POLL: a thief introspective

in Thief

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Exactly as it says on the tin: I’ve compiled a poll with questions regarding common points that have been raised in the forum (eschewing calls dev interaction).

No need to sign in and responses are completely anonymous.

I’d like to use it to aggregate people’s outlooks, thoughts, and usage of Thief in the present game as a means to see what people both want most and what most needs to change.

Short URL: http://goo.gl/forms/8vYT6Ghx3w

Long URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-cpLjUs33rsfD1BaSssxbKX9b5Is5wAXhFzjoOIwYQs/viewform?usp=send_form

If you don’t feel like responding and just want to view the results (this includes you, developers!), please use this link.

Note: did I miss something? Probably! Don’t be afraid to add suggestions for things to be included.

CHANGELOG:

• Added Dagger/Dagger (#3), Pistol/Pistol (#3) skills as “weapons needing changing” options.
  • Changed all condition responses to be OPTIONAL after browsing reddit linked in a reply below.
  • Skill groups needing traits is now OPTIONAL. (Aug 23, ~19:05 EST)
  • Added missing Confusion condition (thanks all!) and the also missing Stun and Daze conditions (Aug 24, ~08:50 EST) — 720 responses at this time.

(edited by fluffdragon.1523)

in Thief

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Which weapon do you think needs the most improvement? *

WHERE IS DAGGER DAGGER 3?!?!!?!?

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

(edited by Serious Thought.5394)

in Thief

fluffdragon.1523

Which weapon do you think needs the most improvement? *

WHERE IS DAGGER DAGGER 3?!?!!?!?

OH SNAP LEMME GO CHECK MAN.

Added and re-ordered. Sorry about that!

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Thinking like a dev:

The spec release seemed to have been great.
I gather that the shortbow needs a nerf, since it’s ALWAYS used. Must be because it’s too stronk.
All the weapon sets are fine, so that means they’re all viable. Don’t think we need to focus on adjusting them.
I don’t think they appreciate how much condi-clears and condi-applications they have now, better nerf em some more to realize what they took for granted.
I think they could use taunt.
But let’s not focus too much on the condi’s since we want to break the new meta.
I don’t think they realize how underpowered deception skills are, need to nerf em some moar.
But let’s not focus on just changing skills…
Actually, we think deadly arts and trickery need the most work. Specifically in toning them down.
But yeah, let’s not focus on traits too much either.
Eh, they can’t seem to use the new Feline Grace properly. Just have to give them time.
Man, they really don’t appreciate some of the traits they have, better nerf’em to make them see what they took for granted.
Well, at least 2 players appreciate our ricochet change. It was too RNG to be in game.
Better buff Assassin’s retreat.
But yeah, can’t have all our focus on traits…
Think stealth needs moar buffs, they seem to be constantly dead, but always depend on it….
On the other hand, think it could use more of a nerf, they seem to use it for way too much. Making reveal for 10 seconds seems about right. Oh and give it a 10 seconds taunt too, then it can have a tanking role.
Noobs can’t play they’re class well, complaining about survivability. Trolls…
They seem to have some class that they usually win against or it’s a 50/50 chance, better go look at those class and “adjust” (improve/buff) them.
Better remove waypoints for them.
Good thing we killed Tybalt, no one liked him.
Think the new elite spec mechanic needs to be pets, and we will give them a miniture/baby Trahearne as their only pet.

AAAHHHH, fudge it. We have our own agenda to follow on how to make a great game that the whole community will love.

So guys, do you think I could be on the balancing team?

/kappa

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

in Thief

Posted by: Kocoff.7582

Kocoff.7582

Man I really hope that THIS TIME we get a Dev’s attention because he put in some work to quantify how people feel about this profession. Thank you so much mate.

You see this people? He is bringing hope to the community. God bless you my fellow Thief.
May your cunning reflexes be forever sharp, and may your magic find be forever effective.

PS: if you don’t know what a particular trait used to do prior to patch, you can look it up here.
I want people to answer accurately without a QQ mindset. Look up the old trait and compare. Don’t foil his efforts please.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait_Guide_

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Nice work. My only complaint is I feel pve/pvp/wvw should be separated a bit better. For example there are some weapons/traits/utilities I use in pvp but never in pve. Hope the devs take some time to at least glance through these.

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

suggestion – try posting this elsewhere (the reddit for example) to get more responses.

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

Gray, you can just selflessly promote. Like so https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Figured-it-out.

Also, Zero- you missed one key aspect. Thief is able to avoid detection and inflict decent damage, make sure to buff it. When Thief gains Revealed inflict Taunt on nearby enemies and weakness/sow on Thief. Now Thief can become tank.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

suggestion – try posting this elsewhere (the reddit for example) to get more responses.

