New & improved Perplexity thief! (video)

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Just in time for leagues, I’ve optimized the old perplexity build to get rid of that pesky main-hand weapon. Now you can keep one hand free for more important things while you play! Enjoy a tasty adult beverage, browse the internet for totally sweet kitten videos, or even play another perplexity thief on your second account for TWICE the thrilling PvP action!

http://youtu.be/umKuvv_d-4o

in Thief

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

Yeah but it’s not easy to obtain that equip.
Now greens cost quite a lot.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

ha ha just love it

i think against those players you didnt need the off hand weapon as well)

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

ha ha just love it

i think against those players you didnt need the off hand weapon as well)

To be fair, those were some of the better DH players I’ve faced this week. -_-

in Thief

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

gotta love op runes, made so much gold crafting and selling hundreds of these puppies….i kinda feel like an illegal weapons dealer…

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Thief

Posted by: Coloxeus.3480

Coloxeus.3480

lol i enjoyed watching your montage by just using #4 #4 reminds me of old school heartseeker just #2 #2 #2

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

lol i enjoyed watching your montage by just using #4 #4 reminds me of old school heartseeker just #2 #2 #2

LOL I’ve never seen that one. Thanks for sharing.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

mad l33t yo, crazy son!

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Kashijikito.1864

Kashijikito.1864

You killed a necro, and an upleveled warrior from a server that has one of the lowest skill wvw communities in the game.

Not to mention that the necro clip started when the necro was half health.

Sorry but I fail to see how perplexity is op.

Kaz Bloodclaw, The Bell Tolls, Kaz The Spaz
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

You killed a necro, and an upleveled warrior from a server that has one of the lowest skill wvw communities in the game.

Both fights were 1v1 from full health. I simply edited them down because they were long and boring. I’m using green gear, no food buffs, no main-hand weapon to apply additional conditions, and I’ve got 20 unused trait points. All that, and I’m STILL completely locking down players with one button and minimal effort. Even if those players brought stability and cleanses, I could simply keep reapplying confusion while their skills are on cooldown.

Stop trying to defend these runes. Aside from Shadow’s Embrace or crazy regen warriors, there’s not very many options out there to counter this type of play. With proper tweaking, these runes could actually fit nicely into balanced gameplay, but right now, they’re just ridiculous.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

Agreed, good video and nerf the runes!

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Those runes are annoying. When I run into people using them 1 on 1 I just give them the middle finger and make my ninja vanish exit. =/

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

Well this made my night. I own a fully kitted out perplexity warrior and I hope the nerf bat slams it hard so I can readjust to something less kitten y. It’s not like I shelved her either since I still use her when it feels like it’s sword thief night in wvw.

Hell, I’ve applied 9 stacks on confusion to perplexity thieves by reflecting their own headshot back at them and I got a whole load of reflects.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

in Thief

Posted by: AshinDreidon.3861

AshinDreidon.3861

Four of the roamers I’ve fought in the last 10 minutes are using these runes. I don’t care if they are OP or whatever, it’s just leading to extremely boring fights.

shadow, magus, hunter (progress: ritualist, paragon)
soloQing my way through leagues…

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Both fights were 1v1 from full health. I simply edited them down because they were long and boring. I’m using green gear, no food buffs, no main-hand weapon to apply additional conditions, and I’ve got 20 unused trait points. All that, and I’m STILL completely locking down players with one button and minimal effort. Even if those players brought stability and cleanses, I could simply keep reapplying confusion while their skills are on cooldown.

Stop trying to defend these runes. Aside from Shadow’s Embrace or crazy regen warriors, there’s not very many options out there to counter this type of play. With proper tweaking, these runes could actually fit nicely into balanced gameplay, but right now, they’re just ridiculous.

This video only showcases terrible players. The necro was terrible all he had to do was lay down a putrid mark or fire off a deathly swarm and given it all back to you and you would have killed yourself spamming headshot. A good condi necro should never lose to another condition class ever.

Anbody else could have just walked away from you tbh and there was nothing you could have done about it. The runes are good I won’t deny that but they aren’t a iwin button. Against more than 1 person you couldn’t maintain that kind of headshot spam because you would be out of initiative. There are more builds out there that can deal with perplexity thieves besides warriors and and thieves with shadows embrace.

20/20/30 Mesmer with GS or Staff + X/Torch with cleansing conflaguration.

Elementalist with 20 in earth for stability on earth attunement, Armor of earth at 50% health and Armor of earth cantrip.

Any necro with a offhand dagger a staff and half a brain. That pops into ds just for fear and pops out then fires deathly swarm before you can spam headshot again.

Those are all popular roaming builds not anything I just cooked up to counter the runes. The necro is just weapons you don’t even have to trait that.

