Patch notes : Shadow Strike applies torment

in Thief

Posted by: Tyr.5912

Tyr.5912

Ok, Torment.

+bleed duration does not effect torment. I have 80% bleed duration…. 40% condi duration. 5sec torment goes to 7secs… only getting the 40% bonus.

Tyr [CoF]
Ehmry Bay

(edited by Tyr.5912)

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I like how warriors got the most buffs this patch.

I hope you’re not surprised given that the head of the balance team is a freaking warrior.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: shadowraith.9124

shadowraith.9124

Looks better than it is IMO. I can’t see it synergising well with the build. You cnd for stealth, back away, apply bleeds then you need to move back into melee for this which puts you at range again so you can’t clock and dagger.

I really want to like the thief condi builds but they’re just too gimmicky atm.

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

I’ve been running 0-0-20-20-30
With frequent steals, perma-swiftness, and playing with shadow trap as a gap-closer/escape.

I get initiative through acrobatics, so I can use both 5 and 3 relatively easily. A typical rotation is 5 -1-3-1-1-steal+5-shadow trap-1-3-1-1-return (stealth+might+fury)- 1-3-1-1 throw a few dodges in there as needed. Of course you don’t always want to teleport away from your target, but it’s a nice thing to throw in especially vs meleers. Damage-wise, it’s essentially 3 bleeds, which is nothing to sneeze at.

One tip – when using pistol with offensive shadow-trap, you need to be careful about revealing yourself. I turned auto-attack off because I would always beat my pistol shot to my target, which would instantly reveal me after the teleport.

Regarding warrior buffs – what’s the big deal? Warriors have been the worst in PvP for a long time. Sure the PvE thing is annoying, but whatever…let them have it.

(edited by bobross.5034)

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

“Bleeds are removed first no matter what I believe.”

Last applied is removed first which is why it’s usually bleed – your aut attack refreshes the order

in Thief

Posted by: Seth.4927

Seth.4927

This change is amazing, before C&D was better than Shadow Strike in every situation, now you can see it to get away and leave some pressure on the enemy. Fought against a Sword/Focus+GS Guardian last night, everytime he used a gap closer I used Shadow Strike to get away, which resulted in me winning with full life. It will take some time to get accustomed with not using C&D every time, but this little buff fits P/D very well and I thank Anet for it

Roker
Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I hope you’re not surprised given that the head of the balance team is a freaking warrior.

I’m not. I am a little depressed that all we got were tooltip corrections but I am loving p/d now more than my d/d signet build.

Combat in PvE is:

Champion: “I’m going to hit you with my 1-hit melee attack.”
Me: “Nope. LOLOLOLOLOLOL”

Combat in WvW is like:

Some Guy: “I am going to esplode you in your face.”

Me: “Nope. Enjoy your cooldowns. LOLOLOLOL”

Some Guy: “No matter. I haz range.”

Me: (poof)

Some Guy: “kitten ”

Me: "Tell me how my caltrops taste. (covers Some Guy in caltrops)

Some Guy: “Ow! Ow! They taste like bleeding!”

Me: “Lolz0rz”

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

ok so i run p/d last 2 weeks in wvw and now with the addition of torment on shadow strike i dropped blinding powder for infil signet and scale venom for shadow refuge….obv not as balanced butwanted to see how a duel would go.

first 7 seconds of one particular fight : CND——Scale venom +Sneak Attack——dodge roll his attack——shadowstrike—-steal (2 sec stun 2 boons vigor at 1500 range)——shadow strike——infil signet——-shadowstrike——— GG

this cause in that 7 seconds or so he had:

3 x stacks of vulnerability
8 x stacks of bleed (rounded down as some ended)
2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison
9 x stacks of wsTorment (550 per sec per stack. 550 more if moving)

fight was over quick….trick is to obviously time the gapclosers same way you would CND/STEAL combo but slightly faster.

idk thought it was interesting.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

ok so i run p/d last 2 weeks in wvw and now with the addition of torment on shadow strike i dropped blinding powder for infil signet and scale venom for shadow refuge….obv not as balanced butwanted to see how a duel would go.

first 7 seconds of one particular fight : CND——Scale venom +Sneak Attack——dodge roll his attack——shadowstrike—-steal (2 sec stun 2 boons vigor at 1500 range)——shadow strike——infil signet——-shadowstrike——— GG

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

fight was over quick….trick is to obviously time the gapclosers same way you would CND/STEAL combo but slightly faster.

It’s hard to believe that to be a duel since whoever you are dueling didn’t even try to defend themselves. :/

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

It’s hard to believe that to be a duel since whoever you are dueling didn’t even try to defend themselves. :/

ikr….so funny. probably against a heavy armor golem in heart of the mists?

All is vain.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

it was only 1 duel…not every duel ends up like that. but i got luck wher the steal broke his heal and 2 secs of stun is enough time to follow the rest. especially when they dont timedodges right.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

it was only 1 duel…not every duel ends up like that. but i got luck wher the steal broke his heal and 2 secs of stun is enough time to follow the rest. especially when they dont timedodges right.

