My Apology to all Thieves!

in Thief

Posted by: Will.4165

Will.4165

I am officially apologizing to every thief, forum members and my server. I have created several post of shame mainly against the thief because I got owned by a couple of high skilled players and immediately got butt hurt. This was unacceptable behavior and for that I am extremely sorry. I am sure a lot of skills in this game need to be toned down or changed but that is not for me to decide, and complaining on the forums about it only lowers the quality of the community. The reason behind my post was to help alleviate the anger I had at the state of the necro class compared to the thief as the necro was my first level 80. Once I hit 80 I farmed my exotic gear and hit the WvW with my engineer friend. Up until this point I was blissfully unaware of the state of my class vs. other classes like the thief. So finding myself laying face down in the dirty over and over again by the same class was extremely frustrating. Then whenever we found a thief solo he/she could easily evade our attacks, stealth and teleport away. I thought to myself, how could the developers give one class such huge burst damage, the best mobility, and great survivability? I thought this was unfair and started hating immediately.

I now think that the thief is not overpowered nor is it a skill-less facemashing class. It is simply more complete then the necro. I came to this epiphany when I ditched the necro and leveled my engineer (my current main) to 80 and started WvWing. I saw how the engineer, like the thief, was more complete and filled a very niche roll in wvw. The thief is meant to be an assassin and scout. They can sprint around the map, calling out enemy troop movements, escape if they happen to get caught by a larger force and destroy solos trying to reinforce any positions. I don’t know about you all but that sounds like a stealther from DAOC to me. Why the hell should I get made at that? The engineer has his own niche in WvW too. Sure I have a much harder time escaping then a thief and my 1v1 isn’t as bursty as a thief but I can melt people during sieges with grenades + haste. I also have a very solid rifle build that is extremely efficient at mid ranged combat. My necro is extremely underwhelming when compared to these two classes and started me off down the wrong path of shame.

So in summation, I “Sound of Cheese, From StormBluff Isle” am sorry for posting on your forums and bring dishonor to myself, my class, and most importantly my server.
Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see more HoD scouts out and about this week!

in Thief

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

No worries. I suppose the different classes have different playstyles.
You can do stupid stuff with the thief and get away with it. With the engineer: not so much.

However you should try the thief out. It doesn’t feel that complete to me. It’s SOMEWHAT of a one trick pony. It does a lot of stuff decently, but only a few things really well. The limited skill set doesn’t help.

in Thief

Posted by: obtuse.8291

obtuse.8291

And now, for the relaxing sounds… Of cheese.

10/10 post

I am the super thief

in Thief

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

wow, you should copy this thread in the pvp section and see how all this nice stuff will be erased by offensive languages

in Thief

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Can this thread be stickied please? So many people need to realize this.

I don’t have a necro, so I’m not sure what kind of problems they face. But I do also have an engineer, and it certainly doesn’t feel any weaker than my thief, just different.

in Thief

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

Apology accepted. 10/10

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

in Thief

Posted by: Whargoul.9613

Whargoul.9613

I’m at a lost for words here dude…

in Thief

Posted by: auhfel.4129

auhfel.4129

Hrm. Seems decent.

I think there would be a lot less Thief QQ if they fixed the rendering issues with stealth, where you are not immediately visible on the enemy’s screen when you attack from stealth.

in Thief

Posted by: KaiserCX.7103

KaiserCX.7103

Yes indeed, good post. People need to stop assuming something is overpowered instead of trying to find a counter for it (as devs have asked us to do). I also won’t pretend I know the state of Necro, it could be in a bad state right now, from what one of my friends says a lot of the skills are bugged (somewhat akin to Heartseeker missing I guess).

@auhfel (won’t let me quote) This issue isn’t even restricted to Thief too, I’ve ran into a supply with a couple of friends and suddenly like 20 people loaded for all of us when we were right next to them, I really hope this issue gets fixed. In WvW I’ve kind of gotten used to attacking invisible people now, but I do agree that it’s even worse for thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Kudos to you for owning up to your actions and apologizing for them, I respect that. That being said, isn’t the necromancer rather strong in pvp? Perhaps not so much in WvW but probably in sPvP?

in Thief

Posted by: antiviolence.7160

antiviolence.7160

I am officially apologizing to every thief, forum members and my server. I have created several post of shame mainly against the thief because I got owned by a couple of high skilled players and immediately got butt hurt. This was unacceptable behavior and for that I am extremely sorry. I am sure a lot of skills in this game need to be toned down or changed but that is not for me to decide, and complaining on the forums about it only lowers the quality of the community. The reason behind my post was to help alleviate the anger I had at the state of the necro class compared to the thief as the necro was my first level 80. Once I hit 80 I farmed my exotic gear and hit the WvW with my engineer friend. Up until this point I was blissfully unaware of the state of my class vs. other classes like the thief. So finding myself laying face down in the dirty over and over again by the same class was extremely frustrating. Then whenever we found a thief solo he/she could easily evade our attacks, stealth and teleport away. I thought to myself, how could the developers give one class such huge burst damage, the best mobility, and great survivability? I thought this was unfair and started hating immediately.

