Need a build with atleast a 90% crit chance

in Thief

Posted by: Joshua.9346

Joshua.9346

As an WvW experimental build. Not too worried about actual damage output. I want the rest of my stats to be devoted to vit/toughness. How much precision exactly / what kinda gear / runes am I looking at?

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

As an WvW experimental build. Not too worried about actual damage output. I want the rest of my stats to be devoted to vit/toughness. How much precision exactly / what kinda gear / runes am I looking at?

berserkers or knights or if you dont care about having condi damage rampagers has pre primary, as for build x/30/x/x/x and make sure to use signet of agility

in Thief

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAsalcmCOXcy5E+ZEw2DAAAAA-jkxAYuAmILiGbjoIasqFM9KRUt/oIa1SBMqwI-w

There’s a baseline for you. Unfortunately, by focusing on precision, you’re giving up most of your options for vitality and toughness.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Passive Crit chance is caped at 70%

in Thief

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Source?

The wiki says differently.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Well there are a number of traits that add crit-chance.

There’s 5% for being above 90% health, there’s Sigil of Accuracy and then there’s Fury.

And that’s ignoring the +7% Crit-chance when behind an enemy trait.

So yeah, there’s very little practical reason go have more than 70% crit-chance.

Bare in mind that your damage will be pitiful without significant amounts of Power.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

A lulz-y build. Give it a whirl.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoYVlYmiOXcS4E/5Ey2jdqC5JdG00L1fgrA-jEyAYOBRKCARIiJyioxW4KiGraBTvSEV7TKiWNA-w

Don’t forget to add the stacks of sigil of perception in.

This one though at above 90% health an fron the sides/back should have 100% crit chance and 91% at all other times. It also invests points more into toughness and gives you might on dodge and stealth (which you’ll need with the low power):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAoYVlYmiOXcS4E/5Ey2jdqC5JeGOVS1f4qA-j0BBoiCiEBRkKAIRqIasFOFRjVtET/iIqGA-w

GLHF

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

Source?

This is definitely wrong. I’ve gotten 100% crit chance in sPvP.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Source?

He said “passive” means what the crit chance is at the load out without buffs from food or boons, for example.

However with the Assassin items, you can push that passive cap pass 70%.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Volrath.1473

Source?

He said “passive” means what the crit chance is at the load out without buffs from food or boons, for example.

exactly, the crit change you get from gear runes traits etc is caped at 70%, (I’ve read it somewhere on the early days of the game and since i play thief I never forgot about it but still a confirmation from a dev would be appreciated).

Meaning that if you go over 70% crit it wont matter since it will not pass 70%. It can go over 70% with boons/food.

Again I have no proof of this…

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Source?

exactly, the crit change you get from gear runes traits etc is caped at 70%, (I’ve read it somewhere on the early days of the game and since i play thief I never forgot about it but still a confirmation from a dev would be appreciated).

Meaning that if you go over 70% crit it wont matter since it will not pass 70%. It can go over 70% with boons/food.

It can go to 100% with Hidden Killer, for example — but honestly, anything pass 30% crit chance is a waste of stat spot that can be used for Power and Crit-damage, or for Toughness and Vitality.

The trade off to get high passive crit chance is not acceptable to me so I don’t do it.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

Source?

That being said you can achieve over 100% with fury, side strikes, and signet of agility.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Here’s a “rough” high passive crit-build using Assassin gears

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoYEBnREbPAAAIKA-j0xAYuASEASkFRjtwVENW1CmelIq2nUEtaA-w

Note: Fragile

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I honestly prefer this build for a high burst DD.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoYlUmaPHcy5E+JFy2jhqCJKuCGl/ByS/AOB-jkyAY/hMSUEyoCgJPho0nGbVrIas6aMlrQtKOR27ioVLFQELjA-w

Stealing into Fury helps immensely, effectively raising your crit chance to 74% for what SHOULD be the duration of the fight. Imho, going above 80% is just kind of unnecessary. You can definitely mix in some assassin runes in place of berserker, however I prefer the damage boost versus the crit chance due to the fact D/D power shouldn’t be extending the fight into much beyond a few seconds from backstab and auto-attacking.

The reason I suggest this is because there’s not much purpose in going crit strikes unless you actually plan to do things with it. If you’re running condi/on-crit, then definitely look into the Trickery line.