Those are all classes I play besides my thief and warrior which deal with that build pretty well also.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

messiah.1908

perplexity rune are not op especially if everyone else using them so it ends up with being a better skills player than your enemy.

its fun video but again and as stated b4- necro who doesnt transfer condition?! and warrior who just spam skills even with 1 stack of confusion you could kill them (will be boring fight but doable)

the only nerf, if at all, is cd for 5 seconds on #6 rune ability thus make you think before you spam your interrupt skills and any good player will never spam and w8 for the right moment to interrupt so on the hands of skilled player this rune will be still valuable

but its fun to take down HS spamming thief when he got 8 -13 stacks of confusion – just punish the spammer!

in Thief

Daendur.2357

they should put an internal cooldown on 6° bonus … maybe 15 or 20 seconds.

in Thief

oZii.2864

they should put an internal cooldown on 6° bonus … maybe 15 or 20 seconds.

Yea the strongest class that runes these runes IMO is engineers. While a Mesmer can stacks more confusion without a interrupt there isn’t much to cover it up. I think a ICD is fair I would say 10 secs would be fair on the ICD. The base duration is 10 seconds on the 6 piece anyway. I would say 5 secs is fair also but I think 10 is a good middle ground.

{Thief}

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Lol, I love people who defend these runes. Show me any other rune set that even comes close to these.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Thief

messiah.1908

its not the runes i defending its the versatility of the game

first anet nerf the confusion dmg in pvp/wvw than suddenly all the glamour mesmer disappear . so anet change the meta builds to condition and add the torment dmg and the runes. than condition engineer took advantage of it and now everyone using it even warriors

its funny that before the perplexity rune, if u run confusion build on your mesmer you’ve been called noob … but now when every one can stack 13 confusion everyone want it

in Thief

oZii.2864

Lol, I love people who defend these runes. Show me any other rune set that even comes close to these.

Comes close as to what? People that say the rune is OP never really have any solid arguments.

I could say that Melandru runes with food are the opposite of these and people have run that combo for along time.

If you look at the past few new rune releases going back to Queen Pavilion when these sets where released many of the new runes aren’t like any runes that came out at launch.

Rune of Exuberance
Tormenting
Perplexity
Rune of the Sunless

The Magic find changed runes

Scavenging
Noble
Traveler

Are all different than runes released before.

Scavenging is probably the closest to a launch release rune and it still blows runes of the undead out of the water with its 7% conversion there is no other rune converting 7% of anything into anything.

Chap said in the last SOTG that they wanted to redo some of the runes take out some of the RNG involved in runes and sigils because there are alot of bad runes. I see the pattern with each new Rune release that they want to make better runes and sigils.

Honestly most launch Runes Suck! Thats why so many people mix and match because the 6th piece bonus is usually terrible. Off top of my head people take a full 6 of Divinity, Scholar, Melandru, Hoelbrak, Lyssa, Eagle, Dolyak, Speed from launch runes outside of dwayna those are some of the highest priced runes in the game because they have good 6 piece and the rune set is pretty good.

Now what is your counter that its OP? The 6th piece bonus requires an agreement between you and your enemy anyway. You have to be able to spam a headshot like a noob and he has to be willing to spam skills like a noob so that you can interrupt him.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Stx.4857

Lyssa are the only runes you listed that even come close in power to perplexity. And that is more because of the condition wipe every potential 45 seconds, and less about the boons.

But when you fight a perplexity engi, and then fight a non-perp engi. You can see the huge difference, and a rune set should not be that powerful.

The fact that you can build around just these runes(the p/p spam #4 build) is proof enough that they are imbalanced. If you can say that a build wouldnt be viable without a specific rune set, then wake up and smell the coffee, because you’re in denial if you think stacking 20+ confusion for 5-10 seconds is okay.

Melandru runes are powerful, but they are balanced, because you gain no offense from them, and they only reduce conditions by 25%… The food is the real game changer, but then so many foods are blatantly OP.

in Thief

Stx.4857

Oh and you call people noobs for actually using their skills? You think that if a thiefsmer gets confusion on you that the smart thing to do is go afk or run away until it wears off?

Every single skill you use, including auto attacks, can be interrupted. Yes I know there are a few instant utilities. The point is, when every ability someone uses can be interrupted, it doesnt take timing or skill to stack confusion, it will just happen.

Both bonuses on these runes should apply only one confusion stack, and there should be at least a 5 second internal cd on the 6th. Then they would be more in the line with the other popular runes.

in Thief

oZii.2864

Lyssa are the only runes you listed that even come close in power to perplexity. And that is more because of the condition wipe every potential 45 seconds, and less about the boons.

But when you fight a perplexity engi, and then fight a non-perp engi. You can see the huge difference, and a rune set should not be that powerful.

The fact that you can build around just these runes(the p/p spam #4 build) is proof enough that they are imbalanced. If you can say that a build wouldnt be viable without a specific rune set, then wake up and smell the coffee, because you’re in denial if you think stacking 20+ confusion for 5-10 seconds is okay.

Melandru runes are powerful, but they are balanced, because you gain no offense from them, and they only reduce conditions by 25%… The food is the real game changer, but then so many foods are blatantly OP.

