New to GW2 and trying to understand my thief

in Thief

Posted by: Maleioch.1907

Maleioch.1907

As stated, I’m new to GW. But I’m not new to MMO’s and Thieves/Rogue classes. They are always my favorite.

Usually I’m faced with simply increasing my dex or the equivalent as well as worrying about my dps and crit chances. Obviously that is not how the Thief mechanics work in GW2.

I am not interested in WvW or PvP. I enjoy the PvE aspect of MMO’s. What I’m so confused about is how to spec my traits and gear toward the PvE and Dungeoneering in the game. With so many choices as far as Crit Chance, Power, Toughness, Healing, Condition Dmg/Duration etc. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I do understand that there are so many variables and that a lot depends on how I wish to play the game.

I like D/D and SB. It feels fun to me. I like making mobs bleed like crazy! Seeing those numbers fly off their heads tickles me to death…. and them as well. So if that’s what I like then I think I want to have gear that is adding to my Condition Damage and Duration. Correct? And I suppose that would mean I want to spend more points in Deadly Arts and Trickery. Are there builds based on Condition? Would a build like this work in dungeons as well?

in Thief

Posted by: Kurow.6973

Kurow.6973

As stated, I’m new to GW. But I’m not new to MMO’s and Thieves/Rogue classes. They are always my favorite.

Usually I’m faced with simply increasing my dex or the equivalent as well as worrying about my dps and crit chances. Obviously that is not how the Thief mechanics work in GW2.

I am not interested in WvW or PvP. I enjoy the PvE aspect of MMO’s. What I’m so confused about is how to spec my traits and gear toward the PvE and Dungeoneering in the game. With so many choices as far as Crit Chance, Power, Toughness, Healing, Condition Dmg/Duration etc. I feel a bit overwhelmed. I do understand that there are so many variables and that a lot depends on how I wish to play the game.

I like D/D and SB. It feels fun to me. I like making mobs bleed like crazy! Seeing those numbers fly off their heads tickles me to death…. and them as well. So if that’s what I like then I think I want to have gear that is adding to my Condition Damage and Duration. Correct? And I suppose that would mean I want to spend more points in Deadly Arts and Trickery. Are there builds based on Condition? Would a build like this work in dungeons as well?

Play a different class. With the amount of unnecessary complaints people come up with, thief in PvE will always be indirectly nerfed. Also, not to mention the fact that other classes vastly outperform thieves, especially in a team scenario.

However, if you insist on continuing to play, I would not recommend you playing a condition thief in dungeons. It’s good armour ignoring damage, but condition stacks are limited, and you won’t be the only one stacking them.

(edited by Kurow.6973)

in Thief

Posted by: Kyrion.2749

Kyrion.2749

Kurow has a point in that this game offers a truly unique game experience that actually captures the spirit of a life-like thief.

That is, being insulted, prosecuted, hated, chastised and rejected in general by the rest of the society.

in Thief

Posted by: Quarantine.3702

Quarantine.3702

First off, it’s important to understand that the thief plays differently than any other class. Between stealth and no recharge time for our weapon skills there’s nothing similar to a thief in terms of play style. If you’re not too much invested in your thief I’d recommend going and trying other classes to see if thief is really the class you want to play.

With the indirect nerfs to PvE from balance issues in WvW and sPvP, we run into issues with our builds relatively often. Then there’s the issue of your specific play style. So since you’re new to GW2 and since you really like to dish out condition damage, there are other classes that can tailor to that need similarly to the thief that may be easier to play (in my short time playing other classes, the mesmer and necro were about the same as a thief for dishing out condition dmg).

I feel obliged to ask, what level are you and how much time have you sunk into your thief? Have you played other classes and for how much time? Without this and knowing the class mechanics, I can’t really offer you advice. If you want a build then it’s important to know more about your play style, whether you’d prefer to be survivable or if you’d want to be more damage oriented. If you’re really gunning for a thief then there are numerous thief builds you can find on the forums, youtube and through a simple search that would be good starting points. Just make sure you know what you’re getting into with the thief, because we are significantly squishier later in the game in comparison to the start.