Need help with gear decisions.

in Thief

Posted by: Tulinor.6745

Tulinor.6745

Hi all.

I just got my exotic berserker daggers made and have the sigil of superior rage and superior fire in them.

For armor the only exotic I have is the lyssa chest armor. I went with that because the numbers were so high for survivability in the chest armor. 101 power 74 vit and 74 toughness I believe. In pve I feel pretty good already but I am wanting to gear up for WvW. I was thinking of doing Valkyrie armor for the pants then round it out with knights for the rest of the pieces. For runes I was planning on using divinity. What do you think?

Here is my build. http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/thief#3|3|3537|4004|3999|3997|4485|0|0|0|0|30|1190|1193|1196|10|2199|0|0|30|1165|1695|1692|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

I went with 0 30 10 30 0. My thought are that the crit damage from 100% crit chance for backstab is huge so I use it. I also like gaining 2 initiative every time I use cloak and dagger. Which plays into gaining health for using initiative along with health when attacking which gives me 1 for crits in my traits. I don’t know about PvP but in PvE the heath gain is really noticeable and I rarely find myself short on initiative.

While this build isn’t strong in burst the rune and skill that give quickness do provide a high dmg output that can be continued after you use them. I like the signet of agility for those times when you need to dodge 4 times or when you need to get your endurance back after using haste. I have done a little bit of work in WvW and I would say that zergs are trouble but in a fight I can stay on the opponent easily which leads to death eventually. At least for one of us but if I have dodged their cooldown skills it is usually them.

So how much does toughness help or is vit more important? Any other suggestions for traits or gear direction?

Your input is appreciated.

(edited by Tulinor.6745)

in Thief

Posted by: obtuse.8291

obtuse.8291

well, toughness is not as big of an issue, i was watching some buildcast and ed and gary were going back and forth about the fact that some sacrifice of toughness works out for the thief since as you say, at times we can and will need to pump out some extra dodge. we can get skills that us dictate distances, and avoid those hits where toughness would otherwise be quite essential to boost the value of our already limited health with such lowest base health of any profession as we have.

i like to have around 1500 toughness and at least 16k HP. if i can fit in 400 +heal after all that whatever is leftover for damage ends up working pretty well for me. i have some builds where i really only get toughness from traits though and with heavy evasion boost in the traits and slot skills i take, i am still more effective since my damage stats are higher.

I am the super thief