Still not believable, sorry. I can’t think of any profession that will simply die in a duel after 7s. I can understand if you down them in 2-3 seconds like how Backstab+Mug combo used to be able to pull off because that way they have no time to react — but 7s without reaction is simply fictional.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

Still not believable, sorry. I can’t think of any profession that will simply die in a duel after 7s. I can understand if you down them in 2-3 seconds like how Backstab+Mug combo used to be able to pull off because that way they have no time to react — but 7s without reaction is simply fictional.

ill record some duels and hoepfully i can replicate it. i wont MAKE it happen but if it happens ill show you. or atleast one thats close. when i say 7 secs it wasnt like i was counting. it felt pretty close to about that. and it was a warrior. not sure what kinda build. wasnt full glass wasnt high defense either. idk.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

2 x stacks of blind
1 x stack of Poison

ill record some duels and hoepfully i can replicate it. i wont MAKE it happen but if it happens ill show you. or atleast one thats close. when i say 7 secs it wasnt like i was counting. it felt pretty close to about that. and it was a warrior. not sure what kinda build. wasnt full glass wasnt high defense either. idk.

You claim it was 7s, so you must have gotten that number somewhere — but you don’t have to count to know how long it took, all you have to do is turn your chat time stamp on and you can see in your combat log how long it took you to down someone.

Besides, you don’t have to prove it at all. I simply find your claim hard to believe.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

@sir vincent …ok than.

lemme ask u this….is it possible to …as a thief…stack 7 or 9 stacks of torment on somebody?

in Thief

Travlane.5948

ok here i made this just now as an example. not the fastest time but its also in SPVP.

Imagine 25 stacks of bloodlust and food in wvw etc.

this is a difference 1275 condition dmg vs 1800-1900 in wvw. really dont think it can be done in 7-8 seconds ? :P

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

@sir vincent …ok than.

lemme ask u this….is it possible to …as a thief…stack 7 or 9 stacks of torment on somebody?

You can get 7 stacks fairly easily, of Torment. Pop Skale Venom, Shadow Strike, Steal, Shadow strike again. If you have Infiltrator’s Signet up, you can again teleport to your target and Shadow Strike for the 9th stack. You’ll definitely need at least 75% condition duration, and you won’t have 9 stacks for long as they start to drop off.

Residual Venoms would add 1 more stack, if traited for it.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

@sir vincent …ok than.

You can get 7 stacks fairly easily, of Torment. Pop Skale Venom, Shadow Strike, Steal, Shadow strike again. If you have Infiltrator’s Signet up, you can again teleport to your target and Shadow Strike for the 9th stack. You’ll definitely need at least 75% condition duration, and you won’t have 9 stacks for long as they start to drop off.

Residual Venoms would add 1 more stack, if traited for it.

wow why didnt i think residual venoms! too bad they wont affect shadow strike. i think venoms should add 1 stck of every condi for the next 10 seconds. this stacks stuff is a horrible setup

in Thief

Travlane.5948

how do you get 75% ….ii know 40 comes from food…..10 from rune perhaps…..10 from mug…..so usually 50 % with the 15 15 15 rune setup. 60 if i drop runes . i cant add more into DA line. it kills build.

in Thief

Fade.7658

Use the Giver weapons. 10% per weapon.

My build gets 75% from:

15% – Deadly Arts 15 points
40% – Rare Veggie Pizza
20% – A pair of Giver Weapons:

Giver Weapon:

+64 precision
+64 vitality
+10% condition duration

You could gain another 20% from Runes of Lyssa (2), and Runes of a Mad King (2).

Rune of the Nightmare offers 10% for 4 pieces, and was originally the runes I wanted to use, but I don’t care for PvE, and farming a dungeon for days to get the runes. The 6th bonus is nice, 5% chance to fear on hit.

If I was able to get the runes I needed, I’d try to work them in, so I could drop one of the Giver weapons.

Edit: I’m still not really using Shadow Strike all that much. It’s good for putting 4 stacks up when steal is up for extra pressure, but doesn’t quite jive with rotations and whatnot. I’m going to see if I can work it in.

(edited by Fade.7658)

in Thief

Travlane.5948

ahh giver weapons!….

by the way im almost positive you only get 10% total even if u have 2 weapons. i could be totally wrong but i thought thats the way it worked. same with sigils.

use shadow strike on melee builds then auto attack and wait til they get close again. works amazingly well on melee rangers/guardians/warriors

in Thief

Fade.7658

I’m using two, and I’m getting the full 20%, as the bonus is part of the weapon, not a sigil.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

ahh ok. wish they came with condi stats :P prec and condi dont go together. i never understood why anet did that

in Thief

Fade.7658

The undead rune’s 6th bonus that I use makes up for the loss of condition damage on the weapons imo. I’m still sitting at 1742 condition damage, before accounting for any might stacks, so it works out in the end.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

really dont think it can be done in 7-8 seconds ? :P

It seems that you got lost in the conversation. Your video further support my skepticism to your claim.

