New Thief Weapon Set: Dual Swords

in Thief

Posted by: Zethrul.5031

Zethrul.5031

With the expansion announcement, and new weapon combinations incoming, I thought I would share a few thoughts about what I think would be a fun new weapon set for thief. Dual Swords! Read on to see the details, but I think the mix of medium range gap closing, a medium ranged interrupt, and stealth that only becomes available after a successful parry would make it a very tactful and enjoyable play style. I have considered how other weapon sets might work (D/S, P/S), and I didn’t try to make anything up for their Dual Skills. Feel free to come up with something and add to this! My first thoughts are that D/S & P/S would actually work pretty well with sword #4 & #5 skills without breaking thief mechanics in general.

Also, if Dual Swords doesn’t sound amazing enough… I think Claw Weapons would add some flair and uniqueness to the profession. I’d take either one!

Flashing Blades (Dual Skill)
Cost: 5 Initiative
Description: Dash towards the enemy parrying ranged attacks in a flurry of lightning quick swings, crippling targets in the path.
Details:
900 Range
1/2 Second Cast Time (Can be activated while moving)
Moves player towards target, or in a straight line if no target is selected
Skill lasts 1.5 seconds. 1 second for the dash while parrying, with .5 seconds of continued parrying after reaching target.
Damage is 120% of Auto Attack, caused similarly to a moving Pistol Whip or warrior’s Whirlwind
3 Second Cripple

Comments:
For more balancing, this skill could be changed to also root in place during initial ½ sec cast time, but that could make it too easily avoided.

Sonic Slash (#4 Skill)
Cost: 4 Initiative
Description: Slash your enemy with a burst of ranged slices to damage and daze them.
Details:
900 Range
½ Second Cast Time
½ Second Daze
Combo Finisher (Projectile)
Damage works like Heartseeker, but is only 65% as strong

Comments:
The ½ second cast time makes this skill harder to interrupt heals with, allowing for the skill to have moderate damage while still being a CC.

Swift Wind (#5 Skill)
Cost: 3 Initiative
Description: Swing your sword into an incoming attack to parry, apply weakness, and activate its second ability.
Details:
Blocks during 1.5 second swing duration (1/2 Second Delay at end of animation so it can’t be spammed)
5 Second Weakness

Crashing Wave (Secondary #5 Skill)
Cost: 2 Initiative
Description: Damage, bleed your target, and gain stealth with a brutal cleaving swing.
Details:
65% of Backstab damage
5 Stacks of bleeding
Up to 3 targets

in Thief

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Sounds neat. Sword off-hand is something that makes sense for Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

Parries are something I’ve always wanted for thieves. Although I fear that outright blocking things on a class with no weapon cds would not be a good combo, even if there were measures to prevent them from being spammed. Perhaps make parry and parried boons and conditions respectively. While under the effects of Parry, damage is reduced(probably more than protection, but exact number really depends on the other skills and the defense they offer) and the Parried condition applies a damage increasing debuff similar to Vulnerability yet stronger in magnitude but much shorter in duration.

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

While I certainly would not complain about gaining the ability to use two swords, what actually makes more sense for thieves is single-wielding a dagger or a sword.

also, maces.

in Thief

Posted by: Grinex.7046

Grinex.7046

I would prefer this over the rifle

in Thief

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

AOE CnD, you got to be kidding…

The whole thing is just a AoE version of offhand dagger with more damage potential and head shot on top, basically everything that is good from all offhand weapons combined with more damage on top of it.

Totally overpowered and making all the other sets obsolete.

in Thief

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

:D p/d normal attacks. Skill 3 would be a big slash and stealth less sneak attack to their face! Adding blind on process! XD

in Thief

Zethrul.5031

AOE CnD, you got to be kidding…

The whole thing is just a AoE version of offhand dagger with more damage potential and head shot on top, basically everything that is good from all offhand weapons combined with more damage on top of it.

Totally overpowered and making all the other sets obsolete.

Well, to get to the 3 target CND you have to first successfully parry something. So you can’t just spam it and bounce in and out of stealth like actual cloak and dagger. Also, the parry might make a sound people recognize, knowing to be ready to dodge the next swing. It would only do a little over 1/2 of backstabs damage, which doesn’t seem unfair.

Maybe daze does need to be removed from #4, and lower the damage to being minimal. Maybe cripple could be added in place.

Either way, these aren’t perfect, but I imagine a thief with dual swords being swift and being good pressure while the enemy is in medium range. Maybe the #5 skill shouldn’t get stealth, and it should be an immobilize. I’m not sure what would be best without testing, but it’s fun to imagine!

I’m just excited for whatever weapon we end up with.

in Thief

Zethrul.5031

Parries are something I’ve always wanted for thieves. Although I fear that outright blocking things on a class with no weapon cds would not be a good combo, even if there were measures to prevent them from being spammed. Perhaps make parry and parried boons and conditions respectively. While under the effects of Parry, damage is reduced(probably more than protection, but exact number really depends on the other skills and the defense they offer) and the Parried condition applies a damage increasing debuff similar to Vulnerability yet stronger in magnitude but much shorter in duration.

That’s a cool idea! I was figuring that since S/D #3 can dodge already, parry would just be a different flavor of a similar idea.

in Thief

Zethrul.5031

While I certainly would not complain about gaining the ability to use two swords, what actually makes more sense for thieves is single-wielding a dagger or a sword.

also, maces.

Good call! I never considered one dagger/sword before. That would be classy!

in Thief

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

also, maces.

now i want that too!

also thumbs up for the mace.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Thief

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

WE WANT BLOCK/PARRY!

in Thief

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I could get me a green and blue SAB sword and go all Jedi on them. That would be tight!

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

in Thief

Zethrul.5031

I could get me a green and blue SAB sword and go all Jedi on them. That would be tight!

LOL Yes!

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’m down with block/parry.

But I want to dual wield shields to do it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Thief

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

Dual swords are on my thief wishlist for Anet. If that will be implemented, only time will tell. Sadly, Anet prefers the "sniper" meta with "killshot warriors" and "rf spamming rangers"...and now supposedly "rifle thieves" (come HoT expansion release).

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

in Thief

Posted by: BFMV.3198

BFMV.3198

I feel like parry’s are cool but are very unthief-like unless made in quick succession. A thief isn’t going to stand there waiting to block for 1.5 – 2 seconds. Instead, the “flashing Blades” skill is much better as you are parrying while getting ready for counter attack and it is in activation from the moment you start blocking.

Along with this, new Skills for thieves called stances could become a thing

in Thief

Zethrul.5031

I feel like parry’s are cool but are very unthief-like unless made in quick succession. A thief isn’t going to stand there waiting to block for 1.5 – 2 seconds. Instead, the “flashing Blades” skill is much better as you are parrying while getting ready for counter attack and it is in activation from the moment you start blocking.

Along with this, new Skills for thieves called stances could become a thing

I totally agree! The first swing to parry on the #5 skill should be fast. I’m not totally sure how that would work out numbers wise, but the quickness you’re talking about is exactly the thing I was envisioning!