Ok, tell me - how to use D/D 3!! D:

in Thief

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I’m really getting tired of this: An enemy attacks me, I dodge with D/D 3, the enemy attacks me again, I want to try to dodge again too with 3 but even by pressing at the right moment he still waits til dagger auto attack animation is done and jumps too late -> result: I get struck.

How do you deal with it? It’s definitly not lag, since I can time other skills on other professions too. I really suffer from waiting for the last animation ending. It’s just 1/4 sec dodge, and if its so random it’s nearly impossible to use.

Is there a trick?

tyvm >.<

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Thief

Posted by: Gallows.4318

Gallows.4318

Turn off auto attack and take control yourself :-)

CTRL+RMB enables/disables auto attack for a weapon skill.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

But if i click once 1 the animation won’t get interrupted by 3 wich causes sometimes a long delay. :/ So how can I interrupt a skill by myself? >_>

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Why are you using Death Blossom to dodge in the first place? Why are you not just using a normal dodge?

in Thief

Posted by: Swimfan.8014

Swimfan.8014

I’m really getting tired of this: An enemy attacks me, I dodge with D/D 3, the enemy attacks me again, I want to try to dodge again too with 3 but even by pressing at the right moment he still waits til dagger auto attack animation is done and jumps too late -> result: I get struck.

How do you deal with it? It’s definitly not lag, since I can time other skills on other professions too. I really suffer from waiting for the last animation ending. It’s just 1/4 sec dodge, and if its so random it’s nearly impossible to use.

Is there a trick?

tyvm >.<

Uhm no, there isn’t imo.
I quit relying on (3) at low-level like every other thief I know did. You can sure use it sometimes but don’t bet your life on it since it has no golden value anyways:
- damage is not that useful
- it costs you ini you could spend somewhere else
- it has no hidden purpose like jumping really wide to reach the next monster (like heartseeker also does in a way)
AND last but not least – monsters turn around as fast as you so thinking you’d be on the monsters backside by the time deadly blossom is over is the first thing that proves false about this attack.

That’s just my opinion but I think (3) is sadly (cool animation tho) the most useless attack the thief has on d/d – even behind that dagger-throw.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

It’s a free evade, since (new to thief) we got no vigor and somehow often gain aggro. I just would like to be able to use it as a dodge.

in Thief

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Look at the duration on the evade:

¼ s

Yeah. It used to be longer (read: useful as an evade), but at a quarter second, you can’t time it well – the only way you get an evade out of it is to spam it when there’s lots of mobs on you.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

So it has been nerfed? Sad Well it’s really allways a little “happyness-party-moment” in my head when I dodge an attack with it since it feels so hard. But how do I manage to stay with DD aganst a boss? He turns around wants to hit me, so shall I backoff and reengage with heartseeker? Well he just hits me again >_> So PP? Seems to be the best ranged single target dps thx to 3.

Sometimes I think of using SP cuz of its insane 3 skill against champs. Normally 5 yes, but blind won’t work on champs+ that great so the hidden evade on 3 seems to be too strong imo.

So should I quit using DD or just 5,1,5,1 til 25% and then 2,2,2,2 while praying for not getting struck? :/

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

If you’re face to face with an enemy then either it should be blind or you should not be there. Bosses with defiant are practically immune to blind so just don’t stand in front of them. There are times when having a death blossom evade is useful, for instance when you’re not evading a specific attack but want more evade time generally against multiple attacks.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

talking about dungeons btw ^^ sry for that

in Thief

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

In a dungeon you’re with a team.
When you have D/D you can just use C&D to lose agro a bit and run behind the boss to backstab him.

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

steps:

1) never use it defensively
2) use it only in condition build
3) dont use it in pvp

whys?

1) aftercast is so slow that if u were spamming them you would have a 1/4s evade every 1.75 seconds. not going to help much if at all.

2) its not quite as reliable in control as FS LS so you cant maneuver like you want as easily anyway.

3) its sub par dmg and has 3 bleeds, 2 of which usually hit

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

This is why there are a bunch of threads discussing how D/D 3 (and 4) can be changed. 15 in acro and blind on stealth will put you in a much better place defensively. If you feel that this is affecting your DPS too much, put just the 15 in acro, use withdraw and vigorous recovery. If D/D 3 didn’t lock you into the aftercast, it might be useful, but right now it’s more of a detriment to use. This is also where a lot of complaints about thief skill spamming come from since we can choose the best skill for the job and really only 1,2,&5 (and rarely 4) are useful.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Travlane.5948

This is why there are a bunch of threads discussing how D/D 3 (and 4) can be changed. 15 in acro and blind on stealth will put you in a much better place defensively. If you feel that this is affecting your DPS too much, put just the 15 in acro, use withdraw and vigorous recovery. If D/D 3 didn’t lock you into the aftercast, it might be useful, but right now it’s more of a detriment to use. This is also where a lot of complaints about thief skill spamming come from since we can choose the best skill for the job and really only 1,2,&5 (and rarely 4) are useful.

but nobody uses 4. :P unless u mean that .01%. i cant remember the last timei used mine.

your points are dead on. idk when it changed since i rarely use it but i remember spamming it in my bleed d/d build which was about 6 months ago. something semi recent changed and now u can still spam it but its MUCH slower leaving the thief open to alot of dmg.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

2 ways to use DB on d/d

1: equip all carrion, spam 3333333333 – profit.
2: equip zerker and forget your 3 key even exists – profit.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Turn off auto attack and take control yourself :-)

CTRL+RMB enables/disables auto attack for a weapon skill.

i will try it on this way, thx.