I said;
“It’s hard to believe that to be a duel since whoever you are dueling didn’t even try to defend themselves. :/”

Then you post a video beating up on a golem…. >.<’

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

FYI – you can get 47% condi-duration from gear alone:
2 giver weapons – 20%
2 Sup Lyssa runes – 10%
2 Sup Mad King runes – 10%
2 Major mad king runes – 7%

Add in pizza, and you’ve got 87% condi-duration (or 83% if you go for cheaper pizza)

That’s Without any points into deadly arts…throw in 20 points in DA and you’ve got 100% (and two runes to spare)

Note that conditions round up every 1/4 second, so if you’re trying to get a 1 second condition to last two seconds (like daze from sleight of hand), you only need 76% condition duration. – But if you want the most ticks out of bleeds, you may want to go for 100% (minimum 94%) to get the full 8 seconds, as opposed to 7 (on sneak attack/vital shot). You only get a damage tick every second, so 1/4 seconds won’t help any.

So if you go full condition gear, with pizza, and a bleed duration sigil, you’ll get 87% condi-duration for dazes – giving you 2 second dazes, and 97% bleed duration, giving you 8 second bleeds.

You can of course subtract pieces from that if you decide to put points in DA.

Edit : looks like I was wrong about Daze – apparently it’s not a condition, so you need specific runes/sigils for daze to increase…but it rounds up a whole second, so it may be worth it.

(edited by bobross.5034)

in Thief

Travlane.5948

It seems that you got lost in the conversation. Your video further support my skepticism to your claim.

I said;
“It’s hard to believe that to be a duel since whoever you are dueling didn’t even try to defend themselves. :/”

well sorry i didnt have a video of THAT duel. but even if its 1 in 100 u dont think thats likely? ok ill do a few duels tnite. ill def do it to 1 person. wanna make a bet in gold that you will renig on?

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Like every patch

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Like every patch

Warrior is ANET’s favorite class, will always be the most OP.

All is vain.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I said;

well sorry i didnt have a video of THAT duel. but even if its 1 in 100 u dont think thats likely? ok ill do a few duels tnite. ill def do it to 1 person. wanna make a bet in gold that you will renig on?

I’m not saying that it’s unlikely, what I’m saying is; you might have done it as you say, but it’s not a duel.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I said;

I’m not saying that it’s unlikely, what I’m saying is; you might have done it as you say, but it’s not a duel.

well it was a duel….. i dont carry infil sig on my wvw build. period. or basilisk venom. stun and BV can really disorient people and allow you to get off combos. try it out. u might be surprised.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I said;

well it was a duel….. i dont carry infil sig on my wvw build. period. or basilisk venom. stun and BV can really disorient people and allow you to get off combos. try it out. u might be surprised.

If that is so, then we go back to my original post;

That’s the part that is hard to believe, the part that you’re in a duel with someone who simply stood there. In your post, your stun only last for 2s, but the fight lasted for 7s according to you.

My question is, was your opponent has quite a big bugger that he was picking his nose while letting you kill him? Otherwise he could’ve defended himself in the next 5s.

But whatever, if you killed him, then you killed him. But I remain skeptical that in a “duel” someone will simply allow themselves to die without a fight, unless they are trying to remove a Total Recall tracking device.

in Thief

Fade.7658

Just did a little testing. Sigil of Agony does NOT affect Torment duration, at least according to the tool tips. I’m not sure what type of condition boosts Torment duration, other than the condition duration buff.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I said;

That’s the part that is hard to believe, the part that you’re in a duel with someone who simply stood there. In your post, your stun only last for 2s, but the fight lasted for 7s according to you.

My question is, was your opponent has quite a big bugger that he was picking his nose while letting you kill him? Otherwise he could’ve defended himself in the next 5s.

But whatever, if you killed him, then you killed him. But I remain skeptical that in a “duel” someone will simply allow themselves to die without a fight, unless they are trying to remove a Total Recall tracking device.

dodge roll is the only thing you can do during stun other than stun break. the full combo for 7-9 stacks only takes 1 second. :P ive been using scorp wire lately too. im in love with it i just had to find the way to use it correctly

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I said;

dodge roll is the only thing you can do during stun other than stun break. the full combo for 7-9 stacks only takes 1 second. :P ive been using scorp wire lately too. im in love with it i just had to find the way to use it correctly

I use Scorp Wire after Tactical Strike to keep my target CC’d. I never use it on the move or on moving targets.

Here’s my combo;
Stealth – TS – SW – IS – CnD – TS

This keeps them in place for a good four to five seconds (filter wants me to spell it out), which during a team fight, it’s like forever.

You can even spice this up a bit by swapping to an off-hand Pistol to extend the CC time using Headshots.

The key here is to time your CC correctly. You’ll know when you messed up because they will dodge away.

I like this combo a lot because it is persistent against stun breaks.