Looking for a good build for PvE leveling

in Thief

Posted by: ThidiasNoctum.2408

ThidiasNoctum.2408

Hello,
Now, i realize there is a post your build thread, but I’m trying to find a build to level with. If anyone could walk me threw step by step where and when to spend points, that would be great. If you could provide a link to a talent calculator to show where all the points will end up, then tell me at what levels to spend the points, I’d really appreciate it. I’d like to take down as many enemies as possible at once, and do decent damage while having survivability. I just hit level 5, I just got the game, and I’d like to level as quickly and painlessly as possible. Normally, I prefer melee weapons to ranged weapons, but IF ranged is a much better option for leveling or something, i might consider it. Thanks to anyone that takes time out to help me
~Thidias Noctum

in Thief

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

Hey Thief Community… I sent ThidiasNoctum a PM offering assistance. I don’t want people to start thinking I have a direct association with GW2GURU and the basic thief guide that I keep linking to. I hate to see a post in our forums go too long with <0> responses

in Thief

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

I leveled using d/d conditions and sped it up by fighting groups of enemies at once since the build relies mostly on AoE attacks.

This is quoted from a post I made several months ago on guru:
You can of course select a number of styles although if you’re interested in a condition build then I’d say that d/d is your friend. Conditions aren’t as useful in dungeons (the max stack of 25 isn’t that difficult to achieve so if you’ve got two bleed stackers in the group the damage will be considerably less) though but they are great for taking on mobs of higher level than you in normal PvE since, unless I’m mistaken, the glancing hits that are so common when fighting much higher level enemies don’t seem to affect condition damage.

I leveled my thief using a build similar to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYQQNAoYVlYmCO3dy8E95Eh/hvqzgmts7BXtqWB
and while leveling I went for trickery and acrobatics first, then filled out with deadly arts

The point of the build is to constantly keep moving and dodging through enemies so you drop caltrops on top of them in order to bleed and cripple. It’s made in order to take on groups of enemies so start of by using the short bow to pull some if they aren’t already near each other. I usually then start of with Choking gas to create a posion field and then about two Death Blossoms to apply both bleeds and prolong the duration of the poison. Follow up by a steal (once you’ve gotten the 5 point trait from trickery), using the skill Caltrops and another Death blossom. Depending on how much health the enemy have left you can often more or less just use dodges to avoid attacks and stack some more bleeding, if the mobs have lots of health left use Roll for initiative and use Death blossom a bit more.

If you find that the enemies die too slowly, which can happen if you’re up against higher level mobs, you can switch to short bow and kite them a bit.

Using this build I’ve easily been able to solo DEs more than 10 levels above my level. The conditions aren’t affected by the reduce damage and while you will probably die in one or two hits, the sheer amount of dodges and evades mean you won’t get hit very often. Keep an eye out for ranged mobs though and mobs that use PBAoE, you will need to learn their animations to know when to dodge. (New note: IIRC this has been changed a bit so enemies that are purple to you are now immune to your conditions most of the time. I recommend not going for enemies more than 10 levels above you)

Footnote: Withdraw can be changed for Signet of Malice if you want, the short CD is good for granting vigor and more dodges. Withdraw has the benefit of being an additional dodge while SoM gives you a bit of passive healing while in combat. I mostly only slot Hide in Shadows if I know I’m up against enemies that often apply conditions and Signet of Agility won’t be enough.
[/quote]