I now think that the thief is not overpowered nor is it a skill-less facemashing class. It is simply more complete then the necro. I came to this epiphany when I ditched the necro and leveled my engineer (my current main) to 80 and started WvWing. I saw how the engineer, like the thief, was more complete and filled a very niche roll in wvw. The thief is meant to be an assassin and scout. They can sprint around the map, calling out enemy troop movements, escape if they happen to get caught by a larger force and destroy solos trying to reinforce any positions. I don’t know about you all but that sounds like a stealther from DAOC to me. Why the hell should I get made at that? The engineer has his own niche in WvW too. Sure I have a much harder time escaping then a thief and my 1v1 isn’t as bursty as a thief but I can melt people during sieges with grenades + haste. I also have a very solid rifle build that is extremely efficient at mid ranged combat. My necro is extremely underwhelming when compared to these two classes and started me off down the wrong path of shame.

So in summation, I “Sound of Cheese, From StormBluff Isle” am sorry for posting on your forums and bring dishonor to myself, my class, and most importantly my server.
Best of luck to everyone and I hope to see more HoD scouts out and about this week!

I wish I could save this as my signature

in Thief

Posted by: Leikkaus.1246

Leikkaus.1246

7 years on the WoW forums and never seen something like that….

in Thief

Posted by: ArchNemesis.4897

ArchNemesis.4897

Kudos! It takes a lot for a person to take a step back and realize that sometimes they’re the ones that need readjustment, not everything else. It takes even more for someone to own up and apologize. Much respect.

in Thief

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Thanks man! I will say don’t give up on necro completely though. I’m a fairly competent thief in 1v1s, and I have a necro guildie that just stomps me religiously when we clash in random sPvP.

But anyway, you just won the Internet. Bring the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Thief

Posted by: RiskRagger.7540

RiskRagger.7540

accepted! good on you!

in Thief

Posted by: Daredent.2961

Daredent.2961

I don’t accept your cheesy apology. In fact I am now looking forward to WvW against Storm Bluff Isle, so I can farm some easy kills.

Thanks Mouse!

in Thief

Posted by: Will.4165

Will.4165

@Daredent.2961
Ok, best of luck to you buddy.

thanks everyone for the acceptance messages!

in Thief

Posted by: Vexus.5423

Vexus.5423

Good post. To compound the negative outlook on Thieves, their role is very specific in making people pay for being alone or in a small group out in the middle of nowhere. So you usually encounter a Thief on his terms, and that makes it so much more noticeable.

Engineers like you said are awesome for sieges and throwing AOE into large areas of enemy troops. They’re also pretty darn good underwater with grenade spam.

Necromancer is actually super good. They are highly durable with some amazing escape mechanisms. But no one has really played top notch on them right now. I’ve seen 1 single good enemy Necro. I want to level mine just to be the guy that makes everyone go ‘wtf’. So although you didn’t like it, I’m sure someone else will make it amazing. And yeah, that’s the good part of the game, finding your niche class and sticking to it until you get good at it.

in Thief

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

good post accepted!
but about heartseeker. i never saw how it was OP i were capable of killing theives before the heartseeker nerf. it got nerfed because of people draw conclusions to fast.

in Thief

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

+1 Will.4165.

If only we had more players who were willing to take the time to better understand the game like he did.

in Thief

Posted by: Shinigami.5932

Shinigami.5932

One of the toughest things for many to learn is admitting to yourself, and you went ahead and admitted to everyone! Well done.

In the future if the thief does become overpowered, you’ll know the difference between random encounters and something being ridiculous hopefully.

Aizen San

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Thank you for showing how its done!
Some ppl complaint a lot and even when the finally acknowledge that they were wrong, they don’t have the decency to admit it.

Thumbs up!

in Thief

Posted by: Trismegistos.3046

Trismegistos.3046

i play a thief in wvw and all classes as alts in spvp.

necros seem fine. hard to kill, and with good dispell/debuff group utility.

i think the only underpowered class atm is elementalist.
squishy and slow to act, too much casting and too much cooldowns.

imo mesmer needs some toning down.