Offhand Sword for them thieves! (suggestion?)

in Thief

Posted by: Cayndr.3958

Cayndr.3958

Hey guys! I thought about something like this:

Sword/Sword
Skill #3 Cross Slash (Dual Wield) | Cast: ½ | 5 ?
“Strike your foes with both weapons, applying vulnerability.”
-Damage (2x): 269 (0.8*power*weapon str/armor)
-Vulnerability: 2 stack | 10s
-Range: 130
-Up to 3 targets.

Skill #4 Quick Thrust | Cast: ¼ | 3 ?
“Stab your foe at a weak spot, bleeding them.”
-Damage: 252 (0.75*power*weapon str/armor)
-Bleeding: 2 stack | 8s (680 dmg over 8s)
-Single target.

Skill #5 Fatal Strike | 6 ?
“Slash your foe fiercely, if your attack is blocked, you strike them again with your sword hilt, breaking through their guard and inflicting weakness.”
-Damage (1st strike): 672 (2*power*weapon str/armor)
-Damage (2nd strike): 336 (1*power*weapon str/armor)[unblockable]
-Weakness: 2s
-Single target.

Dagger/Sword

Skill #3 Feint (Dual Wield) | Cast: ¼ | 4 ?
“Feint with your sword, then stab your foe with your dagger, confusing them.”
-Damage: 202 (0.6*power*weapon str/armor)
-Confusion: 3 stack | 5 s (390 dmg on skill use)
-Single target.

Pistol/Sword

Skill #3 Dead Stop (Dual Wield) | 4 ?
“Fire a dazing shot at point-blank range, then cripple your foe with a low blow.”
-Shot Damage: 353 (1.05*power*weapon str/armor)
-Damage: 168 (0.5*power*weapon str/armor)
-Daze: 1s
-Crippled: 5s

Now tell me what you think! Mwuhahaha!!!

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

I’m not to sure about your weapon skill ideas, but I’d love to dual wield swords! A weapon I’d love to see added (maybe in a major patch/expansion) is the crossbow for thieves.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

For anyone who’s ever picked up a sword, a dagger/sword combination would seem ludicrous. In fact the off hand sword is a nice fantasy idea but it doesn’t suit a nimble balanced thief at all since you need to sacrifice balance to get the power through the body into the off hand. I personally hope they add torches, maces, and even two handed swords before they give thieves heavy off hand weapons.

in Thief

Posted by: Thighum.7295

Thighum.7295

I like the idea of a sword off hand but…I don’t like your suggested skills.

Lack of stealth for all weapon sets that use x/s causes both a lack of stealth skills, and condition removal suffers (except on the s/s). In addition, minus some #3 skills your sword skills are all single target… sword should cleave as much as possible and do some aoe. The block on the #5 is nice. I would like to see an aoe combo field in the set with #3 attacks that can use said combo field in different ways. I don’t think your suggested skills synergize very well with the sets.

in Thief

Posted by: Thighum.7295

Thighum.7295

For anyone who’s ever picked up a sword, a dagger/sword combination would seem ludicrous. In fact the off hand sword is a nice fantasy idea but it doesn’t suit a nimble balanced thief at all since you need to sacrifice balance to get the power through the body into the off hand. I personally hope they add torches, maces, and even two handed swords before they give thieves heavy off hand weapons.

I agree, a 2 handed sword would be cooler than an offhand one.

in Thief

Luto.1938

A thief with a two handed sword… really? How does that suit a “nimble balanced thief”?

As much as I love the look of a two handed sword it just wouldn’t fit with the thief archetype. There are many MMOs, and books where a thief type character dual wields swords. It’s the nimble master swordsman that wears light leather armor and is quick to evade/parry attacks. I would imagine that this weaponset would have high evade, parry, and bleeds to offset the survivability it would lose from not having stealth.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

A thief with a two handed sword… really? How does that suit a “nimble balanced thief”?

As much as I love the look of a two handed sword it just wouldn’t fit with the thief archetype. There are many MMOs, and books where a thief type character dual wields swords. It’s the nimble master swordsman that wears light leather armor and is quick to evade/parry attacks. I would imagine that this weaponset would have high evade, parry, and bleeds to offset the survivability it would lose from not having stealth.

Whenever someone makes a suggestion about offhand sword, one of the first arguments is that it doesn’t “fit the class.”

First of all, an offhand sword does not have to be heavy .

Second, how is it odd for a Thief to use an offhand sword, when cloth-wearing casters like Mesmers can? How does it suit a “nimble” scout class like a Ranger to use a greatsword, but not a Thief? Just because GW2 is a fantasy game doesn’t mean it has to adhere to all of the traditional archetypes.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Luto.1938

Whenever someone makes a suggestion about offhand sword, one of the first arguments is that it doesn’t “fit the class.”

