Need advice on PvP and WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: bobango.9501

bobango.9501

Heya all.

I just plain suck at PvP, I might get a few kills, finishing targets with weak hp, or if we gang up on somebody, but when I do 1v1 or 1v2, I die like a fly. The same is when I try WvW. I feel like I do not only lack the mechanics and skills, but also knowledge about the profession.

Could any experienced PvP and WvW thiefs give me some general info/advice on what weapons I should run, what traits/skills/runes/etc. I tried looking for builds and guides, but the ones I found were outdated. I would really appreciate if somebody could share their knowledge.

in Thief

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Can’t really tell much about how to play the thief, but you can browse builds here – you can also find usage guides on most of the pages when it comes to PvP/WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

Awesome account name dude lol bobango. Search on youtube and look for the most updated posts either this month or the month before I’m sure you’ll get the idea. Play around with traits and discover what makes you kill. You can go condi p/d at the beginning but I wouldn’t recommend it as a long term build. Lastly would be learning the basics about facing other professions cause trust me that goes a loooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggggg way. Good luck, have fun.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Well, the class is kind of kitten in sPvP for the most part. In competitive play thieves are only used to turn even fights into ones with favorable numbers. They’re not capable of soloing much in that format.

For WvW, we’re seeing a shift to a dire condi meta for roaming at the moment, one which will make things much more difficult to do anything.

It’s really just a lot of practice. If you’ve got friends who play other classes, ask to fight them in duel/empty arenas in sPvP. Have them explain their builds and classes to you if you can’t find yourself with the motivation to play/level one, such that you can learn what to expect from other classes and how to survive/punish them better.

I’d probably start with 6 points in Shadow Arts as a new thief on the basis that the line is just incredibly strong and the condi metas we’re seeing in PvP and WvW make not using this trait setup quite difficult.

I do not recommend P/D. It’s too easy to play and teaches bad practices. A lot of the P/D players I’ve helped move to aggressive D/D have proven to have very little knowledge of the thief class or its match-ups because the set is so robust it requires little learning investment, subsequently making learning more difficult (but rewarding) builds similarly to the extent of new players.