Yeah, it needs to be posted elsewhere too. Reddit, pvp forums, wvw, so on.

Currently there’s only a handful of people that have taken the survey, which really doesn’t mean much… You would need like +1k at the very least to start to say something.

Oh and I was just trolling with that “thinking like a dev”… I did do the survey seriously though. Though added your taunt suggestion, Serious.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Dat 100% acrobatics needs fixing doh….

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

i don’t give a kitten guys. As of now there are 173 views, THERE SHOULD BE AN EXTRA 173 RESPONSES The bigger the response, the bigger the attentions we should get.

Anybody who had a statistic class should know the benefits of responses.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I can repost it on reddit… but chances are I will get downvoted to kittens.

Like, if you’re part of the GW2 kitten on reddit, you get downvoted.

Here’s the link to it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3i43gx/poll_a_thief_introspective/

Well, epic fail, the kappa image is it’s thumbnail… That will surely attract all the good attention.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

If you post it on Reddit, people who hate thieves or don’t main Thieves will start sabotaging the results. It’s a good idea at first because you will get a guaranteed increase in responses but … it’s not the right population sample AT ALL.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

If you post it on Reddit, people who hate thieves or don’t main Thieves will start sabotaging the results. It’s a good idea at first because you will get a guaranteed increase in responses but … it’s not the right population sample AT ALL.

Want me to take it down…?

The thing is, you’re not going to get a “right population”… By posting it on these forums (thief forums) you get a biased opinion… by posting it anywhere else, you will get biased hate responses…

Best bet if you can get people from the game to take it…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

The thing is, you’re not going to get a “right population”… By posting it on these forums (thief forums) you get a biased opinion… by posting it anywhere else, you will get biased hate responses…

Point taken. I guess you are right. Let’s hope for the best. Maybe we should add a version that ask the respondent to put select the profession he/she mains.

Yeah let’s leave it there.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Point taken. I guess you are right. Let’s hope for the best. Maybe we should add a version that ask the respondent to put select the profession he/she mains.

Yeah… again, you’re depending on a person’s honesty on the Internet…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Slowmelt.8547

Slowmelt.8547

Yeah… again, you’re depending on a person’s honesty on the Internet…

But the objective isn’t really to push a point. This forum is basically of one mind, really, it’s just that we have no indication that Anet is even paying any attention to us.
Even if it makes the results messy and unreliable, maybe having it on reddit will at least get Anet to take a look in here and care.

in Thief

Posted by: Tarkan.5609

Tarkan.5609

I answered it and it was good
3 things I would like to see changed though:

• in the beginning, how often do you play each class (and maybe also each in PvP, PvE, WvW) to see what the voters usually play and from which class their opinion comes from
  • when classes are mentioned, some differentiation (like power or condi ranger) could be nice
  • I swear i had 3 in my mind…
PvP, Teef & Engi

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

237 results so far. The Community’s “Public Opinion” is starting to take shape. Ty Fluffy.

I just keep thinking “What’s so hard about making a comprehensible survey?” If Anet had done that a week after that cursed patch for every profession, we wouldn’t be complaining so much. Seriously Anet.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

237 results so far. The Community’s “Public Opinion” is starting to take shape. Ty Fluffy.

I just keep thinking “What’s so hard about making a comprehensible survey?” If Anet had done that a week after that cursed patch for every profession, we wouldn’t be complaining so much. Seriously Anet.

read Erih’s response.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: Niels.5396

Niels.5396

4 people dislike initiative, what are they even doing here. They don’t even play thief.

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

read Erih’s response.

I did actually. Although that ranger has some very good points it doesn’t push aside the fact that an official survey from Anet would be greatly appreciated. It is true there are flaws in this survey.

Just the fact that a player has to go out of their way to make a survey tells me that there is a lot of things Anet should start focusing on. They have people reading the threads 24/7, but that’s not satisfactory at all, especially when the only feedback I got so far was infraction points. That’s far from satisfactory.

Yes. Results are questionable, and I knew the formulated questions would draw some critics, but guess what, I welcome this survey with open arms.

At least here, we have a quantified idea how many people (may or may not) actually think this kittenty trait called “Acrobatics.”
About 80% of us (may or not) think that way, so we have a general idea of the quality of this spec.

This isn’t an econometrics thesis guys and this survey is better than nothing.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I did fill it in, can we get the same one for ranger ? PLEASE

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in Thief

fluffdragon.1523

read Erih’s response.

