Oh no, I like D/P...

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I’ve been training myself to use D/D for WvW, so I’ve taken it against some of the most disadvantaged matchups in PvP duels. Obviously I lose – a lot. But hey, that’s fine; it’s the only way to learn, and I like to believe I still give people a run for their money.

So out of curiosity, I went D/P…

…And it’s adorable-kitten-full-of-cuteness AWESOME. (and I am so ashamed to admit that!)

Stealth whenever I needed, without needing to aim my CnD. Teleport facestab for easy burst. Mix it with D/D and who cares if I lack range? I’m practically leaping back and forth everywhere and destroying everything. Like what the heck? This is so OP!

So…what must I do to keep myself from devolving into the meta D/P nub teef that spam 2+5 and nothing else? I mean, using D/P with strategy isn’t….gimmicky, right? Right?

Please say right.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I’ve been training myself to use D/D for WvW, so I’ve taken it against some of the most disadvantaged matchups in PvP duels. Obviously I lose – a lot. But hey, that’s fine; it’s the only way to learn, and I like to believe I still give people a run for their money.

…And it’s adorable-kitten-full-of-cuteness AWESOME. (and I am so ashamed to admit that!)

Stealth whenever I needed, without needing to aim my CnD. Teleport facestab for easy burst. Mix it with D/D and who cares if I lack range? I’m practically leaping back and forth everywhere and destroying everything. Like what the heck? This is so OP!

So…what must I do to keep myself from devolving into the meta D/P nub teef that spam 2+5 and nothing else? I mean, using D/P with strategy isn’t….gimmicky, right? Right?

Please say right.

You’re weak and pathetic. Suck it up!

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

Hey, just have fun. I played d/p most of the time, but after i got addicted to s/d it feels boring and slow. Even d/d is more fun.

But if you like the gameplay, i cannot see any problem with d/p. The blind is really strong, so is d/p. If a new thief player joins our guild, i always suggest learning d/p first, because it is easy and strong.

Like I said, just have fun.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

What I like about D/P is that, contrary to what many people claim, you actually use all skills on a regular basis.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Please say right.

piece of advice

Don’t allow other people to tell you what to do with your own life.

And apply that in game societies as well.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

piece of advice

So that means I should go, “the kitten with logical meta. I’m going back to D/D because it’s purdy”

o.o

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

piece of advice

So that means I should go, “the kitten with logical meta. I’m going back to D/D because it’s purdy”

o.o

no, just do w/e you want.

Use whatever build you want, play however you want as long as it’s legal.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

Please say right.

Use every ability when it’s needed and conserve initiative. Or spam 3 + AA with D/P it’s funny, does a lot of damage and keeps blind on.

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

This is what i feel when i see our thief community.

Attachments:

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

It’s not that we feel pro, I acknowledge I’m giving myself an unfair advantage. It just feels right. D/D is our iconic weaponset. That and Im a human being so naturally I dislike what everyone else likes like Flappy Bird, D/P, Apple Inc., and Pewdiepie

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

What I like about D/P is that, contrary to what many people claim, you actually use all skills on a regular basis.

Yes, I played d/p a long time ago when It wasn’t popular (December of 2012) and it was hilarious because no one understood it, and it was one of the most fun builds I’ve played for that exact reason. Now I play p/d because so many people complain about it now. Granted I still have the armor and run it some times, it just got annoying, and, eventually, repetitive.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Neomir.7493

Neomir.7493

it just got annoying, and, eventually, repetitive.

+1 Really can’t stand it anymore. SD is where it’s at, also the much faster pace suits me more. D/P is very clunky especially after the init regen fix.

Super-effective at it’s job, however…

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

I still find d/d better in WvW even though I use d/p almost exclusively in spvp. There is such lag in WvW that you can drop a player out of nowhere regardless of which set you use and d/d lets you do it on demand instead with a setup.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: delriaan.7854

delriaan.7854

D/D is effective when your play style consists of frequent stealthing and short bursts of attacks. Trait structure is key for that. I use a long-reach + stealth_on_steal + blind_on_stealth set that really freaks enemies out when I steal. From there I try to crit, get a few hits in, and then it’s stealth again. Throw in a thief trap just to irritate people, and it’s quite amusing and effective.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

I still find d/d better in WvW even though I use d/p almost exclusively in spvp. There is such lag in WvW that you can drop a player out of nowhere regardless of which set you use and d/d lets you do it on demand instead with a setup.

