NewThief.... burst damage build?

in Thief

Posted by: Zenrazor.6804

Zenrazor.6804

Greetings,
I’m still relatively new to the game (lev. 34)

I have not really read up much on the thief or mechanics. I just dove right in a have been leveling/building based on what seems OK from the skill descriptions and how I tend to play.

So far I’ve only been PvE and been using what I suppose I would call a “burst damage” approach. I’ve been putting all my points into power and precision and using dagger/dagger with short bow alt. (rarely use)

I think my current spec is.

10 10 0 0 4
For traits I have: Venomous Strength, Furious Retaliation

I typically run with,
Hide in Shadows, Caltrops, Haste, Spider Venom, Signet of Shadows, Thieves Guild

I expect to focus on PvP eventually.

I like my build so far. Everything seems to be working OK. I change skills out depending on if it is group event, soloing standard, soloing veterans etc.

Think I am at point where I like to get some suggestions on if I am on the right path. Is there something I can tweak to be more effective?

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Not really, I’m not sure what you;re looking for if everything is going fine.

I will however point out, because this is something I didn’t realize until someone pointed it out, is that your Primary Dagger attack turns into “Backstab” when you’re in Stealth. That is by far the biggest hitter in game. Use it frequently.

PS: Backstab is also what makes Cloak And Dagger a good skill just incase you’re wondering.

in Thief

Posted by: Yewkon.5802

Yewkon.5802

don’t knock the shortbow

the #2 skill double tapped quickly for a melee range burst is pretty great AoE damage +bleed (just watch your health bar and dodge) for most world events shortbow is great because it hits multiple targets, which = more loot

And the poison field causes weakness combo which is great

Also, I would use the speed buff signet.. it’s just great overall being 25% faster than enemies and makes map travel bearable.

Haste doesnt really give you all that much in a d/d build. Haste is great for PvP but not really needed in PvE

If anything, mix up your weapon sets and up learn to play them all. Not only will it make PvE more fun since it changes how you play, it will give you experience for PvP when you go up against different types of thieves in PvP.

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

You could also use a pistol offhand with your dagger mainhand and use the number three and five skill to chain-blind for effectively killing harder enemies in PvE. If you use your number two in the number five blindness field, you become stealthed which enables you to back-stab also. And yet another option with a pistol offhand is using a mainhand sword and using your number three skill while in the blindness field to hit multiple enemies for good damage in melee range.

Just some ideas you may be interested in.