New Guardian Trap from Ready Up episode...

in Thief

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

It’s invisible to the target(s) once laid. Reveals stealth, and adds 25 stacks of vulnerability.

RIP Thieves ?

(edited by Hexalot.8194)

in Thief

Posted by: Bret.6940

Bret.6940

that and welcome condi guardians :P

Order of Grenth ~ P/P Thief~ [OGs] TC

in Thief

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Could become dangerous if one is careless. Fortunately the revealed lasts only 1 second if I read the tooltip correctly.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in Thief

Hexalot.8194

that and welcome condi guardians :P

4.5K BURN TICK !!

HaHaHa !! They are gonna have to balance the kitten out of that. :-D

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Yeah, each tick is only 1 second and you could potentially dodge those ticks and get out of the radius. If you do get hit, you’ll barely be visible for enough time to be targeted, let alone get focused.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Hexalot.8194

Could become dangerous if one is careless. Fortunately the revealed lasts only 1 second if I read the tooltip correctly.

Looking at Dulphy’s notes, you are right it’s a 1 second reveal. But the trap also pulses for one second intervals so you’ll be revealed as long as you stay in the traps radius of effect. :-)

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Looking at Dulphy’s notes, you are right it’s a 1 second reveal. But the trap also pulses for one second intervals so you’ll be revealed as long as you stay in the traps radius of effect. :-)

No problem…they have a trap that sucks you in and slows you down.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Absolutely not worth losing Renewed Focus unless you want to die horribly, though.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Bro, if they have to equip two utilities just to effectively end your stealth, you win at the end of the day.

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Absolutely not worth losing Renewed Focus unless you want to die horribly, though.

In a team comp when someone else is watching your back, it is good to have. It keeps your team away from harm…but of course, this is within the context of the HoT PvE where mobs raiding at night. It is quite obvious that this spec is not PvP worthy.

Bro, if they have to equip two utilities just to effectively end your stealth, you win at the end of the day.

Yes it’s true, but nothing is stopping anyone from actually doing it.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

in Thief

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Yeah, each tick is only 1 second and you could potentially dodge those ticks and get out of the radius. If you do get hit, you’ll barely be visible for enough time to be targeted, let alone get focused.

You know kitten well every guard is gonna use hammer and drop hammer 5 on that trap and literally trap you in it. Or drop Test of Faith trap on top of the Other trap for a dead thief combo traps. You’re stuck in it, and thieves lack defense to survive getting targeted with 25 stacks of invul and revealed for no stealth stripping of it.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

You guys are forgetting that we now have access to Resistance. If this BowGuard goes meta, we can always trait for Guarded Initiation. Steal (Mug) will put Resistance on us so triggering this trap will negate the damage.

in Thief

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

I dont see this as being too horrible honestly. One it sucks you in, but its not like the trap follows them around.

So they lay a trap, nothing happens now they suck for a long time.

The biggest problem I see right now is condi’s in general. Not just on guard.

The way they are doing condi’s thieves have very little condi resistance. Guarded initiation will have to go to above 75% health to be able to deal with them.

Stacking intensity on everything?

The biggest problem I see thieves having to deal with in HoT is condi’s. Its already a problem now, it will be far worse then even with pain response and guarded initiation.

Also, I would think HtC would be a better solution to these traps, allowing you to dodge the trap when it CC’s you. Im assuming that whatever this mechanism is that sucks you in would be treated as a pull.

Im just not impressed at all with guarded initiation unless they make it to where you dont need 100% health, to me its a one shot deal in a fight of which you have to get the first hit and useless from that point on.

Id personally run HtC over guarded initiation.

(edited by nightblood.7910)

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I like the look of Guarded initiation on paper but it very hard to tell how it will work in practice.

Those traps all do significant upfront damage meaning you somehow have to have full health before you step in one in order to trigger GI.

I do think Guardians will be able to use one of those traps and then that LB skill that will keep the thief imprisoned on that trap.

That all said the Thief traps might need an uptweak so as to compete. Needle trap and shadow trap are likely ok but tripwire and ambush might need a revisit.

in Thief

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Hi theifs, I’m a guardian. I heard about the tough times you have ahead and I thought I’d drop in to tell you the upside

1. Guardians have a vigor symbol now. You’ll enjoy this
2. You still probably have more stealth/stunbreak than we do stuns and reveals. I think you’ll survive
3. If your invisibly you’ll still set off dragons maw and I’ll know exactly where to GS#2
Ok, so that last one wasn’t an upside. But don’t worry you guys haven’t even seen your specialization yet

P.S. Most guardians will not be taking virtue line with the Dragonhunter line. A boatload of retaliation comes from the virtue line. So you hopefully won’t have to deal with that anymore

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

not like guardians needed help to kill thieves either way.

in Thief

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

The biggest problem I see thieves having to deal with in HoT is condi’s. Its already a problem now, it will be far worse then even with pain response and guarded initiation.

