P/P power build viable ?! check this out

in Thief

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

here is the build i use
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAqa4al0Mptp9NxsJ8PRBPhs9gEB4qknRb21PA-TFCEABcv/ABnAgtUCykyPDeAAdofAgDCgLq/QGA9tA-w

role:
group sniper, roaming (cant handle versus all build but easy to stealth away)

rotation:
traps-> sneak attack-> unload->body shot-> unload-> traps
dmg:
sneak attack 3k+1k bleed
unload 4k-7k depend on enemy armor
dont forget 40% dmg below 50% hp

have fun

maybe video soon if i’ll have time

in Thief

Posted by: Achey.3612

Achey.3612

i personally would swap out the trait in SA to get the hard to catch trait. since getting knocked down would be a pain on a p/p build. but it looks good so far.

in Thief

messiah.1908

you need some condi management
i only wish p/p would gain some power buff

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

Looks cool Messiah.

I’ve been earnestly trying to get P/P to work as well.

One thing, and this is just academic discussion here, but I’ve been giving it a lot of thought, and I think ricochet is tough to fit in to a power pistol build. I’m interested to hear your insight here.

Perhaps in a group setting, though, to your point, it would be fine.

I know this takes the build away from some of your key concepts, but given my druthers, I’d kit you out in something closer to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAqa4alsMp3p9NxsJ8PNRPRtdAcADIXjQ39wPEDA-TFCEABcv/ABnAgtUCykyPDeAAdofAgDCgLq/QGA9tA-w

Now you’re only a single target beast, but you’ve got a metric ton of ini regen, more dodge, and some sustained heals. In addition, I take away one trap, but I replace it with a stun break+ini bank, and give stealth back via HiS to maintain all that sweet, sweet Sneak Attack. I think all this ini would result in more DPS for you, even considering I’ve poached your executioner.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

messiah.1908

thanks!

ricochet mainly used in group environment and if playing against mesmer as they are hard to hit

i did try 8% healing as well. dont know if its good alone without ricochet

also shadow trap after using it feel bit clanky

but i like your ideas on ini regen but pay attention that i dont think you wanna burn your stun break for ini
also losing swiftness from TotC and range from pistol
but can work

so far 1v1 could take rangers, some engies, warriors, guardians,
had problems against p/d thieves, shatter mesmer if they catch you, d/d ele

in Thief

Posted by: Woaden.9425

Woaden.9425

I’ve been out roaming and in OS some with P/P today, and fared well, but this shatter mesmer just ate me for lunch several times, and I couldn’t get a win in!

In that instance, I sure wished i had ricochet.

Kole —Thief
youtube

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

messiah, it’s funny I was running the trapper build someone linked in here a while back in fractals for fun, and it was doing OK until there was a part where it was really bad. Then I came up with something similar to your setup, and it was the best build.

But I’ve been trying to come up with a power build for p/p that uses master trapper, and I think this might be it. I’ll give it a try later! Thanks for the build!

You can also swap out ricochet for bountiful theft too if you need to. I find that Ricochet on P/P is cool, but it doesn’t proc enough for my tastes.

in Thief

messiah.1908

so far p/p is still hard set for duels
the dmg just isnt enough combine with zerk armor set

shatter mesmer exelle in bursting as they can put you in 10% hp with 1 combo, go stealth and finish you, while in p/p thief you cant hit from stealth and your dmg is lower for bursting.
i manage to take some shatter mesmer by surprise with thieves guild and ambush combine with ricochet but my winning % is the lowest compare to other thief build and weapon set

i also played LB power trapper

so compare it to the LB ranger
1500 range>1050 range
1.5k-2k dmg from AA > 500-1.2k dmg from AA
1 sec AA < 0.82 AA
rapid fire 6-8k dmg < unload 5-7k dmg (but spammable)
15k base health > 10k base health
pet > no pet

so basically ranger better then the p/p set until you take it with group fight where the p/p set flourish

also so far ricochet procs nicely for me

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

so far p/p is still hard set for duels
the dmg just isnt enough combine with zerk armor set

shatter mesmer exelle in bursting as they can put you in 10% hp with 1 combo, go stealth and finish you, while in p/p thief you cant hit from stealth and your dmg is lower for bursting.
i manage to take some shatter mesmer by surprise with thieves guild and ambush combine with ricochet but my winning % is the lowest compare to other thief build and weapon set

i also played LB power trapper

so compare it to the LB ranger
1500 range>1050 range
1.5k-2k dmg from AA > 500-1.2k dmg from AA
1 sec AA < 0.82 AA
rapid fire 6-8k dmg < unload 5-7k dmg (but spammable)
15k base health > 10k base health
pet > no pet

so basically ranger better then the p/p set until you take it with group fight where the p/p set flourish

also so far ricochet procs nicely for me

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

When I play P/P i find out i spend more time in Shortbow than on P/P. But P/P has a lot of nice utilities. However, I must admit that it’s a very weak set, most of the things I do with it are easily attainable with other sets.
I play 2 0 0 6 6 with Assassin Reward when I use PP anyway.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

messiah.1908

hey hihey!

