P/P always horrible for dungeons?

in Thief

Posted by: AkiLeaves.2613

AkiLeaves.2613

I run a signet/crit build and can effectively use all weapon sets, but sometimes I really just enjoy using P/P and shooting the kitten out of single, “big” enemies.

I’ve been hearing that P/P is horrible, and should never be used. Is this true? Am I just gimping everyone and being a complete kitten if I whip out P/P on bosses? I’ve been sticking with D/D and S/P for bosses because of how bad I hear P/P is.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I use S/P and P/P in dungeons, and although pistol dps less than melee, it’s still great dmg. I prefer it to bow, the only thing bow is better for are the extra evades but then when people can’t time their dodges and need bow to evade, the dps is low.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

P/P also has the advantage of (without Richochet) being a single-target ranged attack. SB, while useful, can end up pulling more aggro than you can comfortably handle. With that in mind, AkiLeaves, this game’s still coded so that melee > ranged, for DPS.
You’re generally going to end up with S/P for trash or bosses, unless it’s completely counterproductive to melee. I’d put S/P > D/D, due to the weaponset’s overall abilities. Cleave/evasion/blind are hard to argue with.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in Thief

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

No, not really – it’s always horrible for more than just dungeons.

In all seriousness, it has its uses just by virtue of the fact that it’s ranged and primarily single-target, but it’s still very suboptimal in terms of both damage and utility, as an outgrowth of the fact that Vital Shot doesn’t supply enough DPS on its own and you’re forced to overuse Initiative while crippling your mobility to keep up reasonable DPS.

in Thief

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Run whatever you like.

Group appropriately.

P/P is horrible damage unless you absolutely must range a single-target.

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

P/P’s DPS is bad. Even on a single target, essentially the only DPS you get is from Unload which P/D might rival on DPS of a single target due to CnD and the stealth #1 attack.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: Ram Banson.4081

Ram Banson.4081

p/p is OP if you know how to use it.

Blùb [LuPi]

in Thief

Einlanzer.1627

p/p is OP if you know how to use it.

No… no, it isn’t.

in Thief

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Definitely not suitable for (serious) dungeon runs. If you’re doing it in a PUG, you’re doing a disservice to the group. With friends and guildies, by all means, if they allow you. Its fun to go ham with double pistols, but its certainly not effective. Don’t be “that guy.”

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Only place p/p has its place for dungeons is the volcanic fractal boss. When he bubbles, go stealth, and spam that 1 (since the bubble is # of attacks). At single target dps p/p is stronger if you have the set up, but sb brings far more utility and rarely do you come into single target bosses. You don’t even have to spec into sb and it has stronger hits if used correctly.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

In most places where you could sensibly use pistol/pistol there’s usually a better alternative. The interrupt on skill #4 can be useful, maybe for the dredge fractal final boss.

in Thief

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

I use it on fractal bosses. With an initative oriented build you can nearly spam your unload nonstop. daze and perma blind also comes handy in stiuatons. I don’t like being in close range with full zerker stuff. Much more safe this way and dps is compareable. But other than boss fights, it’s pretty inefficient I must admit.

in Thief

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

You’re always better off being in melee unless something must be ranged. I’d rather Shortbow for might stacking

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Thief

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I use P/P for world bosses and Karka Farming, running a strength rune berzerker/valk set with focus on might. Does crazy damage. Also easy to tag and bag single target mobs in a fast moving group to compete against the 1200 ranges who spam burst damage. People might hate on pistols but I have bags of loot that prove otherwise.

in Thief

Einlanzer.1627

I use P/P for world bosses and Karka Farming, running a strength rune berzerker/valk set with focus on might. Does crazy damage. Also easy to tag and bag single target mobs in a fast moving group to compete against the 1200 ranges who spam burst damage. People might hate on pistols but I have bags of loot that prove otherwise.

No, it just fools you into thinking it does more damage than it actually does, while leaving you bereft of either mobility or utility.

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

You can practically use anything for world bosses though, as now there will be zergs 24/7. Shortbow is also better at tagging as much enemies as possible without relying on a trait that only gives 50% in hitting other enemies. As for tagging single target champs, D/D HS spam with CnD/backstab usually get the tag fine.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.