This is very true. Advantage of D/D is its stealth without a combo. Against multiple targets, you can CnD off of anything for that lovely BV+backstab combo.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: aLovedhater.4096

aLovedhater.4096

There’s nothing with using D/P. anet put D/P in the game for a reason, and that reason wasn’t so everyone can hate on it and be-little anyone who uses it ^^

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Karolis.4261

Even thieves hate on D/P. That says something.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s mostly because it’s EZ mode thief. EZ mode anything is usually frowned upon by the gaming community.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

It’s not that we feel pro, I acknowledge I’m giving myself an unfair advantage. It just feels right. D/D is our iconic weaponset. That and Im a human being so naturally I dislike what everyone else likes like Flappy Bird, D/P, Nutella, and Pewdiepie

I was with you until you said you dislike Nutella.
Get the pitchforks, boys.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

Play what you like. That being said, if you want to use the full range of skills and tactics with d/p then it’s usually best to go 30 into trickery. By doing that you still have great damage and enough initiative to do more than black powder and heartseeker. When you do it right you’ll find you have the initiative for a ton of blinds and cluster bombs. You don’t even need to stealth much with the kit…

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

I don’t feel the complaining is justified. It really isn’t any better than another set. Though I don’t use it as my main build anymore, it is still very fun to play, and I do roam with it sometimes. It’s not super easy node. Since the fix to Off hand dagger a few months back, I find d/p and d/d to be equals. People don’t necessarily hate the layout, they just hate losing, and since it makes the learning curve easier, they die more often to it, and, thus complain. To play d/p well yields nearly identical results to every other thief layout (except p/d Condi builds)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

It’s not that we feel pro, I acknowledge I’m giving myself an unfair advantage. It just feels right. D/D is our iconic weaponset. That and Im a human being so naturally I dislike what everyone else likes like Flappy Bird, D/P, Apple Inc., and Pewdiepie

I was with you until you said you dislike Apple inc.

Fixed

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

As long as you play thief, play what you enjoy most and play best, because there will always be things out there that are more cheddar, like perplexity engineers, PU mesmers, warriors and zerker guardians.

Personally I don’t find the difference between D/P and D/D to be really meaningful when both sets are played well. D/D requires you to keep an eye out for the enemy’s boons, higher situational awareness and good positioning. D/P is more straight on with stealth out of nowhere and the ability to spam blinds and teleports, making it overall a bit easier, but on a wide perspective D/P has a high skill-cap too.

I’ve played through every weaponset and nearly every build and grew tired of outdrawn fights and stealthspam to survive, and the whole idea of putting a mere point in SA makes me wanna vomit. So, most of the time I play:
25/30/0/0/15 – D/D + SB
10/30/0/0/30 – D/P + SB | S/P + SB | S/D + SB

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Arikyali.5804

I don’t want to stealth spam d/p. I use it mainly as a gap closer (my build is pretty unforgiving to the HS spamming) a blind, a quick daze, and I still have mainhand dagger skills. Since taking it to WvW, I think I only used the BP+HS combo once, and that was because I was desperately low on health, with all my escapes on cooldown.

D/D as a main set, and D/P as a swap set (P/D against annoying warriors) It’s awesome, and I can still be classy with wielding the same type of weapon in both hands.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I don’t want to stealth spam d/p. I use it mainly as a gap closer (my build is pretty unforgiving to the HS spamming) a blind, a quick daze, and I still have mainhand dagger skills. Since taking it to WvW, I think I only used the BP+HS combo once, and that was because I was desperately low on health, with all my escapes on cooldown.

D/D as a main set, and D/P as a swap set (P/D against annoying warriors) It’s awesome, and I can still be classy with wielding the same type of weapon in both hands.

If you only used bp+hs once then you’re losing a lot of damage on the set. Try this trick: precast bp then extremely quickly hit infiltrator signet so that your blackpowder happens right on your opponent. You can then heartseeker into it and if they dodge or use a movement skill to get away cast backstab and quickly steal to connect the BS and mug.

Using two melee sets is quite redundant; I suggest you pick d/d or d/p and use shortbow as the swap

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

D/P is one of the few Thief sets where I feel like everything has synergy with everything else. I’m never simply using the same power over and over or the same strategy. S/D used to feel this way but has been neutered so badly that I feel like I’m simply a bag of tricks with no power behind it (tickling my enemy to death isn’t my idea of strategy).

D/P feels right.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I think d/p is actually well rounded weapon set for pvp (but still no so great for pve) and every skill is used frequently… i think the issue is with other sets where half of the skills are rarely used due to not being so great or other spells being better but cost a lot of initiative leaving no alternative….

Take d/d as an example, it is extremely offensive, high dmg set. But all honestly when do you ever use death blossom as zerker thief? Dancing dagger is also very situational.

If you look at s/p, it is really strong atm but really only due to pw spam. The thing is though you will rarely use any other skills in that set simply because pw is very effective and costs a lot of ini.

Tl/dr: other weapon sets need to be rebalanced dmg and utility wise so it doesn’t come down to spam 3 and nothing else.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

It’s mostly because it’s EZ mode thief. EZ mode anything is usually frowned upon by the gaming community.

More like Shadow Arts is EZ mode for WvW. Pretty much like PU on mesmers.

Any weaponset with Shadow Arts is EZ mode, D/P, D/D, S/D.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Karolis.4261

More like Shadow Arts is EZ mode for WvW. Pretty much like PU on mesmers.