Second, how is it odd for a Thief to use an offhand sword, when cloth-wearing casters like Mesmers can? How does it suit a “nimble” scout class like a Ranger to use a greatsword, but not a Thief? Just because GW2 is a fantasy game doesn’t mean it has to adhere to all of the traditional archetypes.

There is a reason why traditional archetypes need to be at least loosely followed. If not then we would have plate wearing Elementalists in Ham/Bow spec, permastealthing around, blowing up zergs with aoe bomb kits, and summoning dead minions.

Well maybe it wouldn’t get that bad but, without some guidelines of traditional archetypes to follow we will begin to see homogenization among all the classes. I don’t want to wield a GS as a thief for the same reasons I don’t want to wear plate, and use engi kits. Each class needs abilities that it can not access and weapon sets that it can not use.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Iruy Ariviel.3605

Iruy Ariviel.3605

If it were any other weapon I wouldn’t agree with it, but I can agree with off hand swords. I would rather fix Sword/Dagger first though… I think it’s too lame, honestly, ’cept for fighting monsters that buff themselves with long boons like Ettins and Dredge.

But returning to the topic’s subject, I like the 5th skill, only. The others make it feel like it’s supposed to be the damage focused combination for thieves, without stealth or evasion. Don’t do that. Thieves are paper, and are Thieves, don’t forget that.

But… Since I do miss parries and dirty fighting in Thieves, I think it might be a good oportunity to add more of that on them with an off hand sword. Let’s see~

- Sword/Sword
Problem here is, how to make it different from Dagger/Dagger? Dagger/Dagger is a fully capable weapon combination on doing high DPS, may it be against one target or many, it also does have decent survivability with evasions and stealth, plus damaging Conditions (Poison, AoE Bleeding), you can also cause some Cripple, and Vulnerability eventually. Other Sword combination like Sword/Pistol also feels similar, but instead of damaging Conditions and Stealth, you have constantly the use of incapacitating Conditions (Weakness, Dazing, Interrupts, Cripple, Blinding, Immobilize). And lastly Sword/Dagger has… below decent survivability, below decent dps, but focuses on critically tactical table turning things like evading, Stealing Boons (mostly this) and …eventually interrupting when in stealth.

Now tell me, which role Sword/Sword could have? I wonder. I think you must start from there. Sadly I’ve got no ideas for skills right now, I hope I could help just guiding the priorities. About Pistol/Sword and Dagger/Sword… well, that depends on how you will define the XXX/>>Sword<< this part first.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Mesmers get dual sword, warrior gets dual sword, what gives? I thought we were dual masters, I mean we have a section of skills called “dual wield”.

S/S:

3-Precise strike- Slash your foe vertically inflicting vulnerability if they were charging a skill.
680 (.4*) Damage
Vulnerability duration 8 seconds (5 stacks)
Range 130
Cast time 1/4 second.
Initiative cost 4

4- Blind spot- Enter a counter stance. If hit within melee range, teleport behind your foe and stab them applying reveal.
550(1.4*) Damage.
Counter stance duration 2 seconds.
Attack duration .75 seconds.
Reveal duration 5 seconds.
Initiative 4
->Sword trick- throw your blade at your foe applying blind to nearby foes if struck.
400(1.2*) Damage.
Blind duration 3 seconds
Radius 150
Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile 100%.
Initiative 1

5-Ambush attack-Leap at your foe dealing bonus damage if they are blinded. (out in the open fighters, instead of stealth attacking. Similar skill to BS except for builds that don’t want to spec for stealth directly.)
850(1.6) Damage.
1520 (2.8) Damage if blinded.
Range 600
Combo Finisher: leap
Initiative 6.

P/s

3- Gouged wound- slash your foe crippling them and fire at the same spot keeping their wound open. Continuous projectiles apply bleed to this target.
Slash damage 280(0.6*).
Cripple duration 4 seconds.
Cast time 3/4 seconds.
Shot damage 300(1.4)
Cast time .2 seconds
Wound duration 4 seconds(applies even if sword hit misses).
Wound bleed duration 1 stack for 5.5 seconds.
Initiative 4.