Is it?!? Why have I not noticed this problem…
oh yeah, shadow embrace, shadow step, sigil of generosity/purity… uh-huh yup.
Or is this like a d/p p/p s/d problem or something?
I keep seeing this stuff “it’s the end for thieves”, but what about lb rangers?? Why not for them too? Well, we can only hope anyway…

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

not like guardians needed help to kill thieves either way.

^^^QFT

I’m not particularly worried that anything will change. Thief vs guard was already an uphill fight depending on their build. Now they’ll just have another build that’s similarly hard to fight.

Meh.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

nightblood.7910

Is it?!? Why have I not noticed this problem…
oh yeah, shadow embrace, shadow step, sigil of generosity/purity… uh-huh yup.
Or is this like a d/p p/p s/d problem or something?
I keep seeing this stuff “it’s the end for thieves”, but what about lb rangers?? Why not for them too? Well, we can only hope anyway…

Im talking heavy condi pressure and repeated condi pressure.

Condi mes, Condi Necro can be a problem, Im not talking about the standard condi’s that zerk classes have in their weapon skills that do nothing.

Im talking going up against condi builds in PvP. Those things can rack up quick. Especially torment as thief in PvP’s main defense is movement.

Some of the better condi builds Ive faced (Players that is), I may end up going down after I win the fight if I do win the fight because I have nothing left to get rid of the condi’s.

Rangers, well the only time they give me a problem as of late is if Im fighting someone else and they are 1500 away targeting me. (Which is why I think thief needs a reflect thats not an elite or steal.)

(edited by nightblood.7910)

in Thief

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Im talking going up against condi builds in PvP. Those things can rack up quick. Especially torment as thief in PvP’s main defense is movement.

Oh in pvp. Yeah, I don’t touch pvp, only lots of wvw so don’t know the different mechanics there in pvp. After all I’ve been faction warfaring ever since early UO, and wvw is much like faction warfare apart from being on regular world maps, and I’m not a soloer. Generally I intercept for moving zergs in wvw with my thief, burst out with that incredible thief speed, tackle targets thinking they can get away from our zerg, stick them with incapacitation and debuffs, bury my daggers into their sides and give a twist.

Of course though, sometimes we smack right up into an opposing zerg, huge clash and total mayhem. I guess there, condi doesn’t matter there like in pvp? I have no problems removing condi when I need to, in a split second, and it comes a lot. My thief doesn’t die much, and it’s a typical d/d stealth build along with assassin armor etc. I’m probably doing it all wrong, but has been working for me since gw2 went live. Shoot I don’t even heal while stealthed, I let my crits heal me and just burn targets down as fast I can. Maybe I need to go home and rethink my life… …no still no interest in pvp, I just like larger engagements and battlefield tactics.

edit: I will say though, yes it is hard to burn down a good guard 1v1. In fact it’s usually like going up against another stealth thief, a stalemate, more a matter of he or I having someone show up to assist in which case for he it turns into a disengagement and I vanish away. I suppose in pvp you have no ability to pick your targets, which imo for a stealth thief seems heretical. And if HoT makes the guard even harder to defeat, well just more stalemates I guess, but I can still tackle them and have my zerg run over them.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

in Thief

Posted by: Teru.2063

Teru.2063

It’s invisible to the target(s) once laid. Reveals stealth, and adds 25 stacks of vulnerability.

RIP Thieves ?

No, the trait revamp is already looking good for thieves and we don’t know our elite specialization yet, calm down…

in Thief

nightblood.7910

Oh in pvp. Yeah, I don’t touch pvp, only lots of wvw so don’t know the different mechanics there in pvp.

Yeah, I gave thief a whirl in WvW but I seemed to have more presence in PvP. Havent played it in a while, but if I go back to WvW Ill probably just go back to front line guard or give warrior a shot. I own too many warriors as a thief in PvP for me to want to run warrior PvP. (There are a few who get me but its far and few between).

Guards on the other hand, when I go up against them and fight them, its usually because were ahead drastically and well Yolo.

I just feel thief gives way more to PvP than it does WvW.

Interestingly enough, the higher up Ive gone in MMR and so on in PvP the less condi pressure I find. I think its a pride thing.