I’d probably do something like this for a crit-based build with high toughness playing with condi.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUmaPXey5E+5Ey2jK8n4JvHfFZZWaFwJA-j0CBYfJDLUQkoIZUFBiIAM/RILHSitaqIasKmYKYER1mbFRrWKgHFGB-w

Not super tanky, but you’d be better-off than most other builds and would easily stack up bleeds.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I honestly prefer this build for a high burst DD.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQJAoYlUmaPHcy5E+JFy2jhqCJKuCGl/ByS/AOB-jkyAY/hMSUEyoCgJPho0nGbVrIas6aMlrQtKOR27ioVLFQELjA-w

Stealing into Fury helps immensely, effectively raising your crit chance to 74% for what SHOULD be the duration of the fight. Imho, going above 80% is just kind of unnecessary. You can definitely mix in some assassin runes in place of berserker, however I prefer the damage boost versus the crit chance due to the fact D/D power shouldn’t be extending the fight into much beyond a few seconds from backstab and auto-attacking.

The reason I suggest this is because there’s not much purpose in going crit strikes unless you actually plan to do things with it. If you’re running condi/on-crit, then definitely look into the Trickery line.

I’d probably do something like this for a crit-based build with high toughness playing with condi.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqaVlUmaPXey5E+5Ey2jK8n4JvHfFZZWaFwJA-j0CBYfJDLUQkoIZUFBiIAM/RILHSitaqIasKmYKYER1mbFRrWKgHFGB-w

Not super tanky, but you’d be better-off than most other builds and would easily stack up bleeds.

If you read what the OP is asking, you wouldn’t waste your time posting your off topic reply.

The OP stated: “Not too worried about actual damage output”

So please, stay on topic.

in Thief

Volrath.1473

Source?

That being said you can achieve over 100% with fury, side strikes, and signet of agility.

yep, was just trying to say that with gear only it is not but with traits and boons it is

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I’m sure there have been threads about this before, but hopefully the experienced Thief players will humor me (I am but a nooblet, and know little of the ways of theorycrafting):

Where exactly is the payoff line in balancing power with precision/crit damage? I see several comments here that say or imply that an extremely high crit chance isn’t especially valuable, but I have no idea where the benefits start to decrease. Is there a specific point of “exponential decay” in the value of crit chance? Does that vary between weaponsets?

tl;dr: I use S/D and I don’t know how to math. Teach me, senseis.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

Basically you simply take a sample size of hits (the larger the better), then apply your crit chance to a percentage of those hits given a certain base damage derived from power, and modify them with your crit damage modifier. Then add up the damage you would deal on non-crits to this and compare the DPS, if that’s what you’re calculating. That’s just for AA DPS, though. One has to assume their build and how it’ll affect their skills. Imho, crit chance is less of a necessity in D/D or x/D stab builds due to the fact Hidden Killer raises backstab crit chance from stealth to 100%. Might as well just build heavy power, then.

This is particularly why I believe my previous post was indeed relevant despite not being a 90% crit/toughness build on the first suggestion; crit chance/damage is great and all, but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have base damage worth modifying.

Seeing as you’re s/d, I wouldn’t be too concerned with DPS and would be more focused on remaining in the fight. That said. most of your damage will come from AA, so by all means calculate out which works better for you. Plot out the effectiveness of various builds and then see what’s just right. Idk your build or your playstyle, so simply making blind suggestions as to what the most effective build for you is simply silly :P

Your crit damage modifier could be 150%, at a 100% crit chance, but if you only have 1k power, someone with 3-4k power at 30% crit chance/damage is already dealing more dps and burst than you, unless you’re running on-crit condi.

It comes down to addressing builds. Yes, there are diminishing returns, but that would only imply that the most “effective” use of points would then be to put a little in everything – which for most people isn’t too great – for everyone else just beats you at their own game all the time.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

The standard S/D setup can get a hidden 90% from behind with precision sigils.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I see several comments here that say or imply that an extremely high crit chance isn’t especially valuable, but I have no idea where the benefits start to decrease.

I personally value Power over Precision meaning if I have to choose between the two, I’d pick Power. I’d also pick Vitality over Precision, Toughness over Precision. Basically, Precision is at the bottom priority for me.

However, I have a crazy friend who value Precision and been trying to get closer to 100% as possible because he relies on procs from Sigils (i.e. Flames Blast almost every 5 seconds or Life Steal almost every 2 seconds).

So the value of Crit Chance really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish or what you find to be fun.

in Thief

DeceiverX.8361

Precisely what I mentioned above. Useless to have crit chance/damage unless you’re doing to do things with it.

Which is why I suggest people not build to 100% but build up crit chance to necessary levels such that they aren’t sacrificing either burst or just plain DPS. Even then, thief AA sequences are pretty quick, so a 75% rate with high base damage will ultimately proc similarly. Seeing as you get through about two full sequences over five seconds, you’re looking at critting immediately or almost immediately after the cooldowns spite having a much lower critical rate, effectively keeping proc chance per unit of time the same.