Mug and Pulmonary Impact needs to crit!

in Thief

Posted by: Silverbolt.2301

Silverbolt.2301

This is not 2012 anymore; compared to what other classes have now…this is one of the dumbest things.

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Yup, its like not letting Mesmer Mindwrack crit.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

That would be extremely OP when you can go /p and just spam head shots.

in Thief

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

Considering you must trait for it, spend plenty of initiative per Headshot, and hope your enemy has no stability and/or further trait for some reliability against stability spam by investing in Bountiful Theft over Trickster in a build without Escapist’s Absolution (rendering you extremely vulnerable to conditions) I’d say it really isn’t that overpowered of a concept at all.

in Thief

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Considering you must trait for it, spend plenty of initiative per Headshot, and hope your enemy has no stability and/or further trait for some reliability against stability spam by investing in Bountiful Theft over Trickster in a build without Escapist’s Absolution (rendering you extremely vulnerable to conditions) I’d say it really isn’t that overpowered of a concept at all.

Not to mention you actually have to interrupt a move, not just randomly daze.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in Thief

Azukas.1426

Bountiful theft removes stab 21st so it’s always an interrupt.

Having that much damage on a,interrupt spamming class is,broken

in Thief

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

yes that’s the point of Bountiful Theft. Thanks for the analysis.

You do realize that most forms of stability are now recurring or repeatedly accessible so ripping stability once doesn’t mean nearly as much as you think it does, right?

Also, just ignoring all other points of contention that I’ve brought up and just stating something as if it were fact without any explanation is completely worthless. Save your breath if you don’t intend to actually flesh out your viewpoint with any form of supporting argument, as you will be ignored.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I’ve gotten up to 5.5k in PvP without it critting. From general play it feels like the multiplier is somewhere between 2.25-2.5. If it crit it would be like firing a backstab. It’s already great for high power, low crit builds. Giving it the ability to crit would mean lowering multiplier, limiting its usefulness in different builds.

No thanks.

Edit: Testing the trait out in a soldier build. This was pretty much the second game with it and the first time playing D/P in over 6 months so the gameplay is sloppy, but it hits plenty hard already.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

We don’t lack raw damage.

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

What I read is what my thoughts are (which means we all agree?):

Pulmonary should not crit.
Mug should crit.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in Thief

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

Lol what class isn’t broken in this gahd awful system they have. I mean seriously, u don’t think DH traps are cheesy as hell?!

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Pulm already does enough damage

Steal is basically a 2k lifesteal so it balances out lack of damage

no

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

@Alch:
I noticed that every line EXCEPT Critical Strikes offers something for Steal. What if the Steal buff that came from Crit Strikes line critically hit?

It’d be a trade off. No one really takes that vuln on crit trait (seriously, why would you?) so maybe stick it there? I’d place it as an ability that hits for 1/3 of the value of pulmonary impact at 4 hits total to achieve that value with the capability to crit?

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Lol what class isn’t broken in this gahd awful system they have. I mean seriously, u don’t think DH traps are cheesy as hell?!

Just because something is broken that doesn’t mean you have to go and add to the pile to make things “fair”

in Thief

Azukas.1426

yes that’s the point of Bountiful Theft. Thanks for the analysis.

You do realize that most forms of stability are now recurring or repeatedly accessible so ripping stability once doesn’t mean nearly as much as you think it does, right?

Also, just ignoring all other points of contention that I’ve brought up and just stating something as if it were fact without any explanation is completely worthless. Save your breath if you don’t intend to actually flesh out your viewpoint with any form of supporting argument, as you will be ignored.

Your looking at 4-6k damage per impact with another 4-6k mug.

Now imagine this opening of just dodge then steal. That is bound damage, mug damage, and PI damage. Since your wearing marauders and using signet of agility along with thrill of the crime your looking at 4k+4k+5K damage without spending a single point of initiative.

You can then follow up with headshot multiple times to stop the heal. Totally not broken huh?

in Thief

Posted by: Seiroxena.6350

Seiroxena.6350

I agree they need to crit… Why would some skills crit but not some other skills being traited that make us relevant still ?
I don’t get it anet.
Removing crit from a thief is like removing clones from a mesmer. But hey i guess you don’t want that do you ?
What is lame is to see that most of people posting on thieves threads and say “hey thief is fine” never actually tried competitive pvp against high end players that have decent builds.
God i wish i had 4k+4k+5k like mentionned above. But hey that does not work like that. You forget about counterplays and the huge amount of CC that everyone now has that can outplay thief easly.
Hint : Ctrl + T

in Thief

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Pul base damage is too high to have crit I think.
(undodgeable crit vault damage seem a bit too much for me)

Mug I only use for heal anyway so I don’t care :/ .

