Mesmer Vs. Thief - Need help picking a main

in Thief

Posted by: fishkid.6145

fishkid.6145

Alright here is the deal I really like both those classes but I am having trouble picking one for a main. I was wandering if I could here from veteran player reasons for me to pick a mesmer or thief. I honestly cannot just make up my mind.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

They’re both very capable professions. What it comes down to for me is this choice: do you want to be the one doing all the damage or do you like having a sizable amount of your dps coming from clones/phantasms?

Besides that decision, both classes have stealth and can generally disorient opponents when played well. Thieves can chase down enemies (and escape) much better than mesmers… that was big for me.

I have a fully geared thief and mesmer but I haven’t played my mesmer in weeks. It just doesn’t feel as good to me (I’ve seen amazing mesmers but I’m not one of them).

Good luck with your choice and know either way you’ll have a fun character to play.

Edit: my post was from a pvp/wvw perspective. For pve they’re both fun and capable although the mesmer is probably better at it. Shortbow is awesome on thief… if you don’t like it then maybe mesmer might be more fun?

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

(edited by Hype.8032)

in Thief

Posted by: itamar.4690

itamar.4690

mesmers are more wanted overall in PVE, and for pvp depends on the situation
in the end its allways what you rather play

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

mesmers are more wanted overall in PVE, and for pvp depends on the situation
in the end its allways what you rather play

+1

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Human Thief girls have cuter clothes, go with that.

Attachments:

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Engineer of course.

Okay fine, I leave.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Depends on what you want to do and your group comp. In general though…

WvW… If it’s scouting yak ganking etc… then thief.

Group play/support Mesmer.

Both can do roaming very well.

PvE Mesmer is generally prefered unless there is already one in the party.

Human Thief girls have cuter clothes, go with that.

I disagree… cloth has some great looks. Far fewer trench-coats. Human T3/CoE top/wingged/arah shoulders…. it’s far more flexible and easy to mix and match.

Engineer of course.

+1,001

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

in Thief

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

I’ve basically made an identical thread to this also, as this is the problem I have come up with.

Are Thieves still wanted to a reasonable extent in PvE or are they just not wanted at all? I don’t do much high(ish) level dungeon stuff so I don’t really know…

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

thing is that majority of the population believes all thieves to be no-skill dead-brain cannon fodder that dies from one hit of everything.
Truth is actually that thieves have THE BEST single target dps and capabilities of making content almost infinitely easier (blind bots and stealth running/ressing).
So for a thief you will have to find a solid group of people to who you will be able to proove your worth as a thief. And then they will love you.
If anet didn’t nerf underwater thief or didn’t give dredge immunity to blind (plus if we didn’t have such a bad reputation and maybe a bit more health) thief would have been a must have party member for any pve content.
You know, the only reason thieves are not soloing everything is because they lack reliable heals.
Oh and. If you roll a thief and plan to go far in pve, you’d better become a god of dodging. Or you’ll hate your downed state and people will hate you.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Mesmers use Greatswords to shoot pew-pew lasers from instead of actually swinging them. Something that stupid does not deserve to live.
Go Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

Mesmers use Greatswords to shoot pew-pew lasers from instead of actually swinging them. Something that stupid does not deserve to live.
Go Thief.

Ow…

That being said mesmers have more “dungeon utility” they have more team support abilities without comprimising their own dps.

That being said thief hatred in pugs have been going down as of late I think, and thief is a a lot more fun to play.

Most importantly, you dont have purple and pink flashing all over your screen as a thief, goodlord that’s irritating after a while…

in Thief

The Baws.5164

What gear would you say I should get as a starter level 80 Exotic set off of the Trading Post? (Preferably not too expensive). I got my Thief to 80 but I have stuff like level 36 Accessories rofl, and I can’t really get my head around where to start.

After playing on my thief I’ve realised it’s obvious that I want to main him. All other classes feel so slow and boring in comparison.

Also what armour sets look good in Medium (Sylvari BTW)?

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

(edited by The Baws.5164)

in Thief

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

If you’re looking to see who would win in a duel, there’s pretty much nothing a thief can do against a good phantasm mesmer. Stealth is useless…even dangerous since the phantasms will burst you as soon as you get revealed and they’re AI so they don’t need to find you or target you first.

Your only hope is to kill the mesmer before they turn out two phantasms. In other words, within 5 seconds. Not gonna happen if the mes knows what he’s doing.

in Thief

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

Best way to decide what armor looks best is to go to PvP (the crossed swords on the top of the screen) and go towards the back where they have the “PvP lockers.”

You’ll find almost every gear available in the game (and some thats not allowed in PvE for some reason), you can right click on every armor and preview it. Exception to this rule is the cultural armor, which you can preview on your own where ever the cultural armor for your race is sold.

@ Baws, if you’re looking for cheap stuff you should either craft them yourself by gathering or buying the necessary mats, or get the mats and ask your guild if anyone has level 400 leather crafting and level 400 jewelcrafting. The gw2 community is quite generous and most guildmates will make what you want if you give them the stuff.

As per WHAT to get it depends on what you want and how you want to play, commonly thieves go for full zerker gear because they like to live on the edge, kill things fast or die trying. Takes a little getting used to but defn a fun playstyle, more viable than the condi variant in PvE (or at least PvE dungeons).

P/D thief is quite common in wvw however (this is the condi bleed thief) and for this you either want carrion or rabid gear (although I never ran this build, so someone else can speak for its pros/cons/gear specs).

Don’t run condi thief in PvE dungeons, if there is another condi class in the team (i.e. bleed ranger, necro) both of you cancel each other out since bleed stack is 25 max. Conversely if you just want to roam and arent interested in dungeons or fractals condi thief does really well due to high survivability.

Unfortunately the cliche “do what you want to do” applies, there is no one “thing” thats a one size fits all in this game.

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

You can preview cultural armor in the PvP locker.
I have no idea how you actually get it in PvP, though.

in Thief

Posted by: Darksidhe.6740

Darksidhe.6740

Level the mesmer..learn it.
Then do the thief..all bases are covered, PvE, WvW, SPvP.
Plus you’ll KNOW all the tricks of the two most annoying classes in the game.

in Thief

The Baws.5164

I’ve come back to this yet again…

Grr… Mesmer seems so awesome but so does Thief. Do they both have a similar Skill Ceiling?

So this is exactly what I want to do – Do loads of Fractals, get the back piece and as much Ascended gear as possible, then do a bunch of Arah to get the armor skins that I want, then go Roam in WvW by myself or with a Thief friend of mine.

Which proff would you say would be better for those things? I honestly find both classes really fun, like the long range sniping and AoE of Mesmers as well as the stealth of Thieves.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

(edited by The Baws.5164)

in Thief

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Well, thief is stronger at roaming and can kill more foes alone than a mesmer, however thief got 2 counters, Tanky condtion engineers, and d/d eles. of course you can beat these but then you will often end up having 15 + minute duels if you are skilled. mesmer is more versatile at all sitations, but isnt as strong as thief in general roaming. as a general thief backstab takes 40-70 % hp on a foe for a roaming build.

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

in Thief

Posted by: Sunshine.3415

Sunshine.3415

WvW with 2 thieves is a lot of fun! In GW1 I was a Mesmer all the way but they just don’t feel as fun for me as a thief.

Scrap whatever thoughts on “will I be accepted in parties if I am X?” or “what class is the most efficient at X?” now as that isn’t what makes playing a class fun. Fun is what you need to consider if you are having a main!