Low HP pool classes with no stability

in Thief

Posted by: Maestria of Strat.2974

Maestria of Strat.2974

When faced against a necro player with ultra condition damage, an hp pool of 15k is very low.
Couple this with no stability, makes almost for a perfect 1 shot down.
Aside from getting more vitality and going defensive, is there anything is a thief can do?
Or just run away and wait for the opportune moment, in wvw, to attack necros with fellow wvw’ers?

in Thief

Posted by: Vile.5678

Vile.5678

S/P is ridiculously good against the current meta of Necros. Coupled with S/D you can strip the boons and get back to pistol whipping them. Also using 2 (Shadow Return?), to remove 1 condition at a time is really strong. However, you really need a ton of initiative to support the playstyle. S/P is really good in general, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Warrior – Whrawl
Thief – Radderic
Mesmer – Smash Kablooey

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

You have to play smart and make them burn their alternate forms and fears while you hide and kite, then you can get an easy kill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgE5BJs0MQI

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Coupled with S/D you can strip the boons…

That actually can backfire when against a Necro. I learned that the hard way last night. Stripped the necro off of buffs, BAM, my buffs are now Conditions. >.<’

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

When faced against a necro player with ultra condition damage, an hp pool of 15k is very low.
Couple this with no stability, makes almost for a perfect 1 shot down.
Aside from getting more vitality and going defensive, is there anything is a thief can do?
Or just run away and wait for the opportune moment, in wvw, to attack necros with fellow wvw’ers?

Dodge, dodge and more dodge
avoid our marks, interrupt our heal and burst us down

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

You have to play smart and make them burn their alternate forms and fears while you hide and kite, then you can get an easy kill.

So the trick to beating them is to find a newb necro in wvw and after waiting out plague form heartseeker him at full health? kitten that necro was bad.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

wish.1027

So the trick to beating them is to find a newb necro in wvw and after waiting out plague form heartseeker him at full health? kitten that necro was bad.

Its funny how you have Thief at 80 and dont understand using HS as a gap closer. You gonna complain about the one I used where he was at full health and I didnt even hit him next?

Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I do fine against the necros in solo queue with s/d. Pain response in acrobatics seems to help a lot even though it’s hard to notice sometimes.

It’s much harder as d/p but you can keep blinds up pretty often and it’s important to get in a ton of damage when you use the stolen fear from them. Headshot/steal-daze interrupt their heal and obvious animations. Shadow Return removes 3 conditions on the utility, use it at a good time.

Keep weakness off yourself at all costs and boonsteal protection when they activate spectral armor.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

Good video. That thief looks like full zerk which makes even more interesting fighting necro.

I wasn’t aware that shadow return removed conditions.

Thanks for tip.

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

I do fine against the necros in solo queue with s/d. Pain response in acrobatics seems to help a lot even though it’s hard to notice sometimes.

It’s much harder as d/p but you can keep blinds up pretty often and it’s important to get in a ton of damage when you use the stolen fear from them. Headshot/steal-daze interrupt their heal and obvious animations. Shadow Return removes 3 conditions on the utility, use it at a good time.

Keep weakness off yourself at all costs and boonsteal protection when they activate spectral armor.

Thanks for info. It’s interesting. Seems S/D is a good option. However, you use D/P and the use of blinds with some timed attacks.

Now that I think about it I’ve faced two necros at once, which is impossible. My mistake. This is when I started realizing they are a hard class to beat. The really good ones don’t really die to thieves.

Also, does full zerk work well against them? Seems prone to 1 mistake down.

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Run DIRE or Carrion

> P/D

> Condition Food

> Spam stealth and caltrops

>???

> Profit!

in Thief

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

does daggerstorm not grant stability after an early cancel anymore?

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

dont forget thieves abilities are go in and out fast and they should tank dmg. so yes go in and out fast and look the right moment to strike

against condition necro the match is very hard if they play it right
so you must have 3 conditions clearness abilities like S2, shadow return, shadow embrace, signet of agility

as s/p dont shadow inside his wells and try to interrupt his skills use with P4 , than look for the right moment to strike and S2 and S3 . he will probably go DS so just dodge his DS4 and DS5 or use P5 , save initiative points for S2 as condition cleanse and to confuse him where your location is as his scepter/dagger can kill you in seconds
try to make him dodge twice and u can use steal S3 P5 and AA in seconds

as s/d again save initiative point for S2 and spam AA as your main dmg and use S3 to remove protection/stability and dodge a lot . if he goes plague i use S3 to take stability and use SB from range or just spam AA

again its 50%/50% against good condition necro 1v1

(edited by messiah.1908)

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

The thing is even if we did “focus” on Vitality we would only gain roughly 2k more health. And that really doesn’t help much considering how much damage and pressure you need to give up in the process.

With the amount of splash damage and AI minions running around you can drop dead within seconds without even being targeted. It’s a joke really.

I have no idea how ANet intended to balance things between one class having 40.000 effective health and high Toughness and the other having 15.000 health and low Toughness.

They should really normalize HP a bit more so they can focus on getting other things right.

in Thief

wish.1027

Good video. That thief looks like full zerk which makes even more interesting fighting necro.

Thanks for tip.

Its no where near full Berserker, lol. Im using a 10/30/30/0/0 setup with Soldiers Weapons, Hat, Body, Legs, Divinity runes, and everything else is Berserkers.

Math is your friend.

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

does daggerstorm not grant stability after an early cancel anymore?

Yes it does. This is one idea, once every 90 sec. I may have to use this, long cooldown though.

I use Basilik venom with rune of Lyssa, the problem is that once Feared it can’t be used to break “stun”.

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

Thanks for tip.

Its no where near full Berserker, lol. Im using a 10/30/30/0/0 setup with Soldiers Weapons, Hat, Body, Legs, Divinity runes, and everything else is Berserkers.

Interesting. I saw you did a couple of consecutive 4k hits. Must be coming from Divinity rune.

So you circumvent crowd control through shadow step…

Why toughness? If you are fighting a necro, what traits from toughness help there?

in Thief

Posted by: liefbread.9513

liefbread.9513

Thanks for tip.

Interesting. I saw you did a couple of consecutive 4k hits. Must be coming from Divinity rune.

So you circumvent crowd control through shadow step…

Why toughness? If you are fighting a necro, what traits from toughness help there?

He’s not building to be a ghost buster…. He’s building for WvW in general.

in Thief

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Necros have no stability, use S/P and stunlock them forever.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: jpersson.7368

jpersson.7368

You have gotten some good answers already. I run both classes and would like to add — as a necro fighting thiefs, it’s all about prediction to me. As a thief fighting necro:s, it’s about dodging and trying to be unpredictable.

If you ask me, unpredictability is thief turf, and you should always strive to fight on your turf.

Relax… nothing is under control

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

You just have to burst necro’s down. When they pop their survival cooldowns like plague, spectral armor+deathshroud, just stealth and reset fight.

Save shadowstep for big fears, try to dodge their staff attack(the one where he points the staff at you), thats the fear mark.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I see a lot of minionmancers lately, so I started using s/p more often. It cleaves, and its strong enough to kill most minons in 2-3 uses while nearly killing the necro. Now they can fear you but that’s what blind and stealth are for. If they chain fear you and start stacking conditons on you break stun and recover. If you can’t stealth condi clearing is quite limited on a thief :/

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

You can get good stability. You simply need to give up something else……like every other class.

OP’d thief, lol

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

Necros have no stability, use S/P and stunlock them forever.

They do have stability in alternate form if traited.

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

You can get good stability. You simply need to give up something else……like every other class.

How? Give up what?

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

You just have to burst necro’s down. When they pop their survival cooldowns like plague, spectral armor+deathshroud, just stealth and reset fight.

Save shadowstep for big fears, try to dodge their staff attack(the one where he points the staff at you), thats the fear mark.

I think bursting is key, which requires a bit high dmg and decent crit. Thanks for suggestion.

in Thief

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

“bursting” a class that might have 25k life and 3 life bars sounds funny
Not to mention the nearly 20 sec permablind for melee in plague form.

I think its extremely hard to fight a necro with thief.
You have to play rly smart and switch from melee to range and let the necro burn his cooldowns. Then you might have a chance to fight on equal ground.

in Thief

Maestria of Strat.2974

Hey All. Thanks for the tips. When I played tonight it was much different. The shadow return to remove conditions is really effective. I was missing this.

I think thief vs necro is very competitive.

in Thief

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

P/P with Lyssa runes (Basilisk) also works well against Necros. Usually 2x Unload will drop 90% of their non-form HP, and once they panic w/ Deathshrouds, they don’t have the option to fight.

“bursting” a class that might have 25k life and 3 life bars sounds funny

You’d be surprised at how easily a P/P build can burst most professions down — especially when you don’t need to be in melee range. Unload can effortlessly channel for 5-10k+ in <2 seconds, and be spammed consistently for quite some time. Against other thieves, it usually channels for 8-9k.

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Hey All. Thanks for the tips. When I played tonight it was much different. The shadow return to remove conditions is really effective. I was missing this.

I think thief vs necro is very competitive.

I play both, and it is a pretty even match-up right now.

Pre-Dire gear, I found I could kill good necros about 70% of the time, but the extra HP from dire makes them much harder, so its about 50/50 for me now. Fun fights for sure.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief