My retirement from thief

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: reinforever.8902

reinforever.8902

I know what you’re expecting, and this is not it.
You may or may not have heard of me as the trapper backstab thief, or #traplord, original pioneer of the backstab trap stealth thief. But that’s kind of beside the point. This is my official retirement of thief and gw2 in general.

I don’t blame the devs, I don’t blame the game, I don’t blame my skill level. In fact I think guild wars 2 is in a really great position and I’m happy thief finally got looked at by a dev and given some treatment. I give props to you all who stuck it out this far for the love of Teef. It’s been some great times and this had been my favorite game for a very long time.
Thank you all who supported my short YouTube video run, and thank you to all my guild mates and thief masters who helped me with my countless build reforms. Now I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m even quitting and the answer is short, black desert.

I’ve been following black desert since its initial announcement back in 2010. I finally got my hands on a Korean account for the KR servers, and let me tell you this is the most fun I’ve had on a game in a long time. With the announcement of the NA alpha servers and the NA release right around the corner this game now has my full attention. I’m playing a ninja class so the soul of my Teef lives on! Check it out, seriously. I’ll also be forming my own NA guild whenever the alpha starts up, so if you’re interested get in contact with me. I’ll be filming some gameplay videos on the same channel the trapper back stab thief was on.

Thank you gw2 and thank you to the community for all the great memories. Hope to see some of you on black desert!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

TL/DR Summary: Moving to Black Desert which is coming to NA next year.

Game looks really nice and the upgraded action combat system is much better than GW2 best I can tell.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I played 2 of their previous game C9 and Vindictus the potential and fun is amazing but their publisher usually mess up somewhere C9 is currently dying due to amazing stupidity I guess Vindictus is just struggling but I hope Black Desert doesn’t disappoint or at least not in 2034 NA version Pearl Abyss was harsh on it. Good luck on your road.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

I played 2 of their previous game C9 and Vindictus the potential and fun is amazing but their publisher usually mess up somewhere C9 is currently dying due to amazing stupidity I guess Vindictus is just struggling but I hope Black Desert doesn’t disappoint or at least not in 2034 NA version Pearl Abyss was harsh on it. Good luck on your road.

I really like pearl abyss and I think they do a great job. They’re really worried about how NA receives the game and are trying hard to localize it in both language and mechanics wise. I also love how black desert is so sandboxy and pvp based. Open pvp anywhere in the world? Yes please! Something I always wished guild wars had. It’s almost like archeage game mechanics with gw2.0 combat mechanics had a baby. The game is simply beautiful too, I play on medium graphics and it still has the best graphics out of any mmo I’ve played.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I really like pearl abyss and I think they do a great job. They’re really worried about how NA receives the game and are trying hard to localize it in both language and mechanics wise. I also love how black desert is so sandboxy and pvp based. Open pvp anywhere in the world? Yes please! Something I always wished guild wars had. It’s almost like archeage game mechanics with gw2.0 combat mechanics had a baby. The game is simply beautiful too, I play on medium graphics and it still has the best graphics out of any mmo I’ve played.

So far the korean version became a lot more casual and less sandbox than it was at first closed beta. They kind of turned on their original players but since they mentioned NA version will be different I’ll wait.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Following that game as well, just need more details on the business model – I know it’s B2P, but besides that will there be a cash-shop (how harmful?) or will there be “privileged”/subscription (again, how harmful?)?

There’s also Tree of Savior, which is having it’s “open” CBT. You can get into the CBT by simply registering on their site, till I think the 19th – and past that date you won’t be able to join in anymore (hence it’s kind of an “open” CBT).

There’s also Blade and Soul, same situation as Black Desert, just need more info on their business model. I think it’s a freemium.

WoW’s next expansion is supposedly something that will be grand, so I might follow that and might pick it up again (since now you can pay for subscription via gold).

As for GW2, I’ve re-rolled a necro, trying to get back into the game… I think I will get HoT, for the sake of 1 play-through (and tbh I’m a fan of the GW franchise/world – despite some of the game decisions that they have made and will probably make). If stuff doesn’t improve for the thief, and/or rewards in game remain mediocre (at best) – I don’t feel like I’m tied down to it, and will just play something else whilst they figure their kitten out.

As much as I would love to call GW2 my MMO-“home”, over the past 3 years, I’ve grown more distant and more detached from it – due to their decisions on things. The game itself, bulsheet aside, is great – I just don’t feel connected to it much anymore.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

Isn’t this what people said about Archeage? Good luck on your travels. We will still be here hopefully.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

So far the korean version became a lot more casual and less sandbox than it was at first closed beta. They kind of turned on their original players but since they mentioned NA version will be different I’ll wait.

Yeah that’s what I had heard. But the current build of it is great and a lot of fun. Still very successful as well. I’m not sure the specific changes they’re making for NA besides making it buy to play and only having cosmetics in the cash shop. I know they are planning to seriously listen to the NA alpha and beta players to implement changes suggested. It still has a lot of its main sandbox features but took out stuff like losing loot upon death. That IMO is just a bit much and would kitten me off. I definitely think you should give it a shot once it goes into beta and see how you like it if you’re questioning it. One of my favorite things to do is you can do parkour similar to assassins creed and get really cool places.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Isn’t this what people said about Archeage? Good luck on your travels. We will still be here hopefully.

Yeah, AA has hopefully taught a lot of people not to jump in on things without having proper info about it… Personally I’ve followed it, but didn’t invest in it at all, nor played it. Just watched how the poop-storm happened.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

My problems with archeage was definitely all about the combat. Action combat has spoiled me so I can’t play rooted skillbar combat anymore. Black desert is all about combos with left and right click with f q and e in certain directions, it’s great!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Following that game as well, just need more details on the business model – I know it’s B2P, but besides that will there be a cash-shop (how harmful?) or will there be “privileged”/subscription (again, how harmful?)?

There’s also Tree of Savior, which is having it’s “open” CBT. You can get into the CBT by simply registering on their site, till I think the 19th – and past that date you won’t be able to join in anymore (hence it’s kind of an “open” CBT).

There’s also Blade and Soul, same situation as Black Desert, just need more info on their business model. I think it’s a freemium.

WoW’s next expansion is supposedly something that will be grand, so I might follow that and might pick it up again (since now you can pay for subscription via gold).

As for GW2, I’ve re-rolled a necro, trying to get back into the game… I think I will get HoT, for the sake of 1 play-through (and tbh I’m a fan of the GW franchise/world – despite some of the game decisions that they have made and will probably make). If stuff doesn’t improve for the thief, and/or rewards in game remain mediocre (at best) – I don’t feel like I’m tied down to it, and will just play something else whilst they figure their kitten out.

As much as I would love to call GW2 my MMO-“home”, over the past 3 years, I’ve grown more distant and more detached from it – due to their decisions on things. The game itself, bulsheet aside, is great – I just don’t feel connected to it much anymore.

I definitely understand your concerns, and the devs have said that they want NA to have a cash shop with purely cosmetic stuff. I think they saw the success in gw2’s pay model and are trying to emulate it. Smart move. I also have been waiting for blade and soul for just as long as black desert, but honestly black desert seems like a better version. Combat seems more fluid and the graphics are flawless. Never got into WoW, not my thing. I also already bought HoT so I’ll probably at least go through the story but that’s about it. Currently so focused on maxing my Korean ninja out so I can do some serious BDO pvp. Like you I’ve grown detached to gw2, and it’s sad but I’m ready to move on.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: abclemons.7093

abclemons.7093

Can I have your stuff? Srsly, GL on your future endeavors. When you come back, we’ll see you in the Mists!

Koffix (ele) | Koffix Sprockets (engi ) | Koffix Shadows (teef) | Koffix Clones (mes) |
Koffix [xxx] (all the rest)
[Phnx] Phoenix Rises from the Ashes | Crystal Desert

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

I am interested, let me know when to contact you.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

I am interested, let me know when to contact you.

pm me your Facebook info and I’ll put you in the guild group!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Altie.4571

Altie.4571

Really you can post this in another forum.

Basically your post is: I quit, come play this better Y game.

When scientists discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed they are not it.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: ColdHuh.6785

ColdHuh.6785

Like Lamuness.3570 said everybody were waiting for Archeage like they are waiting now for Black Desert and I kinda feel it will be the same fail. Bots, hacks, hardcore p2w model and after few months you realise that the only people still playing the game are the cheaters and the guys from the “MasterCard Warriors” guild

(edited by ColdHuh.6785)

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

Like Lamuness.3570 said everybody were waiting for Archeage like they are waiting now for Black Desert and I kinda feel it will be the same fail. Bots, hacks, hardcore p2w model and after few months you realise that the only people still playing the game are the cheaters and the guys from the “MasterCard Warriors” guild

Well the game is going to be buy to play, so the bots portion is already severely reduced. There’s not really any hacks known to date. And they have stated the cash shop for the game will be strictly cosmetic with no pay to win element. I expect a severely different outcome compared to archeage.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

a Korean game? No thanks
I tried the Russian beta tho and the only thing I liked was the graphic, all the rest was a big grinding fest.

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: bliss.4305

bliss.4305

This is probably the worst time to leave GW2 for an “action MMO” especially after yesterday’s Guild Chat revealing the new action combat mode for GW2’s future.

One of the best published, developed and managed MMO’s of our time is GW2. It’s so exceptionally good, that even after playing TERA and falling in love with its combat system, I compromised by returning to GW2. And now Anet is introducing the same combat system… I couldn’t be happier.