Up to dev..

in Thief

Seiroxena.6350

Pul base damage is too high to have crit I think.
(undodgeable crit vault damage seem a bit too much for me)

Mug I only use for heal anyway so I don’t care :/ .

Up to dev..

Do you even play the game ? Vault is dodgeable.

in Thief

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Do you even play the game ? Vault is dodgeable.

I mean pul base damage is pretty close to vault. If it can crit it can be like undodgeable vault//assume that you get hit by a thing that cause it.

That’s what I mean. No need to be that offensive :/ .

in Thief

Seiroxena.6350

I’m not being offensive there is nothing more frustrating to see such threads to be honnest because critical chance affects all the HITTING abilities so why pulm should be left over ? Just because it has the same base damage than vault ? And then ? Remove Vault ? Seriously…

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

@Alch:
I noticed that every line EXCEPT Critical Strikes offers something for Steal. What if the Steal buff that came from Crit Strikes line critically hit?

It’d be a trade off. No one really takes that vuln on crit trait (seriously, why would you?) so maybe stick it there? I’d place it as an ability that hits for 1/3 of the value of pulmonary impact at 4 hits total to achieve that value with the capability to crit?

I’m confused. Are you saying basically adding a mug-like ability that can crit? Either way I’m down for buffing Critical Strikes, it needs some love.

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

I agree Pulmonary Impact should crit, but was balanced around the fact that it won’t crit, and it deals relatively consistent damage as opposed to if it were weaker but could crit - sometimes it might hit less, and others it might hit higher. If they made it possible to crit, the base damage coefficient would be reduced so it hits somewhere between bound and power block. While it would be a potential buff to power builds because it would have a <your crit chance> chance of dealing more damage, it wouldn’t be as big a difference considering the base reduction, and it would be a nerf to anyone not running a power build because they wouldn’t have precision and ferocity. Not that I like condi builds on thief, but who am I to argue against some build diversity or seek to nerf builds others might enjoy.

Mug should also crit. It might take a slight damage reduction too for it. It would need to be tested.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

These two skills shouldn’t crit.

In its current iteration, I could land 10k mugs easily. Closer to 15k in WvW. That’s broken. Allowing crits for more damage would have to justify nerfing the skill heavily, likely by removing the heal. No thanks, I’ll take the heal for sustaining which we already lack and the fact the class itself doesn’t need more front-loaded damage.

Actually, the whole game currently has a lot of it. I think most of the nukes elsewhere need to be toned down.

Impact could at a lower coefficient, but why do that when its crits would have to be close to the value currently used? Without substantial reductions, two easily-landed interrupts from headshot spam could kill pretty much anything. No thanks.

CS/crits don’t need buffs by promoting more damage but giving the thief usable utility. Currently the necessary utility is in other lines which boot CS out of the equation for viability. Cover something slightly like condition cleansing which SA and DD have, and you end up with a trait line that’s somewhat reasonable to use rather than just a worse-damage DA because “crits are stronger”.

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i agree with mug critting i disagree with Pulmonary Impact critting unless pulmonary dmg was dramatically nerf..

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Just because something is broken that doesn’t mean you have to go and add to the pile to make things “fair”

If everything is broken, then everything is more or less balanced. Letting one thing suffer because “its the right thing to do” isn’t an excuse nor does it excuse bad design.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

@Alch:

I’m confused. Are you saying basically adding a mug-like ability that can crit? Either way I’m down for buffing Critical Strikes, it needs some love.

Like this (these numbers are with 2200 power):
Crossed Shadows- jab your 4 times in the blink of an eye and causing them to be more vulnerable for a brief time. If any of the jabs critically strike, they do 25% more damage.
Damage(4x): 600 {For reference mug is at 1,173}
Vulnerability(5 stacks per hit): 5 seconds

Each hit does 150 damage, inflicts 5 stacks of vulnerability, and can crit. I personally feel this might be a little weak, but I’m sure others will think it is too strong.
Thoughts on this swapping with Sundering Strikes?