I did actually. Although that ranger has some very good points it doesn’t push aside the fact that an official survey from Anet would be greatly appreciated. It is true there are flaws in this survey.

Just the fact that a player has to go out of their way to make a survey tells me that there is a lot of things Anet should start focusing on. They have people reading the threads 24/7, but that’s not satisfactory at all, especially when the only feedback I got so far was infraction points. That’s far from satisfactory.

Yes. Results are questionable, and I knew the formulated questions would draw some critics, but guess what, I welcome this survey with open arms.

At least here, we have a quantified idea how many people (may or may not) actually think this kittenty trait called “Acrobatics.”
About 80% of us (may or not) think that way, so we have a general idea of the quality of this spec.

This isn’t an econometrics thesis guys and this survey is better than nothing.

I would like to point out that the entire “In Detail” page / section is OPTIONAL and need not be filled in. It’s largely there to survey groups who might have been playing before the patch went live and wish to “comment to the devs,” so to speak, on how changes were received.

As for the lack of definitive “buff” or “nerf” responses, I’d rather see people saying “this is what I want changed most” rather than “omg just buff everything” (or the counter “nerf teef plox” responses). Pointing out what needs change is far more productive than giving people the opportunity to be greedy.

As for being anything but academic? That’s the entire point.

A clean, clinical, controlled scenario is how we end up with where we are now. By permitting bais and sampling whoever takes the time (and thus cares enough) to fill out this fairly long survey, we can actually demonstrate the number of people who want change.

At over 340 responses or so thus far, the trends are not only apparent, but showing strongly. Is it single-minded, biased, and likely only a specific subset of Thief players who are responding? Maybe, but the sheer volume responding to the OPTIONAL PvP Face-Off segment (compared to those who preferred PvE) is as telling as the overwhelming demand to have Acrobatics changed.

And yes, I admit this is intentionally biased in points. It’s designed to aggregate and quantify the voices of the board into a single place. If the devs aren’t willing to dig through a million threads demanding the same thing, let’s put it in bright colors and pretty charts.

in Thief

fluffdragon.1523

I don’t have a reddit account (and don’t plan to have one as I rarely use the site anyway; you’d sooner find me on stackexchange or stackoverflow), so I’ll comment here:

Why no “buff”, “nerf”, or “thief is too strong” options?

This survey was created in response to how fragmented the thief forum is, yet how many of our threads are requests, demands, and outcries against the changes made to the profession. The intent is to unify and consolidate these feelings into data points.

While I can encourage people who might not play thief often to respond, I cannot say the survey is designed for them.

The same holds true for the ambiguity used in the language. Yes, it could be more specific, but it’s also personal. I want to know how YOU, the person on this forum, reading this post, and playing the Thief profession, feels.

That’s why I’m not using terms for “buff” or “nerf,” only for change and subjective good/bad. I do not want to open up that tin of eldritch horror! That’s why if you don’t like something or want to see it changed in ANY way, please indicate it as needing change.

That’s our goal: to bring to the developer’s attention what we, as a community want to see changed and to help open targeted dialog. At least this way it’s all in one place and based on actual, quantifiable responses.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

“What is your outlook on Thief as a class?
This question helps us determine your overall thoughts of where it is headed”

Is that question speaking in terms of currently? What our outlook is since the big patch, or what has it always been?

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

I had a poll for ascended gear (after armor), had +1k votes…. Yeah nothing came out of that.

So, don’t get your hopes up sending any kind of message. They have their own agenda, and their following it.

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

I just want tomorrow to be our reveal, so we can breathe a little.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

in Thief

Slowmelt.8547

I just want tomorrow to be our reveal, so we can breathe a little.

Pretty sure we’re going to be last.
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced that the new Thief specialization is the non-optional Prisoner specialization, which locks you in a non-interactive cell so you can’t have any of your bad, bad Thief fun.

Class loyalty is the last thing we have to lose.

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

I lost it. Ran to my Guardian sobbing. Speed leveling guardian to avoid the pain and loneliness of being abandoned on my Thief. =(

in Thief

Slowmelt.8547

I lost it. Ran to my Guardian sobbing. Speed leveling guardian to avoid the pain and loneliness of being abandoned on my Thief. =(

I know the feeling…
I hate that I’ve basically been reduced to being a doomsayer, but that’s the way things are going.

Ugh, when did I become so negative…?

in Thief

Serious Thought.5394

You asking me? Cuz idk. I used to be so happy logging on my thief now its like- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyTj4Sbtulo

in Thief

Slowmelt.8547

You asking me? Cuz idk. I used to be so happy logging on my thief now its like- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyTj4Sbtulo

It was a rhetorical question. I was just being dramatic.

in Thief

Gray.9041

the question about the steal mechanic could take more than 1 answer.