Any weaponset with Shadow Arts is EZ mode, D/P, D/D, S/D.

Its not stealth that makes D/P hard to fight against (speaking from d/d thief pov) its 3 sources of blinds on single weaponset. So I dont rly care SA or no SA.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Sceinna.3561

Sceinna.3561

Moar moar D/P hype! So it finally gets the nerf it needs. Seriously, Thief is an awesome class.. but stealthing should only be possible while actively fighting, not out of thin air.. and I’m not even talking about the mass op blindness. Thief would be a much better class and less hated on if it actually required any skill (not saying other classes do.. lol, GW2 is pretty casual)

I don’t only blame D/P though, the most annoying aspect for me is Shadow Refuge, aka reset fight with 90% chance of succeeding. 13s of stealth is just.. meh. Yeah, it’s an awesome skill in small scale fights or in PvE when ressing someone.. but the stealth stacking on it is just bullkitten. imo

Hi Kylla

Oh ps: any D/P lovers, please don’t respond with the “d/p requires most skill because of initiative management”, you are wrong, you are lame and you are bad in PvP/WvW, which is why you play full cheese. Just don’t respond, I’m done answering those responses.

(edited by Sceinna.3561)

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

It’s not that we feel pro, I acknowledge I’m giving myself an unfair advantage. It just feels right. D/D is our iconic weaponset. That and Im a human being so naturally I dislike what everyone else likes like Flappy Bird, D/P, Nutella, and Pewdiepie

Peanut butter > Nutella

Especially on a granny smith apple.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

You know a build is stupid strong when a D/P thief can fight 3 people at once, and walk away whenever he wants. Hell, screw walking away, they can keep on fighting and act like they’’ve never been hit with how much health regen they get in stealth.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: hardidildy.1062

hardidildy.1062

Peanut butter > Nutella

Especially on a granny smith apple.

HELL NO peanut butter is poo compared to Nutella

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: hardidildy.1062

hardidildy.1062

You know a build is stupid strong when a D/P thief can fight 3 people at once, and walk away whenever he wants. Hell, screw walking away, they can keep on fighting and act like they’’ve never been hit with how much health regen they get in stealth.

dp is def and strong set but if 3 people can’t beat 1 dp thief(assuming they are spec for right) they are bad thats all there is to it.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

dp is def and strong set but if 3 people can’t beat 1 dp thief(assuming they are spec for right) they are bad thats all there is to it.

The problem isn’t player skill. The fact of the matter is that D/P gets to completely control the flow of the fight when they want. At no moment can you be stopped going into stealth, and from there it is invisible wack-a-mole to whoever the D/P thief is fighting. Some classes rely on their long cooldowns in order to win, and playing guessing games against an invisible opponent (who is getting back a huge % of health every second while stealthed, mind you) makes for a very tiring fight that no one wants to do.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

The problem isn’t player skill. The fact of the matter is that D/P gets to completely control the flow of the fight when they want. At no moment can you be stopped going into stealth, and from there it is invisible wack-a-mole to whoever the D/P thief is fighting. Some classes rely on their long cooldowns in order to win, and playing guessing games against an invisible opponent (who is getting back a huge % of health every second while stealthed, mind you) makes for a very tiring fight that no one wants to do.

It is an issue of player skill.
Interrupting a D/P thief’s stealth is really easy to do. Just interrupt the Heartseeker. Its not difficult and has a HUGE tell. A total of at least 5/4 seconds prep time, if not more to be precise. If you cannot interrupt a combo with 5/4 seconds setup time, then this is an issue of player skill.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: alvinjason.3109

alvinjason.3109

Its easy to play dp thats why i play it all the time but it can be countered easily.

Devona’s Rest → NSP [SA] [TeaP]

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Interrupting a D/P thief’s stealth is really easy to do. Just interrupt the Heartseeker. Its not difficult and has a HUGE tell. A total of at least 5/4 seconds prep time, if not more to be precise. If you cannot interrupt a combo with 5/4 seconds setup time, then this is an issue of player skill.

Yes, because everybody has spammable interrupts they can use on D/P to stop their spamming. rolls eyes

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Azgarn.2145

Azgarn.2145

Yeah, interrupting them is easy… if your not melee or blinded, which you will be blinded. Even if you interrupt them once, shadowstep away/shadow refuge/blinding powder and the thief is just dandy again. Then can continue to BPS and stealth while your CC/blanket aoe is on cd.

Coll Ôhmsford
[IB]
“For a few to be immortal, many must die.”

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

P/D and D/D are way easier to take on multiple opponents. P/D being the easiest because you do it from range.

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Good, another easy kill for my engi.
Bad DP are way better than bad DD. A bad DD will still kill you if you don’t pay attention. A bad DP will not.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Oh no, I like D/P...

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Good, another easy kill for my engi.
Bad DP are way better than bad DD. A bad DD will still kill you if you don’t pay attention. A bad DP will not.

What about bad d/p that uses d/d to burst?

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?