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If everything is broken, then everything is more or less balanced. Letting one thing suffer because “its the right thing to do” isn’t an excuse nor does it excuse bad design.

Not really sure whether or not you’re supporting the notion of completely breaking Mug and PI.

Everything being overpowered is only “fair” when truly everything is overpowered, including defensive options, and this model is not sustainable for growth, either.

Since that part clearly isn’t… upping damage and making the scaling problem worse will not do anything.

A lot of skills and abilities across multiple professions need toning downwards, and sPvP needs a better amulet system for customizing builds. As it is, stats cap at like 3/4 what you can get in PvE in exotic gear without food or anything. Upping coefficients to compensate is a horrible idea.

in Thief

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

No, they really dont. Giving a high burst class more damage isnt going to solve any problems only create new ones. If you reply in QQ form and say that other classes get high burst then you dont have any understanding of balance.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

No, they really dont. Giving a high burst class more damage isnt going to solve any problems only create new ones. If you reply in QQ form and say that other classes get high burst then you dont have any understanding of balance.

You don’t need an understanding of balance to know that there are multiple high sustain classes in this game that are just as capable of dealing as much, if not more damage, than the thief profession. Hell, most have more DPS than thief can pump out. No amount of “agree with me or you’re an idiot” shielding is going to change that.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

You don’t need an understanding of balance to know that there are multiple high sustain classes in this game that are just as capable of dealing as much, if not more damage, than the thief profession. Hell, most have more DPS than thief can pump out. No amount of “agree with me or you’re an idiot” shielding is going to change that.

One thing though is that with high multiplier, only non-crit damage, it encourages you to put more points in non-crit stats. Daredevil has a theme that’s flat damage increases which promotes less crit oriented builds. Combined with rune of the Daredevil, you can get guaranteed crits on certain attacks with high power builds using Valkyrie’s or soldier’s amulet that forego the use of precision in stats. Pulmonary impact pairs well with that theme.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

People focusing on PI and not Mug. Anyone notice that PI is bugged and does not restore endurance despite the Brawler’s Tenacity trait and it clearly stating “Physical”? No. Ok, I’ma move on.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

People focusing on PI and not Mug. Anyone notice that PI is bugged and does not restore endurance despite the Brawler’s Tenacity trait and it clearly stating “Physical”? No. Ok, I’ma move on.

I don’t think PI is a physical utility. It’s a triggered trait. If mug didn’t also heal, we might be talking more about it, but it’s decently balanced.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

No but the skillfact says it is so. And I am very for mug critting or at least doing more damage as well as my idea for the new steal trait for Crit Strikes- mainly because Crit is the only line without a benefit for steal.

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

No but the skillfact says it is so. And I am very for mug critting or at least doing more damage as well as my idea for the new steal trait for Crit Strikes- mainly because Crit is the only line without a benefit for steal.

Probably for the same reason that rollover skills don’t add endurance. Crit strikes could use some help, but another steal trait isn’t the way to go. I’d like to see some stuff like destroying boons on crits with an ICD or stealing endurance on crits with an ICD. In fact the whole top tier could use some D/D style reworks with some crit modifiers that are offensive, defensive, and utilitarian.

Edit: I.E: moving HK down a tier and having a trait that steals a boon and 10 endurance on an 8 sec ICD. That would result in health gain on crit, utility on crit, or extra damage while critting. Also the GM minor should be changed too. Maybe a quickness buff that triggers off of fury? The one there is too situational and completely overshadowed by the DA GM minor.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I don’t think an undodgeable attack should crit, so no for pulmonary.

I am 60/40 in favor of not having mug crit because that’s almost an instant attack too, and with that being able to proc crit sigils, thieves would go right back to instagib from stealth and everyone would cry about us again.

Maybe if the mug has its damage buffed flatly or altered crit rate for a couple seconds on success, It would be okay.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in Thief

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

I’d rather see our damage be less determined by traits tbh. We have to stack % damage modifiers to get damage that’s still below what other classes can achieve, if we had less modifiers and higher base damage values on skills (so the damage we do in full zerk stays roughly the same, if not a little higher to be competitive) we could be in a position to use soldier and cele amulets in PvP and also deal reasonable damage. This imo would leave us in a better position than going back to instagib builds.

