Make Larcenous 1 init. cost/steal 1 boon

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

any S/D + non S/D(ex. Shortbow) is not viable anymore in spvp or tpvp cuz of high init. cost of Larcenous strike or unless if you gonna go S/D+S/D. so most of the players now using S/P Shortbow cuz pistol whip dmg is really good with stunevade and 5init. cost is just fine! 1 pistol whip can kill a foe @ 70% hp… but LS 5 init. cost 1/2sec casting time is really hard to hit unless if u gonna spam it… but 1 FS+LS damage is almost 40%-50% lesser than the dmg of 1 pistol whip flurries.

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

iv tried everything on thief but this new meta necro torment with 3 fears, phantasm bunker mesmers with only have 4% crit chance but with their Phantasmal Fury trait every hit of their phantasms can do critical damage and many survival utilities!

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

You’ve tried everything?

Try my 10/0/0/30/30 build (if you like, run Zerker amulet and jewel, it works quite well too). I’ve played S/D + SB for ages and I’ve been hugely successful with this build.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

spirit way super bunker rangers with unlimited burn, protection caused by spirits and decent bleeds! kitten OP!, condition kiting engineers really hard to catch and their conditions are insane! every meta build of every class nowadays seems getting too OP except thieves..

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

and if u gonna recap the last 5v5 finals of Mist League between [TP] vs [CC], thieves has the poorest gameplay and poor capability in team clash (except shadow refuge+revive) and these are all skillful players

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

You’ve tried everything?

Try my 10/0/0/30/30 build (if you like, run Zerker amulet and jewel, it works quite well too). I’ve played S/D + SB for ages and I’ve been hugely successful with this build.

ya iv tried that build also but no shortbow… double S/D and with 3 init. on weapon swap trait. ya its good especially for boon dependent bunkers. but now im back to my old school build D/P + shortbow cuz i just learned how to do 4HS in black powder i can do it almost 80 – 90% everytime ima doin it! so addictive

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Pre-patch (when FS/LS was combined), FS used to strip 1 boon. Bunkers typically ate the 1 boon loss, and countered/dodged the Second swing (now called LS), because losing 1 boon was deemed less detrimental than dodging the big swing/countering it while the thief was open.

1 boon isn’t that much to a boon bunker, which LS was primarily designed to counter.

In addition, if you’re using a camera angle to short-change your HS to get 4 HS’s through 1 BP, you’re exploiting (IMO). Daniel Boon up there might disagree, but he doesn’t have much to back up his point other than “If you don’t believe me you’re an idiot and I won’t discuss anything further.”

What direction you angle your camera shouldn’t effect the distance your HS travels – it doesn’t effect other ranges, so why should it effect HS? Camera angle isn’t “Targeting”, because your character always performs actions in the direction they’re facing, regardless of camera angle. In addition, if it was an intended effect, it would always happen at a particular angle – as I’m sure you’re aware, it doesn’t.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I’m not a fan of S/D. I just don’t like spamming the same skills over and over in a particular rotation.

I like the 10/30/0/0/30 burst d/p + shortbow build.

I do agree that a lot of other classes are getting huge boosts and becoming very powerful and thief is either getting nerfed or get joke patches like “torment” and “heal on mug” crap.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

What direction you angle your camera shouldn’t effect the distance your HS travels – it doesn’t effect other ranges, so why should it effect HS? Camera angle isn’t “Targeting”, because your character always performs actions in the direction they’re facing, regardless of camera angle. In addition, if it was an intended effect, it would always happen at a particular angle – as I’m sure you’re aware, it doesn’t.

It’s not a bug, since you can target where your abilities should go using the right mouse button and your camera center, so targeting the ground that way is the same as targeting a player at close range which makes the leap finisher travel over a shorter distance. Thief is not alone with this.

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

any S/D + non S/D(ex. Shortbow) is not viable anymore in spvp or tpvp cuz of high init. cost of Larcenous strike or unless if you gonna go S/D+S/D. so most of the players now using S/P Shortbow cuz pistol whip dmg is really good with stunevade and 5init. cost is just fine! 1 pistol whip can kill a foe @ 70% hp… but LS 5 init. cost 1/2sec casting time is really hard to hit unless if u gonna spam it… but 1 FS+LS damage is almost 40%-50% lesser than the dmg of 1 pistol whip flurries.

There is really no chance S/D is going to see a buff anytime soon. It is the current strongest tPvP thief weapon set and is the most complained about,

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

No thanks, I prefer it the way it is.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

“So most of the players now using S/P Shortbow cuz pistol whip dmg is really good with stunevade and 5init”
Was pretty sure that less than a week ago a lot of posts were still being made in several topics about how useless pistol whip is (Which I disagree with, but saying “most players” seems pretty wrong knowing that)

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

It’s not a bug, since you can target where your abilities should go using the right mouse button and your camera center, so targeting the ground that way is the same as targeting a player at close range which makes the leap finisher travel over a shorter distance. Thief is not alone with this.

If you were targeting the ground, why would your other ranges be unaffected? It doesn’t effect other ranges, why only leaps? In addition, it’s inconsistent. You can angle your camera in such a way that your leap goes a reduced distance…then, without moving or touching your camera in the slightest, your very next leap will go full distance. If you were aiming with your camera, you should get consistent results – perhaps it does work as you suggest, and Anet has taken over a year to fix the issue (that wouldn’t be new for Anet), but I’m still convinced it’s a bug.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Who cares if bp+hs 4x is a bug or not? It’s not a big deal. It’s not like this is allowing thieves to dominate or anything…

Anet is responsible for fixing this stuff, like the jumping bug. Spam jump enough you could scale a wall. They fixed it because it was clearly a bug.

Submit your bug to the bug forums and wait. End of story.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

FS/LS needs to be made better, not more spammable. It’s already being spammed as is and we have a bad reputation of doing mindless “3” spam.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

No, Flanking Strike is in a good place right now. (IMHO)

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

If you were targeting the ground, why would your other ranges be unaffected? It doesn’t effect other ranges, why only leaps? In addition, it’s inconsistent. You can angle your camera in such a way that your leap goes a reduced distance…then, without moving or touching your camera in the slightest, your very next leap will go full distance. If you were aiming with your camera, you should get consistent results – perhaps it does work as you suggest, and Anet has taken over a year to fix the issue (that wouldn’t be new for Anet), but I’m still convinced it’s a bug.

FYI, it is actually possible to chain 5 HS in a BP, but you need to be facing a corner like this → _|
Not that this is in any way relevant to the topic at hand; still, I don’t consider this an exploit at all.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

i think PW needs to be nerfed again !!!
shortbow too

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

FS/LS needs to be made better, not more spammable. It’s already being spammed as is and we have a bad reputation of doing mindless “3” spam.

We have to ignore the Reputation – people still cry about HS spam from time to time. Mindless FS/LS spam is exactly as effective as mindless HS Spam – it’s useless. Used at the right time, however, both can be very effective.

LS is fine at 2 initiative – it does a lot. I’d prefer to see FS remain3 init, and return 1 Init on hit.

What really needs to be looked at is base thief initiative regen. Thieves need better base init regen, and the traits that affect initiative regen need to be adjusted accordingly. Thieves should have something similiar to every other classes “% Faster CD and additional effect” based on wielded weapon.

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

What other ranges are you talking about?

All ranged skills can be free-aimed on the ground, which reduces the distance they travel since they hit the ground, same with non ground targeted leapfinishers, however, leaps causes the character to enter a fixed animation which resets other animations including aim, so with a bit of lag or early press the 2nd leap can go straight forward and full distance since it’s using the reset aim that the leap animation set, and follows the characters direction no matter where you point the screen, this would be the real bug if something is a bug. :p

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

We have to ignore the Reputation – people still cry about HS spam from time to time. Mindless FS/LS spam is exactly as effective as mindless HS Spam – it’s useless. Used at the right time, however, both can be very effective.

LS is fine at 2 initiative – it does a lot. I’d prefer to see FS remain3 init, and return 1 Init on hit.

What really needs to be looked at is base thief initiative regen. Thieves need better base init regen, and the traits that affect initiative regen need to be adjusted accordingly. Thieves should have something similiar to every other classes “% Faster CD and additional effect” based on wielded weapon.

u have a good point there bro! return 1 init on hit!

in Thief

Coloxeus.3480

well i use to spam 33 , 33 when my target evaded twice that means hes now lack of endurance for another evade so…. that wud makes sense. but my usual combo is pre cast FS then Steal/Infiltrator’s Signet+ LS (with basilisk stone) as opener then while hes stoned another FS>LS

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

All ranged skills can be free-aimed on the ground, which reduces the distance they travel since they hit the ground, same with non ground targeted leapfinishers, however, leaps causes the character to enter a fixed animation which resets other animations including aim, so with a bit of lag or early press the 2nd leap can go straight forward and full distance since it’s using the reset aim that the leap animation set, and follows the characters direction no matter where you point the screen, this would be the real bug if something is a bug. :p

4 HS is not a bug or exploit.

Very easy to do once you master (of course when you are in a free enemy area).

Saying this is an exploit is like saying that precast CnD + Steal + BS is a bug also.

in Thief

evilapprentice.6379

Yup, you’re right. Did some more testing with Shbow, and even though the results are inconsistent, it points to what your saying (the attack should be going towards the ground and its not), rather than what I was saying.

My apologies to Daniel Boon (Arg), and others. Thanks for clarifying this for me.