, while you need that trait slot for other useful traits

Please take a look for details build.

With this build, your auto attack using short bow is strong, good for chasing enemy and zerg fight

If u not satisfied with your hp, just switch your trinket with Valkyrie trinket. But make sure critical chance is 50%-55%

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlUmaPHdy5E+5Ey2jeqC5JuHFlT1UaFoJA-jkCBYfDakgIQkFgEBYZmFRjtwpIas6aYKXER1WzDRziO1A-w

(edited by nerovergil.5408)

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Hey, welcome to the thief class!

PvP/WvW
Nerovergil’s advice for WvW is good, but I would advise looking at the build Yishis runs since it’s a D/D build that, personally, I think works better. His build is here:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-c;4RwkZ0J5R-Vd0;9;5TT9;225B35A0;3JNV4-F04m9fgm9fgm-FTF6-6-N_schVlWYXv21475230B-2c;5kV05NV05;9;9;9;9;86-6U
And you can see a video where he explains his gameplay here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEEYhovtwBo

If you use D/D in PvP, be sure to pick up the trait in the Shadow Arts tree that grants blindness on stealth since this will contribute to shutting down your enemies while also allowing you to land stomps against downed opponents that try to interrupt you.

Also, for anyone new to the thief class, I would highly recommend watching the below video, as it gives you a lot of little tips about the thief class for tricks that will make a big difference in your gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmrfBr1R5s

Additionally, there are a lot of good shortcuts that you can take in sPvP maps with the short bow when you use Infiltrator’s Arrow. I would highly recommend experimenting around on PvP maps with this and/or watching some videos that show how these work.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gw2+infiltrator%27s+arrow&sm=3

Another tip that I didn’t see in the tip video above is for getting strong burst when using D/D: When stealthed, cast Basilisk venom and move behind your enemy. Wait until your stealth is just about to wear out and cast Cloak and Dagger. If you time it right, you should land the attack after the stealth wears off on its own. This will prevent you from getting the revealed debuff and will allow you to immediately backstab.

PvE
The builds above are ok for PvE as well, but generally, you can go for more of a glass cannon build that focuses on damage since it’s easier to dodge predictable NPC attacks. Surviving on a thief is harder than probably any other class, so it may not be best to go for a full glass cannon build imediately, but ideally, a 25/30/0/0/15 (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAo4EBnLOpcORs9Yn6kn+HIrODa2SA) build with berserker gear (power/precision/crit damage) will allow you to contribute maximum damage to your group.

As for which skills are useful, here’s a list of some of the best skills for thieves in PvE and PvP along with a brief explanation of why they are good:

Shadowstep – Stunbreakers are crucial in PvP and this is one of the best. It not only can break stun twice (once when you port away and once when you port back), but it will also give you awesome mobility and more options when stomping enemies (see vid linked earlier). The condition cleanse is an added bonus.
Shadow Refuge – This skill ends up in most PvE and PvP builds because it’s incredibly useful for so many situations. You can prevent allies from getting stomped by stealthing them and then rezzing them, you can hide a group of allies past enemies, you can stealth yourself right before you die, then port away with your downed #2 skill to rez in stealth, you can get 2 stealth attacks in PvE with the right timing, and you can also use it to stealth for a stomp.
Signet of Agility – The overall versatility of this ability makes it pretty amazing, particularly in PvE. It can save you by cleansing conditions or simply giving you extra dodges and when you don’t need this, it will increase your dps by boosting your precision.
Blinding Powder – It’s a simple, on demand, instant stealth that costs no initiative and can be cast while stunned. This will also stealth allies that are very close to you.
Signet of Shadows – If you don’t have Runes of the Traveler, then this is a great way to get around quickly. However, it really shines while you’re leveling up since it just lets you get around faster.
Infiltrator’s Signet – The extra initiative passive is decent, but the active ability is a stunbreaker that will also port you to your target. As mentioned in the video, this is great for landing stomps against other thieves who port away while you’re in the middle of your stomp animation.
Shadow Trap – The long range on this makes it great for moving around in sPvP, such as when you need to get back to your team to help out in a fight. Outside of this, it has a few situations where it can be helpful, such as the Swamp fractal in Fractals of the Mists.
Assassin’s Signet – When you don’t need the utility of other skills, this is a great way to simply boost your dps. It can also be activated for some extra burst damage.

Anyways, I know this is a lot for one reply, but hopefully it helps. =)

in Thief

Figerion.6159

Wow, thank to you both! I need a little time to translate, understand and try. I am very grateful for the responses!

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a nice game.

Long live the thieves!

Edit: What does it mean the arrow from Shadowstep to Shadow Return?

(edited by Figerion.6159)

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

It means that if you cast Shadowstep, the skill will change into Shadow Return. In this case, that’s until 10 seconds are over or until you use the skill (Shadow Return); whichever happens first. After that, it will change back to Shadowstep and be on cooldown.