Mark my words, GW2 is going to be the best action combat MMO come HoT.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: laquito.5269

laquito.5269

Not with these amounts of passive procs, they’d have to go a long way to make it enjoyable. Thief now and thief on release are two completly different classes. There is no such thing as high risk high reward builds in GW2 anymore. Everythings Low Risk High Reward.

Retired GW2 Player

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

better calm down, lately all mmo’s coming out are being pubilished so good, once they are out pay2win takes over and ruins whole mmo..

left my old mmo after playing it for ~7 years cus they went f2p and went from okay cash shop to horrible till point that u had no choice either dont PvP anymore or buy from store..
this why i love gw2 they have cash shop but nothing in there effects PvP in a way that forces u to buy also or just suck it up and have alot less stats.. thus why gw2 got my love for now..

i tried archeage but its exactly the same farm for ingame currency to be able to compete or dont and u wont be able to compete among top..
new mmo’s are just so into this f2p model where cash shop basically yields alot more income then a sub..

i saw black desert was buy 2 play but with a cash shop no? i like the game so far but i lost my hype towards mmo’s ill gently sit back now till things settle down to see if its as good as people claim it was..

My retirement from thief

in Thief

bliss.4305

Not with these amounts of passive procs, they’d have to go a long way to make it enjoyable. Thief now and thief on release are two completly different classes. There is no such thing as high risk high reward builds in GW2 anymore. Everythings Low Risk High Reward.

No game is considered successful upon its sole ability to create a balanced PvP environment. The true success here with GW2 is, eventhough there may be a lot of things not optimal with its content, the way its monetised and published have been perfection.

I’ve been through more MMOs than I’d like to admit… sadly I’ve seen a lot of MMOs flourish and rock bottom as they tried to find a balance between keeping the cash flow and retaining a non-p2w model… All failed. There really isn’t a worse feeling, where the game you loved and cared greatly, succumbs to the reality of cash-shops. All hardwork, passion, care and financial support for absolutely nothing.

At this point, I will never ever trust another MMO title with a single $, unless the game remains to be balanced in its most important property (monetisation) for an extended duration.

That is just me… but being burnt more than enough, I’d rather be safe than sorry. Now with GW2 implementing the “action” aspect to the already-amazing GW2… It couldn’t be better.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Can i have your stuff?

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Why are people so excited about the action camera? It seems like a gimmick that will limit your field of view (ie. What’s going on behind you.).

Baer

My retirement from thief

in Thief

bliss.4305

Why are people so excited about the action camera? It seems like a gimmick that will limit your field of view (ie. What’s going on behind you.).

Since when could you see what’s behind of you without actually turning your camera in exactly the same way? The only difference now, when you do turn your camera back to see whats behind you, you’ll also be facing it.

Its a huge change, even on the aspect of movement, where you will move away from your target and not backpedal like we current do. Contrary to what you’ve stated, this will give you more control over your field of view whilst taking actions.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

if they don’t give us an option to never touch the action camera I will likely never play again.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

bliss.4305

if they don’t give us an option to never touch the action camera I will likely never play again.

I don’t know what you’re saying… They make it a toggle-able option completely activated on preference.

If you like what you had, great… you’ll still have it. If you like what they’re implementing, great… you can start using it after HoT.

The system is nothing but a positive change and hope it will make the content Gw2 provides more immersive and engaging.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I don’t know what you’re saying… They make it a toggle-able option completely activated on preference.

If you like what you had, great… you’ll still have it. If you like what they’re implementing, great… you can start using it after HoT.

The system is nothing but a positive change and hope it will make the content Gw2 provides more immersive and engaging.

if this is the case then there’s really no problem.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

My retirement from thief

in Thief

reinforever.8902

This is probably the worst time to leave GW2 for an “action MMO” especially after yesterday’s Guild Chat revealing the new action combat mode for GW2’s future.

One of the best published, developed and managed MMO’s of our time is GW2. It’s so exceptionally good, that even after playing TERA and falling in love with its combat system, I compromised by returning to GW2. And now Anet is introducing the same combat system… I couldn’t be happier.

Don’t get me wrong, the action combat is really exciting and I’m glad they’re putting it in the game. But I don’t think It’s nearly as polished as tera, Bns, Black desert, etc. I think the main problem with it is any kind of pvp as it’s going to limit your field of vision compared to people who will play with normal camera AND ground targeting abilities is going to be a little harder (take more time). I downloaded a action camera mod for guild wars 2 a while back because I had heard about it, the game just wasn’t designed for combat like that. For PvE, it’ll be a lot of fun. My main interests are pvp and wvw though, so it’s not really enough to hold me to the game. That kind of feature has to be something the game is designed around to truly flourish, not added at a later date.