yes a seconds build i am using is 0,0,2,6,6 bit less dmg but more healing and daze abilities

i will try to put video of group play with this set. nice fast aoe (faster than the sb)

in Thief

Posted by: Hawkeye.9687

Hawkeye.9687

Instead of trying to create something strange and unique just play a standard p/p build like the one below which is more viable even in zergs .
You can chane sigil of fire for sigil of force . Don’t make complicated something that is simple.Specially for the new thieves.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAqa4alsMp0pdPx8J8PNxOhsdgFD480FPn+E-TFCBAB7pfQiHAAOq/AwJBILlfMqEEp9HY4IAQGA9xA-w

just from my experience

Main : Thief – Shadowdancer X
Alts : Warrior- Mesmer lvl 80 [Piken Square]
Death is just the beginning

in Thief

messiah.1908

Instead of trying to create something strange and unique just play a standard p/p build like the one below which is more viable even in zergs .
You can chane sigil of fire for sigil of force . Don’t make complicated something that is simple.Specially for the new thieves.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAqa4alsMp0pdPx8J8PNxOhsdgFD480FPn+E-TFCBAB7pfQiHAAOq/AwJBILlfMqEEp9HY4IAQGA9xA-w

just from my experience

havent you read that p/p set is not so viable?!
thus i and some other ppl try to make it

let me remind you that s/d at the beginning was strange . now its meta

ppl like us try new things . ppl like you probably copy only what works

in Thief

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

This is my build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZQQRAqa4al8MpypFOx0J0PNRORt9DEALonXxU0ZPsDA-TlDBABGp8o8DCgSKxg4IAsgJOAOABEpWBFnAgU0/EyDCoo9HSw8wEKB1RVFCBUeLA-w
It works quite fine, but I have to run away against 2 or more condi spammers.

in Thief

Posted by: Coenraad.8302

Coenraad.8302

I play P/P + D/P and i like it allot. Normaly just in pve, but tried it in tPvP yesterday and it worked nicely. For me ricochet is a must, it makes unload almost like a heal in itself
This is what i use for PvP. For Pve the only change is that i swap SR for Signet of agility.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZAQRAqa4al8Mp8pdPxzJ0PNxLhs9oKb8c9ZNnEA-TJBBwAAeAA02fgyJAocZAA

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I play P/P + D/P and i like it allot. Normaly just in pve

Hi,
what kind of numbers do you get for unload vs single target (say dungeon bosses)?

in Thief

messiah.1908

here is a vid on my trapper build while wvw zerg fight. must say the stealth is nice and much helpful. but still have to get used to place it on the right moment or the right spot to get the full 3 sec
the video is the first time i use it so havent got used to it much

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

When I run power I run P/P as a second set to D/D and then it’s fun… you get to do some ranged drilling but you are mainly using the goodies of D/D.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

I tried this out yesterday and it worked out alright. I feel like whenever I switch to my D/P set I’m not getting a high enough crit chance to backstab anyone. Hitting a non-crit 1.8k backstab is sad. If I switch to Hidden Killer I’d lose out on the Executioner bonus.

Also, 1 Immob and I got killed. I needed to switch out one of the traps for a stunbreak.

in Thief

Posted by: Coenraad.8302

Coenraad.8302

I play P/P + D/P and i like it allot. Normaly just in pve

Hi,
what kind of numbers do you get for unload vs single target (say dungeon bosses)?

Sorry for the late reply, i am not a frequent forum visiter.

I hit for anything between 3,2-5,2k. As long as fury is up you are virtualy allways close to 5k, with sometimes a little above.
But on bosses i do also use D/P as that gets nice crits, especlaly at low health. Where executioner and HS do allot for your damage.
When you have 3 targets with P/P and fury, you have good chances for 10+k unloads

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

here is a vid on my trapper build while wvw zerg fight. must say the stealth is nice and much helpful. but still have to get used to place it on the right moment or the right spot to get the full 3 sec
the video is the first time i use it so havent got used to it much

Nothing against you or anything, you did pretty well, but that video just confirmed what I already knew about p/p. It really kitten boring. :P