It’s a double standard because you see the confusion from these runes. Melandru runes or any rune for that matter is usually taken with food together. The food removes the +40% duration that you have. If you don’t have more than 25 points into your condition duration line melandru then alters the base duration of your conditions. Your once 4 second bleed from pistol main hand can then become a 2 second bleed if you never used the +duration food to begin with you have might aswell not even have a bleed at all.

That is powerful I wouldn’t say it is OP but there is no denying that it is build defining and you do build around that because you invest in the runes and the food. You can then cut back on your condition removal and some classes like Ele and Warrior can enhance it even further for -93% reduction to 3 types of condi. Alot of warriors don’t rune a utility condition removal at all and do fine with dogged march, melandru, and lemongrass.

I think the stacks are fine on the runes just put a icd on the 6 piece of 5-10 seconds. 1 stack of confusion is terrible thats a over nerf suggestion.

There are over 60 rune sets in this game and about 10 of those sets are good. I would rather have more good sets of runes like these last releases then nerf runes to make them in line with the other rest of the crappy runes in the game.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I personally do not use these runes, but I also do not see the problem. Watch the videos. Any regular spec could have beat those players way faster.

in Thief

TeamBattleAxe.3901

It’s a double standard because you see the confusion from these runes. Melandru runes or any rune for that matter is usually taken with food together. The food removes the +40% duration that you have. If you don’t have more than 25 points into your condition duration line melandru then alters the base duration of your conditions. Your once 4 second bleed from pistol main hand can then become a 2 second bleed if you never used the +duration food to begin with you have might aswell not even have a bleed at all.

That is powerful I wouldn’t say it is OP but there is no denying that it is build defining and you do build around that because you invest in the runes and the food. You can then cut back on your condition removal and some classes like Ele and Warrior can enhance it even further for -93% reduction to 3 types of condi. Alot of warriors don’t rune a utility condition removal at all and do fine with dogged march, melandru, and lemongrass.

I think the stacks are fine on the runes just put a icd on the 6 piece of 5-10 seconds. 1 stack of confusion is terrible thats a over nerf suggestion.

There are over 60 rune sets in this game and about 10 of those sets are good. I would rather have more good sets of runes like these last releases then nerf runes to make them in line with the other rest of the crappy runes in the game.

The fact that confusion is spammable in large doses is the problem. I actually do like confusion as a game mechanic to punish people for mashing buttons, but the current incarnation is way over the top and too quick to reapply. I would be happy with either heavy stacks on extremely long cooldowns or individual stacks on very short cooldowns.

As far as runes go, I’d prefer runes in general to stay on the fairly “crappy” side. Maybe it’s just me, but I’d love pvp with no straight-up hard counters to anything. Let players fight against players instead of build types so that skill can shine through. As it stands, there’s way too many situations where if you’re using Build A vs Build B, you’re just SOL no matter how much you outplay your opponent.

in Thief

messiah.1908

after fighting this month solo i can say that the average confusion stacks on me was 8

even with 2 thieves roaming against 2 mesmer, necro, 2 warrior all with perplexity runes i had 13 stacks max and my other thief fellow had 8 stacks

i manage to take down 1 mesemer warrior b4 i got down by being focus by all and the other thief took them down later.

now mesmer with no runes can put on you 13 stacks with scepter/focus

so why is that op?

in Thief

Daendur.2357

after fighting this month solo i can say that the average confusion stacks on me was 8

even with 2 thieves roaming against 2 mesmer, necro, 2 warrior all with perplexity runes i had 13 stacks max and my other thief fellow had 8 stacks

i manage to take down 1 mesemer warrior b4 i got down by being focus by all and the other thief took them down later.

so why is that op?

because there is no internal cooldown.
There should be at least 5 seconds … better 10 or 15….

in Thief

Stx.4857

so why is that op?

The fact that they were all using perplexity runes is the first sign that they might be OP lol!

in Thief

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

This rune is like the only thing that made Mesmer confusion builds viable again. If they’re going to nerf it they should at least revert the last nerfs on confusion.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Thief

Daendur.2357

This rune is like the only thing that made Mesmer confusion builds viable again. If they’re going to nerf it they should at least revert the last nerfs on confusion.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

in Thief

Hermes.7014

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

At least I’m not whining to get a nerf on something I couldn’t beat.
Also play confusion Mesmer in PvP before talking.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Thief

Daendur.2357

Confusion was OP and they nerfed it.
This rune is OP so they will nerf it. An internal cooldown is needed. They will also introduce more powerfull runes and revamp existing ones.

in Thief

Hermes.7014

The missing internal cooldown must be something developers missed, and it should be at least five seconds long. I wouldn’t call it a nerf but a fix.

in Thief

Daendur.2357

The missing internal cooldown must be something developers missed, and it should be at least five seconds long. I wouldn’t call it a nerf but a fix.

Exactly as it was for steal life food on critical.
It was OP, they put in an internal cooldown. It is balanced now.