Besides, I can already hit 3-4k on PI against glass mesmers on a pistol whip marauder/cavalier build. Making mug and PI crit would turn that into a 1800 range instagib combo, which would be plain dumb on a stealthless tanky thief lol.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

If anything, thieves need a reliable access to stability and not that pathetic attempt they gave us in the acro line pre HoT.

Will it help with the overall balance between professions, that’s debatable.

in Thief

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

I am 60/40 in favor of not having mug crit because that’s almost an instant attack too, and with that being able to proc crit sigils, thieves would go right back to instagib from stealth and everyone would cry about us again.

Maybe if the mug has its damage buffed flatly or altered crit rate for a couple seconds on success, It would be okay.

Undodgeable? You literally have to be interrupted doing something for it to proc. Maybe stop auto-ing the air? Just an idea. eyeroll

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

If you balance by that logic you’ll be sending your game into a spiral of power-creep where the power levels will never settle on an even ground, something more broken will always take the most broken things place, and it will only increase the power-levels and eventually everything will go to kitten.

The game is already on this path, and spoiler-warning, it won’t be healthy for the PvE nor the PvP community. Both lose out.

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Heres a thought. Turn Mug into a pure lifesteal , that is if one heals for 2600 one hits for 2600 and allow the skill to be modified by the heal or power attribute or combination of the same .

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

If you balance by that logic you’ll be sending your game into a spiral of power-creep where the power levels will never settle on an even ground, something more broken will always take the most broken things place, and it will only increase the power-levels and eventually everything will go to kitten.

The game is already on this path, and spoiler-warning, it won’t be healthy for the PvE nor the PvP community. Both lose out.

Exaggeration. Also I don’t think you know what “power creep” actually is. Its power creep when new content makes old content obsolete like ascended armor and elite specs. It isn’t power creep when you buff new content to be on par with the rest of the new content that came with it.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

TwiceDead.1963

Exaggeration. Also I don’t think you know what “power creep” actually is. Its power creep when new content makes old content obsolete like ascended armor and elite specs. It isn’t power creep when you buff new content to be on par with the rest of the new content that came with it.

The point remains the same, and since you’re not calling me out on my point and instead decide to focus on semantics, I assume you have nothing to actually counter with. GG.

(edited by TwiceDead.1963)

in Thief

Posted by: Gibimo.2193

Gibimo.2193

There is no point for thief is going to be OP
We got plenty of OP class already like DH, Chrono, Druid, Reaper etc
just except for thief and warrior.
So it can actually call balance which you can see everything is already OP

(edited by Gibimo.2193)

in Thief

Gibimo.2193

and there is no perfect balance but at least should try something, everything.
Balance is just starting from there, if we do nothing just because that something is likely to be OP, then we will struggled in broken states forever because of that cowardness

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

Still want my steal idea implemented. Shamelessly pushing attention to my previous comments…

in Thief

Gibimo.2193

It’s rediculous that one of the weakest class took so much care about ‘balance’
which is definitely not going to be OP cause of single buff.
It’s like a beggar care about Warren Buffett.
Took off your mask of personas you thief haters

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

The point remains the same, and since you’re not calling me out on my point and instead decide to focus on semantics, I assume you have nothing to actually counter with. GG.

It isn’t semantics. Your whole point rides on “power creep” and you unfortunately used it wrong making your entire statement null. How can I counter a point when there is no point?

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Undodgeable? You literally have to be interrupted doing something for it to proc. Maybe stop auto-ing the air? Just an idea. eyeroll

channel skills are interruptible by mug when traited to daze. you’d literally be force-feeding people unavoidable damage by accident much of the time during rotation.

Damage that can crit and pop sigils.

While I’m sure this would be outstanding on people spamming invuls to get dps spiked mid invuln that’s top-quality crybait.

Heres a thought. Turn Mug into a pure lifesteal , that is if one heals for 2600 one hits for 2600 and allow the skill to be modified by the heal or power attribute or combination of the same .

I’m okay with this, if there was consideration given to mugging someone damage immune.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

If everything is broken, then everything is more or less balanced.

And that’s called…
Balance through chaos…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

channel skills are interruptible by mug when traited to daze. you’d literally be force-feeding people unavoidable damage by accident much of the time during rotation.

Damage that can crit and pop sigils.

While I’m sure this would be outstanding on people spamming invuls to get dps spiked mid invuln that’s top-quality crybait.

I’m okay with this, if there was consideration given to mugging someone damage immune.

I would also be ok with it as a lifesteal. That way it would be independent of power.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele