My god, what have you done to thief?

in Thief

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

The thief does a kitten ton of damage and has a kitten ton of blocks and evades and stun breaks and it can reset the fights any time. This class is completely broken, I am starting to think that the developers main characters are thieves. There is no other explanation but to assume that they are tweaking the game in the thief’s favor because they play thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

if they’re so good, play one

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Thief

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

You forgot stealth spam. Broken class is broken.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in Thief

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Theif is fine the way it is, they die in one hit so the amount of evades they have is necassary. and their dps is less than tempest so theyre damage isn’t the only class with crazy damage. And stealth is party support and can help out parties in some situations. Not seeing where your going with this op. Mabe your getting ganked in wvw by theives and need to pay attention more. Theif is soppose to be sneaky with high burst of damage in exchange of terrible defence.

in Thief

Posted by: pfc.9430

pfc.9430

I main theif… when i join a group for end-game content in PvE people generally ask for anything but theif because they consider it underpowered…

I personally like where theifs are at the moment. They can be plenty challenging to play and winning/losing in most circumstances come down to how perfectly you can time everything. If you can’t beat a theif then try playing one. You’ll quickly realize the many weaknesses that we have. Mainly any CC and you can be bursted down instantly.

in Thief

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

What pfc said. Imo i think theives should get a 10% boost to dagger damage, probably even 15% to compare to other classes with all their condition damage and actual damage.

in Thief

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

I main theif… when i join a group for end-game content in PvE people generally ask for anything but theif because they consider it underpowered…

I personally like where theifs are at the moment. They can be plenty challenging to play and winning/losing in most circumstances come down to how perfectly you can time everything. If you can’t beat a theif then try playing one. You’ll quickly realize the many weaknesses that we have. Mainly any CC and you can be bursted down instantly.

That’s the problem of those groups rather than the thief. Barring truly exceptionally skilled players or a handful of encounters with stationary, big hitbox targets, a Daredevil will outdamage a Tempest in most end-game content. People who turn down thieves in random/pug raid/fractal situations where they’re seeking a DPS class are making their lives more difficult.

in Thief

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

There is no other explanation but to assume that they are tweaking the game in the thief’s favor because they play thief.

I believe Karl McLain mains thief. I guess that’s why he provided some video when they finally got to thief in this balance update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hOEI9kbc6g&t=33m53s

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Thief

Posted by: Iman Oldie.6457

Iman Oldie.6457

I’m enjoying my Thief (currently at L45) but I’m finding the popular Dagger/pistol combo lacking a bit with pistol damage or perhaps I’m just playing it wrong.
What combos are people using for PvE, high DPS?

Oldie

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Got me excited a little.

This doesn’t qualify as a nerf wish/request.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

When you use Dagger/Pistol, the Pistol isn’t there for damage, it’s there for the ability to grant you stealth on demand by using Heartseeker while standing inside Black Powder. You can then move behind your enemy and use Backstab for high damage.

In PvE, you can usually get by using Dagger/Dagger instead, as most PvE foes don’t have the ability to dodge or block Cloak and Dagger on reaction, which is what makes that weapon set less useful in PvP. Alternately, you can use Sword/Pistol and focus on the blinding aspect of Black Powder, standing inside it so your enemies can’t hit you while you cleave them down with sword auto-attacks.

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Wait, OP is actually serious? I thought he was gonna turn it into a joke how other classes can thief better than thief.
Heh heh heee.
Back to my ‘blocking everything’ I guess…

in Thief

Posted by: reinforever.8902

reinforever.8902

Wait, OP is actually serious? I thought he was gonna turn it into a joke how other classes can thief better than thief.
Heh heh heee.
Back to my ‘blocking everything’ I guess…

I too was astonished..

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

I am starting to think that the developers main characters are thieves.

Is this guy for real? It’s the absolute opposite.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Careful, OP, the Thieves are by far the most biased players. You’ll never be able to get a constructive thread going here. No matter how powerful Thieves get, they’ll always think they’re weak. The truth is that they’re not weak, but that they’re poorly designed. The Trickery trait line is mandatory in all specs and Anet has balanced around that thoughtlessly.

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Haha, I take it that OP doesn’t know about our invulnerability frames, our unlimited dodges (but only if you have the right tempo to your keystrokes!), or our ability to cancel skills into other skills to make truly insane combos!

Just wait till they realize our tension bar constantly refills and can be traited to do so faster and better than any other class! We’re nearly unstoppable as we teleport around the field!

Oh, wait, this isn’t a fitan gaem and thief can’t do any of that. Though I sure would like a Hyper Combo ability to get a 100-hit combo on a boss if I have my Initiative at full …

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Careful, OP, the Thieves are by far the most biased players. You’ll never be able to get a constructive thread going here. No matter how powerful Thieves get, they’ll always think they’re weak. The truth is that they’re not weak, but that they’re poorly designed. The Trickery trait line is mandatory in all specs and Anet has balanced around that thoughtlessly.

See… It’s not going to be constructive because not one word in the OP has been constructive.

Most seasoned teefs are aware that the class is just designed poorly.

Also, no matter how poorly designed or weak thieves are, there will always be people crying because they’re but-hurt.

(Replace “thieves” with any other class from any other game and it will still hold true.)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Hasn’t posted in his thread for 2 days. Definitely clickbait trolling.

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

Tons of blocks? Huh?… maybe 1 if you use the correct utility lol. Just keep in mind a thief has to keep moving and keep evading or he dies. They are the squishiest class and that’s why they have the best mobility and evades.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

True story, Bandit’s Defense is one of the highest-uptime blocks in the game, while providing a stunbreak and very low cooldown to pretty much negate in full most incoming burst combos, so he’s not really wrong by saying the Daredevil has tons of them.

Game’s just full of bad design decisions all over the place since HoT.

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

True story, Bandit’s Defense is one of the highest-uptime blocks in the game, while providing a stunbreak and very low cooldown to pretty much negate in full most incoming burst combos, so he’s not really wrong by saying the Daredevil has tons of them.

A thief has nothing even approaching the rotational block of a Guardian or DH. Warriors, Engis, Mesmer, Rev all have more block uptime. The thief is probably 6th in block up-time out of 9 classes. Out of those three that it beats at least two of them have much stronger bunker variations (Ele and Ranger).

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Across multiple abilities, yes, but BD when compared to every other ability has the best block uptime in the game as well as substantial extra utility at little to no cost to the thief’s build in general.

Frankly, the profession shouldn’t be blocking anything at all, but whatever.

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Across multiple abilities, yes, but BD when compared to every other ability has the best block uptime in the game as well as substantial extra utility at little to no cost to the thief’s build in general.

Frankly, the profession shouldn’t be blocking anything at all, but whatever.

Would it be more thematically correct if it was a 2-second evasion instead? I mean nothing would change gameplay wise… Just visually, as It’d basically become the equivalent of a mesmers Distortion Shatter, except you get a counter at the end of it.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Well a block can be bypassed with unblockable so evasion would be a buff. Two seconds of evasion on such a low timer would probably generate even more complaints about perma-evade thiefs as well.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

There are a couple weapon skills that have similar up time including Warding Rift, Shield Stance and Echo of Memory/Deja Vu (this one is a bit weird).

I like Bandits and I run it but it isn’t a huge game changer on the class. It performs well on non-stealth builds but stealth builds have better utility options IMO.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”