New lvl 80 thief, dying ...

in Thief

Posted by: Nocturn.3570

Nocturn.3570

Hello everyone,
I started my GW2 career with a fresh thief, cause I liked the lore and the movement. I played him until lvl 34 and decided to use my boost to 80 …
Big mistake I would say …..

Now I have 2 exotic daggers ( which I don’t like ), I die a lot to everything ( loosing partly 70% when I am hit ) and don’t know what to do, besides following the HoT missions.

Do you have any tipps what I should accomplish next ?
Do you know a total guide, which explains fractals, crafting etc. in a total ( I read the wiki but man there are 1000 currencies, dailies for everything, etc. )

Cheers
abcNocturn

in Thief

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

For fractals: you’ll learn it by doing it but those are the guides i’ve read when i’ve started the game
from reddit
from dulfy

and a recent well written handbook in this forum section

Hey all!
I’ve been working on a profession guide for some time now and it is ready to be published.
Keep in mind that it is mainly written for newer Thief players.

Share link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw6Cw91_m2y-LWR3SG5zazBURG8
Last update: R01 – 2017.08.05

in Thief

Posted by: Alatar.7364

Alatar.7364

You realize you posted this thread right above this thread? =D
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-Thief-Handbook/first#post6675941

Check it out

~I Aear cân ven na mar

in Thief

Nocturn.3570

You realize you posted this thread right above this thread? =D
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-Thief-Handbook/first#post6675941

Check it out

I saw the handbook and read it
My problem lies more into the what should I do now …
Finding a build shouldnt be the biggest problem …

in Thief

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

What is your current build? The boost gave you daggers? Get 2 x exotic pistol with berserker stats. Daggers are for WvW or PvP, same with short bow. Check LFG and join a hero point run in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin, or google for help on hero points. I like to learn things on my own first, so I spent weeks getting hero points with my first character. Every new character does a HP run though.

With the hero points, buy the daredevil trait line. Get an exotic staff with berseker stats. You will have excellent ranged capabilities with the pistols and close combat with staff. You will die less often, promised.

You got the Valkyrie stat combination with the boost, maybe you have 20k health? Right now, you are lacking precision though, maybe swap a few pieces to berserker, so you get a higher chance to hit critical, and still have some additional health from Valkyrie.

I died a lot until I got berserker temple armor. You’ll not have enough karma for that yet, but for a few gold coins, you can get the weapons.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

in Thief

Nocturn.3570

What is your current build? The boost gave you daggers? Get 2 x exotic pistol with berserker stats. Daggers are for WvW or PvP, same with short bow. Check LFG and join a hero point run in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin, or google for help on hero points. I like to learn things on my own first, so I spent weeks getting hero points with my first character. Every new character does a HP run though.

With the hero points, buy the daredevil trait line. Get an exotic staff with berseker stats. You will have excellent ranged capabilities with the pistols and close combat with staff. You will die less often, promised.

You got the Valkyrie stat combination with the boost, maybe you have 20k health? Right now, you are lacking precision though, maybe swap a few pieces to berserker, so you get a higher chance to hit critical, and still have some additional health from Valkyrie.

I died a lot until I got berserker temple armor. You’ll not have enough karma for that yet, but for a few gold coins, you can get the weapons.

THAT is what I needed
Thank you !

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

THAT is what I needed
Thank you !

Thief is also one of those classes where u have to pay attention to what x target is doing and read the gameplay; whats about to happen. Thats the drawback of having the juicy mobility/evades. Once u become more aware then the class will feel truly rewarding.

And if all else fails u can always roll a bearbow

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Nocturn.3570

THAT is what I needed
Thank you !

Thief is also one of those classes where u have to pay attention to what x target is doing and read the gameplay; whats about to happen. Thats the drawback of having the juicy mobility/evades. Once u become more aware then the class will feel truly rewarding.

Yeah, but how long will it take to get lvl 80 and exotic gear xD ?

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

THAT is what I needed
Thank you !

Depends on how much you play and what kind of content you do in PvE. If you just make sure to sell your valuable crafting materials if you have no intention of using them anytime soon, gold will accumulate at a decent pace on it’s own. You can craft it yourself, but if you don’t have the mats on hand that can also take a while.

Honestly I’d just participate in the HoT events in Verdant Brink. The map event has a chance to reward you with exotic bladed gear, which has a small selection of stats you can choose on your own, and once you get the mastery to purchase from the vendors there you can buy the other pieces for a small gold a piece.

in Thief

Posted by: Helys Vikonas.9125

Helys Vikonas.9125

You can also get cheap (paid with karma) berzerker armor sets in Cursed Shore, from the Cathedral of Silence’s karma vendor. Then mix those with valkyrie, marauder, soldier or knight trinkets to gain some survivability. This should be decent until you’ve got more experience – and gold – to get stuff that’s tailored to your needs.

I agree with the rest of what has been said above. For weapons, daredevil staff is great for PVE true, and dagger/dagger pretty uneffective in open world. I generally stick to staff +shortbox, or dagger/pistol + shortbow. Pistol / Pistol also offers great single target dps, which can be good on skill points.