Noobish questions for a fresh thief

in Thief

Posted by: Aurelio.6159

Aurelio.6159

Q:

I just started a Thief a few days ago (level 25 atm) and I’m planning on making this my first maxed out character. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of beginner’s guide, so I was hoping to get some answers to what are probably terribly obvious questions.

1. Will this build work for leveling? It’s D/D and SB, focused on condition damage. I put it together after reading a few other threads about leveling, and in the short time I’ve been using it, it’s been very effective. But will it take me all the way to 80?

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#mckzzc9covnboovnboG9MxGcsMsbVk

2. That’s the level cap, right? 80?

3. How do you guys gear up at endgame? Is it all just dungeon runs or what? As piecemeal as story quest rewards are, I’ve been crafting all of my weapons and armor (leatherworker/weaponsmith). Can you craft high end stuff/are professions worth leveling?

4. On that note, how do dungeons operate in this game? Do bosses drop loot, or is there a token system or what?

5. Is there like, a list of good endgame builds somewhere? I’m not that interested in PvP, and I figure that whatever happens, I’ll be using the SB as a secondary, so the options for primary weapon set would be D/D, D/P, P/D, P/P, or S/P (I hear that S/D doesn’t do so well). I think that I’m going to prefer direct damage builds after leveling with condition damage. Given these parameters, could someone point me in the right direction?

Sorry about the mass of text, and my general lack of knowledge. WoW taught me that ignorance of game mechanics can stretch way past the level cap and bring down your potential, so I’m trying to absorb as much info as I can early on. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

in Thief

Posted by: Gwyn.6412

Gwyn.6412

1. Yes, conditional thieves are one of the best builds for pve since you can kill many targets at one time. Just be sure to use Death Awesome(Blossom) and unlock the utility Caltrops. Those are your bread and butter skills ^o^ I use conditional thieves for WvW and PvP too; just do what you enjoy most =]

2. Yes

3. Be sure to set your eye on a set, dungeon gear is really easy to obtain with guilds (you are welcome to join our guild before they remove free transfers on the 28th). As far as crafting, it’s great for making money. It’s mostly used for flipping items to get a constant flow of money. Farming money can be very hard.

4. Token system! You get 60 tokens when you complete a path. Dungeons usually have 3 paths, giving you 180 a day. If you decide to run it again, you will get 30 because of the diminished returns. Sooooo you need to wait for the day to reset (4pm PST).

5. I love thieves and have studied all the builds. If you want to do some theory crafting hmu =9 Issue with direct damage builds, we lack armor, and our only real means of survival is, dodging, stealth, blindness, and stealing health. When you can only deal with one target at a time, it can make it very hard. It’s still possible to make a PvE power/crit build, but it’s more suited for PvP.

I am happy to help you in your path of shadow. Again just hmu and I might be able to teach you a few things ^u^ IGN Gwynharwyf

in Thief

Posted by: Aurelio.6159

Aurelio.6159

3. Be sure to set your eye on a set, dungeon gear is really easy to obtain with guilds (you are welcome to join our guild before they remove free transfers on the 28th). As far as crafting, it’s great for making money. It’s mostly used for flipping items to get a constant flow of money. Farming money can be very hard.

How do I transfer?