My (long) Appreciation of the Thief Profession

in Thief

Posted by: Nemeral.4362

Nemeral.4362

My first MMO was a SMAUG. For those who don’t know, that is a Simulated Medieval Adventure Multi-User Game. Yes, it is all text based. you know, “you enter a room blah blah blah which direction will you go?” These games I believe are for true hardcore players. You stare at text to build your character. This gives me a different perspective on MMOs, as graphics and all that jazz don’t really have an affect on me. I’m used to TEXT Lol.

You level up your character, which can take a few days to weeks to months depending on if you have done it before and know where to travel to. You hit 100, and then you can respec once to a secondary class. level this class up and then once you hit 100, you have all the abilities of both classes. the second class at a slightly lesser proficiency.

I was a warrior-thief. What you would call “glass cannon”. This was the guy who could come up to someone PVP (open-world by the way) invisible and pull a backstab and take them to 20% health. And that months that person spent gathering equipment? yeah. You can loot that. The most heartpounding experience I have felt. Imagine how PVP would be in any of these games if they could take your equipment!!

Now, I played WoW and SWTOR. Couldn’t really get into the rogue, loved the death knight. Liked the Jedi Shadow, but still wasn’t what i was looking for. And from GW2 I still don’t get that heart pound I felt back then( the smaug lost users after technical difficulties resulted in a wipe of all characters. ). But boy, do I have some of the most fun since that time. Of course, I am backstab specced. This is because this is the playstyle I am used to, and would love to continue. Nothing feels better than that power of your blade destroying a person if you can pull it off in that right moment.. or as in the smaug – “Your Backstab ****SMITES**** Player X”

I am only level 17 at the moment, and my main is a guardian at 47. It was fun for a while swinging that greatsword looking like a kitten, but I have so much more fun as this thief. Granted I die, A LOT, but it’s the risk you take. I hope they don’t nerf this spec. Thanks for the enjoyable game though.

in Thief

Posted by: obtuse.8291

obtuse.8291

good post—-

right, the spec shouldnt be nerfed. the underlying issues of too intense upscaling of critical damage and the power signet should just be corrected

I am the super thief

in Thief

Posted by: Nemeral.4362

Nemeral.4362

as i posted in the backstab QQ thread, in the SMAUG, backstab could only be used in stealth of course, only as an opener(not in battle), and the enemy had to be at full health(or close to it). it was still strong as hell. this skill is a staple in the thief lore. all the way back to dungeons and dragons. if they change it, damage shouldnt be changed, but possibly add some restrictions to its use, but only if they give us a little better control over stealth.