D/S

3- Blade Transfer- Thrust your sword into your foe.
Damage 550(1.3*)
Range 130
Impaled duration 5 seconds.
Cast time 3/4 seconds.
Initiative 3
->Blade retrieval- Recover your blade and stab your foe, transferring conditions based on how long the blade was impaled. (can be blocked transferring nothing).
0-3 seconds 1 condition transferred
3+ seconds 2 conditions transferred
Damage 120(1.8*)
Range 150.
Cast time 1/2 seconds
Initiative 2.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

GW2’s Thief is not WoW’s Rogue. OH Sword really makes more sense for the Ranger than it does for the Thief. I’d like to see MH Axe, Martial Staff, Claws, Whips, Crossbows, etc.

Also, the main reason it doesn’t ‘fit the class’ is because Thieves are primarily dagger users. D/S would look and feel even sillier than D/P does currently.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Thief

Posted by: Potato.7318

Potato.7318

To be honest, I just want to see the dual swords on my thief. If this came out, I would expect to see more offensive skills (as you are holding 2 frikkin swords) and in return, you would be giving up some utility such as blind and daze from pistol and stealth and cripples from dagger.

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“As much as I love the look of a two handed sword it just wouldn’t fit with the thief
archetype. There are many MMOs, and books where a thief type character dual wields swords. It’s the nimble master swordsman that wears light leather armor and is quick to evade/parry attacks. "

I would agree that a two handed sword isn’t a great fit but remember that Conan the Barbarian was actually a thief.

Most fantasy situations where thief types use off hand parrying weapons are covered by long daggers (as much as short swords). The cosmetics for GW2 generally show massive swords that do not equate to a light off hand weapon. I have to be quite selective in finding short main hand weapons for my thief since most seem long enough to drag along the ground when sheathed.

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

“As much as I love the look of a two handed sword it just wouldn’t fit with the thief
archetype. There are many MMOs, and books where a thief type character dual wields swords. It’s the nimble master swordsman that wears light leather armor and is quick to evade/parry attacks. "

I would agree that a two handed sword isn’t a great fit but remember that Conan the Barbarian was actually a thief.

Most fantasy situations where thief types use off hand parrying weapons are covered by long daggers (as much as short swords). The cosmetics for GW2 generally show massive swords that do not equate to a light off hand weapon. I have to be quite selective in finding short main hand weapons for my thief since most seem long enough to drag along the ground when sheathed.

As far as cosmetics go, that has already been done and looks silly. Take Moonshine mace skin MH and a regular sword OH for a warrior. They are still swinging with that bottle. Also this is a mmo, weapon balance shouldn’t be a priority over simple reasoning as in giving the thief all their 1h weapons in a duel wielded fashion. Also I know some pretty long daggers that get rather close to sword length, its all about how you suit yourself up.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

There is a reason why traditional archetypes need to be at least loosely followed. If not then we would have plate wearing Elementalists in Ham/Bow spec, permastealthing around, blowing up zergs with aoe bomb kits, and summoning dead minions.

Well maybe it wouldn’t get that bad but, without some guidelines of traditional archetypes to follow we will begin to see homogenization among all the classes. I don’t want to wield a GS as a thief for the same reasons I don’t want to wear plate, and use engi kits. Each class needs abilities that it can not access and weapon sets that it can not use.

Actually, there is precedent for that kind of freedom with the original Guild Wars, where you could use any weapon you pleased on your character. Assassins could use spear/shield, and Rangers could use hammer.

In this game it doesn’t work quite like that, of course, but that doesn’t mean the game can’t provide the players with greater variety. Thief using offhand sword or greatsword is hardly equivalent to kits or heavy armor, especially given the current weapon options available to other classes.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’d love a Dagger/Sword build with sword offhand having some sexy counter/parry type skills. I miss block tank GW1 Assassins. :<

And there’s no such thing as “doesn’t fit the class.” Not in this world. Thieves aren’t WoW Rogues they are Assassins who’ve lost their way and fallen to petty thievery because Cantha is gone.

They’ll reclaim their former glory one day.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

“They are Assassins who’ve lost their way and fallen to petty thievery because Cantha is gone.
They’ll reclaim their former glory one day.”

~Doggie.3184

This is my favorite quote now.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

in Thief

Luto.1938

<—- This thief will never carry something as cumbersome as a two handed sword. After all how am I supposed to carry all my stolen treasures and make my great escape if I’m weighed down by that big sword?

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Pistol/sword ftw, lul.

But it should make sense. We are supposed to be ambidextrous.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: Arnon.1563

Arnon.1563

I’d love to use an off hand Rapier. I’d love to have a good build that is more tanky and less reliant on stealth based on this. Perhaps a protection buff and ageis or retal on a skill?

in Thief

Posted by: SaltyDave.7346

SaltyDave.7346

Indeed I want dual swords, but definitly not with skills like the ones in OP.