(for example, I think the stolen items are too random, and use it for either shadowstep or traits, depending on the situation. – that’s 3 options but I can only pick 1)

also, asking about our outlook on thief as a class is a bit vague:

I think it’s a good theme,
I think it’s good conceptually
I think it’s bad mechanically
I think the details (specific numbers on skills etc) are bad
I think the dev attention and treatment of the class is bad

it’s hard to put the above on a 1-5 scale.

also, confusion isn’t on the list of conditions

other than that, great poll, very in-depth, and probably more details than I could think of.

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Wait, we do have a way to apply burning…?

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Maybe burning was supposed to be confusion.

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

Yeah, I honestly can’t recall… Off the top of my head, the only access to burning we have is from the gunk stolen off of an engie….. lol….

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Maugetarr.6823

Yeah, I honestly can’t recall… Off the top of my head, the only access to burning we have is from the gunk stolen off of an engie….. lol….

AFAIK that’s the only place I know of for burning also. Bewildering amush has confusion attached to it though.

Another quick thought: Thief’s ability to survive combate goes from “dead”-“witness me!” Don’t you only get witnessed when you’re going to die?

Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele

in Thief

Zero Day.2594

AFAIK that’s the only place I know of for burning also. Bewildering amush has confusion attached to it though.

Another quick thought: Thief’s ability to survive combate goes from “dead”-“witness me!” Don’t you only get witnessed when you’re going to die?

Perhaps, it’s against the afkers/up-leveled … like they need to attract more attention…

Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

done, I hope someone with the power and will to change things will see it.
if not, thank you for putting the time to do it.

in Thief

Posted by: Amante.8109

Amante.8109

Thank you for taking the time to put this poll together; it asks the right kind of questions. I filled a response out to help, of course.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

So guys, do you think I could be on the balancing team?

You’d be perfect. In another thread you said “If only you hadn’t read about the changes” – and I red some stuff anet released before they really launched the game “GW2 will become the best balanced MMO. We won’t listen to whiners (something like that)” – and I wish they had sticked to that and not listened to anyone because I don’t even know what I want anymore – CnD being unblockable that would be soooo nice! And my old SA line back, did I already mention it?

But I did it again: A true 1 vs 1 with some Ogres (was better to move out of their range) – took me a while until the mesmer thought that he was invincible and got him down.

The chatbox is that big because reading map chat on my server is better than watching adult movies ;)

Attachments:

in Thief

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

Thanks for taking your time to create this poll, its really interesting to read. Unfortunately the devs don’t care and never will.

in Thief

Gray.9041

not really, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be in the poll. it’s a good way to see if people are happy without burning or want access to burning (anyone who says less however, is a kitten ed fool.)

in Thief

Kocoff.7582

where the hell is my weekly reveal………

We prayed at the wrong dieties guys. You should have offered our blood sacrifices to dat_shaman.

Blackgate Server [RLR]
Thief – Raiden Hayabusa
Thief – Gouki Kurokawa

(edited by Kocoff.7582)

in Thief

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I dislike quizbee, Clicking quizbee to be precise. waste of clicking lifespan.

tl;dr WITNESS ME

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

Zero-
That resume was fantastic. If you can manage to be slightly moar unimaginative and even lazier than Karl, I think the gig is yours fo’ sho’.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

in Thief

fluffdragon.1523

where the hell is my weekly reveal………

We prayed at the wrong dieties guys. You should have offered our blood sacrifices to dat_shaman.

Rely on iron, not on false gods.

(Speaking of shaman, I need to go check his blog posts…)

EDIT:

Looks like a previous thread tangentially remarking on dev silence was just eradicated (and all comments in it) about an hour ago. Seems they’re paying attention (or at least their @mod lackeys are), but they don’t want us critiquing them in any way.

It’s only acceptable to praise their glory (read: appreciation posts)?
Double-edit: Looks like that got locked, but not removed; so I suppose it still stands in part?

Do respond while this poll is still accessible from the forums.

(edited by fluffdragon.1523)

in Thief

Posted by: philheat.3956

philheat.3956

Very Good poll, gj.

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

not really, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be in the poll. it’s a good way to see if people are happy without burning or want access to burning (anyone who says less however, is a kitten ed fool.)

They just want less then zero burns, this that so much to ask for? -1 stack of burn, cleanse a enemy’s burn, that’s what we really need.

I’m surprised how many responses this gotten, Also surprised no one loved assassin,’s retreat, it was really good trait, 2 min of swiftness, yes pls, (pve applicable)