…and everybody says #3 is unusable, but it’s very effective against 100b and other abilities/attacks with a 180° attack radius and ‘cast’ time.

who the f*** runs with bleeding build and #3 since the patch with more condition removal? (WvW, pvp)

100b will own your DB spam. i bet 90% of the 100b attack hit you. that means you might dodge 1 out of 10. that is of course if the warrior doesnt afk in 1 spot and moves a couple of inches :P. very easy stuff. dont use DB as an evade. just trying to help. more important yet dont go blowing a bunch of gold on a d/d DB build. its not a competitive build. i like it for lvling up…but wouldnt use it outside of that. soon as u r ready for team play its totally useless. everyone else in the party stacks bleeds too so…. whywould they need more when 20-25 stacks is so easily achieved?

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

true. but nobody uses 4. :P unless u mean that .01%. i cant remember the last timei used mine.

your points are dead on. idk when it changed since i rarely use it but i remember spamming it in my bleed d/d build which was about 6 months ago. something semi recent changed and now u can still spam it but its MUCH slower leaving the thief open to alot of dmg.

I’m a little embarrassed to say, but I use it to clear blinds at range right before steal comes up so the full Steal+CnD lands. It’s mainly for LB warriors who use the blinding shot so I make sure I get the whirling axe to try to reflect pin-down. Nothing better than reflecting pin-down right on top of the war.

Rarely do I use it for it’s damage or utility though….

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

The reason it’s not working for you is most likely because Death Blossom has an extremely small dodge window. I believe the actual dodge dodge window is something like half a second, maybe a little more? Death Blossom is a quarter of a second. Meaning you have to have your anticipation absolutely NAILED.

in Thief

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Death blossom has 3x 10 second bleeds, sneak attack (pistol stealth skill) by comparison has 5x 4 second bleeds. So a stealth attack inflicts 20 bleed hits over 4 seconds, and a regular attack stacks 30 bleed hits over 10 seconds. Death blossom should work as a condition damage stacking ability, you should be able to steal into range, spam death blossom 3 times, and use another skill to get out of range.

Actually, I might just start playing my thief again and try this… I haven’t played him since I got bored with my pistol/pistol power build in November.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

Isn’t thief anyway about using all the weapons depending on situation? I mean I don’t play the thief for a long time now but I’m used to change weapons from mesmer play. I often change the weapons multiple times for each dungeon run o.o

Btt: managed it yesterday to evade almost all fire explosions of the cof p1 endboss with dd3 to save vigor for at least one oh kitten dodge. I’m getting better and better at this

in Thief

Travlane.5948

The reason it’s not working for you is most likely because Death Blossom has an extremely small dodge window. I believe the actual dodge dodge window is something like half a second, maybe a little more? Death Blossom is a quarter of a second. Meaning you have to have your anticipation absolutely NAILED.

its impossible to nail it. anyone who says they can nail it timed…. maybe on SUPER LONG telegraphed skills but 98% of skills cant be dodged with DB by skill.

225millisecs is the average human reaction time. .25secs is the dodge time on db. go ahead and tell me how you are faster than speed of light. im ready and listening. (not you but any naysayers)

DB is a garbage skill. decent for tagging in pve but other than that id NEVER use it.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

tbh i’m not really sure if it’s really just 0.25sec or if it’s 3x 0.25 sec like the bleeding o.o’’

in Thief

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

Because of the skill queue. For thieves skill queue is kittened.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

tbh i’m not really sure if it’s really just 0.25sec or if it’s 3x 0.25 sec like the bleeding o.o’’

interesting thought… i have to check it… that’s should be a question at a-net… i doubt it, but i dodged so many times several attacks with 1x #3 that it might be…

Pretty much this. I doubt that I am able to dodge multiple attacks within 0.25 sec :o

in Thief

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Tried it last night, death blossom is pretty good as an AOE bleed. It tags each enemy near you 3 times with a 10 second bleed, with a carrion setup in spvp that’s about 4500 bleed damage per death blossom, and with my build I could do it 4 times in a row. Add in some venoms and you’re doing a ton of damage to a cluster of enemies.

Felt a lot like being a human hand grenade. F1-3-3-3-3-RUN AWAY

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

When I run a 0/30/30/10/0 D/D build, I use dagger #3 occasionally when I’m surrounded by clones and can use the dodge since it’s effectively a dodge that clears clones at the same time. It can be handy against MM necros as well.

in Thief

Xyonon.3987

Just wanted to reborn this thread. It is definitly NOT 1/4 sec evade. The full animation lasts longer and I’ve been testing around with this skill for a long time now. I really manage to evade nearly every attack. And I really don’t think that my human skills + internet ping / delay will be able to dodge that good with just 1/4 sec evade time. It is definitly 1/4 sec x 3 since he does 3 small attacks I guess. Was probably the only solution to stack 3 times bleeding within one animation? What ever – it is a great skill to save endurance.