Edit: Merry christmas to you too!

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

Hmm, I’m not sure I understand what you are referring to. It’s probably one of two things:

1 – The arrow from the short bow skill Infiltrator’s Arrow

2 – The utility skill Shadowstep. Once you use this skill, it changes to Shadow Return

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

WvW perspective:

1. Yes
2. Power build (Power/Critical Damage)
3. Shadow Refuge, Shadowstep, Blinding Powder
4. 10/30/30/0/0 – Mug, Hidden Killer, Shadow’s Rejuvenation

in Thief

Posted by: pantsforbirds.9032

pantsforbirds.9032

This is my current wvw build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoaVlUmaPHdy5E+5Ey2jeqC5JuHFlT1UaFoJA-jkCBYfDakgIQkFgEBYZmFRjtwpIas6aYKXER1WzDRziO1A-w

I also make sure to carry an extra pistol so that i can swap to d/p if i run into a situation where it would do better (like against another d/p thief or a hammer warrior).

If you want to see some gameplay with it check out my stream! Twitch.tv/pantsforbirds, i will be streaming tonight for a little bit if you want to see some different thief playstyles.

Thief: Rand x Al Thor | Mesmer: Egwene x Alvere
Dragonbrand |Twitch: twitch.tv/pantsforbirds

in Thief

Figerion.6159

Aaaaa, ok it’s return to that place, thank you!

in Thief

Posted by: xcavars.5049

xcavars.5049

30/25/0/015 With full zerk gear and power foods. Youll average at 3.3-3.5 atk. With full stacks of bloodlust, wich i usually run, and 25 stacks of might, on a second set of dagger wich i switch to after i get full bloodlust, you can reach over 4k atk.

I run with trav runes, but scholar runes would be a better alternative for more dmg at the start of ur chain. Reason i run traveler runes is because theres a lot of running involved in WVW and I wanted to free up a space on my utility. I run shadowstep and either 2 venoms and 1 stealth or 2 stealths and 1 venom. Bask venom never leaves my bar beacuse its too valuable in certain situations. It can be used offensively and defensively.

The term assassin to me is to quickly kill and be out just as quick. My usual combo revolves around shadowstepping within 1500 range of my enemy and then steal, cnd backstab to bring them down below 50%. Because of the 30 in DA, i take PANIC STRIKE, wich immobs them allowing me to chain a full auto attack off. An important thing to note is a full chain of auto attacks takes up to 3seconds. As soon as u hit a full chain, hit CND and youll be just in time when ur reveal buff wears off. In PVE a full STEAL CND BACKSTAB is enough for most things, in WVW a light gear opponent or an uplevel will die to a stealcndback, a medium opponent will die to the full auto chain after and only the heaviest opponents require 2 backstabs and a few heartseekers.

If things go haywire and youre getting focused, blinding power up and hit shadowreturn. A lot of people play or have a thief these days or have a basic understanding of the class by now but one thing remains the same, they just auto attack you when ur in stealth and theyll auto attack the area around wich you stealthed. If u Powder up and shadowreturn you can walk away from most things and elave ur opponents running around swinging their swords.

My friend runs an alternative build to me going around 30/30/0/0/10 and we usually party together. He epitomizes 1 hit 1 kills, hes in and out faster then me. Usually we run in with a tank. healway guard or a good mesmer. We take two different roles, I have more init then him and can chain more skills together in a quicker time because of this. I can hit a few more cnd’s and heartseekers then he can, but i cant do as much dmg as he can to below 50% health opponents.

Have a good day, happy ganking

Characters:
Xcavars[End]~Carelinne Condoin[End]~Brianna Condoin[End]~Catrice Degaspi[End]~Tiarra Ferr[End]

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

4. I’m really lost with Traits. I don’t understand what they acctualy do. And which are really useful?

They usually give some extra, like boons, or boost something, or work like automatic skills. There is for instance a trait that grants the boon Vigor whenever you use a healing skill. There is a trait that will make you first attack from stealth always a critical hit (critical hits greatly increase damage). another trait will increase poison duration and another applies weakness to your foe whenever you poison them. There are many more and ideally they improve or work together with your gear, runes, sigils and utility skills.

List of thief traits

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

Do those infiltrator arrow movements still work? I swear I’ve tried some on those lowell videos and they don’t work for me anymore.

EDIT:

Nm, I’m dumb. You have to be at certain angles for it to work.

(edited by Lamuness.3570)

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

Do those infiltrator arrow movements still work? I swear I’ve tried some on those lowell videos and they don’t work for me anymore.

They nerfed some of them, but most of them still do. You can still do things like port into the clocktower by shooting it while standing in front, or get instantly to the treb after you just step out of the starting area, etc.